Chapter 2

The End of Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

The clock on the wall struck 11, and Jungkook stretched, grimacing when his back popped. A hand gave his shoulder a squeeze.

 

“Good job, Jungkook ah,” Seokjin complimented. “I didn’t expect you to do so well for the whole day.”

 

Jungkook smiled. “Thank you, hyung. I’m flattered.”

 

Seokjin smiled in return and clapped Jungkook’s shoulder before retreating back into the kitchen. 

 

The walk to the grocery store was warm and nice, the air still spring but turning into summer. He took out his phone and dialed in his mom’s number.

 

She didn’t pick up until the last ring. “Jungkook?”

 

“Mom, what do you want to eat tonight?”

 

“Anything.”

 

“Anything specific?”

 

“You decide. I got to go. Love you.” She hung up.

 

Jungkook stared at the end call screen and sighed. He put his phone back into his pocket as he went down the meat aisle, eyes scanning the different price tags. He settled for the cheapest one: it would go well with the potatoes and onions he had bought yesterday. There were tomatoes too. Tomato soup would be good.

 

By the time he snapped out of his thoughts, he found himself suddenly on the floor, stinging and everything spinning.

 

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” said someone, his voice deep and husky.

 

A hand appeared in Jungkook’s field of vision, and he grabbed it. 

 

He first noticed the wavy gray hair, and the dark, soulful eyes that he’d seen before but where?The man’s skin was so flawless and his lips were so naturally red that he looked as if he came out of a magazine. His attire supported it: a choker, a white collar shirt, and baby blue jeans. 

 

He scratched the back of his head. “Sorry again.”

 

Jungkook shook his head. “I’m sorry too.”

 

They exchanged a few more bows and apologies before the strangely familiar person - those eyes - left, disappearing without a trace. Jungkook went to the checkout and walked home without any more incident.

 

The house was dark and empty again. He flicked the light on, and even then, the house was just as gloomy as before. Even his breathing was loud in his ears.

 

If only the coffee shop closed just a little bit later.

 

He heaved a sigh and trudged to the kitchen, dropping the bags onto the counter. With his sleeves rolled up and the TV , he went to work.

 

Today, the TV was nothing more than a nice distraction from the overwhelming silence. The senseless chattering behind him along with the sizzling as the warm aroma swirled around him put him at peace - almost. The distractions were always momentary; they always leave him yearning for something more to fill the growing emptiness in him.

 

Under the voices from the TV, he heard the door opening. 

 

“Welcome home, mom,” he chirped.

 

“How much was it?” his mom asked the moment she stepped in, her shoulders sagging from the hours of bending over. 

 

“$5,” he answered. “I’m almost done.”

 

“Why is the TV on even though you’re not watching it?” his mom scolded, quickly turning it off. 

 

“Sorry.”

 

She sighed. “I don’t want the electric bill to go up again. We need to save as much as we can.”

 

“I know, mom.” He thought of telling her about his full-time job, but now was not the time. 

 

With the TV turned off, the house was devoid of any sound except for the sizzling of the pan, but he didn’t mind the loss of noise. Not anymore.

 

He took the pan and pot off the stove and poured the contents into bowls. “Here, mom.”

 

She trudged over tiredly and slumped onto the old chair that creaked from years of use. After the food was placed onto the table, Jungkook leaned over the counter, propping his head on his palm.

 

He smiled when his mom took the first bite and then the next. “How is it, mom?” he asked.

 

“Good,” she replied as she ate another mouthful. “Stop staring at me and eat.”

 

He didn’t budge from his spot and grinned. “Your son can’t appreciate his mother?”

 

“No,” she said, never removing her eyes fro

Please log in to read the full chapter