Chapter 18

ᴴᵉˡˡᵈᵒᵍ || ᵇ.ᵇ.ᵖ.ᶜ

‘’How far until we reached the bathroom?" Luhan whined from behind, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist. We went off on our own while the masters had yet another long meeting. Only this time— with the help of Jongin we were able to wander around for now. Of course we were being watched, Chanyeol didn’t want us causing trouble. For now we were lost in the unknown building. Trying our best to find our way around was difficult but fun nevertheless. I let out a small laugh at Luhan’s poking, he takes off running ahead of me soon after . I followed after him, turning down the hallways nearly bumping into tables and paintings. 

I finally catch up to my friend, reaching out to grab ahold of his shirt, though he seems to be faster than me, rounding the corner before I could get a good grip. With a tired groan I turn in that same direction, running straight into a hard chest. I stumble backwards falling onto the marble ground. I rub my behind, looking up to see who I exactly ran into. As soon as I saw who it was a string of apologizes fell from my mouth. Chanyeol stood there, arms crossed over his chest. 

''I-I'm so sorry!" I shout, using my hands to stand up as fast as I could. He just stares at me for a moment, his eyes moving to something behind me I look behind finding Luhan in the arms of Sehun, they seemed to be in their own world. 

''What were you two up to?" Chanyeol questions, finally breaking the silence. 

''W-We were playing tag..I guess.." I reply, scuffing my shoes on the floor to keep my anxiety from rising. He sighs in response and suddenly I'm lifted off my feet, being held like a child. My wide eyes lock with his own dark orbs. They looked—different, he didn’t seem so scary in this rare moment. 

''From now on play it in another hallway, if you were to have broken anything Junmyeon would've taken your head for it.'' I shudder at the thought. Dropping my chin onto his shoulder watching the paintings while we head back down to what I assume was the meeting room.

''Would you do that?" I question, twiddling my thumb in his fabric shirt. He glances down to look at me with a raised brow. 

''Of course." He answers making my body go rigid. I grasp his shirt tighter in fear. ''Pup, calm down. I'm joking." Chanyeol, joking? Now that was something I never thought I’d hear. 

''It's a ing vase, those are useless things, Junmyeon has always been an old man." I giggle at his words, his warm hand moves down to brush through my messy bangs, almost like he was petting my hair.

''Boss, Jongin needs you in the main hall. We think we found the swan’s newest hide out." I almost groaned at that, I had just began to drift off in his warm embrace. And a part of me knew I would never be touched so gently like this again. 

''Are you glaring at me, puppy?" The taller male teased causing Chanyeol to glance down at me, which I then drop my expression and tilt my head innocently. 

''Go to your bedroom, Minseok is there awaiting for you to return. Do me a favor and, Behave.'' 

Sehun guides me in the direction towards the bedroom. Luhan was beside him, yawning into the back of his hand. We fell into a peaceful silence, which I was grateful for. My mind was racing, so many thoughts ran through my head—I was confused, why was Chanyeol being nice today? I assume he was just tired, or drunk. Or maybe both. 

I shut the door behind me, and just like Chanyeol said Minseok was there sitting by the window with Jongdae standing behind him. I felt a bit—tense, like a stranger. After our last talk we hadn’t spoke at all. I didn’t say a word, I just sat down on the edge of the bed picking at my nails. 

‘’Baek..I-I’m sorry for snapping at you like I did. It was wrong of me..and you had every right to be worried.” Minseok was the first to speak, his voice was shaking. And the moment I heard his words I felt a tear fall—oh how I had missed him. 

‘’I-It’s okay..” I whisper lifting my head looking towards him with a wobbly smile. He returns the gesture rushing over wrapping his arms around my smaller frame, and I allow it. I cling to him like a child, finally after years I was back in my friends safe embrace. 

''I missed you so mu-" Minseok was cut off by a loud and sudden bang. I would come to remember that sound for the rest of my life. I could feel my body vibrate from the force of the blast. Jongdae jumped towards us, knocking us both off our feet shoving us under the bed reaching his hands up to shield our heads, watching the door with a dark expression.

''Stay here. Do not move!" He orders, I could tell Minseok wanted to argue, to follow after him—and he could he was trained for an attack like this. But one look from Jongdae had him powdering his gaze, staying beside me. 

''I'll keep you safe.’’ He promised, wrapping one arm around my waist guiding me further back until we were resting up against the wall. Luckily we were both small enough to fit under the bed. Other than the constant gun shots the room was dead silent. We were both on edge, waiting for Jongdae to return. And after a long wait I think we both started to believe he wasn’t returning.

“I say we go..find the others—we will be safer. I have no weapons..you can’t fight. It’s our only option.” Minseok tells me, and a part of me agreed—either we went out to find help or we die here once the enemy finds this room. The noises were growing closer and I knew the second option wouldn’t be long from now.

“O-Okay..we can do this..” I tried to stay strong, standing up with shaky breaths. I keep a firm grip on his hand, following after him. I wait and listen for every command he gives me. We wait behind each wall, pressing our backs up against the wall. He watches for any sign of the enemy, waving me over. And I follow like the obedient puppy I was taught to be. 

“Minseok..I-I don’t see anyone!” I finally break, tears building. I was terrified, we were on our own—we should’ve just waited like Jongdae told us. Now we were lost, surrounded by bodies and blood. The longer I stood here, in the bloodied hallways the sicker I felt. 

‘’Stop crying! I told you..I would keep you safe. We will find—duck!” He shouts, grabbing hold of my arm tugging me forward. I fall into his arms, screaming in surprise. Zooming past us both was a stray bullet. Only a second later and I’d be dead.

‘’You ing idiots! I could’ve killed you.” I never have felt so happy to hear Junmyeon’s voice, my head whips towards him my breathing erratic eyes clouded over by unshed tears. 

“Finally..” Minseok mumbled, also relieved to be found by someone we knew. Of course we didn’t trust him, but for now he was our only hope.

“Get up, follow me. We have to leave.” He grabs the both of our arms, rushing us to the exit. My eyes search the debris, no dead bodies of our friends—of the ones we knew. But no sign of Chanyeol. And even when we made it to the cars out back, he was no where to be seen.

“Get in Baekhyun!” Junmyeon shoves me into the car, my head hitting the door and even then I’m still breaking my neck searching for the monster. Was he dead? Would I be set free? Was this it?

Was I on my own?

Where had Chanyeol gone?