Intuition, a Sense

Do You Trust Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon should have been a fool for thinking her friendship with Yena would be restored after that night. She should have known that when Yena said she couldn't celebrate with them, despite Chaewon's life having been in danger earlier that day and her obvious need of a friend at her side. Still, what truly made her a fool was the action of waiting.

That night, Yena had told her to wait for her. Without knowing what the girl was talking about, and without asking any questions, Chaewon agreed. Was she that desperate to rescue what remained of their dwindling friendship? Perhaps she was. So, why did she still feel guilt every time she passed by Yena in the hall and saw the older's under circles contrasting the smile she sent in her direction?

Chaewon knew why. It was because, despite how pained Yena looked that night, stripping herself bare for the younger to understand her distance, Chaewon didn't question. She didn't ask her what was wrong, what burden the older girl carried that weighed down on her back so much to the point where she lost her unwavering smile. She didn't push the older to tell her anything, she didn't let her know she could confide in her for anything.

And it was weird, because as she thought about it, Chaewon realized how much she confided in Yena. She was bare and vulnerable to the older. Since they were in high school, it was always her, Yena, to whom the younger would tell everything to. Whether it was a complaint about Eunbi being too frugal with their living expenses, or a cry out for help when she was insecure about her internship, Yena was always the one to hear it all. Even when she ranted about Spider-Man...

And Yena hated Spider-Man? There were times when Yena had defended Spider-Man before, but she was usually quiet about him. Especially after Chaewon got her internship and most of everything in her life became about him. How had she not noticed her silence before? It wasn't just once, or twice, it was almost every single day for a whole year already. And to think, that whole time Yena didn't say anything—it was because she didn't approve, because she was scared for Chaewon.

And what did Chaewon do? Just talk about Spider-Man even more, not once taking notice of how the older's grip on her pen would tighten, or how her typing would momentarily stop before she resumed whatever it was she was working on.

Thinking about it now, did Yena ever confide in Chaewon like the younger did to the older? Not really, no. And Chaewon never gave it much thought, always assuming the girl was too happy to have any real problems of her own. But maybe that was not the case, and Chaewon was just self-centered, always going on about herself and her pretentious struggles of not being noticed by the notorious vigilante whom the nation was obsessed with, while Yena could have been having some real struggles, carrying whatever burden she had.

Putting it like that, Chaewon felt awful. The guilt was strong with that one.

Was it guilt?

Chaewon assumed so, because every time she passed by Yena while walking down the school's corridor, her gut would clench and her heart would pound so loud she could feel it pulsing through her veins. Especially thinking about that heavy gaze Yena had given her that day. If that wasn't guilt, she didn't know what it was.

Really, Chaewon could have just been overthinking everything. It could have all been something very insignificant that would not affect their friendship at all in the long run, so why was she still feeling this way?

Whatever it was, it was driving her mad and that Tuesday morning, a week and a half after their last real conversation, Chaewon walked up to Yena after class, a glint of determination in her eyes. She clutched her textbooks tight and with an exhale, proposed to the older a meeting at the library.

Yena's eyebrows raised in shock before her face settled into a soft smile. "We haven't hung out causally like that in a while."

Chaewon smiled back, and she thought, damn, Yena's smile truly was contagious in size, shape, and form.

Without too many words spoken, the two girls began to head to the library, giggling among themselves about insignificant nothings. It was nice and Chaewon almost wondered why it stopped. Almost, only because she didn't want to think too much only to end up ruining the moment. She didn't know why, but lately, around Yena, she felt like she was walking on thin ice. Like every second spent with her was now was worth twice—no, thrice—as much as before, and one wrong move could make her lose that moment. It was weird, because the two were at such a comfortable place before whatever tragedy it was that made their friendship fall apart, and now they were back to square one.

No, not square one. It couldn't be square one, because from the moment she had met Yena her freshman year of high school, she had always been comfortable around her. From the very first second.

Chaewon didn't realize she was smiling until Yena looked up from her laptop, questing eyebrows, asking, "Why are you smiling?"

The younger's eyebrows raised in confusion, and then she realized.

"Oh. I was just thinking about the day we first met."

