Chapter 1 - Monthly Visit

Chess Game 2 - Lost Sins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Today the weather is set to be a cold one. Cloudy skies, no rain, but strong winds, please dress up warmly when going out.”

Donghae was listening from afar the weather cast talking on tv, while he was sipping his morning coffee. As usual he was up first and was sitting in the living room reading old case files or actual ones, waiting for his boyfriend to wake up. Two years passed after his life was turned upside down. After locking his brother up he thought that it was the end for him, his career was compromised, being the little brother of a serial killer wasn’t good on a resume. His social life was a mess, for the same reasons, especially his love life, since the sister of the man he loved had been killed by his brother. But by some miracle Eunhyuk forgave him. They tried to forget what happened and began a new life. It was hard at first, things were awkward and they would argue a lot about trivial things, trying to learn more about each other. But their love was stronger and things eventually worked out. As for his career, Kangin took him back without question; he had missed the NP, and his coworkers, so he gladly accepted. That’s how he had been living for the past two years, working as an analyst, and sometimes going in the field. Eventually Eunhyuk asked to move in with him, and they did, which only made them grow closer.

Donghae was so focused on his files that he didn’t notice his boyfriend coming behind him until he had his arms wrapped around his shoulders and kissed the tip of his head.

“Morning!” Eunhyuk said with a sleepy voice.

“Hey, did you sleep ok?”

“Yeah I needed it! How come you’re up so early?”

Donghae smiled at him without answering and went to the kitchen fetch his boyfriend a warm cup of coffee. He would never admit to Eunhyuk but he had always had trouble sleeping after a big case. This past year their lives had been divided into two times. Those where they had no major cases and so their everyday was uneventful; and when they were working cases, they both would pour their souls into it, not sleep and barely eat until it got solved. But when Eunhyuk would be relieved that it was over and finally allow himself to relax, Donghae on the other hand felt empty. Since his brother was put away the only times Donghae truly felt alive was solving crimes. Of course being with Eunhyuk was a big salvation as well but still… something was missing. When he came back to the living room, Eunhyuk was dozing off in front of a tv spot. A handsome young man was sitting in front a fancy desk, wearing a priceless suit, and behind him a red star shined on a white flag.

“To the citizens of this city let’s not let ourselves be discouraged by those who seek to put fear in our hearts. Sin and debauchery has corrupted our beautiful city for too long. Now the time has come for us to make a stand. I promise I will do everything in my power to make your lives safer and clean this town from its corruption. With the help of our police forces and your vote we can make it happen.”

The young man finished speaking and a slogan appeared on screen: “Let us be the voice of righteousness. Vote for Kim Kibum.”

Behind Donghae his boyfriend snorted.

“What a pretentious prick… Who does he think he is to save the city?”

“I actually think he could do good.”

“Don’t tell me you agree with his moralistic speech!” Eunhyuk turned to him surprised.

“Just saying… He’s the best candidate we’ve got.”

Eunhyuk turned off the tv and pouted cutely. He didn’t like when people disagreed with him, especially Donghae. The brunet came behind him and lovingly leaned on his back, wrapping his arms around his neck.

“If I could choose anyone to set this city right it would be you, detective Lee Hyukjae.”

Eunhyuk smiled and turned his head to kiss his lover. He always knew how to calm him down.

Once they finished their breakfast, they got ready and headed out to work. Like the forecast predicted it was cold, snow from a few days ago still lingered on the streets, whitening the scenery. A few minutes later they arrived at the precinct. The building didn’t change a bit since his first time coming here. Only security got tougher. Since they discovered that one of their own was a serial killer, paranoia got the best of them, and special measures were taken. Talking about Henry was taboo at the precinct. They still couldn’t believe that this sweet kid was a killer, and when the whole world despised him, his colleagues where still mourning him… Every single day, when passing the doors to work, Donghae thought of Henry, and how he could not save him. Eunhyuk accompanied him until the stairs that lead to the NP, and discreetly kissed his lips.

“Work hard! See you later.”

“Don’t wait for me tonight.” Donghae said before he could turn away.

“Why? Oh right… today is that day of the month…”

Donghae nodded and Eunhyuk fell silent. It was still a bit awkward for them to talk about it. Eunhyuk smiled at him and kissed him again.

“Take the car, I’ll ask Sungmin to give me a lift. See you tonight, have a good visit.”

Then he went away and Donghae got down to the NP. The lights were off as usual, only the twinkles that Donghae had set up on a wall were lit. He always found the room depressingly dark, and it didn’t help that Kyuhyun loved working in total darkness, so Donghae decided to buy those lights to liven up the place a bit. His desk was a mess, as was the other ones around him, piles of files accumulating, papers, and old empty cups of coffee lingering around. The two things that changed these past years were the adding of a new desk next to Donghae’s and the door of Zhoumi’s lab that once was always closed, was now wide open.

“Good morning!” the analyst said turning on the lights.

As he predicted, a blond haired man appeared from under a multitude of papers, and looked at him with sleepy eyes.

“Hey Hae… is it already morning?”

“You didn’t go home again hyung? What would Sora say?”

“She’s exactly the reason why he won’t go home.” said a voice that was hidden behind a giant computer screen.

“Yah!!!”

Donghae chuckled. Leeteuk the leader of their nerd team, and also a profiler, glared intensely at the youngest. His oversized glasses slipping over his nose, his brown messy hair falling over his eyes, and his cheeky mouth, there was Choi Kyuhyun, the youngest of their team and also the official IT man and hacker. Those two were the ones Donghae spent his whole day with and they never got tired of bickering.

“Trouble in paradise hyung?” he asked, sitting at his desk.

“No…” he said unconvinced. “She’s just been pressuring me a bit lately…”

Kyuhyun mimicked a ring being set on a finger to Donghae, and the analyst smiled silently. Leeteuk had been with his girlfriend Sora for a while now but he had still not proposed to her, which was a bit surprising. He thought his hyung’s dream was to get married and have a family, but now something made him hesitant.

“What are you guys talking about?”

A tall man came in the room and greeted them with a warm and awkward smile. Two years ago, Zhoumi, the Chinese member and their forensic, suffered from agoraphobia and used to never go out of his lab. Now not only was he living in the outside world, but he got better at interacting with people. He handed two Starbucks coffees to both Kyuhyun and Leeteuk who jumped on it like famished hyenas.

“You’re absolutely the best!” said Kyuhyun hugging his paper cup.

“I knew you would need it. And about you and Sora-noona I can only say treat her well. She is one of a kind.”

Leeteuk nodde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter