NSDS • 1

Not So Dirty Secret

"I'm sorry" Sooyoung said as she pull her luggage bag's handle after double checking her stuff. She's leaving today due to family business, and her roommate is not currently not talking to her. She let go of the handle and gave her pouty roommate a tight hug. "Tiff, I'm really sorry" she said before pulling away because she heard a sniff from the latter.

Tiffany has been holding her tears for so long, and the hug just gave it all away. Her roommate slash childhood best friend is transferring to a different college because her parents had this job opportunity on the other side of the country. "Not fair" she whispered under her breath, but loud enough for Sooyoung to hear.

"I'll text you. We'll still talk, okay?" Sooyoung said, pulling Tiffany's chin up and gave the latter a big smile.

Tiffany couldn't help but smile back. "I'm really going to miss you" she said, pulling her best friend into another hug, but crying this time "Stupid" she whispered under her breath.

Sooyoung smiled faintly as she pat the crying girl's back. "There there, you'll be fine" she said "and I heard your new roommate is nice" she added. Yup, there is already a replacement for Sooyoung's slot.

Each student that studies at Seoul University gets to stay on their own rooms—the uni dorms. Since the university is big, each room has two students, but of the same .

The moment was interrupted when they heard a sudden knock on the door. The two girls pulled away from the hug and Tiffany proceeded on opening the door then she was greeted by three adults, which are Sooyoung's parents and the school principal. 

Tiffany and Sooyoung shared another hug before Sooyoung finally bid her good bye. Tiffany accompanied Sooyoung, her parents, and the school principal to the elevator. Once the four people stepped inside, Tiffany waved her hand at Sooyoung for the last time.

But just as before the elevator door closes, the principal suddenly spoke. "As far as I know, your new roommate will be coming shortly" he said to Tiffany, and Tiffany could only fake a smile. 

She walked back to the room with heavy footsteps and slamed the door behind her a little too loud before flopping herself on her bed which is in the left side of the room, her soft pink wool blanket pressing against her left cheek. Tiffany is sad, she's alone now. But no, she'll have a new roommate—a stranger.

Sooyoung left the uni in the middle of a school year because of the sudden adjustments of her family. She doesn't blame them tho, she's mature enough to understand the reason why Sooyoung has to transfer, and she respects that. 

Tiffany's mind is now occupied of her new roommate. Is she quiet? What if she's gothic? Nerdy? Hard to approach? Is she really nice like the principal said? What if she's an addict? Tiffany closed her eyes and unknowingly drifted herself to sleep.

Her nap lasted for two hours, it's a good thing because her schedule today is mostly vacant since it's a friday. Her classes started from 7 am to 12 pm only, and the current time is 4pm.

She sat up and reached over to her phone which was resting on the side table just beside her bed to check the time, but she was greeted with her lockscreen notifications. 10 messages from Sooyoung. Most messages are "i miss you" and "what are you doing right now?", and the others are just updates of Sooyoung's whereabouts. Apparently, she arrived at the new uni and she said she has a new roommate named Sunny and she said that they were getting together quite well.

As she was typing her reply to Sooyoung messages, her phone vibrated. She got another text from Sooyoung.

[Sooyoung>Tiffany: Hey, why are you not replying? Is everything alright there? Is your new roommate there?]

Tiffany looked at the time again and noticed that two hours has passed and her roommate is still nowhere to be found. With her instinct, she looked around the room and something near the door caught her attention. It was a piece of paper and there are words written on it. Tiffany put her phone down on the bed and walked towards the door, picked up the piece of paper then read it. There was a phone number at the bottom part of the paper and a slightly lengthy message.

"Hi, I was told by the principal that you have no classes this afternoon. It's 2:30 pm now and I tried knocking on the door but there was no response, I figured that you might've went out or something. If you read this, please text me on my number written a the bottom of this paper. Thank you so much.

-KTY"

The letter reads. Tiffany ran to her bed quickly and grabbed her phone as if she has won a lottery and was ready to spread the news to her family. She tapped the messaging app and input the number on the recipient bar on the top before typing her message.

[Tiffany>??: Hi, it's me from room 027. I read your letter, and I'm sorry for getting to you late, I fell asleep :( you can go to the room now :)]

She re-reads the letter and judged the handwriting. It was neat and cute, not a single ink smudge. She even noticed the small smiley face after the writer's initial.

It took a few minutes for her new roommate to arrive, so Tiffany decided to read a book while she wait. As she was getting to the of the book she's reading, she heard a soft knock on the door which made her eyebrows furrow.

She knows that it was probably her roommate, but her reading session was interrupted! And she's getting on the best part of the story!

She oppened the door and she was greeted by a pale girl wearing round specs that's just a few inches shorter than her. Her hair was a little light brown and she has this very neat smile. "Hi, you're Tiffany?" she asked with her angelic voice which sent the latter speechless, just double checking that she got the room right.

"Y-yes" Tiffany said, feeling surprised because she stuttered. "Come in" she added as she guide the smaller girl in. The girl looked around and her eyes sparkled as if she found millions of gold in the room. "What's so interesting? It's not much" Tiffany said with a small giggle because of how amazed the little girl was.

"It's better than I expected it to be" the small girl said, making Tiffany smile. "Oh, by the way, my name is Kim Taeyeon" she offered her hand for a shake which Tiffany grabbed in an instant.

"I'm Tiffany Young" she said while their hands are moving up and down. She can't help but think of how soft Taeyeon's hand was. 

They pulled away after a few moments which led them to an awkward silence, the small girl even blushed.

Tiffany guided her new roommate to the unoccupied bed which used to be Sooyoung's bed. "Here's your bed" Tiffany said, gesturing to the bed. Taeyeon looked at her with eyes asking for permission, Tiffany nodded even if she has no idea why Taeyeon asked for permission.

Tiffany's eyes widened when her new roommate suddenly flopped herself to the bed and bounced up a little on the sudden force. Taeyeon moved her hand up and down to the sheets as if she's making a snow angel faced down. "so soft..." Taeyeon whispered quietly, not letting Tiffany hear.

It took a few moments for Taeyeon to realize what she has been doing, and when she did, she suddenly sat up and fixed her clothes. "I'm sorry, I was just too excited" Taeyeon said, lowering her head and looking at the floor, trying her best not to meet Tiffany's eyes. Taeyeon slapped herself deep inside. What was she even thinking?

Tiffany could only smile to her new roommate's dorkiness. It also occured to her that she was not weirded out by what Taeyeon just did, she even thought that it was cute. What went to Tiffany's mind?

"I-I'll just fix my stuff" Taeyeon said while rushing to her bags. She has one big backpack, a small body bag, and two tote bags that has all her stuff. 

"You have a lot of bags, you don't you have any luggage bags?" Tiffany asked when she sat down on her own bed. Taeyeon shook her head as an answer. Tiffany frowned, thinking that it must've caused a lot of trouble to Taeyeon when she brought all her stuff to the university.

With that thought, Tiffany remembered that she wasn't able to welcome Taeyeon when she first arrived. "I'm sorry for letting you in late, I fell asleep" Tiffany said with a frown while Taeyeon goes through her clothes. "I didn't even realize that I fell asleep. I was just thinking about stuff and I-"

Taeyeon turned her head around and smiled when their eyes met "It's okay" she said, cutting Tiffany's words, and proceeded on unpacking her belongings.

Tiffany was speechless again of how beautiful Taeyeon's voice was, of how her eyes sparkled and how her hair flew when she turned her head around. How can someone be so beautiful? How can a stranger make Tiffany so speechless?

Tiffany shrugged her thoughts off her head and layed down on her pink bed and decided to read. She grabbed the book she was reading and opened it on the page where a book mark was inserted. She seems to be distracted by this small stranger in her room. There's something about her. Tiffany was very distracted by the person who is ping her bags and taking out pouches, books, notebooks, pens, and clothes. Tiffany couldn't read, her attention was on Taeyeon. 

Having the feeling of someone watching her, Taeyeon turned around and their eyes met again. Tiffany thought she was fast enough to turn her gaze to her book, but Taeyeon still caught her staring.

Tiffany turned her body to the left and she is now facing the wall, completely avoiding her new roommate. But then again, she fell asleep.