Chapter 2 - Pride

Chess Game 2 - Lost Sins
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After leaving Donghae at the NP’s door, Eunhyuk went to his desk where his partner was waiting for him.

“Where’s my coffee?”

“Since when am I your errand boy?”

“You never take care of your poor partner…”

Sungmin pouted, which made him smile. They’ve been partners for 7 years now but the man hadn’t changed a bit. He still had this baby round face, with his blond hair falling in bangs over his clear blue eyes. Someone who didn’t know would never guess that this guy was a detective from the violent crime’s section; his appearance seemed too delicate for that. They wouldn’t know how fierce and diligent he was. After everything that happened with the Classic and Checkmate killers, he resumed his work at Eunhyuk’s side and even if they loved bickering he wouldn’t change his partner. They were at their best when together. Eunhyuk loved working with Donghae too, he wasn’t a bad partner, but sometimes he liked keeping his private life separate from his work.

“So… relieved from the last arrest? It’s going to be calm from now on.”

“Don’t worry we’ll always have our share of bad guys to catch.”

“Talking about bad guys, did you hear about Heechul’s new assignment?”

Eunhyuk threw him a questioning look, but he already knew even before his partner said a word, that he wouldn’t like it.

***

Eunhyuk stormed into Kangin’s office without even knocking. His boss, sitting at his desk, didn’t even raise his eyes from his files when the other come barging in.

“Are you serious?! Why did Heechul get Changmin’s first mission on the field? I’ve been his supervisor since he joined the force.”

Kangin calmly put down the documents in his hands and let out a long sigh.

“I knew you would be like this. That’s exactly why you can’t be objective about it. And it would be good if Changmin experienced some other’s point of view.”

“I don’t care! I’m going to be his supervisor.”

Kangin sighed again and nodded in defeat. Eunhyuk smiled proudly, his stubbornness drove his chief insane but it got him places, most of the time.

“You’re unbelievable, seriously… Heechul’s not going to be happy about it.”

“He can always put it in his long list of reasons to hate me.” Eunhyuk said shrugging.

Heechul, one of the other best detectives of their precinct had since his first day, created a kind of rivalry with Eunhyuk, and even if things had been better this past year they still competed for things. Usually Eunhyuk didn’t care about it, but regarding Changmin he wasn’t about to let it go.

Proud of his victory, Eunhyuk was about to exit the office when Kangin stopped him.

“By the way did Siwon contacted you? Are you going to testify?”

“What are you talking about?”

“About Donghwa…”

Eunhyuk stopped abruptly. Hearing this name sent shivers down his spine and not the pleasant kind. Kangin stared blankly at him trying to asses if he was pretending not to know, but soon realized that he was truly oblivious.

“Oh you don’t know…  my mistake, “he said “, Siwon will probably keep you posted soon.”

When usually Eunhyuk would’ve pestered Kangin to know more, he didn’t ask a thing, shrugged while leaving the room. It wasn’t the first time he suspected Siwon from keeping things from him and having secrets. After they put Sora’s murdered behind bars they had different ways of dealing with it. He wasn’t curious at all! He preferred not knowing anything about Donghwa. It was already hard enough trying to deny his existence when he was Donghae’s brother… Eunhyuk tried, he really tried hard but he couldn’t stop hating the Classic Killer for everything he took from him. But how could he totally hate the only family his boyfriend had left? The one that loved Donghae as much as him, and gave his whole life for him… It was a difficult position and Eunhyuk had complicated feeling about it. So why was Kangin mentioning him now? And what was that about Siwon?

His thoughts were interrupted by a young and very tall boy. With his blue uniform and his black short shaved hair, it was obvious he had just come out of the academy. Seeing him dressed like that Eunhyuk had a small pinch in his heart, thinking about Henry. The sibling resemblance was heartbreaking. But instead of sadness, Eunhyuk greeted him with a proud smile.

“Hey you brat! So are you ready for your first mission?”

“I was just about to go see Kangin in that regard. They told me Heechul-hyung will be the one handling my training?”

“I corrected that nonsense, you’re with me.”

The boy had a bright smile. Ever since what happened two years ago the bond and the friendship that formed between them only just grew. Eunhyuk was fond of the boy, and he had taken him under his wing, after all they shared the same kind of loss… They walked together to the main desks.

“Hey brat! How is the married life going?” Sungmin haled him.

“Is it going to be a thing calling me brat?”

Sungmin and Eunhyuk exchanged a glance and turned to him with dorky smiles.

“Absolutely!”

“So how’s Boa?”

“She is fine. A bit nervous about me taking functions today, but I reassured her that I had you guys to watch my back.”

“I don’t think that’s what she was being cautious about…”

“Our section doesn’t have a good reputation…” Sungmin commented.

“I don’t care… this is where he was.”

They nodded without making a comment. They knew how the boy felt. Just after leaving the prison where he was unjustly locked up for 5 years, Changmin got married to Boa. They had fallen in love during her case to free him from prison, and have been leaving a happy married life ever since. It wasn’t strange for Eunhyuk to see his ex-girlfriend being his friend’s wife, on the contrary, they kept a good relationship, and anyway Eunhyuk was too in love with Donghae to ever feel embarrassed in front of her.

Deciding it was time to work; Sungmin and Eunhyuk put Changmin in one of the d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter