The Calm Before the Storm

Do You Trust Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon couldn't remember the day she first met Yena as vividly as she wished she could which made her feel guilty because she was sure the other could remember it as if it were just yesterday.

But if Chaewon sat down and thought about it, really thought about it, she could remember most of the events of that day. It was her first year without Minjoo at her side, and her first year of high school. The school was big and unfamiliar and she didn't have any friends who knew the school enough to show her around. She had gotten lost walking to either the gym, or the theater, it was far long ago and she could hardly remember, and the bell had rung long ago and she was sure she was holding the map upside down. There was no sign of any students except for maybe one or two heading to the opposite building of where she was heading and she was just about ready to throw her map and take a seat. Then, out of nowhere, she felt another body press up against her own and felt herself falling when an arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her up instantly, pressing her against the person once again.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry!" A voice yelled and the person almost immediately let Chaewon go, stepping back away from her, allowing Chaewon to finally lay eyes upon the owner of the voice and body.

That was the moment she met Yena.

"I didn't mean to accidentally run into you—well, I guess that's the meaning of accidentally, but then again some people do that kind of stuff and say 'accident' without it really being an accident and—"

"How did you catch me so fast?"

"What? Oh, I just have fast reflexes, I guess?" The girl shrugged, scratching the back of her neck as she finally scanned Chaewon's face fully. "Are you lost?"

Chaewon nodded.

"Well, I can show you to your class if you want. Can I see your schedule?"

Without much thought, Chaewon had pulled out her schedule and handed it over to the girl. Yena smiled when she scanned the sheet of paper and handed it back to her.

"Lucky for you, that's the class I'm heading to now, so I can—"

"Yena!"

A voice called out and the other girl's eyes went wide instantly. The two girls turned around, and from the direction that the girl—Yena—had come from was one of the coaches running down the filed, heading their way.

"Quick, come with me," Yena said as she turned to Chaewon and extended a hand out for her to hold, but the latter was quick to pull away. "Do you trust me?"

"We just met, why would I trust you?" Chaewon asked and the other frowned, thinking about it for a moment.

"Wait, you're right, uh, okay, that makes sense, so-"

Chaewon smiled, finding the conflicted look on the girl's face rather amusing. She then took the girls hand to shut her up and found that it worked when she stopped her rambling and smiled. And then they ran off and went through a 'super secret shortcut' that no one besides Yena knew—Chaewon was sure that wasn't true, but she played along anyway—and they finally reached their class, though rather late. And then the rest was history.

Yeah, thinking about it now, that truly was quite the meeting.

 

"What's up? Thinking about me?" Yena asked, leaning in and pressing her body up against her, when she noticed how off her friend looked.

Chaewon rolled her eyes at the teasing grin on her friends face and shoved her off. "You wish," She lied just because she knew how Yena would act if she admitted she was thinking about her.

"Well, I'm done with your sister's profile, now all that's left are the offers," Yena spoke, turning her attention back to the laptop in front of them. "But your sister is pretty hot when she's not yelling at people for breathing, so it shouldn't take long."

Chaewon snorted and elbowed her friend who did the same in return. And then they waited. And just as Yena had predicted, it didn't take long for quite a few offers to come in and, while most of them weren't very pleasing, there were a few decent ones here and there.

"Remember, Eunbi likes cute girls who will support her in every thing she does, especially her work," Chaewon spoke, leaning in so she could get a good look at the screen.

"Please, that's all she used to say when we were in high school, remember?"

"You're right, and for that, she was a pain."

The two girls laughed and continued their search for a girlfriend for Eunbi, until they heard the door unlock and the older girl walked in to find the giggling girls huddled together on the couch.

"I don't think I missed this," Eunbi grumbled and looked at the two with a deadpan expression etched on her face.

The two girls only laughed harder, huddling closer over the laptop which they both looked at. Deciding to ignore the two, because together they could never be up to any good, Eunbi took out her wine and sat on the other couch, ready to put on one of her dramas.

Chaewon and Yena shared a sneaky glance, one that went noticed but unmentioned by the older girl.

Yeah, it was just like old times.

 

 

There was a wave, a rush of excitement, that overcame Chaewon. She was excited and she could feel the adrenaline pulsing through her veins. She had to wonder, when was the last time she had felt like this? With Spider-Man, the answer came fast and there was a feeling, a clench in her chest. Yeah, Spider-Man allowed her to feel this way. But that was different, Spider-Man was Spider-Man—a hero who she shared a secret with. This was her everyday life and the only person she felt this way with in her day to day life was—Yena.

Before there was Yena, there was no sort of corruption in her life. Her only close friend had been Minjoo and, for as long as she could remember, Eunbi was always busy. It wasn't like she and Minjoo never did crazy things together, they were a good pair of friends and they had their moments when they were younger like most kids at the age, but with Yena it was different. From the first moment she met the girl there was chaos; Chaewon had never run away from a teacher like that first day. At first, Chaewon found it kind of frustrating and irritating—how could someone be so careless and chaotic and disorderdly? It was an odd transition, going from being best friends with Minjoo to being close friends with Yena, but Chaewon ended up liking it. There was someone new in her life that she hadn't known she'd needed before—a new thrill.

Chaewon didn't realize how much she'd missed that until she and Yena were sitting at the far back of the restaurant, wearing caps and hoodies and sunglasses at the end of spring, near the beginning of summer, waiting for Eunbi's blind date. There was joy, excitement, and thrill. Yeah, Chaewon had missed it—she hadn't realized it before because Spider-Man really filled that void in her life. When Yena and her fought, there was Spider-Man to fill in the missing presence, and maybe that was why she liked the hero so much. Because they brought something to her that she hadn't realized she was missing. But now she had Yena again—at least until the older was running off once again without some sort of explanation—and she wanted to make the moment last.

"We have about three minutes before they get here," Yena said, turning around in her seat to face Chaewon once again after glancing back for the fifth time since they'd gotten there, "I'm kind of nervous."

Chaewon frowned, an amused smile tugging at her lips. "Why?"

"Because Eunbi is mad scary!" Yena exclaimed as if it were such an obvious answer. "If this doesn't go well she's going to be pissed."

Chaewon smiled, finding the look on Yena's face rather endearing. "Well, then let's hope this girl is as cute as her profile suggests."

"Remember that time we tried setting Eunbi up with a guy?" Yena asked, almost laughing out loud at the memory.

Chaewon rolled eyes her eyes, though another smile still made its way onto her face. "Can't believe we thought she was straight for a while."

Yena smiled fondly as her eyes trailed down to her hands and a new wave of silence washed over them. Chaewon recognized the atmosphere, she'd grown accustomed to it over the past few months—when Yena became distant and felt like she needed to explain herself, this was the atmosphere that overtook them.  She didn't like it. She didn't like this new feeling between them that wasn't there before. She didn't like how far Yena felt even when she sat right across from her. And she didn't like how the older girl was constantly apologizing. And feeling like the other was about to do just that, Chaewon felt tempted to reach over the table and hold the other's hand in her own, to cut her off before she could say something that would ruin the moment, to look her in the eye and smile at her with a knowing look before moving on to another lighthearted topic. But even thinking about doing that felt weird to her in a way that it wouldn't have before; As if she didn't know if that was okay between them anymore. And Chaewon wondered, what changed?

Chaewon was thankful when a ding interrupted the silence and the two turned to find Eunbi's blind date walking in. The two girls exchanged a look before they went back to watching the girl, who they knew as Kei from her profile, take a seat by the window on the other side, not far from sight. And it wasn't even one minute later that Eunbi was walking in to meet with Chaewon—or so she believed, from the text which her sister had sent earlier—and was glancing around for the girl. Chaewon and Yena ducked instantly, sliding against the wall as far as they could to be hidden from sight.

"Oh, are you Eunbi?" They heard a voice ask, which they presumed to belong to the blind date. They exchanged another look before peeking over, only to find a very confused Eunbi staring at the other girl. But before she had any chance to ask, the girl, Kei, was already talking again, sounding rather bright and cheery. "I was really worried you would be some fake—like a guy—you know, it's always such a risk with online dating. And you looked so pretty in your profile picture I really thought I was being catfished by some erted guy—it's happened before, you know—"

And at the mention of online dating, Eunbi was look around once again—this time for a specific pair—and the two girls were sliding up against the wall once again, giggling mess and all. But when they peeked once again, Eunbi was slowly taking a seat across from her date and, by the look on her face, the two girls could tell she was slowly giving into it.

"—so my friends are always telling me to stop online dating for this reason, but girls are just so pretty and I really want a girlfriend and isn't the feeling of being in love so wonderful and—oh no, have I talked too much?"

Yena and Chaewon smiled when they saw Eunbi shake her head, knowing she was a goner. Yeah, they picked a good one.

 

 

"You two!"

", she's going to kill us!" Yena yelled and wasted no time in taking hold of Chaewon's hand and pulled her along with her. The two girls shouted and screamed and laughed as Eunbi chased behind them, yelling something about the two being too nosy for their own good. And it wasn't until they reached a park, several streets away, when they could no longer hear the older girl yelling at them, that they finally stopped to catch their breath. Except they didn't really get to catch their breath, because they were both laughing so loud into each others shoulders that they found a hard time calming down for a few minutes.

"She's definitely going to kill me when I get home," Chaewon said in between gasps, leaning against the tree behind her, hand going up to her chest in a useless attempt to calm her labored breathing and rapid heart rate. She looked over at Yena who was just as disheveled as her, hair out of place, cheeks burning red, and grin wide as can be. Chaewon smiled at the sight. It reminded her of the first day they met, and the image came to her so vividly, that day they ran away together. That first day they met.

"Don't worry, she'll kill me worse than you," Yena responded, still sounding rather out of breath, cheeks still flushing.

"Then we can be dead together, a tragical romance," Chaewon said with a giggle and Yena only smiled back softly.

There was a moment of silence where the two just stared at each other—it wasn't uncomfortable like the other moments they'd had lately, and it wasn't dreading, as if the good time they managed to have was about to be ruined by the words of one or the other. It wasn't necessarily comfortable either, they were both too aware for it to be comfortable, but that wasn't so bad, Chaewon found. They were basking in the moment, breathing it in, savoring it.

And finally, Chaewon spoke up, as lightly as she could because she still had that fear inside of her, the fear of scaring Yena off, "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"I missed this, Chaewon," Yena finally spoke and something in her look changed and her smile faltered. She was hesitant.

Chaewon wanted to say that she did too. She wanted to reassure the other, to let her know things could continue as was—if it was before, Chaewon figured she could do just so, but things had changed and there was something there now that wasn't there before. She wished she could stop thinking. She never had to think around Yena before.

Deciding that her thoughts would not allow her to say anything else, she settled for doing something that was always left to Yena—talk before she could think.

"Then let's continue this way."

Yena's eyes flickered up and Chaewon hadn't realized the other had been avoiding her gaze until their eyes lock and she felt that ache once again. The guilt? Was that it?

The silence that came this time was actually uncomfortable and the eye-contact only made it more unbearable.

And then Yena took a step forward, and then another—which were really all the steps she could take with Chaewon being backed up against the tree behind her.

"Chaewon—" It sounded so breathy yet heavy, in the same way that she said her name all the time lately—or had she said it the same way before? Chaewon had thought about it once before, wondered if this was something new or something she hadn't noticed until recently that her blissful ignorance had vanished. There wasn't much time to ponder the idea, because before either of them could think or even breathe, Yena's hand went up to smack an incoming ball before it could hit Chaewon's face, just as someone in the distance yelled, "Incoming!"

And Chaewon gasped.

The ball bounced off of Yena's hand and thudded onto the floor, rolling away from them and then down the small hill, making its way back to its owner. But Chaewon was too distracted with the look of panic that flashed through Yena's eyes and lingered there as the other stared at her—not once had Yena's gaze faltered, not even to glance at the incoming ball.

"Yena—" Chaewon started, but what was she going to say? She felt dizzy, intoxicated, lightheaded—

"I-I think I have to go help graduation with Yuri things—uh, no—help Yuri with graduation things," Yena said and Chaewon could so much as nod before the older girl was already running off, almost tripping over her own feet.

Chaewon slid down against the tree, hardly able to breathe.

 

 

"You look rather exasperated today," Spider-Man said when Chaewon stumbled upon the hero who was dangling by a web upside down, waiting for her near her apartment that night.

Chaewon was agape in surprise. For a moment her fight of flight response was ready to kick in when she noticed it was only the hero who she had a crush on and seemed to be the center of all of her problems as of late.

"I wasn't expecting you today," Chaewon said, taken back by her own frigid tone. Spider-Man also seemed rather taken back by the hostility, because the hero almost dropped from the web they were holding on to before successfully balancing themselves once more.

Chaewon cleared  and wondered what the hell was making her act this way with the one person who she felt so comfortable around lately. But there was this aching feeling in her chest that made her want to shut down emotionally. Perhaps she needed rest.

"I thought I'd swing by," Spider-Man said, soft and cautious, unsure with the tone which Chaewon had received the hero by that night. "I'm not as busy these days..."

Chaewon sighed, hands going up to her face as she though; She was being weird.

"Is something wrong?" Spider-Man spoke up softly, as if not to scare her away. Chaewon sure felt like a fool with the way her chest clenched and thuded and ached and did all these things she could not understand, driving her further into this suffocating hole that was filled with nothing but all the conflicting feelings and emotions she'd been feeling the past few months.

"No, I think I just need to wind down," Chaewon said, forcing herself to look at the hero.

The hero hummed, taking a quick glance around. They turned back to her and asked, "Do you want to look at the city lights?"

Chaewon cracked a smile as she examined the hand which the hero extended for her to take. "You know, the last time we did this I was pretty scared."

Spider-Man scoffed. "I thought you said you trusted me? Then again, when you think about it, I'm a complete stranger so it makes sense."

There was a hitch, a moment where things seem to slow down and Chaewon was aware of the moment she was currently in. Chaewon's chest ached and her nails dug into her palms. But she pushed it all down and reached out for the hand, a tinge of a smile.

Chaewon's hand was barely in Spider-Man's grasp before the hero was pulling her close, tightening their grip, before swinging off into the night sky. Building by building, street by street, the two swung through the city until they reached a rooftop that was different from the last, but just as high up with an equally breathtaking view. Chaewon took a moment to walk over to the ledge, hands tight on the railing, eyes closing as the gentle, warm, spring-almost-summer breeze grazed her face. She took it all in. It felt so calm up there, so distant from the troubles down below—the troubles, the overflowing crumpled pieces of paper, that were her complex feelings. But that lasted only so long before one of the reasons behind her complex feelings spoke up and she was faced with reality all over again.

"So, are you going to tell me what has you so dazed today?" Spider-Man asked, standing behind her on the rooftop.

No, she wanted to answer, but she knew better than to bottle up her feelings.

"I had a pretty good day," She replied, though it wasn't much of an answer. "I helped my sister find a girlfriend."

"About time," Spider-Man said, only to quickly add, "you know, from what you've told me it just sounded like she needed someone."

Chaewon glanced back at the hero, eyes careful and narrowed, lips pressed tightly. The hero shifted uncomfortably under her gaze and she turned back to the city lights. The hero was definitely an awkward person, Chaewon smiled to herself.

"I spent the day with a friend who I haven't spent much time with as of late." Chaewon paused and let herself think back to Yena and the way to the two laughed as they ran away form Eunbi. She smiled fondly. "It was nice. I missed it."

She heard some shuffling and when she turned, the hero was standing next to her.

"The close friend who has felt differently lately?" They asked.

Chaewon fixed on the hero once more and took a step closer; She felt bold under the city lights and spring-almost-summer breeze. She took notice of how the hero's position faltered and she almost smiled to herself, feeling like she had the upper hand. But she remained blank and took another step, and another. The hero wanted to move back, she could tell from the way the hero steadied themselves by holding on tightly to the railing with one hand. She took in the proximity and relished in the warmth she felt—this was different from last time, she noted. The level of intimacy felt nowhere near the way it did the previous night—no one's identity was close to being revealed now, and that feverish want of a kiss was not here this time. But a tingling sensation still ran through her as she searched, gaze trailing over the mask so closely, breath held in tight.

Chaewon wasn't sure what she was searching for—perhaps she wanted to see what kind of effect she had on the hero, or perhaps, there was that feeling deep inside of her that kept pushing up. The feeling of, what if? The itching thought, the craving desire, the instinctual churn in her stomach, and the persistent heart—oh no.

Her own hold on the railing faltered, her foot slipped beneath her, and her she faltered to the side. It wasn't anything big, her ankle twisted beneath her, and it wasn't like she was going to fall—but it was the reaction of the hero that mattered. Spider-man gasped, their arms instinctively wrapped around her in a heartbeat, pulling her close. Chaewon stood frozen for a few seconds in the hero's hold. Her heart thudded strongly and she hoped the other could not hear nor feel it.

"I wasn't going to fall, my foot just slipped," Chaewon said after a few seconds as she took a step back. The hero's grip loosened and lingered before completely vanishing.

"Sorry, it was instinct. My sixth sense."

Chaewon nodded and tu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter