The Return of An Old Friend

Do You Trust Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Spider-Man thinks he's hot when all he does is run around—web around—swinging from building to building like a circus performer. He webs up one guy who stole a purse from a lady and suddenly everyone is all over him as if he has killed Thanos."

Chaewon huffed after her long rant, lightly blowing on her bangs. Her hands were placed firmly on the table and her back remained straight as she stared forward. There was a somewhat glare in her eyes—though her eyes weren't really trained on anything nor anyone. She was angry. She was fuming.

Now, Chaewon wasn't really one to get mad easily. She wasn't one to get mad at all. Sure, she found most things—most people—highly annoying. But she often found herself too little interested to care enough to get mad. But now was different.

Of course, Chaewon didn't last like this long and it was only a few seconds before she found her eyes lowering and her back stretching.

"Who hurt you this time?" Hyewon asked, only mildly interested, in between bites of her bread.

"Spider-Man swung away before she could get any good pictures of him for her article," Chaeyeon said, slightly leaning into the older girl to whisper, "It was quite sad, really."

"Doesn't he like," Yuri said in between munches, "hate you or something? Isn't this the third time he's swung away before you could get any pictures?"

Chaewon rolled her eyes and sighed. "Don't remind me. Eunbi was bragging about how she was able to get pictures of him a few years back which got her the promotion."

"Well, Spider-Man must really hate you then," Hitomi said absentmindedly which earned her a shove from Nako.

"Ignoring that," Chaewon said as she gathered herself and began to look around the table, eyes scanning for a particular person, "Where did Yena go? Wasn't she here before?"

"She left not long after you arrived," Chaeyeon responded with a shrug. "Didn't really say anything."

The younger girls eyes faltered and her shoulders hung low. It was subtle, but her disappointment was there. Still, Chaewon wasn't one to show such emotions and was more comfortable with blatantly complaining as if it were a joke. So she put on a pout and began to do as such.

"I feel like it's been days since I saw Yena, that girl is always running off these days—oh my gosh! Do you think she's dating some boy?"

At those words, Hyewon paused her eating, Chaeyeon put down her phone, Yuri went eye-wide, and Nako and Hitomi stopped whatever they were doing in the corner.

"A. . . Boy?" Yuri asked, exchanging a look with Chaeyeon.

"Think about it," Chaewon said as her eyes looked off into the distance and her chin rested on her fist, "we never see her much these days and when we ask where she's been, she gets all flustered and changes the topic quickly. What else could it be?"

"It could be many different things," Chaeyeon said, picking up her phone once again to continue texting her girlfriend, "but that, my friend, is not it."

Chaewon sighed once again, leaning back against her chair. She looked outside.

It was a bright and sunny day in the city. It was a beautiful weekend, really. The sky was clear and the weather wasn't too hot, nor too cold. It was one of those rare days in the year when time seemed to slow down, somewhere in between class assignments and work duties, and it was so easy to lose yourself in thought, to let your mind wander.

So, Chaewon began to think. She thought about the speech she had to prepare for her public speaking class. She thought about her room which she had forgotten to clean earlier in the week. She thought about the child who stood right outside the window, hand holding on to an ice cream cone, and the falling drops that drizzled down his wrist. And she thought about Spider-Man and his-

Swoosh!

Chaewon's eyes widened and she quickly sat up, arms uncrossing as she began to frantically look around. "Did you girls see that?"

"See what?" Yuri asked, barely glancing up from her phone.

"Spider-Man just swung by the ing window," Chaewon muttered.

"What?" All the girls asked in unison. But there was no answer, for Chaewon was already taking her camera out of her bag and running out of the coffee shop to chase after the city's hero.

 

 

Here was the thing: Usually, whenever Spider-Man would swing around town, webbing up some bad guys, stopping some busses from tipping over the bridge and into the river, or helping an old lady get her cat down from a tree—he would almost always stop by to be interviewed by a couple of people (mostly reporters), and interact with fans.

But Chaewon wasn't sure if she was just always late, or if he truly did hate her, because by the time she would arrive he was always already swinging away. And today was no exception. The difference this time was, however, that he had for sure seen her. She was so sure if it.

She had been running up to the crowd and had pushed her way through just as he finished answering some questions asked by her rival news publisher—and he saw her before he quickly turned around and webbed away.

 

"How was your day?" Eunbi, Chaewon's older sister, asked when she walked into the apartment that afternoon, making the younger slip out of her thoughts for a while before bringing her back.

Chaewon barely glanced up as she tossed her shoes and jacket to the side with drowsy eyes. "Exhausting."

"Spider-Man?" Eunbi asked, knowing her sister better than anyone else.

"Yeah," Chaewon said tiredly as she walked into the kitchen and began to look through the cabinets. She sighed when she saw there was absolutely nothing to snack on.

"Did he ignore you once again?" Eunbi asked, stuffing some popcorn into , eyes remaining trained on whatever drama she was watching.

Chaewon walked over to the couch and sat besides her sister before taking the bowl of popcorn into her hold. "Yeah, I swear he hates me."

"I really doubt that's the case," The older spoke as she snatched the bowl back, "I've interviewed him plenty of times and he is super nice."

Chaewon rolled her eyes. There it was once again. It seemed like she couldn't complain about Spider-Man once to her sister without the older bringing up her success with the self-proclaimed hero. "Yeah, well, I must be a special case then. I don't even know what his voice sounds like because every time I come around he stops talking and swings away."

"Nobody knows what his real voice sounds like," Eunbi said, eyes still trained on the television, "he wears a voice modifier."

"I wouldn't even know that," Chaewon snorted, "because that is how little I have gotten to know of him since I started this internship."

"Don't worry little sister. I'm sure one day you'll get to know him better."

"I doubt it."

 

 

To say that Chaewon was stressed was an understatement. She had an upcoming test in two weeks, two essays due in one week, a ten-minute presentation to give in two days, and not to forget that she still hadn't finished her article for this weeks column because she could get nowhere near the damn Spider-Man and she refused to write another article about climate change.

But among all this chaos in her life—there was more chaos.

Eunbi had told her an old family friend and her parents had just moved back into town not long ago and that their two families were scheduling a dinner which she would have to attend. Did Chaewon want to attend? Of course not. But when her sister was practically ordering her to attend, she didn't really have much choice. Eunbi was quite scary at times.

Thus, Chaewon was at the library, trying her best to get her history assignment done in one hour, before she had to leave to attend the dinner. Fortunately for her, if college had taught her anything so far it was how to type an essay in under an hour. So, Chaewon quickly submitted the assignment online and headed off to the restaurant where they would be having the reunion.

What Chaewon expected to happen when she arrived at the place was the parents talking while the children remained on their phones and she was left ultimately bored out of her mind, wishing she was able to get a head start on all the other assignments she had to piled up on her desk back home, or wishing she was hanging out with Yena or Hyewon, or Hitomi, or any other one of her friends. Sure, Chaewon had known Minjoo since even before she knew any of her recent friends, but that didn't mean she expected to get along with her now the same way she did when they were five and playing with dolls in Eunbi's room even though the older had restricted them from doing so before.

But when Chaewon arrived at the table ten minutes late and saw everyone was already there, she was surprised by how much the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter