Chapter 6 - Criminal Team

Chess Game 2 - Lost Sins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day Eunhyuk woke up with a huge headache. Drinking during the week wasn’t the best idea, especially when he had to wake up early. He let out an annoyed moan, rolling around his bed, he needed comfort to find the strength to face this day, but he only found the place next to him empty. Donghae was already gone… again. He looked at his phone, no messages… Finally Eunhyuk got up and went to the kitchen that still smelled like coffee, meaning Donghae didn’t leave a long time ago. Eunhyuk suddenly felt nauseous. Maybe coffee wasn’t such a good idea in the end… That’s when he noticed a small bottle on the table followed by a note.

“Drink this to be in shape to catch this bastard. If not you then no one can do it. Fighting. Love you.”

The message made him smile, his boyfriend was truly cute! He drank the hangover medicine ready now to face his day.

When he arrived at the precinct things were quite calm for once. Sungmin hadn’t arrived yet. Eunhyuk was tempted to go to the NP, to see if he could find Hae, but instead he had something else more important to do. Taking a deep breath, Eunhyuk walked towards Heechul and Hangeng’s desk. The two of them were talking softly, going over some pictures, probably those from their crime scene. As soon as he noticed him, Heechul closed his file with a sharp movement and threw him a hostile glance.

“What are you snooping around for, monkey?”

“I’m not snooping… I came to talk to you.”

“I heard…” he said simply.

He was obviously talking about their mutual case. Then without adding a thing, he started ignoring him and got back to reading his file. Eunhyuk threw a glance at Hangeng, he was the only one who could temper Heechul’s mood, but he shrugged in response. Eunhyuk tried again.

“Can we talk about it?”

“When I tried talking about it, Yesung attacked me with a vial full of a cadaver’s blood.”

“And I defended you.”

“How noble…” he said sarcastically.

Losing his patience Eunhyuk finally slammed the pictures of his dead body, on Heechul’s desk. A strange S was carved on the victim’s chest, the same as in Heechul’s photos.

“You didn’t see his tv spot. He’s prepared, we are not. We have to work together.”

Heechul looked at his partner, they seemed to have a silent conversation, then he turned to Eunhyuk wincing.

“Where do we start?”

They went down to the NP, to go to Yesung’s morgue. Strangely there was no one around; Donghae’s desk was empty as were the others. It was rare to not find Leeteuk or Kyuhyun down here. Eunhyuk sent a message to his partner, so when he arrived he would join them. Hangeng, Heechul and Eunhyuk opened the door to the morgue, it was freezing inside and the lack of light made this place spooky. Yesung was sitting at the back of the room, writing his report on the computer, while Ryeowook was reading a book next to him.

“Hey guys,” Eunhyuk greeted them “, are you ready to work?”

Yesung had no reaction and continued typing on his computer, while Ryeowook raised his thumb up, but didn’t move from his chair.

“Guys… seriously.”

“I’m not working with him.” Yesung said, as if he knew Heechul was there without looking.

“You’re such a child.” Heechul commented.

Yesung turned around abruptly and was ready to snap something back when Eunhyuk interposed.

“Stop it! Don’t even start! We don’t have time for your childishness. If you don’t want to work with him, then talk to me and forget he is even here.”

Yesung glared at Heechul and finally got up. Without a word his assistant also got up and went to one of the freezer’s drawers opening it on the first body the one from the construction site. This one was the worst of all, good thing Eunhyuk hadn’t had breakfast yet. His head was bashed so badly that his face looked like a bloody jam of skin, the whole of his eyes were ed inside his head and his skull apparent. The rest of his body was full of dark bruises at the exception of his chest with the mark S burned on it. Yesung put on gloves and started describing the dead body.

“He’s the jumper, or the faller I don’t really know which one we should call him. Cause of death really easy, he fell down from a high place to the ground and splash!”

“Such a colorful description…” Heechul winced.

“Not everyone is a wincing little girl like you…!”

Again Eunhyuk had to separate the two. He sighed. Working with those children wasn’t going to help him on the case. He threw a glance at Hangeng who finally interposed.

“How did he fall?”

“Well you can see around his feet here, and the marks on his shoulders that something scrubbed his skin so much that it burned it. He had a vest full of iron weights but I think he also had ones surrounding his ankles.”

“Meaning the killer took them back later on? “

“Probably. A part from that and the S on his chest I can’t tell you much more, his body was really damaged.”

Ryeowook closed the drawer and opened another one next to it where the “mud” victim was lying.

“That’s the guy we found yesterday his case was a bit more interesting and revealing.”

“Who is he?” Heechul asked.

Without answering him directly Eunhyuk gave him the files he was holding since earlier, with all the infos on the victims. Heechul and Hangeng read it quickly and then focused again on what Yesung was telling them.

“Like I said in my preliminary assessment he died suffocated by some mud. Apparently the mud in his mouth and throat are not the same from the area where the body was found, but you have to see that up with Zhoumi.”

“The thing is… he was suffocated elsewhere, and then the killer brought him to Seoul Forest and then bashed his head there to make it as if he was killed on the spot.” Ryeowook interjected.

“Why? Why go to all the trouble?”

The two medics shrugged, with no answer to that question.

“One thing’s for sure; they were tortured before being killed. As if the killer wanted some information before their death or something…”

Information? What could those men possibly know that interested the killer? Eunhyuk thought he was just someone who wanted to get rid of corruption, even if he still didn’t know the link with those men, but what could he possibly be torturing them for?

“And the S on their chest? Can you tell me anything about it?”

Yesung shook his head.

“It’s a burn but nothing strange about it, or that could help us understand more about their death. I just know it was done post mortem too.”

Eunhyuk nodded, thankful for their work and they moved on to the last body the one Heechul found with his partner. When Yesung opened the drawer Eunhyuk had a small pi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter