NSDS • 3

Not So Dirty Secret

"Why are you so shocked?" Taeyeon asked and left out a small giggle because of Tiffany's surprised face. 

"I didn't know that you took the same major as me" Tiffany answered with here eyes still widened

"Well you didn't ask" Taeyeon said with a small smile which made Tiffany a little guilty.

She's right. Tiffany didn't even ask anything about Taeyeon. She really want to know her better. Somehow at the back of Tiffany's mind, she think that it's not the right time yet. She wants to grow fond of Taeyeon before she actually ask anything.

"I'm–" Tiffany was going to say something but their teacher suddenly arrived and greeted the while class loudly which interrupted the two roommate's conversation.

~~~~

Two hours has passed and the class is close to finishing the fourth subject, which is the last one before lunch break. It's biology, the subject that Tiffany hates the most. The teacher was discussing a new topic, but Tiffany has her attention on the small girl sitting beside her.

She turned her head to the right as simple as she can; trying her best to take a glance of the girl beside her without her knowing. She noticed that Taeyeon was writing stuff on the same notebook that she had last night. It's almost like a paragraph. She can't really see what was written on the notebook because there's quite a space between the two girls.

She even tried to lean a little closer to the small girl, really trying her best to read what she's writing. But no, she really can't. All she can see it that the words we're in a format of a poem. Perhaps Taeyeon is writing a poem?

"Am I right, miss Young?" their teacher said loudly, catching the blonde girl's attention.

"Yes sir Choi" she answered bluntly, not having a single idea of what their teacher was talking about. She showed an awkward smile after saying yes, and deep inside she's hoping that she won't be asked any further.

"Okay. That will be all for today." the teacher suddenly said as he gather his stuff and walked  out of the room without even saying good bye to the class.

"Oh you made him mad" a short-haired blonde girl walked towards Tiffany's desk

"No I didn't. He finished the class on time, duh." Tiffany answered as she rolled her eyes, the short-haired girl just laughed.

The girl stopped laughing when she noticed an unfamiliar face sitting beside Tiffany. Their eyes med for a few seconds and the two girls felt the awkward tension between them. 

"Are you new here?" she asked Taeyeon. Taeyeon got speechless on the sudden question, so she nodded her head as response instead.

"Oh, she's Taeyeon" Tiffany suddenly said rather loudly, making the two girls jump a little. "She's my new roommate" she added. Taeyeon stood up and bowed politely to the short-haired girl.

"I'm Hyoyeon" Hyoyeon said and bowed back. The two smiled at each other awkwardly again. 

Tiffany noticed the awkwardness between her friend and roommate so she decided to break it. "So, you wanna join us for lunch?" Tiffany asked Taeyeon; who, again, nodded her head as response. 

"Lemme get my bag" Hyoyeon said as she danced her way to her desk, making Taeyeon and Tiffany laugh.

~~~~

"So" Hyoyeon said as she chew her kimbap loudly. "new roommates, huh" she added.

"Can you swallow that first?" Tiffany demanded.

Hyoyeon chewed her food quickly and made a loud swallowing sound before opening and letting her tongue out, showing Tiffany that is finally empty. Taeyeon on the other hand, lowered her head and smiled quietly.

"Childish shi–" 

"ANYWAYS" Hyoyeon cut Tiffany who was about to swear, which obviously startled the new girl. "So you're Tiffany's new roommate, huh" she said. Hyoyeon made this pose as if she's thinking so hard while she judges Taeyeon. "You look so shy and introverted. The complete opposite of Sooyoung" she added and crossed her arms.

At this point, Taeyeon didn't know what to do. So she looked at Tiffany and tried to say "help me" with just her eyes. Tiffany on the other hand, got the signal when their eyes met. She smiled sadly and mouthed "I'm sorry" with a very concerned look.

"Where did you come from?" Hyoyeon suddenly asked.

"Jeonju" Taeyeon answered before sipping her banana milk.

"Your voice is so soft and gentle, do you sing?" Hyoyeon asked again, Taeyeon just smiled as she continue on sipping her banana milk. "Anyways, Jeonju is so far from Seoul, why did you transfer here?" She asked again. 

Taeyeon paused for a little while to think. Her eyes wandered around as if the answer is somewhere to be found inside the busy cafeteria. "I-uh" she said, biting the straw of her drink. "I like it here" she answered shortly as she stare on the small bottle of banana milk that is now empty.

"How about your family? Did you leave them there alone or you have siblings?" Hyoyeon asked continuously, which made Taeyeon feel uneasy on the sudden questions. She shifted from her seat a little before suddenly standing up.

"I'm out of banana milk, I'll get some on the vending machine over there. Be right back" Taeyeon said before she left their area, leaving Tiffany and Hyoyeon confused as hell on the behavior.

"That's probably first time that she said a lot" Tiffany said, referring to how talkative Taeyeon is in all of a sudden. She's right, Taeyeon doesn't really talk that much even on their room, Tiffany thought that it's because they're not that close yet. But why does she look so flustered?

Hyoyeon on the other hand, watched Taeyeon as she makes her way to the vending machine to get her drink. Taeyeon was standing behind a group of three girls who were also buying something from the machine. "I smell something fishy" Hyoyeon suddenly said.

Tiffany looked at her, "What do you mean?" she asked, observing Taeyeon as well. 

Hyoyeon leaned closer to Tiffany to whisper. "Doesn't she look a little nervous when I asked about her family and if she has siblings?"

"What are you two whispering about?" a voice was suddenly heard from behind. The two girls turned around and there they saw their other friend.

"Oh hey Sunny" Tiffany said with a smile, Sunny smiled back.

Sunny walked over to the other side of the table, which is Taeyeon's side, and took a seat there.

"There's three of you?" Sunny asked, noticing the empty bottle of banana milk and the plastic that wrapped Taeyeon's burger. "Did you replace me while I was gone?!?!"

"Chill, Susan." Hyoyeon suddenly said as Sunny furrowed her brows because of how she was addressed. "You weren't replaced, Sooyoung was. She transferred, remember? Tiffany got a new roommate and her name's Taeyeon." She explained, Tiffany got quiet.

Sunny tilted her head to the side. "and I guess you're talking about her?" She asked, Hyoyeon nodded.

"I have this feeling that she's hiding something" Hyoyeon answered.

Sunny's eyes got big and lit up, she got curious in all of a sudden. Tiffany on the other hand, rolled her eyes.

"Oh please, Hyo. Just because she didn't answer your question about her family doesn't mean she's hiding something. What if it's just a sensitive topic and she doesn't want to tak about it that much?" Tiffany defended as she take spoonful of strawberry yogurt into .

"I don't know what the two of you are talking about exactly, but based on what Tiffany said, you might've asked a sensitive topic. You know, there are some people who doesn't really want to talk about their families for personal reasons, right? Maybe it's just better if you don't ask her about that" Sunny answered, Tiffany nodded.

"Thank God you came" Tiffany exclaimed, receiving a giggle from Sunny. 

Hyoyeon noticed that Taeyeon is walking back to their table with a bottle of banana milk, she felt disappointed because she wants to defend herself but it's too late

"I still think she's hiding something. I can feel it" She whispered just before Taeyeon reached their table.

"Hey" Tiffany said when Taeyeon arrived. "This is Sunny, our other friend. And Sunny, this is Taeyeon, my new roommate" she said, introducing the two girls to each other

"Have you been a good new roommate to our Tiffany?" Sunny suddenly asked, which painted a smile on Taeyeon's face and made Tiffany's cheeks red.

"Does buying her favorite strawberry yogurt count as me being a good roommate?" Taeyeon asked, Tiffany looked down shyly.

"Yeah I guess. Baby steps, huh" Sunny answered "Sooyoung did a ty job when she was still her roommate, they fight a lot as if they didn't know each other since...I don't know, forever?" She added, earning a slap on her arm from Tiffany. "Oh , I forgot that I was running an errand for sir Siwon. I need to go" Sunny suddenly said when she realized that she was actually holding a lot of paper.

"Is he in a bad mood?" Tiffany asked.

"I don't think so, why?" Sunny answered while standing up.

"Well, Miss Young over here, wasn't paying attention to his class which made him walk out" Hyoyeon answered, Tiffany rolled her eyes again, Taeyeon could only smile.

"I didn't do anything" Tiffany fought back.

"I'll catch up with you guys later, okay? Sorry but I need to bring this to the other building since the bell is going to ring any time now. See you guys later!" Sunny said as she ran out of the canteen.

"Sis, you made sir Choi mad" Hyoyeon joked with wide smile again.

"Shut up" Tiffany answered just in time for the bell to ring. She stood up and got her bag before leaving the two behind.