NSDS • 2

Not So Dirty Secret

Tiffany woke up two and a half hours later, her eyes squinted as she try to adjust to the brightness of the room. It took her a little while to find out that there was a humming sound from the other side of the room. She sat up while trying her best to open her eyes fully and looked around to locate where the sound is coming from.

Taeyeon, who was biting her pen and currently sitting on the study desk near her bed with a notebook open, turned around when she heard the shifting sound which is caused by the movement of her roommate against the bed sheet. "Oh you're awake!" she said rather enthusiastically "I was planning to go out and buy some food, but I don't really want to leave without letting you know"

"You waited for so long, you must be hungry" Tiffany said with her just-woke-up husky voice. She stood up and walked towards her shelf, grabbed her comb and brushed it through her soft black hair.

"No, I'm fine" Taeyeon said sincerely with a pure smile, Tiffany couldn't help but smile back. "I'll be going now, is there anything you want from the store?" Taeyeon asked. Tiffany paused for a while to think.

It took her a few seconds to finally decide what to eat. "Strawberry yogurt" she said while grabbing her purse. She pulled out a bill and handed it over to Taeyeon who refused on taking the money. 

"No, it's on me" Taeyeon said with her cute smile again. Stood up from her chair, grabbed her notebook, pulled the drawer of her desk and kept it there before excusing herself. Tiffany didn't even ge the chance to talk with Taeyeon's speed.

Tiffany returned her money to her purse and sat down on the edge of her table before grabbing her phone to text Sooyoung. She said that her new roommate is actually nice and is currently buying her he favorite strawberry yogurt. Sooyoung didn't take long to reply since she doesn't have any classes yet. Sooyoung said that it's good that Tiffany's getting along well with her new roommate in a short period of time. 

Tiffany didn't have a hard time adjusting to Sooyoung when they were roommates since they were childhood bestfriends. They fought a lot before, especially when they were kids. It's really a surprise that they grew closer even if they fight a lot, even Sooyoung's parents were shocked.

Going back to the present, the door opened a few moments later and Taeyeon walked in with two bags hanging on both her arms and she was holding two cup noodles which seems to be filled with hot water since there's steam coming out from the sides. 

Tiffany threw her phone to he bed and rushed towards Taeyeon to offer help. "Oh my God, why did you buy so much?" She asked, grabbing the two cup noodles from Taeyeon's hand and placed it on Taeyeon's desk.

"It's not much" Taeyeon said, closing the door behind her and placed the two plastic bags beside her desk "think of it as a housewarming gift" she added making Tiffany's let out a soft chuckle.

"Two ramen, huh. You must be so hungry" Tiffany said while walking back towards her bed.

"One's for you" Taeyeon answered, which stopped Tiffany from walking. "It's night time and you probably didn't have dinner yet since you fell asleep" she added, Tiffany got speechless. Seeing Tiffany that flustered made Taeyeon smile once again. She grabbed one ramen and handed it over to Tiffany, who just grabbed it without saying anything. "You might want to take a seat" Taeyeon said, Tiffany looked at the ramen an finally realized that her hand feels hot from holding the cup.

"Ah, right" Tiffany smiled rather awkwardly as she sat down on her chair and placed the hot ramen on her desk. She turned her head around and took a quick glance at her roommate who was sitting a few meters behind her and she saw Taeyeon quietly stirring her ramen. Tiffany turned her head back and stirred her ramen as well and started to eat.

The room got quiet for a few minutes as the two girls ate their dinner rather quietly, so Tiffany decided to break the silence.

"So, tomorrow's your first day" Tiffany said without even turning around to face Taeyeon, surprising the latter who almost choked on the ramen's broth. "Nervous?" she added.

"Yeah..." Taeyeon stared at her almost empty cup as her voice trailed off when she answered.

"You'll be fine, the people here are nice" Tiffany said. She anticipated for a response but she didn't get anything, so she just shrugged it off. 

The room got quiet again and Tiffany let out a heavy sigh. This is new for her, she's used to hearing Sooyoung's loud voice echoing around the room. She's used to having someone who keeps on bugging her on anything that she do. She misses Sooyoung.

"Are you done?" a voice was heard behind her which interrupted her thoughts. It was Taeyeon, offering her hand as a gesture that she'll throw the ramen cup.

"Ah, yes" Tiffany stuttered while offering her empty cup "thanks" she said, Taeyeon can only answer with a smile.

Tiffany watched her new roommate as she walk towards the small trash bin on their mini kitchen and observed how she gently threw the cups. Taeyeon then walked back to her desk, pulled out the side drawer and took the notebook that she was writing on earlier. Tiffany didn't even bother to ask what it is since she figured that it's none of her business.

"I'm going to go out for a quick walk" Tiffany said after standing up. She was lowkey waiting for Taeyeon to ask if she can come, but all she got is a sincere 'take care' and the usual cutesy smile.

Tiffany smiled back before walking towards the door, grabbed her pink jacket and walked her way out of the room.

~~~~~

It's already the next day and Tiffany is late for her first class. She got up and checked the time, it's already 7:30am and her class starts at 8. All she could ever think about is: she's doomed.

Her roommate already left on God-knows-what time, and her bed is already tidy.

So, she rushed.

She brushed her teeth quickly, and changed clothes as fast as she can. Fortunately, she took a bath last night after going for a walk. She came to their room and saw her new roommate sleeping like a baby, and she got this feeling of wanting to take a bath. She's glad that she did.

After throwing her stuff on her bag, Tiffany finally grabbed her comb and ran to the campus as she comb her hair.

The main campus is only a few minute walk away from the dorm, so she just got to their classroom right on time.


"You're almost late again" one of her classmate said, Tiffany could only smile since she like running our of breath. She walk towards her spot with her head down, feeling tired from all the running.

She let out a deep and heavy sigh when her bottom finally touches her chair, relieved that she wasn't late.

"So tired, huh" a familiar voice was heard beside her. Tiffany turned her head to the right and her eyes widened when she recognized her new seatmate. 

"Taeyeon?!" she exclaimed rather excitedly, Taeyeon showed a big smile with her little chin dimple showing out.