My Only

The Ship that Sails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tired didn’t even begin to describe how either one felt. Seulgi had been in the office since eight this morning and Joohyun had just gotten home from visiting her parents in Daegu for a long weekend.

 

Since Seulgi wasn’t home yet, Joohyun showered quickly before unpacking her suitcase and cleaning up the apartment. Just as she was putting the suitcase back into the storage closet, the lock on the front door clicked and the door swung open, an exhausted Seulgi trudging in to set her backpack and jacket on a chair in the kitchen. 

 

Neither spoke.

 

Seulgi made her way into the bedroom to change out of her business attire and into to some comfortable sweats and an oversized t-shirt. Joohyun lingered at the closet for a brief moment before settling herself on the sofa in the living room. When Seulgi came back down the hall, she sat down next to Joohyun and wrapped her up in a hug.

 

“Hi,” she whispered, placing a soft kiss to the crown of her head.

 

Joohyun closed her eyes as Seulgi held her close. “Hey,” she replied, slowly wrapping her arms around Seulgi’s waist and allowing herself to get lost in the embrace.

 

They stayed there for a while, as the sun disappeared and the only light came from the kitchen behind them.

 

When Joohyun finally pulled back, she looked up at Seulgi and let a tired smile wash over her face.

 

“How was your trip?” Seulgi asked, brushing some of the loose hairs away from her girlfriend’s face.

 

“It was nice to be home for a few days.” Joohyun leaned slightly into Seulgi’s touch before sighing and turning her face away.

 

Seulgi frowned before asking a second question. “And your parents are doing well?”

 

Joohyun only nodded as she gazed out the window and into the city around them. She watched the lights brighten the dark horizon as night overtook them.

 

Confused by how quiet she was being, Seulgi gently touched Joohyun’s chin and turned her face back towards hers. Her eyes raked over the older woman as she saw her eyes watering as she held back tears.

 

“Hey, baby.” Seulgi’s hands moved up to cup Joohyun’s cheeks. “What’s wrong?”

 

A lone tear rolled down Joohyun’s cheek as her breathing became heavier, a sign of her clearly trying to hold in her sobs.

 

“Come on, Hyun, tell me what’s wrong.” Seulgi moved forward and gave Joohyun a slow kiss, trying to coax her girlfriend into speaking. “What’s going on, baby?”

 

With hands fidgeting in her lap, Joohyun took a deep breath before pulling Seulgi’s hands away from her face. She looked down at their intertwined hands before moving her solemn eyes up to search Seulgi’s face.

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun breathed out.

 

“I’m right here.” Seulgi’s eyes stayed on Joohyun, latching onto to whatever she was about to say.

 

“Can I ask you something?” More tears pooled in Joohyun’s eyes.

 

Seulgi held more tightly onto Joohyun’s hands. “What is it, baby?”

 

Joohyun shut her eyes and took a deep breath before staring right back at Seulgi.

 

One beat.

 

“Are you cheating on me?”

 

A second beat.

 

Seulgi blinked once, then twice, before scoffing and turning her eyes away from her girlfriend. She shook her head as she tried to wrap her mind around the question posed to her.

 

“Are you?” Joohyun’s voice was barely above a whisper.

 

Seulgi looked back at Joohyun, her eyes furrowed and mouth slightly agape in shock. “Where did this come from?”

 

“Seul, it’s a yes or no question,” Joohyun responded, her eyes begging Seulgi for an answer.

 

“Am I cheating on you?”

 

“Are you?”

 

Seulgi clenched her jaw and took a deep breath before answering.

 

“No.”

 

Joohyun released the breath she didn’t realize she was holding. Her shoulders sagged in relief, but she still had one more question.

 

“Seul?”

 

“What?” Her reply was short. Joohyun could tell Seulgi was irritated.

 

“Can I ask you another question?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Will you answer honestly?” Joohyun asked, her fingers softly Seulgi’s hands, trying to calm the younger woman down.

 

Seulgi followed Joohyun’s motions, her eyes settling on their intertwined hands. “I answered the first one honestly, didn’t I?”

 

Joohyun ignored the question. “Seulgi, in the five years we’ve been dating, did you ever cheat on me?”

 

At this question, Seulgi pulled her hands away and stood up, turning her back to Joohyun and walking over to the window. She took a deep breath before running her hands through her hair. Joohyun, still sitting on the sofa, shut her eyes tightly and clenched her fists. She told herself she wouldn’t cry. Not yet.

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun begged.

 

“Where is this coming from?” Seulgi accused, running a hand through her hair again.

 

“Seul, just answer the question.” Joohyun’s voice was small and vulnerable.

 

“I just don’t understand—“

 

“Answer the ing question!” Tears streamed freely down Joohyun’s face as she glared at her girlfriend. Her breathing was heavy but she refused to back down. She was too far into this now.

 

Seulgi froze at the sudden outburst, swallowing hard as her own tears threatened to fall. She squeezed her eyes shut and released a shuttering breath before turning back to Joohyun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter