When the Hero Falls and the Night Wakes

Do You Trust Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo released a sigh for about the fifth time in that single hour and Yuri was another one of those sighs away from losing her mind.

"She's going to be fine," She said, though she didn't like how unsure the words came out. "She has to be," She found herself adding on, silently, more to herself than to Minjoo.

Minjoo stopped pacing, the first time in hours, and glanced at Yena. The girl was pale, looking ill and worse than she had looked that time she got the flu her senior year during finals week. She looked horrible. It was no surprise Minjoo shuddered and turned around once again, continuing her pacing.

Yuri gnawed at her bottom lip. If she didn't stop she would start bleeding—again—but she was worried. She was probably more worried than Minjoo, just better at hiding it. Optimistic.

Though, Yuri would admit, it was worrying that Minjoo was expressing her worry so openly. Usually the girl was the more stable one of the three. Minjoo was not the most confident, Yuri had learned through the small things—like that time Yena was trying to show Minjoo how to fall from a building in style and Yuri had seen the fear that flashed through her eyes, so vivid and strong in that moment—but there was something about the girl that was grounding. Stable. Comforting.

It was no secret that Yena whined a lot, and it was no secret that Yuri could be one for dramatics at times, but Minjoo was still. Again, she was not always confident, but she always took the plunge without much complaint. She did not show fear so easily and when she did, she was able to turn it around and use it as an advantage to push herself further. It was admirable really, and just even more annoying to Yuri. How perfect could a person get?

But the point was, Minjoo had not stopped pacing since last night and Yuri was sure if she had to watch for even ten more minutes she would get sick herself.

It was funny, thinking about it now, how their roles had changed. Last night, when Minjoo had brought Yena to Yuri, bleeding, wounded, and dying in her arms, it had been Yuri who was freaking out. She mumbled a mixture of prayers and curses and cries while Minjoo told her what to do before going off and dealing with the unsettled business of that politician.

When Minjoo had returned, Yuri was in the worst state she had ever been in all her life. She never thought she could get so shaken up, but no one was telling her anything and her mother was not returning from the emergency room. Minjoo had only looked at her once—even with she, herself, looking bruised and beat up, hair disheveled, breathing hard—and she had already begun to comfort Yuri. She told her it would be okay, she said they would deal with Yena's identity later, and she walked up to some of the nearby nurses and doctors to get as much information as she could. The nurses had looked at Minjoo weird—again, her hair was disheveled and her bruises were starting to darken—but if she noticed, she didn't act like it.

Yuri calmed down after that. It was a long night, but eventually Yena was out of the emergency room. Her condition was not the best, but according to her mom, the worst was over. She just needed to wake. If she would ever—Yuri didn't like thinking about it.

But that was when Minjoo began to grow restless. She paced back and forth and glanced at Yena every five minutes before shuddering and returning to her pacing.

"I don't get it, she should be waking soon," Minjoo said, "why isn't she waking?"

"She will," Yuri hardly breathed out, eyes trailing over Yena's features. "She's strong."

Minjoo stopped her pacing yet again, staring down at the girl. She seemed lost in deep thought for a moment and Yuri wondered—what went on in that pretty head of hers? But then Minjoo shook her head, headed for the door, and only said, "I'll be back," before exiting. Not a glance back.

Yuri was left alone in the dark of the room with no company but the slow and steady breathing of Yena to keep her shivering.

 

 

Minjoo was shaken up. She was more than just shaken up, really. As she swung around the city, the flashbacks of the previous night haunted her vision. The vivid images of Yena's lifeless body on the ground. The loud whirring of the sirens and the shouts of the people. The weight of Yena's limp body in her arms. The pain of the punches and the kicks she took afterwards. The bittersweet feeling of the victory after the near-loss of a friend. The blood-stained hands and the realization of the instability that came after. And the tears seeping through her shirt after comforting a shaken-up Yuri, even when she was shaken up too. It was all so fresh on her mind and the feeling all too pounding in her chest.

The job was hard and dangerous, Minjoo had known that when she begged Yena to let her fight along her side. But the realization that the job could bring her so close to death hadn't hit her until the previous night when, well, it had been so close. Yena—she had almost died. She could still die, Minjoo thought, but it was a thought too horrifying that she pushed it out as soon as it crept into her mind.

And Yuri—she had been so shaken up, Minjoo had never thought she could see the girl in a state like that. The way she cried and shook in her arms while Minjoo had to stabilize herself for the sake of the other. It was horrible. Minjoo thought she would rather be on the other end if something like that happened again. To be the one unconscious with no though, no worry, rather than the one worrying with the constant thought of what if?

But if any friend or relative caught her thinking that way she'd be sooner dead, so she pushed that thought out as well.

And there was not much she could think about. Thoughts of the previous night occupied her mind and yet that was the last thing she wanted to think about. But thinking about anything else seemed wrong. So, she found herself on the top of a rooftop, thinking about her friends and family. Wonyoung and Yujin who would be wondering where she disappeared off to the previous night. Her mom and dad who would be wondering why she didn't comeback home that night. Chaewon—oh gosh, she hadn't even thought about the girl since that rejection. That rejection.

It had hurt the previous night, Minjoo would admit. It was a hit to her pride and her feelings were—well, she liked Chaewon. It was pretty straightforward, she had feelings for the girl and she thought maybe they could be something more. But the girl had obviously not thought the same and Minjoo could blame no one but herself for thinking she stood a chance in the first place.

Of course Chaewon liked Yena. It was all in those looks she gave her. Those longing gazes that were so obviously returned. It was ridiculous, really. And Minjoo knew it, from that first day she met Yena. The way Chaewon's eyes lit up when she saw the girl, the way her smile dropped whenever the girl said she had to go. The way Chaewon's eyes always turned to the door when a person walked in, silently hoping that it was Yena, only to find herself disappointed each time, only to still have herself hoping the next time. Minjoo was sure she had figured it out before even Chaewon herself.

She couldn't blame Chaewon for thinking she could have liked Minjoo when she didn't even know she liked Yena instead.

Still, Minjoo had been hurt the previous night. Before everything went to hell and she found herself realizing: There were worse things in life.

Yena was her partner. She was her friend. And to have almost lost her—Minjoo would rather take the loss of a crush any day. And now she just hoped she and Chaewon were still on good terms. She hadn't necessarily left the other girl with much hope for their friendship the previous night. And Minjoo just wanted to know that things would be good between the two, regardless of feelings. She treasured Chaewon dearly as a friend and after almost losing one last night, she did not want to lose another.

Minjoo took out her phone, thumb hovering over the dial button. She probably shouldn't, she thought, but she wanted to. With a sigh, she began to slip her phone back into her pocket, when it began to ring and she whipped it back out only to find herself almost dropping it when she saw Yuri's name.

"What is it?" She asked in a hurried, shaky tone.

"She woke up."

 

 

Chaewon woke up on the couch, sitting up with a gasp escaping and only one though running through her head: Yena.

"Where is she?" She was asking before she could even process what had happened.

Eunbi startled, holding a wet rag in her hands.

Chaewon had fainted, she realized.

It all came back to her in a single breath. The previous night, the way Yena had looked at her in those final moments, the heavy weight in her chest when she fell asleep to the sirens in the distance, and the news reportage in the morning—and the tears began to swell up. A sob escaped her lips and she was sobbing in Eunbi's arms before she knew it.

Eunbi rocked her in her arms, hand running through her hair as quiet shhh's escaped her lips. "I know. I know," She whispered comfortingly.

Chaewon didn't know how she knew, but she would be lying if she said it wasn't comforting in that moment. Eunbi was her older sister and she played the role quite well, but this really did it.

When Chaewon finally calmed down enough to talk she pulled away from Eunbi, tears still running down her face, only to find that her sister's own eyes were red as well, though no tears seemed to fall.

"Do you know—?"

Eunbi shook her head, already knowing what she was going to ask. "The news didn't say what happened to her after," She spoke in a low voice that let her know she was not as stable as she seemed.

Chaewon felt another sob coming up and she forced herself to push through. "I-I need my phone." She could hardly let out a word without having her voice crack and she hated it.

Eunbi nodded and left for her room, coming back with her phone seconds later.

Chaewon stared down at it. There were no missing calls. No missing texts. The vast emptiness she felt had her thinking for a second, if perhaps it was all a trick of her mind. But she shook her head and dialed the one person she knew would have information for sure.

There was a ring, and then another. And no answer came.

Her eyes met Eunbi's and there was a mutual understanding between the two.

Eunbi nodded and stood up, going to her room for a quick change before coming out with phone in hand. "I'll go down and try to figure out what the reporters that were that night saw. I know there'll be reporters that will be trying to figure out what hospital she could be in, and if she isn't in one—" Eunbi stopped, but Chaewon didn't need her to finish. If she wasn't in a hospital with proper care and treatment—there was no way she could have made it.

Chaewon nodded and her sister was off.

The silence that came was unbearable. The loneliness even more so.

Chaewon felt exhausted. Her body felt as if she had just run endlessly for miles. Her head hurt the more she thought—and she could not stop the thoughts that carried on with no regard to her being. Her eyes hurt from all the crying and she was sure a migraine was building up. She could not find it in her body to move, and yet she could not bare sitting, doing nothing but staring aimlessly at the black screen of the television.

It was not until ten minutes later when Chaewon found herself going through news articles on her phone while the news played in the background, trying to gather as much information as she could. It was hard. Watching the events of the previous night unfold before her—it was hard. Yena's body—she could not bear the sight. And yet, she found some sort of comfort in knowing what happened. Chaewon hated leaving things to the imagination—her mind would run wild, slowly killing her from the inside, if she did not find out what happened the previous night.

Chaewon read the comments: They all called Yena brave. Chaewon knew better.

Yena had been impulsive. Foolish.

As Yena, the girl would sometimes act without thinking. But Chaewon knew the girl. As Yena, and as Spider-Man. And she knew Yena would never be so stupid. The girl would not risk not only her life but the lives of others. Yena treasured the people and she treasured her job—she would not act so foolishly knowing she could be walking into a trap or could be endangering others. She was calculating, she was smart, she was cautious.

Something happened the previous night that left Yena without reason, without thought, and without her partner.

Chaewon began to wonder, but she shook any thoughts out of her head before she could even process them. Instead, she thought about what happened next.

Spider-Man's partner had come to the rescue. If it hadn't been for her, Yena—it would all have gone to hell. Not only was she able to get Yena out, but she came back and fought the guys and kept them still long enough for the police to come and arrest the guys. They were able to find the big guy too. Chaewon was not too sure, but she figured Spider-Man and her partner had an even more elaborate plan than what was shown to the public. It was all so strategic and well-calculated and that left her even more sure—Yena had acted stupidly the previous night. And once again, Chaewon's thoughts went back to Spider-Man's partner, who had acted bravely, truly, the previous night. She had not even spoken many words to the police, barely telling them the information they needed before flying off in a hurry.

And that left Chaewon thinking, hoping that Yena had been taken somewhere safe. Somewhere where she could be taken care of.

Again, Chaewon stared down at the contact of the one person she knew could give her information.

She dialed, again, and prayed.

 

 

"—and do you have any idea how worried I was when Minjoo brought your lifeless body to me?! I didn't even know how to act! My hands were bloodied and red by the time I was able to get you help! Minjoo was even worse—oh my gosh, you should have seen her! While you were getting surgery she was off dealing with the mess that you left behind and she could have died! If the police had been just one minute—"

Minjoo pushed herself off the wall she had been leaning against and walked over to the girl who was rambling to no end. She placed a hand on her shoulder and the girl instantly silenced. Minjoo did not miss the way the girl's body shook under her hold, as if her rambling had been all the pent up feelings she'd held in through Yena's sleep and the only way she could let them out without breaking was through .

"I think she gets it," Minjoo whispered. Yuri nodded and stood up, sending a glance to Yena who nodded weakly before heading to the other side of the room to pour herself a cup of tea.

"Thanks," Yena mumbled and Minjoo forced a smile.

It was weird.

"Was it really that bad?" Yena asked.

Minjoo kept the smile on her face, but it felt more and more like a mask the longer she kept it on. She nodded. "It was—" She sighed and wiped the smile off her face. "I will not lie, it was bad. You were bleeding out and Yuri and I had a full discussion on whether or not we should get you medical help. It probably lasted only thirty seconds, but my gosh those thirty seconds felt so crucial. You were just bleeding out and—"

Yena shook her head. "No," She said and Minjoo stopped in confusion, "I mean, was it hard—for you? Fighting all those guys and keeping them at bay until the police showed up, was it hard for you?"

Minjoo opened , but no words came out. She remained staring at the girl before, finally, a laugh of disbelief came out. "I mean, yeah, but you got shot—"

The girl closed her eyes and shook her head. "I was so stupid. I put people in danger. I put you in danger."

Again, Minjoo was at a loss for words. "Yena, do you realize that you—"

Yena's eyes opened and the sincerity in her gaze was enough to shut Minjoo up once again. "I know, Minjoo. I know."

Silence passed over them and Minjoo felt more and more awkward by the second. She felt out of place. She felt like she was having an out of body experience and the only thought that she was able to process in that moment was, what the hell am I doing here?!

"So, tell me team, what are we facing now?"

And Yena was able to bring both Minjoo and Yuri (and herself, really) back in that moment with a single question.

"Oh ," Minjoo let out as she stood up and began to pace around the room. Yuri came forward, still holding her cup of tea in hand. "The news reporters are filling up the hospitals right now trying to figure out which one you are currently in. The hospitals aren't letting them past the lobbies, but you know how news reporters are, it's only a matter of minutes before one of them starts climbing in through a window and walking around in a stolen nurse outfit."

Yuri nodded with a sigh. "I ran into one earlier in the lobby. It's not good. I'm sure they've figured out you're here. The hospital has confidentiality rules, but if someone gets paid well—"

Yena's hands went up to her face. ". I need to get out of here."

"No no no no, my mom will kill me and then you if you leave," Yuri protested. "And then I'll come back alive and kill you myself, oh my gosh Yena do you realize that you need to rest?"

"I can rest at home."

"I think the not."

"Yuri—"

"Yena—"

Minjoo opened to intervene, but the vibrating of her phone stopped her from saying anything. She took her phone out and felt her breath hitch when she saw the contact. Her eyes went up and instantly locked with Yena's who seemed to have sensed something because she was no longer arguing with Yuri and had this look in her eyes that soon dropped to the buzzing phone in Minjoo's hand.

Minjoo lifted the phone up as her thumb swiped and soon she was hearing a breathy shake of, "Minjoo!"

"Hey," She replied, wincing at how shaky her own voice sounded, "Chaewon."

There was a shared look between Minjoo and Yena, and then a shake of a head from the other girl. Minjoo nodded, understandingly, though she did not agree, and was stepping out of the room, heading for the rooftop of the hospital.

"I'm sorry," Were the first words that Chaewon spoke. Minjoo did not need to ask what she was sorry for, she instantly knew, thought at this point she was not sure if an apology really mattered.

"Thank you," Was next. Again, Minjoo did not need to ask what she was thankful for. Something in her knew.

Which could only mean one thing. If Chaewon knew, then one question was to follow.

"Is she—?"

Minjoo stared out at the city. Her eyes closed. "Chaewon—"

"Please," It sounded so desperate, so needy, as if the girl were on the verge of breaking. Fragile.

Minjoo thought about the look she and Yena shared. She thought about the way the girl had looked down at her phone with that heavy gaze. She thought about the way she had shook her head, telling her no without having to say a thing.

But she also thought about the tone in Chaewon's voice. She thought about the helplessness and the shakiness and the fragility she must be in. And the silent, but strong, please.

"Don't worry."

A sigh of relief came from the other end and something told Minjoo that it was enough. Chaewon didn't need to know more. She wanted to know more, but perhaps she understood.

Minjoo wasn't sure she understood Yena all too much. And hearing what an effect two simple words had on Chaewon, she wasn't too sure if she understood her either, anymore. But Yena and Chaewon understood each other. That much was clear.

 

 

Yena sighed deeply and Yuri seemed to notice the shift in mood because she excused herself not even a minute later, leaving the girl to finally clear her thoughts in peace. She hadn't been able to think properly since she had woken, but the only clear thought that rang through her mind was Chaewon. Just that, nothing more, nothing less.

She almost laughed at herself. She was such a fool, the last thing she thought of as she went down after being shot was Chaewon, and the first thing she thought of as soon as she woke up after a near-death sleep was Chaewon. Stupid, foolish, idiot.

Minjoo had succeeded, no thanks to Yena, and she could not even dare to imagine what would have happened if the girl was of lesser competence. Death. Minjoo's and her own.

Or, Minjoo could have just left her there to die and saved her own skin. But Yena knew the girl would never betray her like that and it did not help the guilt building up at the pit of her stomach.

She was being hard on herself, Yena knew, but she would not listen unless the words were coming out of someone's mouth as a reassurance. And even then, nothing would ever stop the weight of the guilt for that night which she would carry for the rest of her life. She had been stupid and perhaps it would serve her as a reminder the next time she tried to act impulsively.

Yena wondered what Minjoo and Chaewon talked about. Why Chaewon had felt the need to call Minjoo so early in the day, perhaps right after having woken up. The look Minjoo had held when she stared down at the contact name and the way her breath had hitched. Flashes of the previous night came back to Yena and she remembered the wretched feeling she had felt when Chaewon and Minjoo had walked up the stairs and the former had locked eyes with her for the last time that night. She did not like thinking about it, not when it did nothing but worsen her headache, but there was a thought that kept plaguing her mind.

It was rather unfortunate—and just her luck, she thought with a bitter laugh—that the person she would want to see most in a time like this was the person she had to stay away fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter