The Date

The Ship that Sails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car ride home was more quiet than usual. The silence between us was not exactly comfortable, but it wasn’t unwelcome either. For what felt like the third or fourth weekend in a row, the usual Friday night date had not gone very well.

 

It was time for me to make my move.

 

As the Oldies station played softly in the background, I cleared my throat to let Seulgi know that this silence was over.

 

Deep breath. Here we go.

 

Turning from looking out the window to looking at Seulgi, I flashed my signature smile, hoping to make this as easy as possible. “Thank you for dinner tonight. I had a good time,” I lied. I couldn’t start with anything too drastic.

 

“Yeah.” That’s it? Seulgi kept her eyes straight forward as she drove across town towards my house.

 

I furrowed my brow. I was not giving up that easily. “And the comedy show was great! I didn’t even know we had a comedy group close by.” She may not want to talk but I was going to make her.

 

“Sure.” I could see the gears turning inside her head as she slyly glanced at me, trying to figure out where this conversation was going.

 

Let’s see what she’ll do with the ball in her court. Nervously, I my lips, trying to go through to the end of this conversation this time. “What did you think?” I questioned, hoping to keep this plan moving forward.

 

“Well,” she started, shifting a little in her seat. I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter