Strange

Do You Trust Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It did not take Minjoo long to feel like she fit in. At school, she had made friends that were nice and practically glued on to her from her first day; and outside of school she had Chaewon's friends—some of which she now met during school hours—who she was able to get along with quick and who made her feel like a part of the squad. And Minjoo could not be happier.

Truthfully, she had been devastated when she found out she had to move and leave her best friend years ago. She didn't think it was any secret that she had a small crush on Chaewon back then, and she didn't think it was much of a secret that it was gradually returning with the amount of time she spent with the older. Well, perhaps it was a secret, seeing how the older girl did not seem to notice and none of the other girls said anything about it.

Well, someone did say something.

"You spend so much time with that girl Chaewon, do you like her?" Yujin, a freshman who she had met the first day of school, questioned as she leaned on her desk with her chin resting on her palm.

Minjoo looked down, the slightest smile appearing on her face.

Yujin snorted, leaning back away from the girl and crossing a leg over the other. "See, I knew it. You talk about her all the time, you hang out with her every chance you get, and you practically ooze whipped aura."

"I didn't even say anything." Minjoo protested, though she knew it was true.

A few months ago Minjoo had been the new girl at school and when no one else approached her during lunch—because as she would learn later on, she was apparently too stunning for anyone to talk to—Yujin had no fear and approached her with a goofy grin saying it looked like they were both outcasts in need of friends. And ever since then the two girls clicked perfectly and the tall freshman was able to read Minjoo surprisingly too well.

Yujin shook her head, seeing how the older went quiet once again. "You didn't have to. That goofy grin told me enough."

Minjoo opened to say something, but before she could protest once again, a chair was pulled up besides them and another tall girl slumped down on it, staring at them with a toothy grin.

"Wonyoung, how many times are you going to sneak in before you realize how dumb it is?" Minjoo asked, though her question went unanswered by the junior high student who had a knack for breaking into the high school to hang out with her best friend and the new girl.

"She's obsessed with me," Yujin said with a roll of her eyes, though that comment also went without response.

"Anyway," Wonyoung said, completely dismissing everything the older two said, "what did I miss?"

"Nothing much, just the usual," Yujin said rather disinterested before sending Minjoo a glance, "just this girl ranting about her undeniable love for Chaewon."

"Ooh!" Wonyoung exclaimed as her hands clasped together, a little too invested with the older's love life like any other fourteen-year-old. "When do we get to meet this girl? I'm so tired of only hearing about how beautiful she is. I want to see it myself."

"Never," Minjoo said with a shake of her head, "I don't want you girls to embarrass me in front of her."

"We are not embarrassing." Wonyoung protested with a pout. Yujin nodded firmly.

Minjoo raised an eyebrow and the two girls shrugged before all three of them broke into a fit of laughter, throwing the oldest one back to the day she met the other two.

 

When the older had first arrived at the school everyone avoided her like the plague. Of course, being as disinterested in others as she was, she wouldn't notice until lunch time came around and she stood at the center of the cafeteria, tray in hand and eyes scanning the entire place in search for somewhere to sit. That was when Yujin jumped in.

The freshman had called her out from across the cafeteria yelling, "Hey new girl, Minjoo! Over here!"

When the senior turned around—as did everyone else in the cafeteria—her eyes landed on the younger who was waving both hands proudly as if Minjoo wouldn't be able to notice her any other way, sitting at a far back table by the windows by herself.

Minjoo had been embarrassed, of course, but with no other choice she walked over to the freshman and placed her tray down across from her. Before she hesitantly sat down, her eyes scanned the room one last time to see if everyone was still staring—they were.

Not even seconds later, Wonyoung had appeared out nowhere, placing her tray down with a slam before sitting besides her best friend.

"Hi!" The two girls greeted at the same time.

"I'm Yujin! A freshman!" The older of the pair had introduced herself a little excitedly with a toothy grin.

"And I'm Wonyoung! Last year at the junior high!" The youngest introduced herself, an equally toothy grin on her face.

Minjoo had frowned instantly at her words. Junior high?

As if the two could read her mind, they instantly began to explain the situation to the older.

"See, we've been best friends since we were little so we always stick together," Yujin began excitedly before her face fell when she continued, "which resulted in us not having many friends."

"Yeah, I'm an outcast at the junior high and she's an outcast here," Wonyoung said, her face also falling at the mention of lack of friends. "Therefore, I sneak in here to make her feel less lonely."

Minjoo nodded slowly, not sure what to think of the two girls. But seeing how happy they looked to have another friend, she figured they were harmless.

Until a few seconds later when the security guard appeared and chased Wonyoung around the cafeteria while Yujin yelled, "Run Wonyoung! Run!"

 

Minjoo laughed once again at the memory of their first meeting. The two girls were definitely embarrassing and if she were to ever introduce the two to Chaewon—she would rather not think about it.

Yujin opened to speak once again—most likely to list all the reasons on why the two were not embarrassing—but before she could a loud voice called out to Minjoo and the three girls turned to see Yuri walking up to them with Nako and Hitomi following behind.

"Oh, you two are here too," Yuri said as she glanced at the two younger girls, a hint of disgust on her face. It wasn't like she hated the two girls, it was mostly playing around, but she did find the two slightly annoying in a way that you find your siblings intolerable.

"Yeah, why are you here?" Wonyoung responded with an attitude as she crossed her arms and leaned back, sending an annoyed look to the older.

"You don't even go here." Yuri retorted.

Wonyoung sat up, a much more sheepish look on her face.

"Anyway," Yuri said, turning to face Minjoo, "we're all going out to downtown later for our monthly in-the-city hang-out. I'm sure Chaewon is going to tell you if she has not already, but I just thought I'd let you know. Also, Sakura, Chaeyeon's girlfriend, is back so she'll be there."

Minjoo nodded, sending the girls a smile. Indeed, Chaewon had already told her about the upcoming hang out, but she appreciated the other girls letting her know as well. It truly made her feel even more a part of the squad.

"Oooh, can we join?" Wonyoung asked, eyes lighting up as she leaned in on the desk.

But before anyone could rejected the offer—

"Wonyoung? Is that you?" A voice suddenly interrupted and the girl who had been all bright and excited only seconds earlier was suddenly fear stricken.

"Oh no, gotta run!" Wonyoung yelled as she jumped up and sprinted off with the high school's security guard chasing after her.

Yujin sighed, shaking her head. "One day—one day, she won't get caught."

 

 

To say that Minjoo acted odd every time Spider-Man was even mentioned in the background by some random passerby was an understatement. The first time it happened, back when they were all at their usual hang out and Eunbi came on screen talking about the scandalous vigilante, they had all just shrugged it off. But that Friday afternoon, they were all walking through the streets of Seoul, going from shop to shop and stopping at a tent to buy a quick snack, when the radio that the old lady had been listening to tuned into the news talking about none other than the infamous vigilante: Spider-Man.

"-the police department states that the prisoners of the gang have all escaped and they left a note behind saying 'Spider-Man, we're coming for you'. They are currently working hard on this case patrolling the streets, going all over the city to catch these guys. But the public wants to know how the hero will save himself from this one, and everyone is very worried tha-"

"Why can't they just let him rest," Minjoo spoke up, bringing the attention to herself.

They had all been staring off into a distance while listening in closely and the girl's sudden words snapped them all out of their daze.

Minjoo had a blank look on her face, they saw, but her eyes were trained on the radio and she was staring a little too intensely for the liking of some of them.

"Who?" Yuri asked, standing at the other side of the small and crowded area at the stand. "The bad guys or the public?"

"Everybody," Minjoo answered, eyes flickering away from the radio, "Spider-Man works so hard every day for the people, but the people only use Spider-Man for the clout. Not to forget, these bad guys are ruthless, how could the police be so careless and let them get away like that?"

Some of the girls looked concerned, others looked confused as if trying to understand what the girl was getting at, and when Yuri looked over at Yena while stuffing her face with some noodles, she found that the older girl was looking the most unbothered out of them all, also stuffing and sending her a shrug and a look that said, 'she's not wrong, but oh well.'

"Are you worried about him?" Chaewon asked, seeming a little too concerned for Yena's liking, who just thought this was all too dramatic.

"I suppose," Minjoo spoke, "but he probably won't go out as much now. He might stay in hiding for a while, living under his real identity, until they—those who are out for his blood—get caught again

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter