Chapter 5

Elevator Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. This is what Charles R. Swindoll said and Irene’s motto at the same time. Staying calm in every situation brings you a lot more life joy than overreacting to every single bit. That’s why she moved out of her parent’s house. Her parents were great as parents. They did everything for their child - their daughter, without regarding their own wishes. But they were horrible as a married couple. Having arguments every day, not considering each other’s thoughts and ideas and the list goes on. Her parents only had themselves. No friends and no families around, but they still argued every day. It was too stressful for her to stay in this place, because she was in the middle of developing her own character.

She didn’t want to be like them. She wanted a peaceful life with lots of love. ‘I will give you a regularly visiting. It won’t be like we’re separated.’ She told them. Her mother hardly agreed to her decision with an upset expression. It wasn’t a bad decision tho. Everything went like imagined. She was satisfied – until now. Suddenly the emotion of fear filled her body every time she entered her building. The fear of walking across her new neighbour. He had a bad boy aura with an angel’s face, which was a dangerous mixture and Irene didn’t like it. Moreover, she is feeling too overwhelmed by it. She couldn’t have a proper sleep for a few days. Every noise from the outside was enough to disturb her nightly sleep. She was anxious that he would sneak into her apartment or something. What if he was a wanted agent? What if he is a drug dealer? Or worse what if he is a serial killer? Irene widened her eyes at the thought and suddenly felt her body heating up. The sticky atmosphere in the lecture hall was enough to smother and she did it worse by having these thoughts.

Almost 200 people and their voices filled the lecture hall. Irene was sitting somewhere in the middle row. She loved middle rows. It was the best place to not get any attention and have a good view for the lecture. While every student chatted with their friends, shared some chocolate with each other or napped in their seats, Irene was sitting alone and drifting into the space with her eyes while she waited for the professor to arrive. It wasn’t like she didn’t know anyone. She did. But not in a close friend’s level. Meeting new people was too tiring to her. The getting to know each other process, the sharing personal stories process, the trusting process, the relying process. Too much work. She already had her besties; she didn’t need new besties. Everyone from the outside would judge her, but she was okay with it. “Hey! Hey! Beautiful girl!” She heard someone shouting by the stage. She glanced over to the source of the sound and frowned at the sight. It was the boy called Mino; she met few days ago. He was wearing his pyjamas. It was like as if he got there right after he jumped out of bed. He was smiling brightly and waving enthusiastically – wait! To her direction! Was he waving to her??

Irene moved in her seat and looked around with widened eyes. She could see some people giggling at his behaviour. Mino was now running up to her row. Irene hoped he wouldn’t come to her and sank in her seat by covering her face with her left hand. “Hey! Beauty!” He could hear him making his way through the busy seats. When she saw the free seat next to her, she got even more tensed. She didn’t want him to sit next to her, so she picked up her bag, but Mino was faster. Before she could place her bag on the free seat, he dropped himself immediately on the seat as if he was racing with someone.

“Thanks for holding this seat free for me.” He said grinning at her. Irene just looked at him with a confused face, then he started laughing “Joke. Don’t make that face.” He said. Students from the first seats turned their heads around to have a better seat and laugh about him. Irene glanced over him to see how he would react, but it seemed like he was in his own world. He didn’t give a damn about others at all. Irene eyed him inconspicuously from toe to head and flinched a little when she made eye contact with him. “What?” He asked. Irene smiled politely and shook her head. He was a different guy. Someone who lived by his own rules.

After the lecture Irene waited for others to leave, so she wouldn’t have to squeeze herself through the door. “These are actually human, you know.” Mino commented. Irene looked at him. “Although they seem like some ducks, they are civilised people.” He smiled “Civilised people who make fun of other people’s outer appearance but can’t manage to go one by one through the door.” He shook his head. A little smile formed at the corner of Irene’s lips as she looked at the people.

“Why do you study psychology?” Mino asked her. Irene blankly stared at him “Why do you asked?” She asked. “Why not?” He answered, “Don’t you know the reason, why you’re studying something?” He asked. “I-I do. Of course, I do. I’m just interested in human thoughts and so over. Why people behave like they behave” This answer should be enough, right? She didn’t need to tell the whole story. “What about you?” Irene asked him. Mino chuckled “Just.” He answered, “I want to learn how to manipulate people.”

His answer startled Irene. Was he being serious or was he joking? She couldn’t tell. “Are you serious?” She asked with furrowed eyebrows. “What is your telephone number?” He asked all of a sudden. “What??” Irene’s reaction made him chuckle. “Do you always want to hear questions twice?” He asked, facing her. “I-I’m not giving you my number.” She said moving in her seat and glancing to the group. “Why not? Do I look like a weirdo? Is that why?” He asked. “No, it’s not-“ He interrupted her “Do you have a boyfriend?” He asked. Irene widened her eyes. She felt very uncomfortable in that situation “I don’t.” She said, slowly grabbing her bag from the floor. “So, what’s the problem?” He asked not to understand the fact. “Do I have to be taken? I just- I just don’t want to give you my telephone number. I barely know you and you can’t ask me out of the blue.” She stated. Mino shifted his eyes “So you prefer some pick-up lines, huh? Not usual for a psychology student.” He mumbled.

“What about this then, ‘Hey, could you give me your number, I lost mine.’?” He said in a flirty way. Irene scoffed. She could feel her face getting warm out of the embarrassment. “You’re crazy.” She said. “But I’m good crazy.” Mino stated. Irene rolled her eyes “No, thanks.” She said and stood up to leave the lecture hall. Mino observed her all the way until she was outside with a smile on his face “This will be interesting.” He mumbled.

Irene smiled and shook her head as she remembered the scene earlier in the lecture hall. The boy was either crazy or too authentic. She couldn’t tell yet, but it was the first time that she left the university in that kind of an atmosphere.

A luxurious car riding on the road to her left caught her attention since the driver literally chocked the engine. What was more interesting was that the car stopped in front of her building. Irene couldn’t remember that someone this rich lived in her neighbourhood. She was very curios of who would step out of the car. Once the passenger seat’s door opened, Irene felt her heart skipping a beat. It was Donghae himself, this time he looked like some businessman in his black suit. A very rich businessman. His aura showed his presence. He was there, catching all the attention. Irene could imagine, how women would fall for him, but that didn’t mean, he was supposed to play with them. From the driver’s seat, his fiancé Dara got out. She too looked very decent and elegant. She surely had the beauty of a goddess. Dara walked over to Donghae and told him something as she grabbed his collar. Donghae rather looked annoyed and nodded to her words without truly listening to her. He had his hands in his pockets. Dara noticed Irene and smiled brightly which surprised Irene. Was it okay to smile like that when they only met once? – If the other days don’t count. Please, don’t call me. Please, don’t call me. Irene smiled and walked fast with small steps to get over the situation. She could hear her mumble something for the last time, before she got into the building.

Irene inconspicuously ran to the elevator as she pressed the button. At this point she cursed to herself that she didn’t move to the first floor where she wouldn’t always rely on the elevator, but instead she chose the damn 8th floor. Irene pressed her lips together and glued her eyes on the display to see the floor numbers as she waited for the elevator to arrive. Meanwhile she could hear the door behind her getting shut and his nearing footsteps. There. It is too late. Donghae stopped right behind her. The building was very silent, so she could he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter