Chapter III

EXpeditiOn #1 - Kappa Kontingency

It was 5 in the afternoon when Kyungsoo decided he would become one with his seat.

‘I don’t think I can move anymore.’

‘I’ll carry you if I have to, we have a reservation, Soo.’

‘I know… But… I can’t fit any more food in.’

‘I read the food was really good. We need to go.’

‘Is it far?’

‘We need to go back to the hotel, first. And a grocery store, I have to buy some stuff.’

‘Why didn’t you get your stuff before we left? And why are you going to a grocery store if  we're going to eat?'

I'm not getting food, I meant a konbini. Think of it as an opportunity to burn the calories!’

‘I really hate you sometimes.’

 

While Chanyeol paid for the food, Kyungsoo walked outside and ordered a taxi. He wasn’t going to get lost again. He’d barely relaxed since he arrived.

 

‘Get in, Yeol.’

‘What? You got a taxi?’

‘Do I have to remind you how long it took us to find this restaurant?’

‘I definitely know our way back, now...

‘Let’s not risk it. We have a reservation at what time?’

‘Six.’

‘That’s in 45 minutes.’

‘It’s not like they’ll give our table to someone else.’

‘You said it was a posh place.’

‘Yeah, Michelin.’

‘Chanyeol!’

 

It was 5.37 when they arrived at the hotel. Kyungsoo told the driver to wait so Chanyeol could get whatever it was that he needed so badly. Chanyeol sprinted to his room and took a heavy bag out of his suitcase. A few minutes later, he was back in the car.

 

‘Can we go to the closest convenience store, please?’ asked Chanyeol.

‘Of course.’ replied the driver.

‘Thank you!’

‘What’s in the bag?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘Oh, some things that I need.’

‘And the convenience store?’

‘Some other things I need?’

‘Chanyeol, are you hiding Toben in the bag?’

‘What? No!’

‘What’s inside then?’

‘I’ll tell you later, promise? It’s nothing bad.’ The car stopped. ‘Thank  you!’

 

It was now 5.52. Kyungsoo was starting to doubt they would arrive on time. Chanyeol sure took his sweet time in that convenience store. Or so Kyungsoo thought. 

In the store, one could find Chanyeol shifting from one foot to the other. In his arms he had around fifteen cucumbers, duct tape, garbage bags, and rope.

‘Excuse me, I’m in a hurry. Do you think I could cut to the front?’ asked Chanyeol the salary man ahead of him.

‘We’re all in a hurry, kid.’

‘I’m sorry. But I really have to go.’

The man didn’t budge. He didn’t even look back at Chanyeol. He had a cart full of groceries, and he was going to place all items excruciatingly slow on the conveyor belt.

Chanyeol’s arms were starting to hurt. He wanted to check the time, but he hadn’t got a cart or basket, so he had nowhere to place his items. It felt like slowed down. When the man in front of him finally left, Kyungsoo entered the store with his Chanyeol’s bag.

 

‘What are you doing here?’

‘Chanyeol, it’s 6.15. It cost us more to wait than to take different cars.’

‘It’s not my fault it took so long.’

‘People leave work at this hour, of course it’s going to be crowded.’

‘It wouldn’t have taken so long if the old man in front of me-‘

‘Excuse me, will you pay cash or card?’ interrupted the cashier.

‘Card.’

‘Thank you.’

‘I’m certain we lost the reservation.’ added Kyungsoo.

‘Let’s head to the lake then.’

‘What are we going to eat?’

‘I thought you were full from the sushi?’

‘I think I need some anger food.’

‘I have a bunch of cucumbers.’

‘Wait for me outside, I’ll grab something from the store.’