Chapter 7

Elevator Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a beautiful morning; birds were tweeting outside and the sunshine covered Irene’s face through her white curtains. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the morning sun, she and her cat were literally sunbathing. Lola was on the windowsill while Irene had breakfast. She felt very happy as she woke up. A sudden serotonin rush captured her whole body. “Lola~” She sang to catch her cats’ attention as she placed the spoon inside herself made breakfast cereal. “You want to go to the park today?” She asked with a sweet tone. She took her cat out when the weather was nice to the park nearby. It was long ago since they did such an activity and suddenly, she felt like doing it. Gaining no response from her, she pouted lightly and asked her again. This time Lola meowed and left the windowsill. Irene observed her actions while munching her cereal, she was walking towards the door and sat there as if she was waiting for someone. Irene furrowed her eyebrows “What are you doing?” She asked. Lola meowed. It looked like she was missing someone. Irene thought who she could’ve been missing, when she was by her side.

Last time she did that was when Lola met her friends for the first time. She missed them and used to sit in front of the door, hoping they would come and see her. But as time passed, Lola got used to it and never did this behaviour again. The only person she could think of was her neighbour Donghae since she liked his company a lot as Irene observed last night.

She was very shocked after she found out that Donghae was feeding her cat when she was absent. How and why did he do that? Irene couldn’t solve his personality. So, is he a good or a bad guy? One thing she knew was that he was very handsome and charming. His chuckle never left her mind the whole night. She kept recalling the scene in her head. It somehow relieved all her sorrows. Every time she recalled the scene an unknown smile formed in her face. Could it possibly be that she wants to see it more often? No wonder that Lola is missing him, his attraction level was out of this world.

Irene wanted to know if he was the one in her room. She needed to know this information to be fully relieved. Since the first day he moved in, Irene had seen different sides of him and made various theories in her mind, what kind of person he might be. Would he tell her the truth, if she just asked him?

The scene of her cat triggered her to stand up and go to his door, but was that a right thing to do? She wasn’t the type to do things like that. Least of all, she wouldn’t knock on a man’s door who was living by himself. Irene shook her head and put her spoon inside the cereal again. The meow from Lola caught her attention. Now, she was scratching on the door with his paws. “You want to see him?” She asked her cat. Lola meowed again. Irene breathed heavily out and slowly got up. “Alright, I’ll bring you to him.” She said, still unsure, if she was doing the right thing.

The moment she stepped outside with Lola in her arms and seeing his door, her heart started beating faster. She nervously stared at his door and slowly closed her eyes “Relax, there’s no need to be nervous. You already did it once.” She told herself and let a breath out. She neared herself with careful steps towards his door and knocked once. It was a weak one, so she knocked stronger. The noises inside of the apartment made her feel even more nervous. She wanted to run back into her apartment, but it was too late.

Donghae opened the door, it seemed as if he just woke up with his messy hair, a plain white shirt and grey short which reached above his knees. He had a confused expression and questioningly stared at the scene in front of his door. Lola meowed as soon as she saw Donghae while Irene blinked few times. She totally forgot why she knocked in the first place.

“Hi.” Donghae said in his husky voice, it was clear he just woke up. “Hi. Did I break your sleep?” Irene asked worriedly. Donghae shook his head “I woke up few minutes ago, great timing.” He said. Irene wasn’t sure if he was joking or being sarcastic. She nodded and showed her cat “Lola kept looking for you, seems like she liked you very much and I thought of bringing her here if you don’t mind.” She made an apological face. Donghae listened to still a confused expression on his face. He was trying to process the information she was giving him since he just woke up and had no breakfast. He glanced to Lola and nodded with a smile “Oh, really? She liked me that much, huh?” He said chuckling and patted her head. There was it again, but today it was cuter. Irene observed his smiling face as he bent down a little to stand in eye level with her cat and kept petting her.

“Someone has to take care of her when the owner is gone.” She heard him mumbling. She furrowed her eyebrows “What?” Donghae straightened his posture again and looked at her. “She was meowing nonstop on the balcony. It was difficult to ignore her. Thank god, I was on my balcony, so I took a glanced to her. She seemed very hungry, then I called your name, but no one responded, so I assumed she was alone. I went inside to look for something I could give to her and found some tuna packs. I took one and literally climbed on your balcony through mine. I fed and petted her, then took her inside and closed the balcony door, so she wouldn’t get lost.” Donghae explained. Irene carefully listened to every single word coming out of his mouth. “It’s not my business to ask where you have been, but you shouldn’t leave your cat all alone. Who knows what might happen to her?”

Lola somehow managed to escape from Irene’s arm and was wondering around the hall as Irene deeply thought of his story. “So, you were not inside my apartment?” She let out. Donghae wandered his eyes and shook his head “I was not inside, only the balcony. Why? Is there a matter?” He asked with a frown.

“How-how can it be? Who was inside then? Someone literally was in my bedroom. I thought it was you.” She said directly and regretted it immediately. Donghae looked perplexed “What shall I do in your bedroom? You think I’m a ert?” He defended himself. Well, she did. “Of course not, but who was it then?” She felt anxious slightly and Donghae could see that. “We can check the CC TV later, it might be the same person who sneaked into my apartment or someone else, but we can only come to a logical conclusion by gathering some footage.” Donghae explained. Irene felt overwhelmed from his sudden readiness to help. She just nodded her head. “Wait here, I’ll change my clothes, then we can go to the caretaker. Or you want to wait inside?” Donghae asked straightforward. Irene felt uncomfortable by his sudden invitation and shook her head.

Irene just wanted to bring Lola to see Donghae and now she was sitting at the caretaker’s office side by side with him. How did she get there? Donghae was closely looking to the displays, he was so focused as if his life depended on it. Irene felt very flattered since he cared that much to check the cameras without even having a breakfast. “There. Go back a few seconds.” Donghae told the caretaker after discovering suspicious scenes. “You see? He is trying to open your door.” He said as he pointed to the display. Irene moved her head closer to the monitor and narrowed her eyes. Indeed, it was the same man from yesterday. She widened her eyes and closed out of shock. “You know him?” Donghae asked. Irene immediately turned her head to him with an unbelieving expression “Of course not.” She scoffed. “It’s the thief from yesterday. He is a thief and a ert.” She cringed her face. “Bastard.” She could hear Donghae mumbling in between his lips. “Where is he now?” Irene turned to him and asked fearful. Donghae chewed his underlip and stared at the monitor. He looked very concerned “He is in good hands, don’t worry. My people will take care of him well.” He assured her. Irene lowered her eyes and gave a nod. Donghae thanked the caretaker and went outside without waiting for her. Irene observed his actions and wondered why he acted like this suddenly. Why wasn’t he waiting for her and left her alone in the office? He is really one of a kind. Irene thought and slowly made her way out.

Donghae was standing few meters apart from the office and had his phone against his ear. He looked angry and wandered back and forth. Irene deeply furrowed her eyebrows and sincerely wondered what might happen all of a sudden. He already had suspicions about the man and moreover

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter