Kindred Spirits

The Fairy Cupid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Do you believe in ghosts?

 

I never believe ghosts exist. Old people just make stories about ghosts to scare off children from doing something bad or dangerous while children claim to see ghosts to get attention. 


Some people even go further and document their “ghost huntings”. I feel pathetic to those people who actually believe the “paranormal experts”. They are just being fooled and I am smart enough not to get fooled.

 

Ghost do not exist.

 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

 

I was walking along the hallway when someone called me. “Chaewon, where are you going?” I turned back and saw my friend Na Goeun approaching me.

 

“Hey, I'm going to the rooftop for awhile. I want some fresh air,” I answered. “Wanna come with me?”

 

“Nah, I'll pass. Don't stay too long there. It will create a buzz if the school's fairy had heat .”

 

“Shut up.” I jokingly hit Goeun's arm. Goeun laughed and reached for her pocket. “Here.” She handed me a piece of candy wrapped in water cellophane.  

 

“What's this?”

 

“It's a lotus root candy. I got it from my grandma when she visited us. She made it herself. It's good. Well, have fun under the sun Ms. Fairy.” Goeun waved and walked away. I placed the candy inside my blazer's pocket.

 

After my encounter with Goeun, I went to the rooftop and found quite a few people around eating lunch. I went to the most isolated part of the rooftop and leaned forward on the fence while looking at the sky. 

 

“The weather is nice today. Not too hot.”

 

Staying idle at the rooftop, my mind drifted to the Flower Club. That is the club that I am in and I've been a member since my first year. My cousin, Kwon Eunbi, started this club two years ago and she pretty much dragged me into joining it when I started attending this school. 


At first when you hear the Flower Club you will think that its activities are related to gardening but actually it is not. What we basically do in the club is to help students understand what they don't understand in class. We are tutors. 

 

Then why is our club name Flower? I honestly didn't really listen well to Eunbi when she explained why. As far as I remember while I was daydreaming, Eunbi might have said something about turning the dry future of the students into a flowery path by achieving high grades. As expected from my cousin, it sounds cheesy.

 

I should've known that she would create a club like that since she always have a knack of helping other people. My cousin is beautiful which made her popular but because of her helpfulness, it made her even more popular and students wanted her to be the student council president. 


Well, she won the election last month making her the new student president. Right now the president of the Flower Club is Miyawaki Sakura with me as the vice president.

 

Since examination week is coming close I'm sure that students will be asking our help during that time. Tutoring here and there. Aaahh... I'm going to be busy soon.

 

I stood there in the same position for a few minutes until I remembered the candy Goeun gave to me earlier. I turned around and leaned my back against the fence. I unwrapped the candy and I was hesitant to eat it.

 

“Why is this candy so black? Goeun said it's a lotus root candy. Is there a real root inside?” I stared at the candy and brought it close to my nose. 


“It doesn't have strong scent...” I sighed, unsure of the candy. “I trust you Goeun.” I put the candy inside my mouth.

 

“You fool! Don't eat it!” A voice shouted from my right.

 

“!!” I almost swallowed the candy. I was so surprised by the voice.

 

“Is your life that miserable for you to eat such poison?!” I heard another voice and this time it's on my left.

 

“If you have any problems, let's talk it out. You don't have to end your life like this,” The voice from my right said.

 

What, what, what, what?

 

“People these days just want an easy life and I understand that but please don't do this. Eating such dark black poison is not the solution!” This time the voice from my left said.

 

“No, no, no! This is just a candy.” I turned around to face the people that thought I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter