Chapter IV

EXpeditiOn #1 - Kappa Kontingency

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo arrived at the lake close to 7. Kyungsoo was a little disappointed – he had hoped to try new food at a well-received restaurant, and get some cooking tips. He wasn’t too hungry. Chanyeol, on the other hand, claimed he was starving, to the point where a horse wouldn’t be enough. He was glad that Kyungsoo bought food at the store, otherwise, he might’ve died.
The boys sat down on a blanket that Chanyeol had brought, and Kyungsoo started preparing some sandwiches. It was then when Chanyeol’s phone started ringing. Baekhyun was calling.

‘Heeey, what’s happening?’ asked Chanyeol. He got up and started walking around, staring intently at the lake.

‘We’re done with the concert, and coming to you.’

‘Already?’                                        

‘Yes, don’t miss me too much, dude.’

‘Did you save us any food from that rich people restaurant?’ yelled Jongdae.

‘No, we were too late; we never made it.’

‘Are you for real?’ asked Baekhyun.

‘Yeah,’ frowned Chanyeol. ‘But we’re at the lake now, and Soo is fixing  food.’

‘Thank god for Do Kyungsoo.’ he heard Minseok say.

‘Right?’ said Baekhyun. ‘We would’ve starved otherwise.’

‘We could just get food on the way, though.’ noted  Minseok.

‘Kyungsoo’s cooking, why would we do that?’

‘Actually,’ started Chanyeol. He thought he had seen something move. No fish could be that close to the shore. ‘Kyungsoo didn’t buy that much.’

‘You bought like 15 cucumbers,’ said  Kyungsoo.

‘They’re not for eating!’ yelled Chanyeol. From the other end, Chanyeol could hear the guys gasping for air due to too much laughter. ‘That’s not what I meant.’

‘Do I even want to know?’ said Minseok.

‘We know what you meant, Yeollie.’ added Baekhyun. Jongdae was still snickering in the background. ‘I’ll call you when I’m near. Kisses.’

‘Love you.’

 

Chanyeol rushed to his bag. He took out the cucumbers, and approached the shore. Kyungsoo stopped cooking, and watched. Chanyeol broke the cucumbers in half. He spread them around the lake, all except for one. He removed his shirt, trousers, and slippers, and went in the lake.

‘What are you doing?’ yelled Kyungsoo.

‘Please be quiet!’

Chanyeol got closer to the place he’d seen the thing. He started waving the cucumber in the air, in hope that the smell would spread. Kyungsoo got up and got closer to the shore. He could barely see anything – it was already dark outside, and his eyesight wasn’t helping.

‘Chanyeol, what the hell?’ he yelled at the younger boy.

‘I’m doing something.’ Chanyeol yelled back.

‘What exactly?’

‘You’ll see. Now shush.’

A few moments later, Chanyeol let out a scream louder than ever. Kyungsoo stood in shock. Chanyeol dropped the cucumber and started flailing his arms, still screaming.

‘Get off! Don’t touch my !’ Tears started flowing down his cheeks. He started running back to the shore, the creature still attached to his back.

‘Chanyeol, what’s that thing?’ It was hard to tell, but it was the size of a child, and it looked like a strange, green monkey.

‘Kyungsoo, help me! He’s trying to steal my soul.’

‘How am I supposed to help?’

‘Take it off!’

Chanyeol ran to Kyungsoo, turning so that he could reach the thing. Kyungsoo didn’t know what to do; he’d never seen anything like it before.

‘Pull his arms, or move his head down.’ cried Chanyeol.

‘What?’

‘Do it!’

And so, Kyungsoo started pulling the creature’s slimy arms. He felt like throwing up. It let go, but it also let out a piercing scream. The thing fell to the ground, still screaming. Chanyeol was still crying. Kyungsoo was even more  nauseous. The skin of the creature had the most peculiar texture, and he didn’t like it. He took a better look, and saw its skin was green in some places, and yellow in others. Its feet were webbed, and it had a shell on its back.

‘Please don’t hurt me.’ said the creature.

‘You, you speak?’ said Kyungsoo.

‘Yes, it’s a kappa.’

‘What?’ Kyungsoo connected the dots. ‘This is… Chanyeol. You’re an .’

‘I’m sorry, Soo. I had to check for myself.’ Chanyeol turned to the frightened kappa. ‘We won’t hurt you, as long as you don’t hurt us.’

The kappa looked at Chanyeol, not sure if to trust him. Chanyeol crouched in front of him, and offered his hand. ‘I promise.’ The smaller being hesitated. Chanyeol gave him a reassuring smile. He took his hand.

‘You can eat all the cucumbers, they’re for you.’

‘Thank you.’

‘Can we sit down and talk?’

‘Yes.’ Chanyeol helped him gather all the cucumbers back, and returned to the blanket. Kyungsoo sat down too, but further away. He was angry, scared, and shocked at the same time. He ate his sandwich quietly, and watched the kappas every move.

‘Do you have a name?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘I do, but you would not be able to say it.’

‘Why, is it cursed?’ asked Chanyeol.

‘No. Humans are incapable of making such sounds.’ replied the kappa, and went back to munching on the cucumbers.

‘Is there anything we can call you, then?’ said Kyungsoo.

‘Humans do not speak to me usually. The few who did referred to me as monster, abomination, or thing. You could call me one of those if you would like.’

Chanyeol turned to Kyungsoo. He looked like he was about to cry. ‘We could give you a nickname, if you’d like.’ said the smaller of men.

‘A nickname?’ asked the kappa.

‘It’s like, a special name for you, from us?’

‘I would like that.’

‘How about Chen?’ said Chanyeol.

‘Chen?’ said the kappa and Kyungsoo at the same time.

‘It suits you.’

‘Jongdae will kill you.’

‘I think I like Chen.’ said the kappa.

‘Nice to meet you, Chen.’

‘Nice to meet you too.’

 

From the distance, Kyungsoo saw CBX. They waved, and Kyungsoo waved back.

‘Whose kid is that?’ asked Baekhyun.

‘It’s not a child.’ answered Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun ran to him. As he got closer, the shape of the kappa got clearer. When he reached them, he fell to his knees.

‘What the hell?’ Baekhyun was petrified. Jongdae and Minseok caught up with him.

‘Don’t be rude,’ said Chanyeol. ‘This is Chen. Chen, these are my other friends, Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Minseok.’

‘Nice to meet you.’ said Chen.

Baekhyun stood there with his mouth open. Jongdae cringed.

‘Hi.’ whispered Minseok.

‘What are you?’ asked Jongdae.

‘He’s a kappa.’ explained Kyungsoo. ‘Chanyeol lied and brought us here to find a kappa.’

‘Dude, that’s so uncool.’ said Jongdae.

‘He also named the kappa after you.’

Jongdae narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol. ‘You’re an . A big stinky .’

‘Why are you ?’ asked Minseok.

‘I was in the lake, and I’m not .’

‘Almost’ said Baekhyun.

‘I didn’t bring a towel, I’m air drying, ok?’

Chen kept eating his cucumbers, and watched the boys. He thought he liked them. They seemed nice.

‘I think we have some towels in the rental car. I’ll get you some.’ said Minseok

‘We can’t bear the sight of you bare anymore.’ said  Jongdae as he brought his right hand to his forehead.

‘Are you a child?’ said Baekhyun to Chen.

‘No, I am almost 300 years old.’

‘Then, you knew the village idiot?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘You met Chanyeol before?’ said Baekhyun.

‘Today is the first time I meet Chanyeol. Who is the village idiot?’

Minseok returned with a towel, and helped Chanyeol dry off. ‘Thanks.’

‘Don’t worry about it.’ said Minseok.

‘Kyungsoo is talking about a boy who was abducted by a kappa one night. His great grandson said he got bags of money every year.’ explained Chanyeol

‘I know of him, but I did not abduct him.’

‘Someone else did?’ asked Kyungsoo.

 

Chen went on to tell the boys about the thriving kappa community in Kyoto. There had been many of them, but, over the years, some died, and some left and never came back. It was another kappa that had met with Mackerel Heaven’s owner great grandfather, but he did not abduct him; he had employed his help, for he was of a similar size to a kappa. To repay him, the kappa gave him money every year. Chen told them stories of his youth, of what he had witnessed over the years in the area, and news other being shared of the other regions in the country. Chen even mentioned this place he believed the missing kappas were.

'I heard a whisper, that many beings, unlike you, went on a journey for many moons to a long forgot country. Through land and water they reach a place they would be welcome.

'Why don't you go too? asked Chanyeol.

'It's dangerous, and I am scared.

'Scared of what? The trip? asked Kyungsoo.

'The journey is long, yes. But it is not that which frightens me.

'What is it then? said Chanyeol

'It is not for you to know.

 

  Chen wouldn't budge, so the boys told him about EXO, and shared stories about the band. Baekhyun even burst into a song, and soon, the rest of the boys joined him. Chen was overjoyed at the performance; he had never heard such music before. He was glad to have met Chanyeol.

 

‘It’s pretty late, we should head back.’ said Kyungsoo.

 ‘It was nice meeting you, Chen. I hope to meet you again soon.’ said Chanyeol, crouching in front of the kappa.

‘It was nice meeting all of you. I am happy to meet Chanyeol, and his friends.’ Chanyeol seemed like he was about to cry. Jongdae’s expression softened too. ‘I am happy for the new name, and I am thankful for the food.’

‘Can I hug you?’ asked Chanyeol.

‘Hug?’

‘It’s something friends do.’

‘Of course, friend.’

Chanyeol hugged his new found friend. Baekhyun decided he wanted a hug too. Jongdae shook hands with Chen, he was no longer upset to share his namesake. Kyungsoo was busy packing their things, and Minseok was preparing their trash for recycling. Not far from where they were sitting, there was some rustling.

‘Did you hear that?’ asked Minseok.

‘Hear what?’ said Kyungsoo.

‘There’s some noises coming from behind us.’

‘I didn’t hear anything.’

‘Me neither.’ added Chanyeol.

‘Hard to believe, with those big ears of yours.’ said Jongdae.

‘Step aside from the kappa!’ yelled a man. Behind him were several others, some with weapons, and some holding a large net.  The boys looked at each other.

‘You must run.’ said Chen. And so they did. Chen ran back towards the lake, but the boys were targeted too.

‘Be careful!’ yelled Chanyeol at Chen. Too many men, much larger than Chen, were tailing him. All of the boys, save for Chanyeol, were getting closer and closer to the rental car. Chanyeol kept looking back at Chen, his heart filled with worry. One wrong step, and he tripped over a boulder. He landed flat on his face, and twisted his ankle in such a manner that a snap could be heard. Chanyeol let out a scream. Chen was almost in the lake, when it happened. Kyungsoo turned around too.

‘Go to the car! I’ll help him.’ said Kyungsoo to the others. He ran back to Chanyeol, and tried to pick him up. ‘Come on, big guy.’

‘It hurts so much.’ cried Chanyeol.

‘I know, but we really have to go. You can do this.’

‘I don’t know.’

‘I will help.’ said Chen, who had run back to Chanyeol.

‘How?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘No! You need to go back!’ yelled Chanyeol, but Chen didn’t listen. He fixed  Chanyeol’s ankle in a matter of moments. The men in pursuit were about to reach them.

‘Leave, friends.’ said Chen.

‘No, we can’t!’

‘Chanyeol, come on.’

‘No, no.’

Kyungsoo pulled Chanyeol in the opposite direction, but he wouldn’t budge. Chen tilted his head down, and fell to the ground. Chanyeol started screaming. He picked up Chen’s body, and ran in the lake. He managed to place him in the water. Kyungsoo wanted to run. They were both caught by the men, and handcuffed. Kyungsoo turned to the other boys, terrified, and nodded.

Minseok yelled at Baekhyun and Jongdae to get in the car.

‘We can’t leave them there!’ said Baekhyun.

‘We can’t help them if we’re all caught!’ said Minseok. ‘Get in.’