NSDS • 4

Not So Dirty Secret

It's already 6 in the evening and the two girls just finished their last class. The teacher got out of the room a few minutes ago and the rest of the class are currently busy fixing their stuff and getting ready to leave as well.

 

Taeyeon took her pen and put it inside her bag, as well as her notebook. She watched this girl who was sitting one space away from her on her left. She was busy with her phone and it took her a while for her to finally fix her stuff. Taeyeon stood up and put her backpack on before walking towards the girl.

 

"Hey" she said, the girl looked up since Taeyeon was standing.

 

"Oh, hey Taeyeon" she said before looking down again and continued to fix her bag.

 

"Want to go back to the dorm together?" Taeyeon asked, but she didn't get any answer from her roommate. "I mean, if you want to.. since we're roommates or if you're going somewhere it's okay I'll just go—"

 

Taeyeon was cut when Tiffany suddenly stood up. "Let's go" she said after clinging her bag on her shoulder.

 

The two girls walked out of the room together and through the school field without saying a single word to each other. Taeyeon noticed that there's an odd silence going on and something is bugging her ever since they went to eat lunch together. 

 

"Hey" Taeyeon said, breaking the silence. "Were you ignoring me?"

 

Tiffany looked at the girl on her left as they continue walking. She found her roommate looking at her with tearful eyes which made her stop walking. "Hey there, I wasn't ignoring you, okay?" she said, the smaller girl pouted which made Tiffany's heart squeeze.

 

"But you weren't talking to me since after lunch and you didn't even sit beside me on class" Taeyeon said, still pouting.

 

"I'm sorry. Come on" Tiffany said as she guide her sad roommate to walk again. "I really wasn't ignoring you. You seemed uncomfortable when Hyoyeon asked a lot of questions" she explained, keeping her eye straight and tried her best not to look at Taeyeon "especially about your family. I figured that it's a sensitive topic and Hyoyeon might've pushed a button. I thought you needed space for that so I didn't talk to you that much" she added.

 

The few minutes of the walk going to their dorm was still quiet, but not awkward this time. Tiffany is letting Taeyeon take her time to absorb what she just explained. 

 

It took a few moment for Tiffany to break the silence, since she felt that Taeyeon couldn't find a response to what she said. And she assumed that she was right after all, family is a very sensitive topic for Taeyeon and Hyoyeon really crossed the line. "I felt sorry for putting you in an uncomfortable situation. I'm sorry that Hyo wasn't too careful, she doesn't even know you that well" Tiffany said. "It's also the second-hand embarrassment from how she acted that's why I decided to distance myself from you for a bit" she added.

 

The two girls finally arrived at their dorm bulding, they walked in the building and stepped in the elevator quietly. It's just the two of them inside the lift and silence filled the air once again, it's starting to make Tiffany a little uneasy. 

 

"I'm sorry for ignoring you" Tiffany said, breaking the silence once again. 

 

"Please..." Taeyeon whispered with her head lowered down, Tiffany looked at Taeyeon's reflection through the metallic elevator surrounding. "... don't do it again..." she added, but just in time for the elevator to stop and let out a loud 'ding'.

 

The two girls walked out of the elevator and towards the door of their unit. Tiffany took out the door card and tapped it on the sensor just above the door knob. The door made a beeping sound which indicated that the door is now unlocked. They walked towards their own beds–Taeyeon flopped her body on her bed and Tiffany just sat at the edge of the bed.

 

"On the elevator..." Tiffany said, tracing the floral pattern of her pink blanket "you said don't do it again, what do you mean?" 

 

Taeyeon let out a heavy sigh as she swallow her embarrassment, she's thankful that she's laying face-down the bed–not revealing her blushing face. "I know it's our first day as classmates and roommates, but I never felt so comfortable with anyone like this before even if we don't really talk that much" she said, her voice muffled because she was talking against the cover of her bed, but her voice is clear enough for Tiffany to understand. "It's kinda given that I don't have any friends since it's my first day at school, so I feel so alone when you started to ignore me" she added, but she lowered her voice this time. Yet again, clear enough for Tiffany to understand. 

 

Tiffany on the other hand, smiled to herself as she look at her small roommate's back before shaking her head. "okay, I'm sorry. I promise that I will never ignore you. Never again" she said. Taeyeon suddenly got up and looked at her with her eyes widened in shock.

 

"Really?!" she asked, Tiffany nodded with a sincere smile. Taeyeon sat properly and fixed her clothes. "T-thank you" she added.

 

After a few minutes of comfortable silence (finally), Tiffany stood up and grabbed her bag and sat on her study desk. "Don't forget our philosophy homework" she said. 

 

Taeyeon panicked a little because she totally forgot about that. Sounds of stuff rattling from behind Tiffany can be heard, it's really obvious that Taeyeon is currently panicking and she's trying to go through her bag to get her notebook and pen. Tiffany smiled to herself again, she can completely understand what's happening behind her without even looking.

 

Silence, again. The room got dead for a whole 30 minutes. The two girls are too busy with their homework, not even a single breath can be heard. The only sound that can be heard inside the room is the clock ticking.

 

Taeyeon looked at the clock hanging at the wall on the middle of their two beds, it's almost 7pm and her eyes widened again. "oh " she whispered. She suddenly stood up and her chair was pushed behind when she stood up, which made a loud sound and made Tiffany turn around. "I'm sorry but I have somewhere to go" she said before running towards her dresser, she grabbed her denim jacket and closed the dresser without putting it on.

 

"Wait, where are you going?" Tiffany asked "why in a hurry?"

 

Taeyeon grabbed her bag and ran towards the door. She put her hand on the door knob–ready to turn it and walk out, but turned around to face Tiffany again. "somewhere" she said shortly, earning a frown from her roommate.

 

"Well what time will you be coming back?" Tiffany asked, Taeyeon took a quick glance at the clock once again which made Tiffany look as well.

 

"I don't know, you dont have to wait for me" Taeyeon said in a hurried tone. "I'm sorry I got to go" she added and finally left the room in a flash.

 

Tiffany was frozen on her chair—still looking at the door and still figuring out what the just happened. She figured that she should not be interfering with Taeyeon since it's none of her business after all. 

 

So she decided to continue her homework.

 

***

 

Morning came and Tiffany woke up on the sound of her alarm. She got up and stretched her arms in the air. Her eyes are still trying to open since she's still sleepy because she slept late last night. She decided to wait for Taeyeon to come home, but midnight came and Taeyeon never came. Tiffany's energy ran out at 12am and she automatically drifted herself to sleep.

 

She looked to her left and found Taeyeon sleeping peacefully with yesterday's clothes. Tiffany stood up and tried to wake her roommate up. 

 

"Hey, wake up." She said while poking Taeyeon's shoulder. "you wouldn't want to be late on your second day" she added, but got nothing. Taeyeon is still in her deep sleep, so Tiffany pushed her shoulders a little. "wake up" she said again.

 

Nothing. No response, not a single flinch. Tiffany moved her face closer to Taeyeon's to check if her instinct is right. And she is. The smell of alcohol is strong. Tiffany's eyebrows furrowed as she walked backwards, feeling shocked from the strong fragrance. And from there she figured; it would be hard to wake her up if she drank a lot last night, so she decided to let her be.

 

Tiffany got her self ready for school. It didn't take her that long to prepare breakfast, eat, and take a shower before she prepare her stuff. 

 

She looked at her wasted roommate once again after going through her bag to check if her stuff is complete. "Oh well" she whispered to herself and sighed in defeat since she couldn't wake Taeyeon up. "Bye" she said before putting her bag over her shoulder and finally leaving their unit.