Chapter One

Cold Brew

Chapter One

 

Yoongi sighed and stretched a little, “It’s all worth it,” he muttered to himself again and again as he went back out there, putting a smile on his face as he went to the next table. “Good evening sirs and madams, welcome, here are some menus for you to pursue,” he smiled as he handed each of the four people sitting at the table a menu each, “Would you like to order drinks while you look through our food menus?” he asked, taking out a small notebook and a pen from his pocket.

 

“Yes please,” the elder of the two men said, listing off what they all wanted quickly.

 

“I will get that to you in a moment,” he nodded, writing it down, “I will return with your drinks momentarily,”

 

He went to the bar and ordered the drinks. It didn’t take long for them to be placed on a tray. He walked between the tables, narrowly avoiding a chair being shoved out. He gave a little sigh of relief when he didn’t spill any of the drinks. Any spillages always came out of the pay packet and he couldn't afford to do that. Putting the fake smile on his face again he headed towards the table he was currently serving.

 

“Here we go sir,” he said, repeating the drinks as he handed them out, “Are you ready to order or would you like some more time?” he asked them.

 

“We’ll order now,” the elder man said once more. Yoongi took their order and then walked to place it. He sighed, at least he would be able to get a few moments of peace as the other tables he was waiting on had been served.

 

“Tough night?” his fellow waiter asked as she stopped beside him for a few seconds.

 

“Yeah,” he smiled, “but then again, isn’t it always?” he asked, shaking her head.

 

“That's true,” she chuckled lightly as the bell dinged. They looked over, “That would be mine,” she said as he went over and grabbed the plates.

 

“Hows little Jimin?” the bartender asked as he looked at him.

 

“Doing okay, can’t wait for him to be in school properly. He wants to learn everything, he questions everything as well,” he chuckled lightly with a fond and proud smile on his face, thinking of his four-year-old son.

 

“He is a cutie,” he laughed seeing his friend looking so happy when he was thinking of his son.

 

“Yeah, doesn't take after me at all,” he snorted, “All his mother,” he said with a shake of his head.

 

“Maybe you’ll see more of you in him when he grows up a little more,” he suggested softly.

 

“I can hope,” he grinned as the bell dinged. “Not me again,” he muttered as he glanced over.

 

“I don't see why you don't just quit this job and do something else,” the bartender questioned with a shake of his head.

 

Yoongi turned to him, “And do what?” he asked,

 

“Anything but this,” he pointed out to him, “you hate it here, having to put your son in someone else's hands each and every night, you hate doing it. You need a proper day job,” he finished as he dried another glass, ready to be reused.

 

“I know that, but trying to get a regular nine to five, just hasn’t worked out. Most want someone with experience or something like that,” he sighed, “It’s always the same. I’ve been trying so hard to get something,” he added, looking down. “It’s hard to find a place hiring and when I get there, I’m tired, I’ve had to make sure that Jimin is at kindergarten, and hope that whatever it is doesn't run over the time he finishes,” he murmured tiredly. He had been trying to find something more family friendly since Jimin was two.

 

“So you just keep looking and applying and getting nowhere?” he asked him, frowning at the thought.

 

“That, just that. All the time. I call them, they say come in and nothing, just nothing no call back after an interview. No letter saying sorry we don't want you,” he grumbled annoyed with the way some of them had treated him.

 

“Damn, most will at least call you and let you know if you can do it or not,” he muttered.

 

“No all of them,” he snorted, pulling a face.

 

“So who is watching Jimin tonight for you?” he asked, wondering if the man’s friend had taken the little boy again.

 

“Well Hobi can’t, normally I would ask him, but he’s doing something tonight,” he murmured, glancing towards the floor as someone else entered, seating on another waiters area.

 

“Oh, what's Hobi up to tonight then?” he smiled, he had heard a lot about Yoongi’s friend, that he was a bright and happy man that had been there for Yoongi when not many wanted to know him.

 

“He’s taking out his other half for dinner,” Yoongi smiled, “I'm still waiting to meet him. Hobi hiding him away, afraid I’ll do something,” he laughed lightly, thinking of his best friend.

 

“I bet you can’t wait until he finally gets around to it then,” he smirked, “You’ve been alone since Jisoo left you.”

 

“Well, there are reasons for that. One I prefer men mostly,” he started, “and Two I have a four-year-old son, I’ve got to put him first. And three, I don’t have the time,” he finished listing ticking off each finger as he went.

 

“I know, but that shouldn't stop you from having a little fun on occasions,” he told him, shaking his head.

 

“Maybe when I have Hobi or Jisoo around to watch him,” Yoongi said, though they both knew it wouldn’t happen.

 

“It’s nice to know that Jisoo is around though,” the bartender said softly as he thought of Yoongi’s ex-girlfriend.

 

“Yeah, not many would still be on good terms with their ex after leaving,” a waitress said as she joined them.

 

“Jisoo and I just didn’t work out. She wanted something different in life, and I didn’t want to say bye to Jimin. I wish she had been able to remain here, instead of moving away for work, but we’re making it work as best as we can,” he said with a smile, “She’s still a really great friend and a wonderful mother to Jimin,” he added, thinking of the woman.

 

“Hmm,” the waitress smile to him, “good thing,” she chuckled lightly.

 

“So you have Lisa babysitting for him then?” he asked him.

 

“Yeah, I’m not too keen on her. Jimin likes her, thankfully. But she seems a little flaky at times. I don’t think she puts him to bed at the right time and I know for a fact that she had someone around once. I just… I don't know how much longer I will use her services. I’ve started looking for someone else, but it’s hard to find someone with my budget,” Yoongi sighed.

 

“Good, I don’t think I would want someone like that around my child if they could be that irresponsible,” the waitress told him, “I’m just glad my parents help me and my husband out with the babysitting since we both work nights.

 

“Mine wants nothing to do with me, and her’s are the same. So we just have each other,” he muttered darkly as he thought of Jimin’s grandparents.

 

“Why not?” the bartender asked him, taking an order for drinks as another walked over to them and started to pour them out.

 

“Because I told them that I prefer men after Jisoo and I split up just before Jimin was born. Her's weren't happy because we refused to remain together,” he answered, “it’s not exactly a secret that I prefer men to women.”

 

“True,” he said handing the drinks over onto a tray.

 

The bell dinged, “That's you,” the waitress said with a little smile.

 

Yoongi looked over and nodded, “Yeah it is,” he sighed as he went and grabbed the plates, balancing them he went over to the table and severed them, going back for the last two and then returning, a smile on his face, “Enjoy your food.” With a bow he then left them alone, spying another table that had entered his area. He went over and started all over again.

 

It was nearing nine o'clock when he finally got a small break, and by a small break, it was three minutes to have a small drink of water before he went back out. The manager of the place was strict with everyone. If you took too long, money was docked from your paycheck. For any infraction, the manager thought you did it was taken from your paycheck. He had been working there for almost two years. He hated it with a passion. He knew that what the manager was doing wasn’t exactly legal, but no one had been able to get it changed.

 

“Yoongi,” came one of the staff members.

 

Yoongi turned, as he was about to head back out into the dining room, “Yeah, what is it?” he asked, frowning.

 

“You’re phone’s ringing in the back, been going off for the last ten minutes,” he told him.

 

Yoongi’s frown deepened everyone knew not to call him when he was working. They knew what the boss was like. He started to shake a little as he ran to the back room. Grabbing his phone from his things and pulling it out. It was Lisa. It started ringing again and he answered it.

 

“Lisa, what is it?” he asked her, worst-case scenario going through his head.

 

“I… Jimin had a fall, he’s crying and he says his arm hurts really bad,” she told him, her voice was shaking a little as she talked, but it soon steadied out

 

“How the hell did that happen he was supposed to be in bed almost two hours ago,” Yoongi exclaimed, not happy that his orders for his son weren’t being followed. A bedtime was enforced for a reason.

 

“It doesn’t hurt to let him stay up a little,” she protested, but it sounded weak to Yoongi’s ears.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” he sighed, “I gave you a specific bedtime for a reason, now what happened exactly?” he demanded, needing to know how serious things were before he could even think of leaving work.

 

“He was jumping around, and he jumped onto the sofa and went on the back of it and fell off,” she said, she didn’t sound so calm and Yoongi could hear Jimin crying in the background, “I think you need to come and take him to the hospital.” He blunt words shook Yoongi even more. His insides were rolling as he thought of what could have happened to his son.

 

“Okay, keep him calm as you can and I’ll be there as soon as,” he told her, sighing a little as he ran a hand through his hair, messing the blond hair up.

 

“Okay,” she said hanging up.

 

Yoongi frowned, “A child has just been hurt and she doesn't even sound that bothered about it,” he muttered darkly as he put it away and then walked out of the room. Heading towards the manager's office he dreaded what was to come. He would have to leave early and he knew that while he hadn’t had to do this in well over a year, there was going to be a lot of ing about it from her. He knocked on the door and waited.

 

“Come in,” came a snappish call from inside.

 

“Park-ssi,” he said as he walked in, giving her a small bow as he closed the door behind him.

 

“Yoongi, what do you want?” she asked him, looking up from what she was doing.

 

“I’m sorry, but I really need to get home. My babysitter said that my son has had a fall. I need to take him to the hospital,” he answered her, knowing it was best to get it out there and not beat around the bush.

 

She looked at him, “No, you can’t leave, you have to finish your shift,” she ordered him.

 

“Park-ssi, my son needs me, I need to go home. I’m sorry, but I’m going,” he told her, shaking his head and messing up his hair even more as he ran a hand through it.

 

“You will leave when I say you will leave and not before,” she orders him, going back to her work.

 

“I’m leaving, you should find someone to cover the rest of my shift. My son is hurt and I need to take him to the hospital,” he said as he started to walk out of the room.

 

“You leave and you will be fired,” she warned him, voice going cold.

 

Yoongi winced, the thought of the bills he would have to pay for Jimin going to the hospital swirling around his mind, “Please Park-ssi, this is my son. He needs help, there is no one else that can take him there. Only me, you can’t just fire me for that?” he protested, turning to her for a moment.

 

“I can and I will leave and you are fired,” she repeated standing up behind her desk, slamming her hands on her desk.

 

“Then I guess I’m tired,” he said, shaking his head, “Goodbye Park-ssi,” he said as he turned around and walked out.

 

“Where are you going?” one of the chefs asks as he walked into the back to grab his things.

 

“I’ve been fired because I need to leave and take Jimin to the hospital,” he muttered, “and I need to hurry, it’s going to take me ages to get home walking it,” he added. It would take him half an hour to walk home. Though he knew that he would be running for most of it, still it was going to take him at least fifteen minutes to get there.

 

“She can’t do that?!” she protested, eyes wide in shock.

 

“Well she is and has, and I better get my last paycheck or there will be hell to pay, I’m going to need it,” he added with a heavy sigh, putting his jacket on and headed out. He wondered as well if he could do something about wrongful dismissal, but he didn’t know if it would be worth it in the end.

 

“Take care of yourself Yoongi,” she told him, “I’ll tell the others what is going on,” she added, giving him a small wave.

 

“Thanks, see ya around,” he said with a quick wave as he stepped outside., There was a chill in the early April nighttime, the sky above dark as he ran home.