A grin appeared on Yena's face. "That day was a special one, huh? It's the day your life changed for the better."

Chaewon rolled her eyes, shaking her head softly at the thought. "Shut up and go back to doing your work."

Yena did as told, but not without sending the other a pleased grin. Until not even a minute later when she spoke again, softly this time at the fond memory. "Do you remember what I told you that day? You know, when I reached my hand out to you?"

Chaewon frowned, trying to remember some of the first words the older had told her when they first met. She shook her head lightly, the meeting fading from her mind. "No."

Yena's smile tightened. She sighed and went back to typing, only saying, "Too bad. I suddenly can't remember either."

Chaewon knew it was a lie, the disappointment in Yena's face let her know.

But still, she couldn't remember.

 

 

To say Chaewon and Minjoo were spending a lot of time together lately was an understatement. It wasn't just "a lot" of time, it was all the time. Any moment that the two girls weren't busy with their regular school/work life, they were together. They were inseparable at this point, and the two girls would be lying if they said they wanted it any other way, because they didn't.

Minjoo liked spending time with Chaewon. It helped the strong waves of emotions she would feel over her crush in a very healthy way. There was none of that suffocation that usually came with crushes. There was none of that sad and sappy longing, because time didn't allow for it. They were always together. Even when they were apart they would text until the next time they saw each other, which was never too far away.

And Chaewon, well she felt almost the same. Almost, in the sense that she wasn't sure if she had a crush on Minjoo. She had thought about it, and she wouldn't mind if she did. It wasn't such a bad thing, because they might as well be dating at that point. There wouldn't be much difference anyway. But she was still confused, and she could not deny that the thought was only satisfying enough. Was that how crushes were supposed to work? To only be enough? Chaewon hoped she wasn't just settling. But could someone as stunning and kind and caring as Minjoo be called settling? If that was settling, what the hell would be not settling?

The two got along significantly well, and Chaewon didn't usually feel so well-matched with someone. Their personalities were so similar, from the way they thought, to the way they acted. And it was nice. Comforting, even. So with that in mind, maybe Chaewon did like Minjoo. And it wouldn't be so bad if she did.

"Okay, but maybe we should find Eunbi someone so she can stop pestering us every time I come over," Minjoo said that afternoon that the two of them sat together on the floor of Chaewon's living room, after the older girl had come in to ask them if they wanted to get manicures with her. "It's kinda sad seeing her be so single."

Chaewon snorted, tossing her head back at the younger's words. "Eunbi has high standards. And by high standards, I mean a pretty girl who won't get in the way of her work, but can still stick around to comfort her when she's stressed."

"Your sister is truly ambitious," Minjoo responded, looking up at Chaewon with a grin on her face, "in that way, you two are similar."

Chaewon looked back at Minjoo, an amused grin on her face. "Oh really? Is there something wrong with being ambitious?"

"No," Minjoo smiled, less teasing this time. "It is one of my favorite qualities about you."

Chaewon didn't know what made her chest tighten more. The words Minjoo said, or the way she looked at her when she said them.

Perhaps, this was flirting. Right? Chaewon had never dated before, and the only person she had liked before was Minjoo, when they were young and things like flirting weren't in their dictionaries yet. So, to summarize, she was unexperienced in this field. But, if by any chance, this was flirting, how should she react? Shrug it off and act like she didn't notice, or take it as an opportunity to flirt back?

Chaewon figured she must have been silent for too long, because by the time she finally made her decision, Minjoo was already moving on to the next topic as to avoid any further awkwardness.

"So, you know the girls Yujin and Wonyoung? My friends from school."

Chaewon nodded.

"Would you like to meet them? They keep pestering me over it, saying they want to meet the people I hang out with outside of school."

There was something about Minjoo's look when she said it that made Chaewon feel something. Perhaps it was the way she looked up with this soft gaze in her direction before quickly looking away as if she was suddenly bashful. Or maybe it was how hesitant she sounded about the offer. But why would Minjoo act this way over presenting a friend to some other friends?

"Sure, I would like to meet them," Chaewon responded as she placed down the paper crane she had finally finished folding. "Just tell me when so I can put it in my planner."

Minjoo snorted. "You keep a planner?"

"Of course I do, doesn't everyone?"

"Only nerds."

Chaewon's jaw dropped. "Seriously? I am not a nerd. I'll have you know, I'm just a very smart and busy person who likes to stay organized."

Minjoo snorted once again. "Okay, whatever you say."

A smile ghosted over Chaewon's lips as she began to fold up her new paper crane.

This was nice.

Whatever it was that this was.

 

 

Everything had changed since that one Friday, Chaewon was quite aware. Too aware.

From the friendship bracelets with Minjoo and the questioning feelings for her, to the newly found vulnerable Yena; Everything really was different. But there was one thing in particular that was, maybe, a little too different. And that was the newly found infatuation that Chaewon had for the questionable hero who came to her rescue during her most desperate time of need.

Chaewon wanted to deny it was infatuation, really, but when she found herself lurking around the park one night, scanning the area for any possible sightings of her saviour, she really didn't have anything else to call it. Because it was true, Chaewon was infatuated with her rescuer, and she wanted to meet him again. But how to meet someone who only showed up in times of crisis?

The girl wasn't stupid, and she would not purposefully endanger herself just to possibly see the hero that she may be infatuated with, especially after the scare she got two weeks ago. But there she was, at the park, this late hour of the night, hoping to see him, even if just a glimpse. Well, she wanted more than just a glimpse. She wanted to talk to him, of course.

Sad thing was, this wasn't her first time showing up at the park after that incident. She had already lost track of how many times she found herself aimlessly walking down to that park at night since that one day.

Chaewon wondered if it was even reasonable to choose that park in particular. But then again, she did put a lot of thought into it. For starters, the park was at the center of the city, near the places where Spider-Man was often reported to be seen around. If he so happened to be swinging around late at night, looking for some crime to stop, that was where Chaewon would be able to 'accidentally' run into him. Also, the park was much safer than a too empty alleyway. It was in plain sight, so if anyone tried anything with her, she could just shout very loudly and run down to the busy streets on either side of the park.

But Spider-Man was awfully quiet these days and Chaewon had to wonder if it had anything to do with the rising crime activity—the rising crime that was targeted at the vigilante, to be specific. Almost every day, she would hear or see something on the news about the threats being made against the hero coming from gangs. There was a lot of gang activity lately—another reason for Chaewon to not be there at that time of the day—and the crime rate had significantly increased. People argued it was Spider-Man's fault, because the gang members were trying to taunt him and lead him to them so that they could beat him to a pulp and defeat the crime-fighter once and for all. But Chaewon didn't see it that way.

Was it really Spider-Man's fault if all he wanted to do was fight crime to make the city a safer place for the regular civilians such as herself? Okay, that's how she knew she truly was infatuated, because just three weeks ago she would have argued otherwise and would not have hesitated to put the blame on the hero. Similarly to the way her dear friends, Hyewon and Chaeyeon, saw the situation. Still, Chaewon wished people didn't place blame on him. He was doing the best he could, and she was certain it couldn't be easy. She could not even begin to imagine what a huge burden the weight of all that responsibility could be. That made her think of Minjoo.

Chaewon thought back to that day when Minjoo defended Spider-Man, saying everyone should leave him alone because he only tried his best. She was nice, yeah, definitely nice. What a kind and empathetic soul she had. But Chaewon still had to wonder why Minjoo always defended the hero and—why did she always act so weird when it came to him? Sure, Chaewon was now doing the same, but it was merely her new-found infatuation. What was Minjoo's excuse?

"You'd think, after almost getting kidnaped, you would be more cautious of where you go to alone at night, but maybe you're just dumb."

The voice sent shivers down Chaewon's spine and she could feel her heart do that thud thing. She slowly looked up from her feet, her gaze drifting to the side where the hero was standing, crossing his arms and staring down at her with a shake of his head. Her heart did a thing again.

Damn, that infatuation truly was strong.

"Well hello to you too, friendly neighborhood Spider-Man," Chaewon said quite sarcastically.

"I don't know who gave me that titl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter