Chapter I

Two Lips From Amsterdam

📍Amsterdam, Netherlands 🇳🇱

 

It was a cold morning amidst the bustling city of Amsterdam. 

Jisoo was on her usual routine of walking along the city's streets before making a stop at her most favorite place in the entire city.

The store was a combination of a library and a café, unarguably two of her most favorite things on the planet.

Stepping inside, she was immediately engulfed by the warmth that the place brought her, as well as the sweet aroma of the coffee and sweets lingering in the air.  

She smiles to herself as she takes a seat at her usual spot at one of the book shelves by the window. 

In her opinion, it was the best spot in the entire store. She was able to observe the beautiful scenery along the city's streets and quietly read her book as she delighted in a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

Glancing around, her lips curves into a smile when she spots the person she was searching for.

Jisoo: Chaeyoung-ah! 

Chaeyoung Park, or better known as Rosé, the owner of the store and was who it was named after, turns around at the sound of her name. 

She smiles upon seeing Jisoo at her usual spot and immediately waves back.

She approaches the latter and takes a seat in front of her. 

Chaeyoung: Hey unnie. How are you today? 

Jisoo shrugs.

Jisoo: The same.

Chaeyoung smiles in return.

Chaeyoung: What will it be today? The usual?

Jisoo nodded.

Jisoo: You know how I like it.

Chaeyoung: Give me 5 minutes.

The younger girl gets up from her spot and walks away before disappearing behind the counter.

Jisoo shifted her attention elsewhere and glances out the window. She notices a couple walking along the streets, their hands intertwined. 

Her lips unknowingly forms into a slight smile at the sight.

It led her to wonder whether if she would one day find any happiness of her own. A person that she could lean on and share her burdens with. Someone who she would protect and risk her life for. Someone who could be her soulmate, other half, and source of happiness.

She smiles to herself at her foolish thoughts and was brought out of her reverie as soon as Chaeyoung had brought out her drink. 

True to her words, the younger girl had came back within five minutes. 

Jisoo gives Chaeyoung a grateful smile as she sets down the cup of coffee.

Jisoo: Thanks Chaengie.

Chaeyoung: My pleasure unnie. 

The younger gives her an apologizing look as she nodded her head towards the counter.

Chaeyoung: Is it okay if I leave you here for a bit? There are a few customers that I have to attend to.

Jisoo: Go ahead. Don't keep them waiting. 

Chaeyoung returns her a smile before hurrying off.

After a few moments of enjoying her coffee, Jisoo rises from her seat and wanders around to search for a new book to read. Her eyes lands on a familiar binding. 

Reaching for the book, a small smile appears upon her face as she remembers the joy she had felt while reading the book.

Settling down with the book, she skims through the first few pages and reminisces on the times that she had spent while reading it. A smile tugs at her lips as she thought about how reading could provide so much comfort and happiness to her. 

The many lessons and experiences that she has gained throughout the years from reading has taught her so much. 

They had stayed with her until now. She only wished that many other people would get the same joy from reading that she does. But alas, in a world full of technology and WiFi like it is today, people will only read what is popular. There are barely any people who would even think about picking up a book, much less read it. 

Jisoo heaves out a sigh as she takes a sip from her coffee. She suddenly catches glimpse of something from the corner of her eye. 

It was a girl.

Jisoo has seen many girls and guys in her lifetime. There were many who were good looking and there were even some who had celebrity like visuals. But for some reason, there was something about this girl that attracted her.

The way that the girl carried herself with such confidence and grace drew Jisoo in like a magnet. 

She was captivated and mesmerized by her every move, from the way her cat like eyes flickered around searching for a book, to the way her lips slightly parted as she quietly murmurs to herself.

Taking another sip from her coffee, Jisoo notices that the other girl had approached the popular books section. 

She frowns upon the sight and wonders whether or not she should approach her. 

Most of Jisoo's relationships never really worked out well, for there was never anyone who shared the same interests as her. She feared that this one would be the same. 

Jisoo continues to watch over the other girl, examining her every move. 

Something about her was just different. 

There was something about her that she just couldn't figure out. As if behind all that confidence there is a completely different person hidden away. 

After a few short moments of debating against herself, she decided to take the chance and walk over.

She picks up a few books and pretends to be interested in them.

Glancing over, she smiles to herself upon noticing that the girl seemed to be speaking to herself.

"This one seems to be popular."

"But this was a good movie."

"Maybe I should ask the owner for a recommendation."

Jisoo smiles a bit as picks up another book and flips through its pages.

Jisoo: That's sad. People buying books because of what's popular, and not because they wanna be moved or changed in some way.

The other girl turns around, startled by Jisoo's sudden presence.

"Excuse me?"

Jisoo closes the book in her hands, before turning to face the latter. Her lips curves into a charming smirk as she extends her hand.

Jisoo: I'm Jisoo.

The other girl scoffs as she places the book that she was holding into Jisoo's open hand. 

Jennie: And I'm not interested.

Without saying another word, the girl immediately walked away. Jisoo was left astonished as she stares after the latter's retreating figure. 

She looks at the book in her hand and immediately recognizes which one it was. The book was a classic, and was by far one of her most favorite books. 

She rushes over towards the counter and wrote down her number and a note on a post it, before sticking it onto the book's cover.

She smiles a bit as she looks towards the direction of the door. 

She rushes outside and carefully scans the crowd for the mysterious girl. 

Immediately spotting her petite figure amidst the crowd, Jisoo rushes over and grabs onto her hand. The other girl quickly whips out around, startled by the mysterious person's grip on her arm.

She looks at Jisoo in shock as she blinks her eyes in amazement.

Jennie: What do you want?

Jisoo gives the latter a smirk before placing the book back into her hand.

Jisoo: You should read it. Trust me. This book will change your life.

Giving her one last smile, Jisoo turns away before rushing back inside the store. 

The girl was still left in shock at her spot as she thought about her encounter with Jisoo. She glances down at the cover and reads what was written on the post it.

 

•••

 

'Hi "Not Interested,"
As a peace offering for our abrupt and awkward encounter, I would like to recommend you this amazing novel. It is a beautifully written book, by an amazing author. The book had changed my life, and I hope that it will do the same for you. I guarantee that you will love it. :)

p.s. If you do happen to like it and would like to know more about the story, give me a call. ;)
But if you don't, then I guess our fate ends here. 
It was nice meeting you! 

Yours Truly, Jisoo Kim'

 

•••

 

A small smile begins to form on Jennie Kim's face as she reads the letter.

She glances back towards the store before looking down at the book resting in her hand. 

"When Breath Becomes Air" Written by: Paul Kalanithi

Slowly, Jennie begins to turn around and started to make her way back home, unbeknownst to the fact that the smile had never once disappeared from her face. 

 

•••

 

Chaeyoung knew immediately that something was up with Jisoo as soon as her friend had come back through the door of her store. 

The older girl's face seems to be glowing with happiness as she made her way towards her seat. 

Lifting a questioning eyebrow, Chaeyoung makes her way over and takes a seat in front of Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: What's up with that goofy grin plastered all over your face?

Snapping out of her thoughts, Jisoo chuckles to herself at Chaeyoung's question.

Jisoo: I met a girl. 

Chaeyoung's eyes lit up with interest as soon as the words had left Jisoo's mouth. She shifts in her seat as she listens in eagerly.

Chaeyoung: Did you get her number?

Jisoo: No.

Chaeyoung: What about her name?

Jisoo giggles dreamily before replying.

Jisoo: Not interested. 

Chaeyoung her head to the side in confusion.

Chaeyoung: What? 

Jisoo laughs a little at seeing her friend's confused expression and shook her head.

Jisoo: Don't worry Chaengie. I've got it all figured out.

Chaeyoung blinked her eyes in disbelief, finding herself unable to understand the older girl.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, you don't know what her name is, and you didn't even get her number. What are you talking about?

Jisoo shrugs her shoulders before leaning back in her seat, a smile on her face.

Jisoo: I gave her a book and told her that if she likes it, then she should call me.

Chaeyoung: But what if she doesn't like the book? Or what if she doesn't call you? 

Jisoo shrugs again.

Jisoo: Then I guess it's not meant to be.

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes at Jisoo's nonchalant behavior and shook her head.

Chaeyoung: Sometimes, I just don't understand you unnie.

Jisoo's lips curved into a smile as she gave the younger a nod of reassurance. 

Jisoo: Don't worry Chaengie. All you have to do is focus on your own love life with Lalisa. Don't worry about me. 

Chaeyoung pouted. 

Chaeyoung: I'd probably feel more assured if you were to take everything more seriously unnie. This happens every time. 

Jisoo lets out a soft chuckle.

Jisoo: I know what I'm doing Chaeyoung. This one will be different. Trust me. 

The latter huffs out a resigned sigh and nodded. 

Chaeyoung: Whatever you say unnie.

Jisoo smiles as she takes out some money and places it in front of Chaeyoung.

Jisoo: Here. I'm paying you for the book I gave away from your library. 

Chaeyoung waves it off and slides the money back across. 

Chaeyoung: It doesn't matter unnie. 

Jisoo frowns as she pushes the money over.

Jisoo: Just take it Chaeyoung-ah. Think of it as a thank you from me.

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes at the older girl and shook her head.

Chaeyoung: It's fine Jisoo unnie. 

Jisoo sighs and reaches over to grab the money. She suddenly looks at her watch and begins to stand up.

Jisoo: Ah shoot! I'm late for a meeting. 

Waving at the younger, she hurriedly grabs all of her stuff before heading towards the door. 

Jisoo: I'll see you later Chaeng.

Chaeyoung gives her a smile.

Chaeyoung: I'll see you soon then.

Jisoo returns the latter's smile with a hint of a mischievousness glint in her eye. She makes her way past Chaeyoung before turning back around to place the money inside her hand.

Before the younger girl could even react, Jisoo had teasingly stuck out her tongue and hurriedly left the store. 

Chaeyoung stares in disbelief at the door before turning back to look at the money in her hand. 

She lets out a soft chuckle and shook her head. Getting up from her seat, she walks back over towards the counter, and resumes her work.