Final

Red Herring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let’s run away together.” Kun says his voice hushed and anxious as he pulls ten year old me to the side. “I don’t want to become King.”

Prince Qian Kun turned twelve today and he was pressed about his parents insistency on him becoming King whenever he came of age. For Kun six more years of freedom wasn’t enough for him. Ever since I can remember he had whispered to me that he didn’t want to become King. I had known Kun my entire life for our families were allies and great friends.

Our Kingdoms were neighbors to one another and we sort of just always sought out each other in times of need.

I understood Kun’s need to want to runaway. I too was scared, I was scared of what was to come, that one day I’d be married off to some stranger just for political gain. It was a nightmare I’d have often. I’d often lie in bed at night and wonder what man would be the one to take away my freedom.

My voice comes out hushed as well, if anyone were to hear us we’d surely be in much trouble. “Okay, tomorrow night then?”

He glances off to the side to think. “Mm, sounds good.”

Running away with Kun even at the age of ten sounded way better than what future was bound to come my way.

Only we never got to go down that path, for the next morning at the crack of dawn my parents were dragging me out of bed and into a car. Once the car came to a stop I had realized we were at another Empire, one that was ruled over by a distant relative of mine.

When I asked why we were there I was given the most heart breaking news of my life. Kun had banished me from his land, apparently since I had agreed to sneak out with him I had basically agreed to commit treason. It was all a plan according to my mother, to test my loyalty and apparently I had failed.

As much as ten year old me tried to hate Kun at first I couldn’t. A full year after that I continued to lie in bed and cry about what I felt was a betrayal. I had thought we were friends but I guess there’s no such thing as that in the life we live.

As the years progressed I slowly became more and more bitter about what had happened. And the bitterness hit its peak whenever Kun’s eighteenth birthday came along, his inauguration was announced and he became King of the Qian nation.

I hated him.

All that hate burrows deep in my chest, so when Kun turns twenty and a ball is announced where dozens upon dozens of Princesses will attend hoping to be chosen as his Queen I turn to my personal guard.

“I’m going to that ball.” I scoff sitting down the invitation my cousin had got. I had managed to slip it from her pile of mail before she could see it herself.

Doyoung’s innocent eyes widen. “Princess Taeha you can’t, you’ve been banished from the Qian Empire. If they find out you’re there they’ll kill you.”

I roll my eyes at his statement. I loved the boy too death, he had been my guard since I had arrived in the Park Empire. At first I had treated him like complete and utter trash but I quickly learned that he had no part in what was really making me angry.

“It’s a masquerade Doyoung, relax I won’t get caught.” I sigh glancing back at the invitation. “I’m more worried about my parents finding out than him.”

Doyoung shakes his head. “You’re crazy if you think you’ll get in and out of there safely.”

“I’ll have you with me won’t I?” I playfully smirk. “Besides, this was going to happen one way or another. If I happen to die while there at least I got the chance to see that prick’s face once more.”

He sighs. “If we go you’re only staying for a few hours, we have to leave when I say so.”

I hum. “Fine.”

He smiles. “Alright, I’ll tell Seulgi to start on a dress and mask, and to keep it a secret.”

I smile up at him. “Tell her to make it my favorite color.”

 

-

 

The day of the event Seulgi comes rushing in with my red dress and matching mask. Irene is behind her with a makeup bag.

“Let’s get you all dolled up before someone notices we’re missing from the studio.” Irene grins wide coming forward to drag me over to the vanity across the room.

An hour and a half later I’m in my dress and mask and ready to go. Seulgi and Irene step out to let Doyoung know he can come in. Upon entering Doyoung’s eyes go wide.

He has an endearing look on his face, almost like a look a mother would give her daughter. “Taeha, you look beautiful.”

I smile sweetly at the boy. “Wouldn’t it be nice if I got to dress in one of Seulgi’s dresses whenever I actually get married? Married to someone I choose.”

Doyoung sends me a sad smile, he knew that neither of those would come true. For my Uncle would marry me off to some King that was near his death bed if he needed to. That day would come as soon as the opportunity arose I’m sure. At that time I would probably never get to see Seulgi, Irene, Doyoung, or even my cute little cousin Prince Jisung again.

“It would be a dream of mine if you could marry someone you choose, Princess.” Doyoung hums coming forward to take my hand. “Are you ready to go?”

I nod.

 

-

 

We arrive at the event shortly after it began. Doyoung helps me out of the car and my eyes immediately go to my surroundings. I never realized how much I missed this place until now. I swallow nervously and glance at a Doyoung who was already staring at me.

“Please whatever you do don’t call me my by name tonight. Just Princess will do.”

He nods and helps me up the stairs inside the building. Once inside the few girls who had yet to move into the ballroom all looked in my direction.

I heard several snorts and chuckles at my appearance.

“What an idiot, does she even realize by wearing that she’s already on the bottom of the list?” One remarks.

“Maybe she doesn’t know?”

“She must be joking?”

I glance at Doyoung’s mask-less face. “What are they going on about?”

He shrugs seeming confused as well. “I don’t know?”

That’s when a girl in a royal blue dress steps in front of us, her matching mask barely covering her face. Almost defeating the purpose of the event being a masquerade.

She glances me up and down. “Wow, so are you here just to piss off the King?”

I mean kind of, but how could she tell?

“What do you mean?” I reply cocking my head to the side. The weight from my hair on my head making my neck strain a tad bit.

She snorts. “You must be from one of those smaller empires then.” She shakes her head her eyes crinkling up beneath her mask. “It is forbidden to wear red in the Qian Empire, didn’t you know? Princess or not, not even the King wears it.”

I swallow, well . “Why?”

She shrugs. “Rules aren’t made to be questioned.” She turns to leave. “I hope for your sake the King is forgiving.”

Doyoung whips his head towards me. “Tae-,” I shoot him a look. “I mean Princess, I think we should just leave now.” He tugs on my arm.

I stand firmly in place. “No.”

Doyoung’s facial expression hardens. “You’re asking to get yourself locked up, or maybe even killed.”

I just had to see him once. Maybe I had been lying to myself all this time? I didn’t want to harm him or get any sort of revenge. I just wanted to see his face after all of these years. I would do anything in order to do so, in order to see his face after betraying me.

I shrug nonchalantly. “I can’t leave now, especially knowing this now. I want to see his face whenever I walk in there in a color he forbids people to wear. I would die happy just knowing that I’ve pissed him off in some way.” I lie.

Doyoung knows. There’s no way he doesn’t. He knows I’m in love with the King who wants nothing to do with me. He knows I’m in so deep I’d risk getting both myself and Doyoung killed just to see his face. But both of us will never mention it out loud.

“Is this a royal command?” He swallows.

“Yes.”

“I’m pulling you out as soon as things look nasty.”

 

-

 

Doyoung helps me down the stairs to the ballroom, like before in the foyer everyone stops and stares at me. I notice the girl in the royal blue dress shaking her head probably wondering why I came inside even after her warning.

As my heeled shoe touches the last step my eyes make contact with Kun. He is mask-less like all the personal guards in the room. Despite being older I could still recognize him easily.

He’s matured a lot since I last saw him. His legs are long making him stand tall over most of the women clad in heels, his black hair has been replaced with blonde. My heart aches at seeing him. Why did he betray me?

He looks less than pleased as he glances in my direction. He seemingly cracks his neck, I could tell I had already pissed him off. He pushes his drink off onto the male next to him, my eyes lingering over to him. It was Prince Sicheng. Kun’s best friend. My best friend.

I for some reason wanted to cry, Doyoung’s grip tightens on my arm. “Oh, Princess I worry for your safety.” He hums quietly.

“I’ll be fine.” I reply glancing back at him. I pull my arm from his and send him a small smile. “You should go have a few drinks.”

“For once I don’t think I can drink and you know how much I love wine.” He murmurs reluctantly stepping off to the side.

I glance back in Kun’s direction and notice he’s heading straight towards me, the girls in front of him quickly parting as he walks through.

I take a deep breath. Don’t let him notice you’re nervous. Don’t give yourself away.

He stops a couple feet in front of me examining me from head to toe again. He sighs and takes one more step to where he could speak to me.

He forces a smile on his face. “Who are you if I may ask?”

I clear my throat. “I am Princess Park Jiahn.” I lie, sorry cousin for throwing you under the bus.

He tsks. “Then you should be aware of what’s forbidden in my land.”

I shrug a smirk tugging on my lips. “Why would you forbid anyone from wearing such a beautiful color?”

His jaw tightens. “I don’t think you’re in a position that can question my law.”

My tongue runs along my lower lip inside my mouth. “Ehh, don’t be a party pooper, King.”

He scowls. “Do you realize how disrespectful you are being right now?” He huffs. “You do realize that there’s no way you’ll become my Queen?”

I smile. “I never had a chance anyways.”

He suddenly notices the attention he’s grabbed from his raised voice. He seems to have an internal argument with himself before he steps forward once more, one hand going to my waist, the other on my hand.

My heart thumps in my chest at his touch, my mind reeling back to when I was eight and his mother taught us how to ballroom dance.

We start to dance but that doesn’t draw any of the attention away from us so Kun snaps his fingers towards someone behind me. A couple of men come and direct a few of the girls to dance but they all still discretely watch the two of us.

Kun’s eyes meet with mine and he squints. “Have I met you before Princess Jiahn?”

Did he recognize me?

“Perhaps you’ve been to my Empire before?” I suggest to him but he quickly shakes his head.

“I have not.” He purses his lips. “If I’m not wrong you are from the Park Empire correct?”

“Mm.” I hum as he twirls me around.

“Then you should know very well about my outlawing of the color red.” He remarks.

“I don’t get out much.” I reply, which was true. I was confined to the walls of the palace room. I was not allowed off the premises according to my parents. But I hadn’t seen them since my birthday three months ago, since they weren’t banned from here they came here all the time.

He his head to the side. “I don’t appreciate you coming in here and making a mockery of one of the laws I consider closest to my heart.”

“And why is that? Do enlighten me.” My eyes flit over to Doyoung who was watching our every move. He was more than worried I could tell. I only hoped that if I were to get myself into too much trouble that I could get him pardoned. He didn’t deserve to die for something I did. My eyes move back to Kun.

His eyes bore into mine. “Do you truly not know?” He squints. “It’s not that hard to look up on your phone.”

“I don’t have a phone, I’m not allowed one.” I remark quietly. I was basically a prisoner that had some advantages.

His mouth closes into a firm line. “You’re a princess and you don’t have a phone?”

“I’m not exactly the favorite child.” I shrug my shoulders.

He pauses stopping us from moving. “Fine. I’ll enlighten you.” He huffs beginning to move again. “Red is the color that brings me pain and furry. The last person I personally knew in this palace who wore it is no longer here. Anytime I see it I’m reminded of them and what happened.”

I swallow, was that person me? Was he that disgusted with me that even seeing the color red made him angry?

“I see.” I hum my eyes moving to Doyoung again sending him a look that asked to get me out of here. I was getting upset again and I don’t know what I’ll do if he pushes me any further. Doyoung starts on his path towards us as Kun twirls me once more. “But red is only a color. It doesn’t hold anything against you, plus it’s beautiful.” I say quietly.

Kun sighs. “This is why you will never be my Queen.”

I pull back from him with a shrug. “Even if I didn’t wear this red dress you wouldn’t of picked me anyways. In a few months I’m sure my Unc-Father,” I quickly correct myself in order to not be caught. “Will have me married off to some creepy old man as collateral for something he’s messed up so he wouldn’t let me marry yet anyways.”

Kun looks at me with what looks to almost be a sorrow.

Doyoung clears his throat stopping our conversation. “Um excuse me Your Majesty.” Kun glances at him. “I have a message for the Princess that she must hear, I will return her to you momentarily.”

Kun gestures for him to go ahead. “But we aren’t done talking about how you disrespected me with your ignorance to my law.”

I nod and let Doyoung take me by the arm. Once we are back upstairs we are quick to rush to find our car. If we were gone for too long Kun would surely find out. And I doubt he would make the trek to follow after us since the Park Empire was a good distance away.

 

-

 

The next morning I’m awakened by my maid Joy. She hands me a white silk robe once I’m up and out of bed to cover my red night gown. I step out onto my balcony once she’s gone. My eyes finding a black car pulling up in front of the palace. My eyes double in size at seeing Kun step out of the car.

Instantly one of the palace guards comes up to him. “Hello may I help you?” I bend down quickly to hide from view but also so I can hear better.

“I am Qian Kun the King of the Qian Empire, I am here to see Princess Jiahn.” He speaks slowly.

The guard quickly doubles over in order to bow towards him. “I-I’m sorry for being so ignorant to your identity, your majesty.” The guard speaks. “I will quickly go let the princess know, please do come in to stand in the foyer while I do so.”

.

I quickly run back into my room swinging my door open looking for Doyoung but he wasn’t there. I’m so screwed. I quickly shut the door and pace back and forth in my room. He’s going to see Jiahn and realize she’s not me.

I really will be dead then. If he realizes I’m here somewhere anyways.

A knock sounds on my door. “Are you modest?” Doyoung’s voice comes through the door.

“Screw modesty get in here Doyoung.” I shriek. I was okay with being killed last night if the chance arose but today was a new day, I had plans to escape this place and go elsewhere maybe try and drag Doyoung along if he’d come.

Doyoung steps inside the room noticing I’m still in my night gown. “You are not in the appropriate attire for me to come in.” He sighs getting ready to step out.

“Kun is here.” I say quickly and Doyoung pauses whipping his head up looking me in the eyes.

“What?”

“Hey!” Kun’s voice comes from behind Doyoung and he stiffens. He must’ve seen him and followed him. .

“He can’t see my face Doyoung, he’ll know.” I urge him to shut the door.

“What-I mean yes Your Majesty?” Doyoung replies once the door is shut. I breath in and out trying to calm my beating heart in my chest.

“Is she in there?” Kun replies.

“She is not modest right now. You can’t go in.” Doyoung quickly replies nervousness dripping off his tongue.

God we were s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter