Prologue

EXpeditiOn #1 - Kappa Kontingency

 

Kyungsoo was sitting in a cold, white room. There was nothing in it, aside from a table with three chairs, and two security cameras.

‘Why don’t you start from the beginning?’ asked the old man sitting in front of Kyungsoo.

‘I was washing my dogs in the bathroom. I’d taken Meokmul for a walk and he rolled in some mud, then Huchu saw him, and decided – ’ answered Kyungsoo.

‘Not that close to the beginning, Kyungsoo.’ interrupted the man. Kyungsoo frowned and crossed his arms.

‘As I was saying, I was washing my dogs when Chanyeol came in running, yelling for me to join him on a, as he called it, ‘super relaxing trip’ to Kyoto, where we ‘would become one with nature. ’ Oh, and he had already booked the place and got tickets so he guilted me into it. ’ replied the younger.

‘Go on.’

‘I agreed, and started preparing. Our flight was in three days.’

‘What happened when you arrived in Japan?’

‘We got off the plane, went to get our suitcases –’

‘Kyungsoo, don’t make this harder than it has to be.’

‘I’m simply answering your questions. I’m still unsure as to why I’m being questioned.’

‘You know very well why you’re here.’

‘I actually don’t. I also don’t understand how you can interrogate me like this and not allow me a lawyer.’

‘Mister Do, this situation is much graver, and you know it. Now tell me, what happened when you got to Japan?'

‘We went to the resort, we checked in, and enjoyed the surroundings.’

‘And nothing happened?’

‘Nothing worth mentioning, no.’

‘Are you completely sure about that?’

‘Actually, no – something did happen.’

‘Well?’

‘Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Minseok showed up on the last day. They’d just returned from their concert and crashed our party.’

‘How is that relevant?’

‘Well, it would be hard to understand if you don’t know how Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Jongdae get when they’re together.’ Kyungsoo explained with a smile.

‘Mister Do, why don’t we speak of the creature that you and Mister Park encountered at the lake.’

‘Sir, the only creature I encountered in that lake was Chanyeol.’

‘So why did you run away when the local police arrived?’

‘We were frightened, and we’d done nothing wrong.’

‘It would really be easier for you to just cooperate.’

‘I have nothing else to say. Can I use the restroom now? You’ve been keeping me here for hours, and I don’t think I can hold it in anymore.’

‘We’re not done here, Mister Do.’

‘If you don’t let me use the restroom, only one thing will be done in this room.’ replied Kyungsoo, looking the elder straight in the eye.

‘Fine. Go.’

‘Thank you.’ smiled Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo got up and walked toward the door. When he opened it, he was faced with one guard to his right, and another across, waiting in front of a door similar to the one he had just walked through.

‘Are you going to be escorting me to the restroom?’ asked Kyungsoo

‘Yes, now move along.’ said the first guard.

‘Both of you?’

‘We wouldn’t want you to go somewhere you shouldn’t now, would we?’

‘Yeah, don’t get any funny ideas kid.’ replied the second guard.

‘I wasn’t.’

 

As Kyungsoo walked towards the restroom, he took in his surroundings once more. There seemed to be no more guards on the corridor, but he remembered two more outside the hall, and a dozen more on the way to the ground floor. This facility was very plain. There was a constant in everything and that was white – white floors, white walls, white lights. And somehow, no spec of dust. This was amplified by all the glass surrounding everything. Almost anything you did could be seen by someone else, and that was without all the surveillance cameras. When Kyungsoo reached the restroom, he turned to the guards.

 

‘Would you mind waiting outside? I won’t be able to go knowing you’re right outside the stall?’

‘Is this kid serious?!’ asked the second guard.

‘I wouldn’t normally request something like this, but I do feel I have an incoming case of explosive diarrhoea. Surely you’d understand.’

‘Jesus Christ. What’s wrong with these kids they picked up?’ complained the same guard.

‘Just go.’ replied the first.

 

As soon as Kyungsoo entered, he could hear some low thuds above him, irregularly timed. They seemed to be coming from the vents near the sinks. Then, the thuds got louder. And louder. And the fire alarm started.

 

‘You think you’re gonna be in there longer? We gotta evac.’ asked the first guard

‘A few minutes, ok?’

 

Suddenly, two men fell from the vents. They were in full black outfits, with plain surgery masks, and ski goggles.

 

‘Who… who are you?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘It’s us, .’ replied Baekhyun, lowering his mask.

‘What the hell are you two doing here?’ whispered Kyungsoo.

‘No time for that, Minseok bought us exactly 3 minutes with that alarm. He’s going to distract the guards while we get Chanyeol.’ explained Jongdae

‘I was going to save Chanyeol.’ replied Kyungsoo

‘Oh yeah, and how were you going to do that?’ asked Baekhyun

‘This is not the time, Baek. We’re going with the plan. Kyungsoo, follow our lead.’ said Jongdae.

 

Jongdae slowly opened the door the corridor and looked outside. The guards were gone. He motioned for the others to join him. Baekhyun put his mask back on, and trailed behind Jongdae.

 

‘He’s in here, right?’ Jongdae motioned to the door opposite from where Kyungsoo was interrogated. Kyungsoo nodded.

‘Baek, stand guard. I’m going in.’

 

Jongdae twisted the handle and entered the interrogation room. Chanyeol heard him and turned his head, looking confused. His eyes were red and swollen.

 

‘Are you here to kill me?’ cried Chanyeol.

 

Jongdae hurried to his side, and whispered to him.

 

‘I’m Jongdae. Baek and Min are outside. We came to save you. We got Soo too. Let’s go.’ explained Jongdae

‘I thought they were going to finish me off. They said that they killed Kyungsoo-‘

‘Kyungsoo is safe. Let’s go.’

 

Jongdae dragged Chanyeol to the corridor. When Chanyeol saw Kyungsoo, he pulled him in a tight hug. Kyungsoo was confused, but hugged him back.

‘Jesus, what happened to you?’ asked Baekhyun.

‘He thought they’d killed Soo.’ said Jongdae. ‘We need to hurry, Minseok is waiting for us.’

 

The boys ran towards the corridor’s exit. They entered the floor’s waiting area, and were supposed to meet Minseok next to a door to the far right of the room, near the lifts.

‘Something feels wrong.’ said Kyungsoo.

‘Yeah, Minseok isn’t here.’ replied Baekhyun.

‘You don’t think they got him, do you?’ whispered Chanyeol.

 

Jongdae pulled out his communicator. ‘Min, we’re at the meeting spot. Do you copy? Over.’ He looked at the other boys, his eyebrows turning into a V. ‘Come in, Min. Over.’

 

‘Oh my god… They really did.’ Chanyeol dropped to the floor and started crying again. ‘This is all my fault.’

Kyungsoo kneeled next to the taller boy, and held him.

‘It’s fine, I’m sure he’s here somewhere.’ reassured Kyungsoo.

‘We need to get going, we can’t wait for him.’ said  Baekhyun.

Chanyeol slammed his fists to the ground. ‘How can you say something like that?!’

‘I’m saying we don’t have time and we risk getting caught, get your together.’

 

Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol off the floor and went for the staircases.

 

Jongdae’s communicator started buzzing. ‘Minseok coming in. Do you copy? Over.’

They all turned to the source of the sound. Chanyeol wiped his tears with his blouse.

‘Jongdae here, copy. I got all the guys. Where are you? Over.’

‘Tell him I’m glad he’s alive!’ said Chanyeol. Baekhyun glared.

‘I’m in the back, something came up. But hurry, Sehun is coming to pick us up asap. Over.’ said Minseok.

‘We’re on our way. Over.’

‘You heard Jongdae, let’s go Yeollie.’ said Baekhyun.

‘Yeah, yeah. I’m coming.’

‘Who else is involved in this?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘What do you mean?’ asked Jongdae.

‘I mean, Sehun is picking us up? If he’s in this too he won’t be safe.’

‘Everyone agreed to help,’ said Baekhyun. ‘We’re all in this together.’

‘We are one.’ added Chanyeol.

 

The boys reached Sehun’s car in no time. He and Minseok were waiting right outside.

‘Does anyone else feel like we got away too easily?’ asked Kyungsoo.

‘No, we’re EXO; the government wouldn’t kill us. It would cause a riot.’ said Baekhyun.

‘What are you talking about? This is not a government institution.’

‘How do you know that? They wouldn’t reveal things like this to the public.’

‘Did you see the building? The weapons they had when they caught us? This has to be funded by someone.’

‘We can look into that later, right now we need to leave.’

‘Speaking of leaving, how did Sehun manage to park in the building’s car park with no issues?’

‘I gave the guard some money, said I was waiting to pick up some friends.’ said Sehun.

‘And he just let you park?’

‘That’s what he said, Soo.’ cut in Baekhyun. ‘Let’s go for now.’

‘So, we got a bit of an issue.’ said Minseok. ‘There’s six of us, two of which are giants, and only five seats.’

‘Chanyeol takes the front and the rest of us will squeeze in the back.’ said Jongdae.

‘That’s not safe.’

‘Yeah, I didn’t drive all the way here to get anyone injured.’ said  Sehun

‘Then, one of us will have to squeeze in the trunk.’ replied Baekhyun.

Jongdae smiled. ‘Ok, then. You go.’

‘Hold on… I didn’t say it had to be me. You’re smaller, you  go.’

‘It was your idea, you go,’

‘I could do it!’ said Chanyeol.

‘No!’ said everyone else.

‘Think of it as a challenge!’ continued Chanyeol.

‘The only challenge here is to get home safely.’ said Minseok.

‘Which is why you’ll take the trunk.’ added Jongdae.

Minseok turned to face the younger man; if looks could kill, Jongdae would be deader than dead.

‘I’ll do it, let’s just go already. This place doesn’t feel too safe.’ said Kyungsoo.

He opened the trunk, and got inside.

‘If I didn’t know better I could’ve sworn it was made for you.’ said Jongdae.

Kyungsoo closed the trunk. He turned Sehun’s gym clothes into a pillow, and went to sleep. About an hour later, he was woken up by Baekhyun’s shaking. He refused to open his eyes.

 

‘Kyungsoo… Wake up. Kyungsoo… Soo… Do Kyungsoo…’ murmured Baekhyun, still shaking him.

‘Do you think he died?’ asked Jongdae.

‘You killed Kyungsoo?! You told us he was fine!’ yelled  Jongin from the doorstep.

‘What?!’ Chanyeol ran to the trunk. Kyungsoo was still pretending to be asleep. The only way to get some peace and quiet around here.

‘Kyungsoo, please wake up. I love you. I’m sorry I dragged you to Japan like that.’ said Chanyeol.

‘I’m gonna get a bucket of water, stay here.’ said Baekhyun.

With that, Kyungsoo bolted from his position, and hit his head on the roof of the car. He winced and grabbed the top of his head. ‘God damn it, Baek!’

‘I’m not the one pretending to be dead.’ retorted Baekhyun.

‘Let’s get inside, Soo,’ said Jongin. He helped him out of the car, and held on to his arm. ‘You have a lot to tell us.’