Promise

Ignorance Is Bliss

                                                *********************** Minju's dream******************
        Minju, Mingi, and Hongjoong were in the martial arts room when both of their fathers walked into the room. The twins were eight and Hongjoong was eleven.
        "Have you really not decided who is going to succeed you when you grow old?" Hongjoong's father asked.
        "Both of my children are the same age so it will be based on skill." He told him.
        "But why not just pass it down to your son? Why would you even suggest the girl to be leader?" Hongjoong's father asked.
        "Minju! You and your brother prepare for a match." Her father told her.
        Minju liked martial arts, she was a natural but she hated to beat her brother. He was weaker and slower than her so she always won. As she stood on the other end of the mat ready to fight her brother had a fire in his eyes that she only sees when her father is around. He always feels like he has to prove himself in front of him and doesn't want to lose. The bell sounded and mingi ran towards her trying to get the first hit but she dodged it quickly. He went in again but was too slow and Minju kicked out and caught him in the side. He winced in pain and she began to feel bad for kicking so hard.
        "Oppa? Are you ok-" She tried to asked but he caught her off guard and punched her in the face.
        Minju reacted by punching back a few times and finally knocking her brother to his feet and stopping.
        "The girl is strong but weak at heart but on the other hand the boy is weak but has a fire in his heart. So this is why you want to choose between the two." Hongjoong's father said.
        "That's why I must train and discipline them harder." Their father said. "Minju! What are you doing? Finish him!"
        "I-I can't" She said and her father raced over to her.
        He slapped her across the face and she fell to the ground. Hongjoong looked over at her in shock before racing over to her. Her father then turned to Mingi and grabbed a wooden sword off the wall to hit him with. Suddenly, Minju jumped in front to block her brother and was hit on the back. The sound of the hit resonated through the room and everyone stayed silent. Minju held in her scream and tried to be strong but tears came rushing down her face, the pain was too much for her.
        "You fool! Why would you take the punishment for him?" Her father asked.
        He threw down the sword and left with Hongjoong's father. Once they were alone Mingi threw her off of him and she fell back onto the ground. Hongjoong who was in so much shock by what had happend Immediately went to help her up. 
        "Why would you push her? She was only helping you." Hongjoong yelled to Mingi.
        "I dont need my little sisters protection! if it wasn't for her I wouldn't be like this! Its all her fault for being born!" Mingi yelled.
        Hongjoong was holding Minju now because she couldn't stand any longer.
        "How is this her fault?" Hongjoong asked.
        "If it wasn't for her I would be healthy because she shared a womb with me she stole all the nutrients and left me with none." He told him.
        "How is that her fault?"
        "Because I'm the oldest son and she just a girl but father only sees her." 
        "O-oppa" Minju said. "Why are you saying these things?" 
        "Because I hate you! I always have and always will!" He said and finally stormed out leaving just Hongjoong and Minju.
        Hongjoong brought ice to put on Minjus face and back.
        "Does your dad always hit you like that?" He asked feeling sorry for her.
        "No he usually only hits me once but hits Oppa more. I just wanted to help him because I hate seeing him hurt but I guess I only made it worse." She said while outing the ice on her check.
        "Minnie... I really dont want you to ever get hit again." Hongjoong said and grabbed Minjus hand. "Oppa will protect you, I promise."
        He held up his pinky finger to her and smiled. Minju smiled back and locked her pinky finger with his.
        "You better not break your promise okay?" She said.
        "Of course."
                                                        *************************************
        When Minju woke up she sat up and looked around. I had the dream again but this time it was more detailed. This cant be real can it? She thought. Suddenly she felt something move beside her and looked down and saw the guy from last night bent over the bed while sitting on a chair sleeping. 
        "Ahh!" She screamed after being startled by him.
        He woke up alert and immediately starting looking around to see if anything had happen. He turned to look at Minju and grabbed her hands in his.
        "Minnie! Whats wrong?" He asked her.
        "Wh-who Are you? What are you doing here?" She said pulling her hands away.
        "I'm sorry" He said and let go of her hand. "I forget that you dont remember."
        "We knew each other didn't we?" She asked.
        "Yeah we were friends as kids." He told her.
        "Hongjoong?" She asked.
        "You remember?" He asked.
        "No I just had a dream and I think you were in it." She told him.
        "What was it about?" He asked her.
        "Was..... was my father abusive?" She asked.
        He looked down for a moment not wanting to tell her the truth but he knew she wouldn't find out eventually.
        "He was very tough on you and your brother. He wanted you both to be prepared to take over when the time came." He told her.
        "Oh and also were you there the night I went missing?" She asked.
        "No." He told her.
        "Then do you know why I have this?" She asked and held up the ring.
        "That's-that's my ring that went missing years ago." He said and got up to leave.
        Minju felt as if he knew more than what he was saying.
        "I'm going to have Someone bring you some food and clean your wounds. You should rest some more." He said almost in a nervous tone as he closed the door behind him.
        Something isn't right and adding up with what everyone says around here. They are hiding something from me and
I'm going to find out what it is.
She thought to herself.