Try Not to Smile or Laugh (Joyri)

@just-university-romances
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: This is flat out fluff. I apologize if you can't handle all of this wholesome content.

Enjoy~

--

“Who would win,” Sooyoung pauses, causing Yerim to look up from her homework, “a Try Not to Smile or Laugh Challenge, you or me?”

 

Yerim puts her pencil down and stares squarely at Sooyoung. She wants to laugh at the dumb question, but doesn’t want to create any sort of irony. “I’m not called an ice princess for nothing, you know?”

 

Sooyoung rolls her eyes and smirks. “Yeah, but I can get really competitive.”

 

A fierce spark emanates from Yerim’s eyes. She knows it’s a challenge she would definitely win and this was not worth her time testing, but the idea of showing off her (rather) unique talent enticed her. 

 

Sooyoung replies with a simple smirk and squint of eyes. She types away on her laptop. Less than a minute later, she stands up and sits next Yerim, whilst Yerim scoots a little closer to Sooyoung. 

 

Yerim doesn’t notice the intimacy,

 

...but Sooyoung does and she hopes it’s enough to distract her from smiling or laughing.

 

“Wait!” An idea pops in Sooyoung’s head. She turns her head and, again, notice how close their faces were. “We should have a punishment for the loser.” She mischievously smirks.

 

Yerim raises her eyebrow with a delightfully interested gaze. “What kind of punishment?” A meal? A coffee date? What about a massage? A massage from Sooyoung? ;) Yerim thought this was a wonderful opportunity to get closer to Sooyoung. 

 

Actually, she thought of this as flirting. 

 

And, oh boy, she could get used to this. 

 

“If you laugh, you have to kiss me on the cheek.” Sooyoung shyly bites her lip. 

 

Yerim is pleasantly taken aback. It’s a simple act of affection, but they weren’t the type to publicly show that. She knows she’s blushing so she averts her eyes. 

 

“And what if you laugh?” She coyly replies. 

 

There’s a small pause between the two. “What do you want?” Sooyoung simply replies. Yerim looks up to her, embarrassed of the situation. “I stated my conditions, now it’s your turn.”

 

Yerim sighs. Her heart races, nervous about her proposal. “If you laugh,” She gulps, whilst trying to muster up some confidence, “then you have to kiss me on the cheek.”

 

The words escaping her lips seemed foreign. She wasn’t used to the forwardness and she cringed at the unusual emphasis on certain words.

 

However, she was very enticed and she was rather allured. 

 

Sooyoung smirks. “Call.”

 

Yerim feels how red her face is. She becomes self-conscious over the fact that even though Sooyoung is blushing too, she’s playing it off better than herself.

 

What happened to the cold Yerim? 

 

Sooyoung turns back and that’s when Yerim notices how close they previously were. She feels the tension and she wants to give into the pull.

 

Sooyoung opens a new tab on her laptop. She goes to the YouTube homepage and, conveniently, a video compilation titled “Try Not to Laugh: November Edition” pops up in her recommended video playlist.

 

The video starts with some high school kids pulling a prank. It’s slapstick, but it gets the mood rolling. A few more videos play through. Both Yerim and Sooyoung were feeling competitive and confident.

 

Five minutes have passed and neither has shown signs of conceding. Quite honestly, nothing was making Sooyoung budge. She was slightly underwhelmed, especially with the internal hype of having an excuse to kiss Yerim. She was worried she might have to pretend to lose.

 

On the other hand, Yerim was actually trying really hard not to smile. Internet memes and a particular joke about the struggles of being a student almost got to her. She was worried she was going to budge. Her nervous RBF came into use, since she was more nervous about having to kiss Sooyoung than being on the verge of laughing. She wasn’t going to back down yet. 

 

A derpy Maltese puppy pops up and Sooyoung makes this cute, but… indescribable sound. The two intensely look at each other at the corner of their eyes. Sooyoung is nervous that she might break, especially since cute animals are her weakness and the fact that she’s always wanted a dog. Thankfully, staring at Yerim kept her distracted. 

 

The clip ends and soon a baby is screaming “appa” at the camera, whilst giggling and running away. Yerim tears her gaze from Sooyoung to the screen. Sooyoung notices her bite her lip. There’s a compilation of this father-and-daughter duo. It was the same thing, but in different settings: the daughter would shout out to her father, the father would playfully run towards her, and the girl would run away giggli

Please log in to read the full chapter