Chapter 4

Arbutus (Thee Only Do I Love)

The day ended without Aron attending any of his classes.Thinking about how he'd have to explain himself to his teachers gave him a headache. To miss all but one of your classes on the first day doesn't really scream good first impression.

" Aron hyung? you're awfully quiet today." Minki looked at his older brother with concern. The walk back home was quiet, had it been any other day Aron would be teasing Minki and at the same time he'd be clinging on to him. However, today Aron kept his distance and hasn't uttered a single word since they left school grounds.

"hmm...? oh sorry. I was just thinking about something..." Aron saw how worried Minki was. He gave him a reassuring smile to show that he didn't need to worry too much. " Come on Aron hyung, you can tell me."

Aron sighed, there was no winning against him.Though the two boys were not blood related, Aron loved him as if they were. " I didn't go to my other classes, and I'm trying to think of an excuse to give my teachers tomorrow." 

"Is that all?" Minki giggled. " You're really too good you know that? I thought it was something more serious."

"What do you mean? Minki, I’m being serious here. It’s my first day at your school and I blew my first impression.”  

“ Like you said, it’s your first day. You need to relax. If you’re so worried, why not leave this matter up to me?” Minki beamed. Upon seeing how happy he was, Aron worried what his little brother was scheming.

“Minki, I’ll handle my own matters. Don’t you dare do anything.” 

“Fine then I won’t.” Minki stuck his tongue out at his brother and ran ahead of him. “ Last person to reach the house has to buy ice cream for the winner.” 

‘Childish.’ Aron shook his head and ran after him. 

———

Aron realized that he had no clue what was assigned for homework as he never attended any of his classes. He unfortunately hadn't made any friends yet so there was no way to find out. Part of him wanted to blame the boy from the music room but he knows that the one to blame was none other than himself. If  he had just returned to his class instead of going back. He threw himself on his bed and groaned.

____dream_______________

Aron felt a cool breeze brushing softly against his skin. When he opens his eyes he found himself in a clearing. He noticed how pretty the sky was;  an endless canvas painted with hues of red, orange and violet.  In that moment, he felt at peace.

" Didn't we promise that we'll always be together?" Aron looks at his surrounding, but there was no one there but him.

" Have you forgotten?" 

" Forgotten what?" Aron asks himself.  Was there something he's forgotten? Who was the person he made the promise with?

________ end dream_______________

Aron woke up to the sound of his phone alarm going off. His brother would usually wake him up in the morning and he had no recollection of ever setting his alarm up the night before. He stood up and made his way to Minki's room.

" Minki wake-"  The bed was made, there was no sign of him. "Probably in the kitchen." Aron mumbled still half asleep.

The kitchen was vacant. A note left on the table which he can only assume that the note was from his little brother. Upon closer inspection, his assumption had been right.

                                                                        Hyung, I left for school early. Please don't forget to eat. - Minki

It was peculiar for Minki to leave early without him, but Aron didn't think much of it. He made a mental note to himself to talk to his teachers before class starts.

_________________________________

Aron made it to his next class. " Miss Lim? I'm the new student. I'd like to talk to you about me not showing up to class yesterday."

" Ah, Aron. So good to finally meet you. And about that, don't worry about it. Here, I wrote down the homework I assigned yesterday." Miss Lim smiled broadly at Aron as she passed on the homework assignment. The classroom was starting to fill just in time before the bell rung to signify that class will begin.

" Okay class, Our new student is here. His name is Aron Choi. Please be nice and help him feel welcomed. "

_________________________________

" So how did your second day of school go?"

" It went surprisingly well? My teachers didn't seem to mind me skipping class. and they were all...so nice."  Aron hadn't expected this outcome, however he did expect to face some kind of consequence.

" That was all thanks to me." Aron froze. It suddenly dawned on him that the reason why Minki left so early in the morning was so that he could carry out his plan.

" Minki, what...did you do?" Aron hesitated to ask.

" Nothing much. I just bribed them."

" You what?!" Aron raised his voice catching attention from everyone else around them. He gave a quick bow of apology before asking again, in a much gentler tone.

" Let me tell you something. the students here uses bribery as a way to get out of trouble. And of course, the teachers would just accept the bribery."

" That's absurd.." Aron stares at Minki in disbelief. " So wouldn't there also be student who uses bribery to change their marks in class?"

 " Nope. Despite what you might think, the students here actually do their best in academics."

" Pfft...like you?" Aron teases to which he earned a slap on the arm from the younger male.

" I'm doing just fine in my classes thank you very much. "

 

 

 

> Hey, wondering where Mr. and Mrs. Choi are? and what their job is? No? in case you were wondering, The chois' are well known lawyers but are currently out on a one month vacation. you gotta go on a vacation sometimes you know. <