Crashing Waves

Do You Trust Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: TW// there are some mentions of blood near the end of the chapter, and i don't think it's very graphic if at all, but i know someone people may not be comfortable with that, so just in case)

 

 

"Why do you look so flushed?" A voice has Chaewon jumping in her seat that Friday afternoon.

", Minjoo, please warn me next time," Chaewon gasps as a hand goes up to her chest.

"I waved at you when I walked in," Minjoo snorts, teasing look on her face, "So, what has you so flustered today?"

How is Chaewon supposed to explain this one?

"I-I'm not flustered this morning."

Oh that is definitely not convincing, Chaewon grimaces when she hears how awkward and voice her tone is.

Minjoo raises an eyebrow that lets Chaewon know she isn't buying it. "Okay, for the sake of your blushing face, I will let this rest. For now, at least. Anyways, I graduate tonight, anything you would like to tell me before I step into the real world and into adulthood?"

Chaewon stares for a moment and ponders over it before she shakes her head, no, and shrugs. "Nope. I can't think of anything."

"Boo, you ."

"Trust me, nothing really changes. Life kinda just, well, moves on? Don't expect too much change, I suppose is all I can say. You'll be disappointed if you do."

"I suppose I can take that." Minjoo ponders. "Well, am I going to be able to see you up on the stands tonight?"

"Of course. Don't worry, when your name gets called Eunbi, Yena, I, and the others will cheer as loud as we can for you — the other three as well. I joked we should all boo for Yuri, but Yena refused. Shame. Would have been funny."

Minjoo laughs and it is so nice to hear, Chaewon smiles. "You're mean to her."

"Hey, she is basically my twin, I think I have a right. You know people would actually mix us up before?"

Minjoo tilts her head, examining Chaewon's face with a hum, debating the statement of the two looking alike. "I guess I can see it. I don't know, maybe I've just spent too much time looking at your face before to confuse you with anyone else."

Chaewon wants to take it lightly, but she has learned over the past few weeks and knows those words hold deeper meaning. Still, she laughs and brushes it off. This was something that was to be dealt with later. Now, the focus was on Minjoo and her graduation.

"So, the graduation is tonight and the party is tomorrow — yet you are sitting here with me instead of getting ready," Chaewon changes the topic as casually as she can.

Minjoo shrugs. "I like spending time with you. I need a breather with all the chaos right now in my life. Though—" Minjoo looks down at her phone and sighs, "Yujin and Wonyoung are blowing up my phone right now. They want to help me with my outfit and makeup, so I was supposed to meet up with them. I guess I should go or they'll sulk until their own graduation."

Chaewon laughs at the girls, thinking they definitely did seem the type to get upset when not showered with attention. They were cute.

"Alright, go on. If they find out I'm holding you back they might not like me so much anymore. See you tonight?"

Minjoo flashes a grin.

"See you tonight."

 

 

Chaewon took a much longer time getting ready than she would have liked to admit. Doing her makeup, choosing an appropriate outfit for the occasion that still looked cute, doing her hair — who was she trying to impress?

"Chaewon, Yena is here!" Her sister called out to her while she wrapped a piece of hair around the curler. The loud shout startled her and she let her hand slip, finger brushing up against the hot iron.

"," She mumbled, retreating her hand and blowing on it, just as the door to her room opened.

"Did you burn yourself?" Yena's voice rings through her ears and soon, she feels the girls presence right behind her, looking over her shoulder to catch a glimpse of her hand.

Chaewon nods, blowing on her finger. "It's nothing big," She says, to let the girl know she doesn't have to stand so close by her.

Yena snorts and seconds later, Chaewon hears the girl move to the other side of the room, throwing herself onto her bed.

"Who are you trying to impress?"

It sounds teasing, but Chaewon can hear the curious inquiring in her voice.

The last curl slips out of Chaewon's grasp and she sets the curler down. She stands and turns to look at the girl on the bed.

"How do I look?"

Chaewon is finally able to get a good look at the other girl who leans against the headboard of her bed, toying with her phone. She wears a skirt and a nice shirt, much like her own outfit, but her shirt is off the shoulder and her hair is tied back into a low ponytail with her bangs falling down in a manner that is neater than the usual. Maybe Chaewon isn't the only one who put in effort tonight, she thinks. But the thought seems to dangerous to her.

"You're not paying attention to me," Chaewon huffs when Yena continues to type a series of things into her phone, frown etched on her face.

"Sorry, it's just—" Yena glances up, eyes finally catching sight of Chaewon. She pauses and scans the girl and the action brings a flustered flush to Chaewon's face. "Uhm, Yuri is just worried she's going to trip in front of everyone when she goes up to get her degree. You look good."

Chaewon forces a laugh at the comment on Yuri. "Funny. It is something that would happen to her." She doesn't know how to address the second part and opts for, "So, should we get going? I think Eunbi should be ready by now."

Yena chuckles with a shake of her head, a too bright, flashing grin plastered on her face. It's nice, Chaewon allows herself to think for a moment, how Yena smiles like that more often now. "She opened the door for me with a makeup brush in one hand and her face only half caked with foundation. Her hair was also up in rollers."

Chaewon laughs at the image in her head, but soon the atmosphere grows awkward and she doesn't what to do with the situation at hand. She walks over to the bed, feeling rather exposed by just standing, and takes a seat besides Yena.

"I can't believe Yuri is finally graduating," Chaewon says, because she can find no other conversation to make up fast enough, "Nako and Hitomi too."

Yena hums and Chaewon is aware of the strong gaze coming from her. Those deep, watchful eyes that always seem to hold more than what she assumes at first.

"I remember when I first met her some time freshman year. I never thought she and I would become such close friends, then sophomore year rolls in and look at us now. Close friends."

"If I can remember correctly, I don't think you two were very fond of each other at first," Yena replies softly, fond tone in her voice, "Why was that? Were you two fighting over me?"

Chaewon spares her friend a glance, and the other flashes her an overly-cheeky grin. She rolls her eyes.

"If I say yes, you'll let it get to your head."

"Perhaps."

"Whatever."

"You know you love me."

"Perhaps."

"You can't use my own response against me."

"But I just did."

The two girls share a laugh and keep their conversation going until Eunbi comes knocking at the door, telling them to hurry because she is ready as if they had not been waiting for her that entire time. And soon enough, the three girls head off, joking about Eunbi's new girlfriend all the way through.

 

 

Graduation is a success: The girls cheer loudly for their friends, Yuri does not trip, and Eunbi takes plenty of pictures just like a year before, during Chaewon and Chaeyeon's graduation.

The girls all meet up after the ceremony, when Eunbi insists on taking more pictures. A picture of the four graduating girls, one of Sakura with Nako and Hitomi, another one of the same girls but with Chaeyeon, one of Chaewon and Minjoo, one of Yuri and Yena, one of Chaewon with Nako and Hitomi, one of Hyewon with Yuri, one of Minjoo with Wonyoung and Yujin (who Eunbi instantly claims as her own) and so on until they all protest and she finally puts the camera down.

"Alright, alright, I'm just very proud of my girls," Eunbi had said, pretending to wipe away some tears.

The girls separated after that, saying it was late, or that they would celebrate the next day instead, or that they needed to celebrate with their parents. Then there was only Minjoo and Chaewon standing in the parking lot, Eunbi waiting in the car.

"You look good tonight," Chaewon says.

"Wonyoung and Yujin aren't so bad at what they do, I suppose. But you look good too." Minjoo smiles that same smile Chaewon has grown fond of.

"Thanks. I knew Eunbi was going to take plenty of pictures — I had to be prepared."

There is a moment of silence that feels too unbearable for the usual in their friendship and soon, both find themselves speaking at the same time.

"I have to tell you something."

"I have something to say."

Silence falls over them once more, both cautiously waiting for the other to speak first.

Minjoo takes the first step. "What is it?"

Chaewon opens and closes it only seconds later. She opens again. "Tomorrow. I think, I'll tell you then instead."

Minjoo looks reluctant, but nods. "I think, tomorrow I'll tell you as well."

"Okay. Tomorrow, then?"

"Tomorrow?"

 

 

When Chaewon enters her room that night she is not too surprised to find the hero already on her bed, leaning against the headboard with a book in hand.

"You're going through my things now," Chaewon asks, finding the image rather endearing. The hero sets the book down and looks up.

"Boring book. You look good tonight. Though you usually look good, so I don't know if that's much a compliment."

"Are you trying to flirt?"

"I thought that was a common thing between us, no?"

Chaewon an eyebrow, hoping her blush doesn't show in the dark of the room. "I suppose."

"Seriously though, you really do look very pretty tonight. You trying to impress someone?"

Chaewon heads over to her vanity on the other side of the room and begins to remove her jewelry, keeping sight of the hero through the mirror.

"Maybe?"

"Should I be jealous, or is it me?"

"A friend," Chaewon muses, still staring at the hero through the mirror.

The hero sits up and Chaewon can only imagine the look of disbelief on her face.

"Wait, are you serious? Who?"

"I'll tell you soon," Chaewon responds, tying her hair up into a ponytail. She stands and walks over to her drawers, taking out a set of pajamas. "Can you turn so I can change?"

The hero does as told, but does not stop talking. "Okay, so you really aren't messing with me, right?"

"Nope," Chaewon indulges. She's having too much fun with this.

"Are you sure it isn't me?" The hero asks, still facing the wall.

"I already said, I'll tell you soon."

"Okay, but how soon?" In like, five minutes soon, or in-a-month soon?"

"Soon."

"Okay you're just messing with me now."

"It sounds like you're jealous."

"Really, I'm not," The hero scoffs with a voice crack that makes the argument that much less convincing.

"You can turn now," Chaewon says, finished changing.

The hero turns, but does not let go off the subject.

"Okay, but I really am not jealous, so if you're saying this to make me jealous you can stop now, cus' I'm not jealous. Why should I be jealous anyway? I mean, I'm super cool. I'm Spider-Man. How many people do you know who can say that? Just one: Me. So, yeah."

The hero rubs the back of her neck as if just realizing she had let out a nervous rant. Chaewon smiles at the sight.

"I think it is time I take my leave," Spider-Man abruptly says, pushing herself off the bed and walking over to the window.

"Already?" Chaewon asks, feeling the deflation of her heart at the hero's words. She cringes at how whiny and clingy she sounds.

The hero stops and turns to her, taking a glance out the window. "I have a long night ahead of me, my princess, it would be unwise of me to stay too long."

Chaewon lets out a snort at the words of the hero. "Why are you talking like that? My princess?"

The hero shrugs, but lets out her own laugh. "I thought I'd be romantic or something, like in the comics you know? But seriously, I promised my partner I would only make a quick stop before meeting up with her. We really do have a long day ahead of us. We're—" the hero hesitates and Chaewon gets that dreadful feeling once again. "Doesn't matter what we are doing, point is, all of this will end soon and then, I promise, I can tell you—" The hero cuts herself off once more and Chaewon gets another feeling that feels quite contradictory to the other. A tightening sensation on her chest that has her breathing slowing and her heart pounding at an incredibly slower yet stronger beat. A hopeful feeling, perhaps. Maybe deep inside her she knows, there is only one answer to what the hero could say. The promise of soon, I'll tell you who I am. Soon, it will all be revealed. Soon, we can be more than just a girl and her saviour whose identity remains nothing but a guessed anonymity to her. Something more, perhaps, if the world allows it to be so. Soon.

The hero remains perched on the window, but leans down so she is merely centimeters away from Chaewon's face, a web shot out from her palm in the opposite direction to help stabilize herself. She leans in closer and closer, until Chaewon feels the cold and lifeless mask press against her forehead.

"I'll see you tomorrow," The hero so much as whispers, but Chaewon finds it enough. She whispers back a soft goodbye and she no longer cares. She doesn't care if she wounds meek and submissive, she doesn't care if sounds nothing short of a fool in love, she doesn't care if her voice is completely gone by the end of her goodbye. She has a somewhat promise now. It is not a complete promise, she is aware, the hero did not explicitly sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter