NSDS • 5

Not So Dirty Secret

"That's all for today class, see you tomorrow" the teacher said before walking out of the room. The first subject of the day just finished and Taeyeon is still nowhere to be found.

Tiffany on the other hand, keeps on glancing on the empty seat on her right. She feels a little mad at Taeyeon for not letting her know where she's going before she left last night, and she is a wiped-out drunk- this morning. But at the same time, Tiffany is worried.

"Hey" a breathless voice was suddenly heard, breaking Tiffany's thoughts. "I'm...s-sorry" Tiffany looked up and saw her roommate who is all covered in sweat, her hair messed up and her eyes a little red due to the lack of sleep.

"Oh my God, sit down" Tiffany said with her eyes widened in shock. Taeyeon did as she was told and placed her bag on her table. She grabbed a towel from her bag and wiped it all over her face. "do you have water?" Tiffany asked, Taeyeon shook her head.

Tiffany rolled her eyes due to the fact that Taeyeon doesn't even bring water to class. Tiffany bent down since her bag is on the floor, just on the left side of her chair. She took out her pink water bottle with the words "MY DAY" written in black ink. She handed it over to Taeyeon who couldn't mutter a quick thank you. Taeyeon opened the bottle quickly and drank a lot. Literally, a lot. Tiffany even encourage her to consume all of her water since Taeyeon is very very thirsty.

Taeyeon wiped her upper lip with the back of her arm while handing the empty bottle back to Tiffany. "Thanks" she finally said, her eyes filled with guilt.

"What happened to you? Why are you so breathless?" Tiffany asked, even if she already know the answer.

"I woke up like 5 minutes until the first subject finishes–which is pretty obvious–so I rushed this morning. I took a very quick bath. I didn't eat at all then I ran here." Taeyeon explained

Tiffany crossed her legs and leaned against her desk. "well, you know, you wouldn't be late if you didn't stay out last night drinking" she answered, emphasizing the fact that Taeyeon spent the night drinking. The latter was speechless. "Where have you been? I was worried sick about you" Tiffany added, her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes suddenly felt like there's thunder coming out of it.

"I-...." Taeyeon stared at Tiffany's scary eyes for a little while and finally answered after she gulped. "I went out with my friends" she added. Tiffany's eyes finally felt soft, but her eyebrows are still furrowed.

Their conversation was interrupted because the second subject teacher has arrived. Tiffany tried her best to ignore Taeyeon even if she promised not to do so. 

"Hey" Taeyeon whispered to her left while the teacher is busy with the lecture. "psst" she whispered again, but Tiffany is still ignoring her.

Taeyeon turned to the back of her notebook, wrote something on it before tearing the whole page as quiet as she can so that she won't capture the teacher's attention. She folded the paper in three folds and placed it on Tiffany's desk.

Tiffany–who didn't even glanced at Taeyeon–looked down on her desk when she felt the moving tension from her right. She rolled her eyes before grabbing the paper and unfolding it. There she saw one word written in English. It was "sorry" with a very cute sad face on the side. Tiffany finally looked to her seatmate who was staring at her, watching her every move. Taeyeon frowned and put her hands together as if she was begging, she was apologizing. This time, Tiffany smiled in defeat, while Taeyeon smiled in relief. 

Tiffany took her pink pen and wrote something on the paper, folded it again and handed it back to Taeyeon. 

Taeyeon didn't find a single word on the paper, instead, she saw an emoticon, it was ">:("–it made Taeyeon smile like an idiot 

"Miss Kim, Miss Young, passing papers in the middle of my lecture?" the teacher suddenly said, making the two girls–who was called–sat up. Their professor walked to their area and grabbed the paper from Taeyeon's hand. The small girl was silently praying that the professor won't say anything to the class, and she's thankful that the professor didn't say anything about the notes. "What the hell is this? Are you grade schoolers?" the professor crumpled the paper in her hand "go to the faculty room and wait for me there. Now." the professor ordered.

***

"I can't believe you're passing notes like grade schoolers during my class" the professor said with his arms crossed. The two girls are standing right in front to the angry professor who is currently sitting on his office chair. Taeyeon and Tiffany waited outside the faculty room for half an hour since students aren't allowed to go inside the faculty unless it's important. They were quiet for 30 minutes, not knowing what to talk about. They sometimes kick each other's feet due to boredom. 

"Why were you passing nonsense notes during class?" The professor asked strongly.

Tiffany stared at Taeyeon's guilty eyes and her lips frowning. Taeyeon felt really bad for starting the passing notes thing and she knows to herself that she needs to stand up for what she started.

"Sir I–" Taeyeon was about to explain when the latter beside her interrupted. 

"As you can see, Sir, Taeyeon here is my roommate. I was mad at her for being late and she was just apologizing for it" Tiffany explained. Taeyeon's mouth was wide open, she wanted to say something but not a single word came out of .

"Can your problem just be settled after class? Or even, after MY class?" the professor asked once again, Tiffany let out a fake sigh.

"I told myself that I'll talk to her after class, but I guess that she noticed that I was too angry at her that's why she initiated the note passing" Tiffany explained again. Taeyeon on the other hand, frowned silently. 

The professor bought it. He crumpled the paper and threw it on the bin right under his desk. "Fine, I'll let you two get away with it this time" he said while standing up "Just don't do it ever again, it's disrespectful for me" he added, the two girls nodded after apologizing. The professor took like 6 books on his desk and handed it over to the girls. "As my punishment, take these books back to the library. Tell the secretary that I'm the one sending it back" he said, and the two girls silently took the books in his hand.

***

"Hey" Taeyeon said after Tiffany closed the door on her back. The two girls were carrying 3 books each as the division on the heavy books to be re the library. "You didn't have to do that" she added as they start walking.

"You look very guilty" Tiffany said with a soft heavenly chuckle that squeezed Taeyeon's heart.

"I did?" Taeyeon asked, brushing off her unusual feeling.

"Yeah, you have those puppy dog eyes and pouty lips. I can also feel that you were guilty" Tiffany answered.

The two girls turned right and took the exit on the building. Since they're heading to the library, they have to walk pass two more buildings to get there.

"Okay, I was guilty" Taeyeon said with her head down, Tiffany took a glance on the small girl. "I was afraid that I got you into trouble"

Tiffany nudged Taeyeon's arm with her own "Hey, it's not that serious" she said with a bright smile, and Taeyeon's gloomy face automatically disappeared

"Is there any way that I can make it up to you?" Taeyeon asked, Tiffany looked at her.

"Hey, I told you it's not that serious" Tiffany said, Taeyeon shook her head.

"I know I'm a trouble-causing roommate. I left last night without telling you where I'm going, I got home very late and drunk, and we got scolded by our professor because I started to pass a note to you. I just want to do something to make it up to you" Taeyeon explained continuously without looking at the latter that she's talking to.

A few minutes later, they finally reached the library. They're silently thankful that the library wasn't located on the second or third floor of Educ. Building, it's just on the first floor and it's the first thing that you'll see when you reach Educ. Building. 

"If it bothers you that much, then fine" Tiffany said in defeat when they got to the library door.

Taeyeon rushed to the glass door and pushed it with her right arm. "After you" she said in a polite but joking way. Tiffany beamed another blinding smile.

"You didn't have to do that" Tiffany said after the two of them stepped into the library. 

They walked towards the front desk where the library secretary was located, and it's just a few meters from the entrance. 

"Mr. Choi sent us to return these books" Tiffany said to the secretary.

It was a quick interaction; the secretary took the books, wrote something on the library log book and told the two girls that it's all settled and they can leave. 

"You didn't have to do that" Tiffany said when they stepped out of the library. They are now heading back to their building for their next class.

Taeyeon opened the door for Tiffany again.

"But I want to" Taeyeon said with a pout. "Anyways, you agreed earlier, right?" She asked.

Tiffany look at the small blonde girl. "Agreed at what?" She asked

"Agreed that I can do anything to make it up to you" Taeyeon said, with puppy eyes again.

"I can't remember you asking and I can't remember anything about me agreeing" Tiffany said and looked away, trying to hold her laughter because of the girl who looks so sad right now.

"Yah! You're laughing!" Taeyeon ran to the side where Tiffany is looking, that made them stop walking, and she caught the latter smiling. "You fooled me!" She said with another cute pout which made Tiffany pinch her cheeks.

"How can I not joke around with this cute little puppy?" Tiffany said, pinching both of Taeyeon's cheeks.

"So, you remember you agreed, right?" Taeyeon asked again with fingers still pinching her soft cheeks. 

Tiffany gave in and chuckled before nodding. Taeyeon's smile grew so big, her little chin dimple showed up. 

"How about dinner tonight?" Tiffany asked.

And Taeyeon—being the little puppy that she is, nodded in happiness.