Chapter Eight

Click, Click

When Woozi first made his instagram he made it right after you spammed Vernon’s instagram account with attention. You knew that there was no correlation but you still noted that it did in fact happen right after you did that. He posted one picture, and you were sure that would be about it. Everyone was sure he wouldn’t be active on Instagram.

You were walking with your friend, a Minghao bias and you started to spam his account, leaving comments on almost every picture. Moments later and Woozi had posted five pictures of lights.

It was nearly three in the morning in Korea at the time.

You spammed Seungkwan’s instagram account with attention because of course the crackheaded boy was one of your favorites, and by the time you had woken up the next day Woozi posted four pictures of him painting.

The idea that Woozi was doing any of this in direct correlation to you was absolutely ridiculous, and quite honestly you didn’t really think that he was. Still, the more you got to know Woozi, the more that you wondered how much he knew that he wasn’t telling you.

You were at the grocery store again and you ran into Seokmin. He recognized you immediately.

“Hey, I’m so glad I ran into you!” He said politely. You dropped into a low polite bow and gave him a gentle smile.

“I should make a checklist of Seventeen members I run into on these streets, I’ve almost made it through the whole group,” you joked politely. Seokmin laughed.

“Look this is important, there’s an award show tonight-”

“One of the M-Net countdown’s right? Gfriend and you are both performing,” you agreed. “I think even Oneus is going to be there.”

“You’ve got to be there,” Seokmin agreed. “Woozi is beyond nervous. He’s been reading a lot of hate comments, and if we don’t win tonight… He’ll want to see you there.”

“Right yeah,” you agreed, you squeezed your hands anxiously behind your back. “But how-”

“I’ll work it all out, don’t worry,” he assured. You nodded and then tilted your head.

“Can I… Can I see him before the concert?” You asked tentatively. Seokmin pressed his lips together tightly, seeming to think it over. Then he nodded.

“Follow my lead.”

He dressed you up in a face mask with “uwu” written across it, a jeweled cat ear headband, one of those “eat, sleep, kpop” shirts in all korean and shorts and thigh highs.

You didn’t mind the shorts and thigh highs, but you did look like a huge koreaboo.

You didn’t know why this was the best way to get you in to see Woozi but…

“This is the fangirl that won that contest to meet the idols behind the competition today!” Seokmin announced. All eyes were on you, and it made your face burn. This was not the first impression you had wanted to make before some of your favorite kpop groups. You ducked your head poiltely as Seokmin dragged you around the room.

You kept your heart in check and introduced yourself politely to the idols, telling them honestly just how much every one of them meant to you. You nearly fainted when you got to meet a handful of the idols there, to the point where Seokmin elbowed you to remind you why you were really there. As if you could forget that.

“He’s in the dressing room,” Seokmin finally decided. He pressed his eyes shut and squeezed the bridge of his nose. “Look, he’s going to act unhappy to see you-”

“I’ve got this,” you interrupted confidently. “No need for a pep talk. Just let me see him.”

Seokmin gestured for you to go into the room and so you did.

Jihoon was the only one in there. He had earbuds in his ears and a mostly blank look on his face. The only thing that gave away that he was in anyway nervous was his hands.

In Going Seventeen when the music video for Home first dropped, you had gotten to see a few of the boys watching it. At the same time as you had, you had been ecstatic. You had been ecstatic until your eyes fell on Woozi. His hands were what caught your attention. He was watching the video with a totally nonchalant look on his face but his hands were nervously entangled among one another, squeezing each other to no end. That was the first time that you noticed one of the boys nervous quirks.

He was doing it now.

You squatted down in front of him and tilted your head, a smile crossing your face. Your eyes met, and you mouthed a hi.

He didn’t smile at you, just took his ear buds from his ears.

“How did you get here?” He asked. You shrugged.

“DK,” you replied thoughtfully. “You excited for the big concert?”

Jihoon looked away from you and didn’t speak.

“Wooz, the song is incredible, you know that? Do you know exactly how talented you and the rest of the boys are?”

He still didn’t speak to you, his hands kept squeezing each other, so you slid into the space next to him.

“There are going to be people who don’t like your music, and there are going to be groups that make better songs than you do,” you admitted. “Sometimes songs that are great aren’t going to win the awards they deserve or get the attention they deserve but you know what’s great about being a member of Seventeen?”

Still Woozi wasn’t really speaking, you could tell he was tired. You wondered how late he had stayed up the night before… You remembered a video of him at the idol olympics, laying his head on whoever would let him. You draped an arm over his shoulders and his head lolled over onto your shoulder.

“You have Carats to back you up. When you don’t win a show that you deserved to win we will be behind you telling you that the song was incredible, when another group beats you in a competition we will tell you just how much you deserved to win. Every producer has their hits and misses, you aren’t going to win everytime you take a shot and someday you may make a mistake and write a song that a lot of people don’t like. That’s okay, but this song isn’t one of those. This song is insanely good. You deserve to win.”

Jihoon tentatively raised his head a bit to look you in the eyes. You gave him a smile.

“I don’t usually like songs when they first come out that are by my favorite groups. I didn’t like Boy with Luv or Idol when it first dropped and I’m supposed to be a BTS fan,” you admitted. “When Home came out, god I wanted to cry every time I heard it. The sound was completely different then anything I had ever really expected from you guys and it made me cry every time I heard it cause it just made me feel so… safe.”

Jihoon rested his head on your shoulder again.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been sleeping,” he mumbled.

“You’ll start sleeping regularly again soon,” You replied softly. “Anyways, I should probably leave you soon, you’re going to do amazing you know that?”

Jihoon didn’t move his head.

“I can't believe you came,” he murmured.

“If I know you need someone I will always try to be there for you,” you replied thoughtfully.

You had honestly said that to a lot of people, and to every person you had ever said it to you had meant it, but it was something different to say it to Jihoon. Your cheeks were warm from a small flush, and your heart beat had slowed to match your calm demeanor. You were never calm when you were this close to other guys. You were never this calm when someone was laying on you or using you for emotional support.

You glanced down at Jihoon and found that he had shifted his head to look up at you. You gave him a curious look, his face was bright red.

“Are you alright?” You asked. You urgently placed your hand on his forehead. “God, tell me you aren’t running a fever. Jihoon I-“

“I’m not, I’m not,” Jihoon mumbled back. “I was… just thinking about how pretty you look.”

You weren’t sure how to respond to that. You couldn’t hide your face or anything because Jihoon was laying on you, and you couldn’t really manage to hide the way that your cheeks now matched his in color. Instead you just looked at him, and smiled.

“Hey Jihoon, am I allowed to kiss you?”

A short smile crossed Jihoon’s lips and he raised his head to press his lips to yours.

Neither of you had much experience kissing, so logically you knew the kiss was sloppy and awkward at best. Still, the more you two did it, the better you got, and the longer your lips were pressed together, the more reluctant you were to pull away.

This time, you two weren’t interrupted. Jihoon pulled away, and both of you took the time to catch your breaths.

“Well now I know we are going to win,” Jihoon joked. “If a kiss from you isn’t good luck, I don’t know what is.”

You lightly hit Jihoon’s shoulder.

“Shut up,” you mumbled, embarrassed. Then after only a moment you stood up, brushing yourself off. “I should go, you should be getting ready to perform.”

Jihoon waved at you as you walked to the door, he didn’t say anything. You could see his nerves returning in the way he watched you walk away. You gave him a large goofy smile and raised both of your arms, closing your hands into fists.

Fighting.”

He laughed as you left the room. It was nice to hear.