three

We Need Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Thunder boomed, violent to the ears, followed by a flashing strike of lightning in a matter of seconds into her dark space, Chaewon's long thoughts dispersed through the thin air in a matter of seconds.

Chaewon jolted from her bed, hand caressing her chest to soothe herself down. She can feel her palms sweating gushingly as she clasped them together, sticky when it comes in contact with her skin.

 

Chaewon never had any liking towards lightning and thunder.

 

She hated it to the core, especially for someone used to possess astraphobia when she was still a kid. Well, she did grow out of these feelings as she ages and it lessens every time it happened, but it doesn't change the fact that she will be left with excessive sweat and slightly trembling body during the everlasting process.

 

She switch on the night lamp next to her bed. Dim orange hues illuminating the cozy room, and she finds a warm sentiment diffuse across her inner side. Mind in duty to decide what is probably best for her to do at this moment, mostly to distract herself from getting the phobia her strength in and out.

 

Maybe getting a glass of water is all she needs.

 

So, Chaewon gets out of her comforting blanket, shoves her plushie aside as it tumbles on its round head, and slips on her slippers to go to the kitchen.

 

She twists the doorknob and pulled it to her direction and as soon as it comes to view, the bright light from the outside engulfing her, blinding her eyes painfully. She covers her eyes with the back of her hand, trying to adjust to the sudden interruption. The other hand proceeds to shut the door close.

 

Her eyes peeking through and darts to Minjoo's room next to the toilet. There's no light below the door. She had no idea if the younger girl was asleep already. It's kind of weird to think about it. Chaewon was busy finishing her homework thus she didn't have time to check on the latter. But, no matter what the case was, Minjoo will always find time to barge into her room, interrupting her works, playfully lying on her bed while conducting small talks and sometimes even childish bickers whenever they feel like it.

 

But today, nothing happened.

 

She just shrugs it off, making a conclusion that the younger girl was soundly asleep and walks her way towards the stairs leading to the kitchen. Her ears can still detect the rain serenading every each person into the peace of the night. Also, the faint sound of the thunder indicating it's slowly disappearing into the misty dark clouds. Chaewon sighs in relief, no longer having to deal with such atrocious event.

 

She then picks up a green mug from the cupboard and headed straight to the fridge. Fluttering material captured in her front view in a flash. A bashful smile forming on her face. She traces the customized fridge magnet - exclusively the one with their picture - with her delicate fingers. The creases of her eyes wrinkles along, heart overflowing with happiness.

 

It was a moment full of euphoric away from all the distraught, both hands splashing water to each other while laughing joyfully under the scorching sun.

 

The previously captured moment by Mr Choi always softens her heart enough to take a triple glances every single time she passed by the fridge. It was when they had a day trip to a secluded beach when Minjoo needed a quick escape from her parents and also other things that she couldn't find the words to tell Chaewon.

 

Until this day she got no clue for it, but she wouldn't want to press Minjoo further for something so personal to her. It's partially better this way.

Regardless, she misses that moment dearly.

 

Her eyes then blinking rapidly at the familiar sticky notes plastered on the fridge aligned with their picture.

 

'Family dinner. Be back around 11. See you, Chae.'

-   Min-night    -

 

That concludes the reason why her night today as gloomy as the muggy sky after the rain subsides. Well it's not like rainbow will appear in the nighttime. There's moonbow though, but it's totally rare for one to catch it on sight.

Like one in a million.

Like me and her.

Chaewon diverts her mind again from her thoughts and her lips pointed upwards as she unconsciously pouting. She totally forgets about the formal event

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter