EP 3: Indeed, a surprise

EXO Next Door + 3

YEONHEE WOULD NORMALLY wake up after her alarm clock rings for the third time. But today, she woke up even before her first alarm rings. She first rubs her eyes to ease the blurriness that is caused by her 11 hours of sleep. As soon as she got home last night, she immediately went to her room and washed up before she goes to sleep. She wants tomorrow to immediately come so she can start a new day and shift her focus for that day.

When she went down to grab her breakfast, her mom was surprised on how early she is for today. "Do you have any plans for today?" She asks.

"No, Mom. Why?" She answered and asked in return.

"Are you sick?"

Yeonhee stops munching her peanut butter sandwich just to look at her mother. "What do you mean by that?"

Yeonhee's mother tilted her head and seems to think deeply about something. "Did the ugly aliens took oori Yeonhee away and you replaced her?"

Yeonhee stomps her feet and scratched her head in annoyance. "Aish! Eomma! What are you saying?!"

"Well, it's because this is strange! You are early for today's school. You also took breakfast at the table instead of grabbing it to eat it while on your way to school. It's just very unusual!"

"Ah, why are you shouting?!"

"I'm not shouting AISHH! Take your time eating and go so you will not be late again!" Her mother shouted and immediately exits out of their dining area.

After a few moments, her brother Gwangsu enters the dining are while hugging a thermos and a small brown paper bag.

“What about you?” Yeonhee snarled at Gwangsu. He did not say anything and just went near the table and placed a thermal tumbler on the table and a brown paper bag.

“Coffee with milk and cinnamon breads. Bring that with you.” He said.

Yeonhee’s eyes almost popped out before Gwangsu left her at their dining area. “W-what’s with Eomma and Gwangsu? I think my original Mom and Gwangsu were taken by the ugly aliens and gave them to me in exchange.” She shrugged and grabbed the snacks before she went out of their house to go to school.

SHE DID ARRIVED early. And this is very rare that she came first on their classroom. She just stayed there and wait for the time to pass instead of loitering around the school without her friend GaEun.

Ever since her first encounter with EXO, GaEun also turned her into a super fangirl. She started listening to their other songs and watching almost all of their TV guesting, dramas, movies and listening to their music.

There’s this one special song by EXO that can only be heard by her and GaEun—when she insisted to have a copy of it as well. She puts her earphones on and played the music.

Anyeong naege dagawa… Sujubeun hyanggireul angyeo judeon neo.

Huimihan kkumsogeseo… Nuni bushi deorok banjjagyeosseo

Seolleime nado moreuge, hanbaldubal nege dagaga…

Neoye gyeote nama

Neoye misoe nae maeumi noganaeryeo, nuni majuchyeosseulttaen, dugeungeoryeo

Oh, neoye gaseume nae misoreul gieokhaejwo, haruedo myeokbeonssikk saenggakhaejwo

Oh, noege hago sipeun geu mal, you’re beautiful

She immediately pulled the wires and the ear plugs dropped on her lap. And now, even listening to this song reminds her of some not-so-good memories that has happened from the past few months.

No matter how she stays silent and let things just passed by and be forgotten by all of them who’s involved, she knows it will not get better if they will just let it pass like that.

“Hey? Like—hello? Seriously, what’s happening with you? How many ‘hey’ do I have to say to bring you back to your senses?” she sat at the vacant seat beside her after putting the purplish paper bag on Yeonhee’s table.

“G-GaEun-ah. S-sorry. I’m just thinking of… my dream. I just remembered it.” She reasoned out.

“Dream? Is it bad?” she again asked and pressed her hand on Yeonhee’s shoulder.

Yeonhee then shakes her head. “No. It’s not really important.” Then she tried to show a smile. “Anyway! What’s with this paper bag? It’s a bit huge?” She tried to check the paper bag’s appearance first before she peeks at the holes from it’s opening.

“Seriously? How about a thank you first?”

“Uhm…” she looked at GaEun who’s actually waiting for her to say thank you. “Thank… you?”

GaEun laughed at her and gave her a hug. “That thing that you were thinking a while ago might not be just a random dream. Happy birthday, Yeonhee! Don’t tell me you forgot your own birthday?” She said and let go of their hug to see how shock Yeonhee’s face is.

“Omo. I… I did forget about it.” She searched on her bag to look for the paper bag that Gwangsu gave her.

“From whom is that?” GaEun asked.

