Nighttime Visitor

The Ship that Sails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The phone rang. 

 

It was 3 am.

 

Joohyun slept peacefully next to it, unaware of the incessant buzzing and ringing next to her. She shifted slightly on the bed and rolled over so she was facing her nightstand and now quiet cellphone.

 

Then the phone rang again.

 

It was 3:02 am.

 

After the sharp ringing of her phone resumed, Joohyun’s eyes fluttered open and her hand fumbled on the table next to her to retrieve her phone and answer the unwelcome wake up call.

 

“Hello?” she grumbled, still mostly asleep.

 

“Joohyun, is that you? , did I wake you up? God, I’m so sorry.” The voice on the other end of the conversation sounded as if its owner had 3 cups of coffee and no intentions of sleeping any time soon.

 

Joohyun sat up and smiled softly as she listened to the other girl, forgetting she had been so rudely awakened only moments before. “Seulgi, it’s fine. I’m awake now. What’s up? Are you alright? It’s—" she quickly glanced at the clock on her phone— “3 in the morning.” It wasn’t unusual for Seulgi to call at strange hours like this, but that didn’t mean Joohyun hadn’t told the younger girl to text her and wait until Joohyun was awake before calling.

 

“Well,” Seulgi started, “I was up late studying and needed a break and was checking my phone and saw that a bad storm was rolling in. I know how much you hate storms so I thought I would call you and make sure you were okay and see if you needed me to come over because I know you hate being alone when the thunder is loud.” Here Seulgi took a breath after letting her words spill out almost too quickly for Joohyun’s sleepy brain to follow.

 

Before Seulgi continued Joohyun got up and walked over to her window, only to find the moon shining brightly in a cloudless sky. “Seulgi, there’s not a single cloud in the sky. Are you sure there’s a storm tonight? Maybe you misunderstood and it was a different part of Korea.” The woman heard Seulgi release a soft chuckle before she heard a knock at her front door.

 

Joohyun looked down at her oversized t-shirt and shorts and sighed before deciding her clothes would have to be good enough for whoever was at her apartment. “Seulgi, hold on a second. Someone’s here,” she informed the younger girl.

 

When Joohyun opened the door the first thing Seulgi said was, “I know,” and grabbed her phone to hang it up before setting it down on the small bench just inside the entrance. She stepped inside the apartment and gazed at Joohyun’s both cute and confused face.

 

Still surprised by her nighttime visitor, Joohyun shut the front door before turning to confront her girlfriend. “Why are you here? Not that I mind, I just don’t understand. Am I dreaming or something?”

 

Seulgi smiled sheepishly down at her feet before looking back at Joohyun. “Okay, so maybe I lied about the storm. I just wanted an excuse to come here and see you. It feels like weeks since

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter