Fate Is Funny

Don’t Be Happy

Moonbyul pouted at the girl in front of her. “Why can’t I come?”

 

Wheein patted Moonbyul, “Because you’re gonna tease me afterwards~”

 

Because you’re gonna distract me.’ When thought to herself.

 

Moonbyul’s bottom lip stuck out more and she grabbed the younger girl’s hand to continue to persuade her. “No I won’t~~”

 

The day before, after she visited the producer. She went to their company to inform their CEO, and then went home and called her girlfriend. Moonbyul made plans to ‘be in the neighborhood’ and eventually go with the dimpled girl to her audition.

 

Wheein tried her best to stay firm, trying hard to ignore the pouting lips of the girl beside her. “No.”

 

Moonbyul kept the pout on her lips as she gently grabbed both side of Wheein’s face and made her face her. “Pleeeeeeaseeee~”

 

Forced to look at the pout, Wheein’s determination vanished at the look on Moonbyul’s face.

 

“Mmmm…Fine!” Wheein gave in.

 

Moonbyul leaned in and connected her smiling lips to the pouting lips on the younger girl.

 

As soon as their lips touched, Wheein closed her eyes as she felt a sudden explosion of feelings in her chest. The silver-haired girl pulled away and Wheein immediately missed the softness of Moonbyul’s lips.

 

When Wheein’s eyes fluttered open, the sight before her just did more damage to her chest.

 

Moonbyul’s eyes were crescent shaped, she had her nose wrinkled, and her wide grin showing her gums, dimples on her cheeks, and a tinge of pinkness on her cheeks that wasn’t previously there. It was a completely overwhelming sight and made Wheein fall harder for the girl.

 

Moonbyul might be greasy but she still had her shyness to add to her personality. Which means they’ve kissed only twice…three times if you include this time.

 

Moonbyul wrapped her arms around Wheein, being shy about what she herself initiated. Wheein just laughed and hugged the older girl back.

 

“Ok, ok, Byulie we have to go…I might be late to the audition.” Wheein didn’t want to end their moment together, in fact all she wanted to do was lay in bed and cuddle with her Moonbyul, but she knew they needed to go.

 

Moonbyul had buried her face on Wheein’s shoulder, so the younger girl felt it when the silver-haired girl nodded in response. She loosened her embrace, but not completely as one hand slid down and grabbed one of Wheein’s hands.

 

Wheein could hear Moonbyul give a satisfied sigh, and couldn’t help the smile that formed on her own lips.

 

“Let’s go~” Moonbyul led the way out.

.

.

.

.

.

 

MBC Building:

 

Three producers sat behind a table while they watched people give their best audition. There was two girls and one guy, the guy was the main producer, Lee Ki-Hyun, on his right was the script writer, Han Sejeong, and the girl on his left, Noh Soyeon was the co-producer.

 

All three had previously worked with Moonbyul and was charmed by how ethical and talented the girl was. They all had a soft spot for the silver-haired actress. Ki-Hyun had told the other three of the conversation and the potential actress that Moonbyul had suggested. They all hoped that Moonbyul wasn’t just being biased.

 

“Bring in the next girl, please.” Sejeong asked the staff.

 

After a few minutes, a knock came at the door.

 

“Come in, please.” Ki-Hyun said while looking through the paperwork.

 

The door opened to reveal a girl with dark brown hair with bangs. She smiled at the producers and gave a low polite bow.

 

“Hello, my name is Jung Wheein.” She said politely, letting her dimple show.

 

The producers greeted her and smiled at the girl. They all thought that the girl was beautiful and compatible with the main star so they knew the pair would look great next to each other. The dimple on her cheek adding an adorable effect on the producers.

 

“Did you prepare yourself well?” Ki-Hyun asked still smiling at the girl.

 

Wheein nodded enthusiastically and stood up. “Yes sir!”

 

“Alright, go ahead.” Soyeon said gesturing for the girl to start.