“G-Gwangsu actually gave this to me.” She said and she started to smile. “So, that’s also the reason why Eomma prepared something delicious during our breakfast.”

“Wow. I cannot believe you Yeonhee. Your level of being dense is soooo high that you even forgot that today is your birthday. Ja! Open my gift!”

She nods multiple times as she shows her friend a smile and her excitement because of the gift. She first grabbed something soft. When she took it out, it was a new shirt with— “Baekhyun? Why does this have Baekhyun’s face on it?”

GaEun wiggled her body in excitement. “Take that in addition for your goods! Isn’t he cute on that picture on your shirt? That’s called a bias shirt!”

“W-what, bias shirt?” she repeats and GaEun nods.

“Ja! Don’t think that it is the only thing that I gave you. Grab some more!”

Yeonhee did grabbed another one inside the bag. “What the… it’s a Baekhyun mug?”

“TADA! That’s not just a simple mug! Once you pour hot water on it, it will change to another picture of him! Amazing, isn’t it?”

This time, Yeonhee has to force a smile just to avoid offending he friend. “Y-yeah. I will definitely try this when I got home.

She grabbed another one and this time, “M-MWO? BAEKHEE?”

It was a necklace with Baekhyun’s first character on his name and the last syllable of her name.

“You’re surprised, right? That’s actually customized! I just got it yesterday. And I know that you are meeting them sometimes but, no worries! You don’t need to wear it when you meet him. Ja! What do you think of my gifts?”

Seriously, why are these all Baekhyun goods? “Ahhh. Of course, I’m really thankful! Surely, I can use these at home. Thank you again, GaEun.” She said and put the gifts back on the paper bag.

“Do you think that’s all? Meet me on our locker room during our lunch! Okay?” GaEun cheerfully offered and Yeonhee nodded agreeing.

The classroom started to be filled with students attending the same class as Yeonhee and GaEun.

A DOORBELL ON their house made Gwangsu’s face distorts into the ugliest face you’ll ever see on him.

“Who’s that this early? Aish. This is my only time to practice my martial arts stunts before I go to school!” He went to the door and readied himself to show his ‘not pleased’ face and when he opened the door, a body wrapped on his.

“MY BRODAH!”

Gwangsu’s scrunched forehead bothered the others. “Hyung?”

“Can you let us in?”

GAEUN TOOK OFF the cover of the box and both of them awed on how the cake looks.

“You bought this for me as well?” Yeonhee’s twinkling eyes made her friend GaEun smile before she nods.

“But, hey, isn’t this too much?”

“Eyy. What’s too much with bringing presents and giving a delicious cake for my one and only best friend? It’s your birthday today. You should just feel happiness today and besides it only happens once a year.”

The both of them sat on a long metal chair inside their school’s locker room.

“GaEun. I promised to stay on your side forever! Whatever happens, wherever we go, I will be here for you, too!” She said and gave her friend a short hug.

“Shall we eat it on the pantry?” GaEun offered.

“Naahh. I don’t really want to blurt out to the others that it’s my birthday today. Celebrating it with you is enough! Ja, here, have some coffee while munching some cake.”

GaEun held her cup and Yeonhee poured cold coffee on it. “Wow. Gwangsu should open a café in the future. His coffee is no joke.”

“I thought of that, too!” Yeonhee agreed before she sips on her cup and happily bites some cake

“Woah. I’m feeling relieved to see that you are happy today. Honestly, I’m just not asking because you might not want to talk about it. But ever since you returned from your vacation on China…” GaEun stopped to check Yeonhee’s reaction. Her genuine smile did fade away. “Uhm… never mind that. What’s important is you are happy today! Ja, eat up!”

Yeonhee tried to show her smile again and nods before she continues eating.

DISMISSAL TIME. SADLY, GaEun will not be able to go home with Yeonhee to share some food that her mother will surely make for her birthday.

“Ja! Take care on your way home! Thank you again for the gift, GaEun-ah. I’m looking forward to your birthday. I’m gonna make sure you will receive something greater.” She beamed at her friend before they hugged each other once again.

“Alright! I’m going to expect goods as well, hm? Bye Yeonhee.” She waved and walked her way home.

Yeonhee watched her friend’s silhouette to be out of her sight first before she dropped her smile. She is sure that she is very happy a while ago when GaEun gave her a gift and even prepared a cake for her. She is a hundred percent sure that she is the happiest when they shared eating the cake and the bread and fresh brewed coffee that Gwangsu gave her. But despite of those, her thought keeps on coming back to square 1. She needs to wait. But until when she needs to wait for things to go back to normal?

“I wish… for my birthday, that things will go back to normal. That time that I am just happily stalking them from my window with GaEun. That time where I am just a helper on Grandpa Park’s house. I cannot understand why things seems so complicated right now.” She lowered her head and heaved deep sigh.

She started walking up until the bus station that will take her to their place. Even while riding the bus, she keeps on spacing out. Until when she will do this? Until when she will be filled up with thoughts about how she can be back to normal? She just wishes that it can still be back to normal. Without having to hurt anyone and without having to change anything.

When the bus reaches the right stop, she went down. A few more walks until she reaches their village. A few more walks until she reaches their house. She is brainwashing herself that she needs to be cheerful and happy today especially she knows that her mom cooked for her. The never-ending seaweed soup every year on her birthday. The chocolate cake from the bakery nearby their village and the spaghetti that her mom is cooking exceptionally during her birthday.

She smiles at the thought of those food that she will be able to eat once she got home. As soon as she got a sight of their house, she walked faster. She took bigger steps and reached their house with the biggest smile that she has ever worn for today.

“Eomma! Gwangsu-ya! I’m home!” She shouted when she reached the gates of their house. She rushed and opened their house’s door to find no one.

“Eyyy. That’s impossible. Mom! Are you currently in the kitchen? Going there right now! I’m craving to eat seaweed soup—” and she finds no one as well. She checked their table just to see if there’s any prepared food for her. She mentally slaps her forehead, in case that she is imagining too much a while ago, she will really disappoint herself.

Before she left the table, she saw a yellow note.

I cooked something. In case you did not find anything in the kitchen then your brother might have snatched it and brought everything on his tent. Go hunt him instead. I just need to go somewhere really quick.

Eomma.

“I KNEW IT! Aish. That beggar!” She then marched towards their yard where Gwangsu’s tent is at. The moment she opened the door for their backyard, she thought that her blood was flushed out of her body when she heard a gunshot like sound.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY YEONHEE!”

She uncovers herself and first thought why there are so many voices. She was welcomed with smiles coming from them. She wasn’t able to count but she thinks that all of them are there.

“Yah! Yeonhee are you going to stand there? Come join us here!” GAEUN. She’s with them and might be one of the persons who planned this surprise.

“AIGOO INCHEON-TTAE, LONG TIME NO SEE!” She was initially greeted by Chen when she started walking towards them.

“Y-yeah. It’s been a long time.” She shyly approached him and tapped his hand who’s waiting for a high five from her.

“And I wish you a happy birthday, too! Please enjoy the food. We prepared it for you.” Sehun said who next greeted her.

“Thank you. I didn’t know what I did to you guys to prepare this for me.” She said.

“Noona, I prepare a gift for you. Here.” Kai greeted her next and passed her a small paper bag in color pink.

“Oh, thank you! You guys prepared all of these. I think giving me a gift is not necessary. But thank you!” She smiled at him and other members like Lay, Xiumin, Suho and Baekhyun went to her to especially greet her and some even gave her presents.

“Here’s my gift for you. Happy birthday, Yeonhee.” She looked up. And her smile suddenly faded, but it shouldn’t. So, she tried to force another smile and reached for the box that he gave.

“Thank you! You’ve all been so busy and I appreciate you guys preparing this for me and even giving gifts.”

And their surroundings suddenly stopped from buzzing. Obviously, they catch some attention.

“What the… when did those two…” Suho thought.

Xiumin went beside Baekhyun to tap his back and say, “it’s okay.”

“Mwoya, hyung.” He whispered.

“Oh, neh Kyungsoo. What? Why can’t the taxi go inside the village?” She shifted her gaze from Chanyeol to Chen who’s loudly talking on the phone even if he didn’t mean to.

“Ohh. R-right. I knew it that someone is missing. Sorry, our village suddenly don’t want taxis to enter here. They only allow home owners and cars with sticker as pass.” She walked pass Chanyeol and went near Chen who’s talking with D.O.

“Can you tell him that I will meet him on the gates?” She said.

“Uh… s-sure. Yah Kyungsoo, Incheon-ttae said that she will meet you there. Oh?” He faced her again after covering the phone. “He said it’s okay.”

“No. tell him I will meet him. I’m going now.” She hurriedly placed all of the gifts that she received on one chair at the side and rushed to go out of the space where they prepared the surprise for Yeonhee.

Chanyeol was dumbfounded. Did she just slapped him with what’s going on between her and Kyungsoo?

“Yah… yah, JI YEON—”

“I’ll follow her.” Baekhyun said after grabbing his jacket and immediately left the backyard to follow Yeonhee.

“I knew it that this is not a good idea.” Suho whispered but didn’t expect that Lay heard him.

“Why not? This is fun because we created a party for Incheon-ttae! I missed this place, too. And Chanyeol’s Granpa’s house. Can we stay there for tonight?” Good thing it was Lay. Suho sighed.

“Yeah. I think so. Stay and eat here. I just need to talk to her friend for a moment.” He seriously said and went to GaEun who’s smiles are suppressed and eyes are twinkling.

“You’re Yeonhee’s friend, right?”

“Neh oppa!” she exclaimed and when she realized that she is too obvious. “I m-mean, y-yes. Yes, I am Yeonhee’s best friend. Why?” She added.

Suho first nod and gave a short bow. “Hi. If it’s okay, can you… can you follow those two? You know, we cannot be seen roaming around the place because we are public figures.”

GaEun immediately stood up and placed her food on the table near her. “Sure! No problem!” and after that, she left.

Suho followed her exiting out just by looking at her. Xiumin on the other hand, noticed how Suho’s mood turned serious after seeing how their members acted a while ago. Xiumin approached Suho greeting him with his usual grin.

“Hey! You okay?”

He first sighed. “Yeah, why?”

“Woah. I think not. Should we talk?” Xiumin dragged him on the side while the others are busy eating and chatting with each other.

YEONHEE DIDN’T EVEN realized that she left their house while wearing her house slippers. She even has her backpack hooked on her back.

“W-what in the world is happening.” She pressed her hands against her chest. “I thought my heart will jump out of my chest a while ago.” She shakes her head. “I… I think I am just nervous because it’s been a long time since the last time that I met all of them. Right. And also, I think I’m just pressured. That’s correct! They just gave me a big surprise.” She said, trying to convince herself. She inhaled deep and breathe out all of the air she took in.

“By the way, I wonder if he started walking from the gates. Should I contact him?” She said and reached out for her phone. Before she could even dial, she heard humming from her back.

“Anyeong naege dagawa. Sujubeun hyanggireul angyeo judeon neo.” She stopped walking. She heard gliding shoes on the pavement behind her.

“Huimihan kkumsogeseo. Nuni bushi deorok banjjagyeosseo.” She turns around and saw Baekhyun walking towards her.

“Baekhyun-ssi?” her brows furrowed while squinting at Baekhyun’s silhouette getting clearer.

“Seolleime nado moreuge, hanbaldubal nege dagaga… Neoye gyeote nama.” He sings some more and he stopped in front of her and reached for his pants pockets. “Neoye misoe nae maeumi noganaeryeo, nuni majuchyeosseulttaen dugeungeoryeo. Oh, neoye gaseume nae misoreul gieokhaejwo haruedo myeokbeonssikk saenggakhaejwo. Oh, noege hago sipeun geu mal, you’re beautiful”

Yeonhee looked at him wondering why he is singing. “AHHHH. Right!” hammering her hand on her palm. “That song! You sang that song, it’s your voice!” she smiled upon realizing. “But, why are you suddenly singing that?”

“I didn’t know it was your birthday. I wasn’t even able to prepare a gift just like the others. Ja! Singing it live in front of you as a special performance. How’s that as a birthday gift?” he said and smiled.

Yeonhee clapped continuously while giggling. And the moment slows down for Baekhyun. His smile slowly faded. He doesn’t know if he missed this weird feeling that seems to be uncontrollable anymore. The drumming on his chest seems to be unstoppable and the smile on her face that is just for him that minute is what he wants to continue seeing every time.

“That’s so beautiful! Gomawoyo, I like it!”

“I like you too.”

She continued clapping but her smile starts to drop. Then she stops clapping.

Baekhyun blinks multiple times. DID HE JUST… “Oh—” he covered his mouth. His heart just jumped out of his chest.

“No. I m-mean, I like it too! A-as a gift for you. R-right! H-HEHE. Yeah. A g-gift. Y-you know… uhm… I…” he literally slapped his forehead. “Yep. I screwed up. Sorry.” And averted his eyes away from her.

~*~*~*~*~*~

*SQUEELS*

Baekhyun screwed up again. Bye.