Chapter Five

Cold Brew

Chapter Five

 

Jin sighed as he said goodbye to Jisoo, she had been a good barista, a woman who would always serve the customers with a smile on her face, even the arseholes. He was going to miss her, then again he knew that his employees would come and go and change a lot over the years. She had only been there for two years, but she was bright and bubbly.

 

“Okay,” he said as he looked at the others, “We’ll be advertising for a new barista soon. I’ll have someone that we can train up if we need to as well,” he added though that was more for his benefit rather than his workers.

 

“We can always keep an eye out as well,” one of them suggested.

 

“Thank you, that would be appreciated,” Jin smiled at him, “I’ll have the new rota shifts done up soon to cover for Jisoo until we find someone to fill the vacant position.”

 

“Okay,” they nodded and got back to work, there was still a few more hours before the place closed for the night.

 

Jin walked towards the table near the back, he smiled as he saw Namjoon glance up from the book he was reading, “Relaxing here again Namjoon, one would think that you didn’t want to go home?” he asked him.

 

“You know that’s not true hyung,” Namjoon said, “I just finished work not an hour ago,” he sighed, sinking in his chair a little, “I was going to help Hobi move his friend to his new flat,” he told him.

 

“Why didn’t you go?” he asked as he sat down, one of the baristas quickly bringing over a latte for him, “thank you Jinyoung.”

 

“Got called into work. The artist I’m working on had a brain wave or so they said, wanted to redo the whole tracklist for their album. So I was asked to come in and oversee it. But it was a disaster, he didn’t know what he was doing. We got about halfway through his so-called brain wave, but in the end, it was scrapped. So we used what he had already done, so a waste of time. Thought I would come here since Hobi decided to remain with his friend for a while and have dinner with them.”

 

“So how about coming back to mind and having dinner with me and Taehyung?” he asked him, “I still have a few hours here, but Taehyung is home, well, he should, I hope, be doing his homework,” he said, a little smile on his face. It wasn’t often he was able to spend time with his best friend. They had met in high school. Quickly becoming friends, they’d gone to the same college and even university in the end. And now two years after all that, they were still the best of friends.

 

“Sound like a good idea, wouldn’t mind something home-cooked,” he grinned at him.

 

Jin laughed, “Doesn't Hoseok feed you?” he asked him.

 

“Yeah, he’s a few steps above me when it comes to cooking. I think his friend tries to teach him things. Since he cooks a lot,” he told him, a soft smile on his face as he talked about his boyfriend, “But I don't know how much he’s been able to get through to Hobi what he should be doing,” he paused for a moment and blushed, “we sometimes get a little distracted.”

 

“Too much information there, friend or not, I don't need to know some things!” he told him, smacking him on the arm.

 

Namjoon laughed at his reaction, “Sorry hyung,” he told him, though he didn’t sound sorry in the least.

 

Jin sighed, “for that, you can help me work out a notice to put out for a new barista,” he told him.

 

“Oh you’re looking for someone?” he asked him, ears perking up at that. He had been told by Hoseok to keep an ear out for a job opening somewhere.

 

“Yes, Jisoo left this afternoon. I’ll need to put out a notice for someone,” he sighed as he got up, “Come on, you can come to the office with me,” he told him.

 

“Yeah, sure, but I might, or rather Hoseok might know of someone that is after a job, and if it's nine to five that would be even better,” he added, as he got up as well.

 

“Really?” he asked him, “Who?” he asked.

 

“Hoseok friend lost their job, he has a son, around five. He got fired, wrongly I might add, when his boss told him that he was to either finish his shift or be fired when his son had a fall. He had broken his arm and the woman wanted him to wait another four hours before he was to be let home,” Namjoon told him, explaining the circumstances of what had happened.

 

“What?! How could a boss be so heartless, a little child needs their parents when their hurt like that, though why didn’t the mother take him?” he then wondered.

 

“Yoongi’s a single parent,” he told him.

 

“Ah,” he nodded, “Right. Well, I can put off putting an advert out for a little while. Tell him to come down here tomorrow afternoon if he can and I’ll interview him. I won't just give him a job you know that’s not how I work Namjoonie,” he warned him.

 

“I don't mind that, he’s been looking for a day time job for a while, he worked nights and evenings most of the time. Hoseok said he was usually tired and run down when it came for Jimin, his son, to come home from kindergarten,” he told him as they entered the office.

 

“Right, well I don’t need someone with training, I don't mind doing that. So as long as he proves to be hardworking and punctual, within reason, I know having young ones around can make you late to a lot of things,” he told him, remembering how many times Taehyung had done the same thing with him after he took custody of him after their parents had died.

 

“I don't think he would mind that,” Namjoon said but he was a little unsure as he had never meet Yoongi either.

 

“Okay, make sure to tell him, but you can still help me with some things,” he told him as he took him to the office and brought out what had been given to him a while ago. He hadn't wanted to show them to Namjoon while there was a chance that Taehyung could see them.

 

“Like what?” he asked him as he sat down, frowning a little while Jin locked the door behind them.

 

“Sorry, don't want anyone coming in,” he told him as he went to his desk and sat down. “You know I hired someone to look into the death of my parents?” he asked him getting a nod in return, “Well, they came back to me a few days ago. He and the team that he works with agree that there is no way that it wasn’t a hit. The car had to have been reinforced to be able to get away with the hit against my parent's car. And they would have to know how reinforced my parent's car was as well,” he added as he pulled out the photos and the written report that had been more details than what the PI had told him.

 

Namjoon took them, wincing a little at the pictures. He was just thankful that they were just pictures of the car and not of the crime scene before they had been taken out. It wouldn't do for him to see his parents bodies. It wasn’t someone anyone should have to go through. Though he had been the one that had gone with Jin to identify them. He shuddered remembering how Jin had been that night when he had learned. Jin had only just gone eighteen, only three days after his birthday and he was in the city morgue identifying them. Inconsolable was the only work he could think of that came close to how Jin had been.

 

“You can see that there is a lot there that wasn’t told to us when they first investigating,” Jin added, “they just skimmed over it, thinking it was a normal hit and run. But my parents always made sure that their cars were strong and sturdy, reinforced so a normal collision like that would barely do any damage. I’ve had the same done to mine as well,” he added, “something my father started in that respect,” he gave a small smile.

 

“So someone close to them?” he asked Jin.

 

“Someone in the company for sure. Since it was something that the company knew about, so it’s basically someone that I work with,” he told him, sighing heavily. “I haven’t told Taehyung this, he doesn’t need to know at the moment. Let him be a teenager, I don't want to make him grow up any more than he already has,” he told Namjoon.

 

“Okay, but you do know that you should be careful? Don't you?” he asked him, a little worried.

 

“I know. If it was murder, then they’re still out there and we don't know what they want. They could just want them dead or something else,” he nodded, understanding the danger, “it’s why I don't want Taehyung to know, I keep him in the dark, then he should be safe from this. I don't even know if I should tell you either,” he rubbed his face a little.

 

Namjoon shook his head, “make sure you keep me up to date with everything. I want to know it all. And give me copies of everything you get as well. I can hide them in my studio at work. I've got a lot of sensitive stuff there so it won't be out of place,” he told him.

 

Jin nodded in agreement, “okay I can do that,” he said, a little happy that copies would be made and hidden around the place.

 

“Right, let me read through this again properly,” he said as he waved the report, Jin nodded as he concentrated on some of the paperwork he had for his Company, being CEO wasn’t an easy job. It was sixty percent paperwork and forty percent meetings that he could never miss unless he wanted something he didn’t want happening.

 

Three hours later the two of them were heading out, the cafe was closed for the night and they were not laughing over other things, the sombre mood from earlier gone. Tough Namjoon would be by during lunch the next day to pick up copies of the things that Jin had received. 

 

“So, is Taehyung doing well at school?” he asked him.

 

“Yes, he is, he’s okay with his school. But he doesn’t love it. He has only a small group of friends, which I feel isn’t like Tae,” he sighed, a little worried for him.

 

“Yeah, I know you said he’s a bit of a social butterfly, so only having a few friends, isn’t normal for him,” he said as Jin locked up the cafe.

 

“No it isn’t, oh and have you told Hoseok to talk to his friend?” he asked him, heading towards his car, the two used the same car park, so Namjoon would follow him home.

 

“I did, he’s going to tell him after they’ve eaten. Since he doesn't have work tomorrow, he is going to be watching the kid for him as well. “Oh, his name is Yoongi,” he added, “Don't think that helps at all. But there you go,” he smiled, chuckling a little as Jin shook his head.

 

“Honestly Namjoon, you just call him Hoseok’s friend all the time, this is the first time I’ve heard you use his name,” he snorted a little.

 

“Yeah, I haven't met him yet,” he told him.

 

“Well, if he works at my cafe then you might just start seeing him and meeting him, then I might also be able to meet Hoseok as well,” he added as they reached the car park.

 

“Yeah,” he laughed brightly, “right, see you at yours,” he told him heading for his car.

 

“Will do,” Jin said as he got into his car. He started it up and pulled out of the car park, he could see Namjoon following behind him as he went home to have dinner with his best friend and little brother.