 

“I’ll read Nayoung's lines. Let’s do the part where Hyerin breaks up with Nayoung.” Sejeong said taking the script out. (Nayoung-Moonbyul; Hyerin-Wheein)

 

“Hyerin-ah.” Sejeong read plainly.

 

Wheein gave a sad smile looking at Sejeong, she imagined it was Moonbyul instead. “Nayoung-ah…”

 

“Have you—what’s wrong?” Sejeong continued.

 

Wheein shook her head but still displayed the same smile.

 

“Hey…” Sejeong read again.

 

Wheein looked down and she looked genuinely ashamed. “I’m sorry…” She whispered. Ki-Hyun leaned in, the girl’s acting capturing his attention. She was able to grasp the feeling of the scene easily and perfectly.

 

“What was that, Hyerin-ah?”

 

Wheein continued looking down. “I’m sorry, Nayoung-ah…” She said more audible, but still quiet as if scared to say it out loud. Soyeon also looked on in interest as Wheein’s voice tone and projection was also very impressive.

 

“Sorry? What are you sorry for?” Sejeong’s monotone voice said in turn.

 

“I-I…” Wheein finally looked up and there were tears in her eyes, threatening to come out. “I can’t be with you anymore.” A tear slid down as she said the last word.

 

Wheein was really imagining breaking up with Moonbyul and that’s how she managed to start crying. She couldn’t imagine letting Moonbyul go. More tears came down as thought of the scene as if it were real life.

 

The producers nodded their approval. “Well done, Wheein-ssi.” Sejeong said liking Wheein’s performance. They told Wheein to sit down and handed her some tissue to wipe away her tears. 

 

“Have you acted before?” Soyeon asked.

 

Wheein shook her head shyly. “This will actually be my first one…”

 

Ki-Hyun’s eyebrows raised, impressed at the acting just a few moments ago. “You actually did very well, you have a lot of potential.”

 

They asked a few more questions and then let Wheein leave.

 

Wheein had bowed politely before leaving and even with watery eyes she was still able to give them a genuine bright smile.

 

The producers discussed how the feelings Wheein was able to produce was great. They would be able to work with that. They also discussed how good they would look good together on screen. Of course, they had to have good looks to consider, both Moonbyul and Wheein were head-turners. They were glad that Moonbyul wasn't just being biased, and they thought that the audition with Wheein was executed well. 

.

.

.

.

.

 

Moonbyul’s POV:

 

I banged my head again the seat in the company car. I was stuck waiting outside, while Wheein did her audition. I believe in her and I know that she’s talented enough to do well, but it doesn’t mean I won’t worry for her.

 

The door slid open to reveal a puffy-eyed Wheein. She got into the car and closed the car door. 

 

My blood boiled seeing Wheein’s red eyes.

 

Before I could say a word, Wheein held my face with her soft hands and gave me a peck on the lips. Which made me feel better and calmer but also made my cheeks feel warm.

 

Wheein giggled and confirmed my assumption that she could feel how warm my cheeks were.

 

“Unnie~” She said rubbing her nose on the crook of my neck. Which made matters worse for me, and made feel like a burning tomato.

 

“Wheein-ah~” I whined at her teasing.

 

Wheein just laughed and as much as I feel embarrassed about the teasing. When her dimple made appearances, it just made my heart soar.

 

“How come when you’re being greasy, you’re confident, but when I do it to you…you turn into a tomato~?” Wheein continued to tease.

 

I just gave a small smile, until I realized why she kissed me in the first place. “Wait a minute…why are your eyes so red?” I made her face me while I held her face between my hands.

 

Wheein giggled again. “I was acting~”

 

“Oh…” I said in realization. I forgot she just came from an audition. Which was really stupid of me since I’ve done it before. I’ve come to a few auditions and left with my eyes red from years. I was so caught up in Wheein’s crying image that I forgot momentarily. “W-Well, how’d it go?”

 

Wheein shrugged. “They said I had potential, so I guess it was fine… but I’m not sure…”

 

I gave her a hug, “I’m sure you did well.” I let her go, but still held on to her hand. “Are you hungry?”

 

Wheein gave another dimpled smile and nodded.

 

“Then let’s go~!” I said tapping her on the nose gently.

.

.

.

.

.

 

Back to the Auditions:

 

Another knock came at the door.

 

“Yes, come in.” Sejeong said this time.

 

Another girl, this time with light brown hair, a bright smile also with dimples but instead of the cheeks it was just below the corners of the girl’s lips.

 

“Hello, my name is Kim Yongsun, also known as Solar.” Solar politely bowed and greeted the producers.

 

The producers noted the similarities with Wheein and this girl. They knew this girl was also a singer. They were both brunettes, one dark, one light. They both had dimples, just different places. They were both bubbly. They knew this girl would be a good candidate for either Hyerin, Nayoung’s past girlfriend, or Sehyeon, Nayoung’s future girlfriend.

 

Ki-Hyun smiled and gestured for her to sit.

 

Solar smiled and obediently followed.

 

They also found out that it was going to be Solar’s first time acting. They decided to try the same exact scene that they did with Wheein, Sejeong reading the same lines again.

 

Solar stood up also.

 

“Hyerin-ah.”

 

Solar gave a sad smile. She thought of Byul-yi as she looked at Sejeong. This time the producers felt a stronger feeling coming out from Solar, it seemed more raw.

 

“Nayoung-ah…”

 

“Have you—what’s wrong?” The same lines given again.

 

Solar looked Sejeong right in the eyes, but they could see that Solar’s eyes were already watery. Solar shook her head gently, but looking down afterwards.

 

“Hey…”

 

“…” A kind of sad silence creeped into the room and became more sad when Solar’s quiet voice came out. “I’m sorry…”

 

“What was that Hyerin-ah?”

 

“I’m sorry…” It was still quiet, but this time Solar’s voice cracked.

 

“Sorry? What are you sorry for?”

 

Solar finally looked up and she had tears sliding down both her cheeks. She gave Sejeong a sad look, letting the atmosphere build for a few seconds.

 

“I…I can’t…” Solar let her head drop sullenly. “…be with you anymore…”

 

The producers let the sadness in the air consume them. All you can hear in the room is Solar’s sniffling in front of the producers.

 

“T-Thank you.” Solar bowed while wiping away her tears.

 

They told her to sit down and talked to her a bit more, holding their tongues for group discussions later without the singer.

.

.

.

.

.

 

HwaSun’s Home:

 

Hyejin was laying on the couch, watching the latest episode of Running Man. She laughed along to what HaHa said. Then she heard the entrance door open, she stood up and ran to the door to greet her unnie.

 

“Unnie~!” She said enthusiastically.

 

When the door opened, her bright unnie wasn’t at the door it was a puffy-eyed, sulky stranger with features that resembled her unnie. “U-Unnie?”

 

Yongsun smiled to see Hyejin opening the door,  she saw the younger girl’s face fall, she realized she must look like a mess. She waved it off, as she realized the younger girl worried for her.

 

“I got carried away while acting!!” Yongsun said trying to tell her dongsaeng.

 

“Oh ok…” Hyejin knew it must have been hard for her unnie to bring up the feelings she’s been trying to ignore. “How was it?” she said trying to change the subject.

 

Yongsun shrugged. “I can never be too sure, especially since that was my first audition for a drama.” She took off her shoes and slipped on the slippers meant for her. “But they said I did pretty well for my first time.”

 

Hyejin nodded. She knew Yongsun-unnie had potential, there was fan-meet where she acted a little scene. Hyejin had pretended to act embarrassed for her unnie, but in reality she was actually a little impressed how Yongsun was able to remember and act the scene. “What was the scene about?”

 

Yongsun narrowed her eyes at the younger girl as she plopped onto the couch.

 

Hyejin grinned as she slid next to her unnie. “I’m curious~”

 

When she came back from her schedule the night before, Yongsun had told her and the manager that she was willing to audition. Their manager had given her unnie the script and Yongsun-unnie started memorizing right away, but Hyejin was too tired so she wasn’t able to help.

 

Yongsun giggled but nodded. “The scene had my auditioned character, Kim Hyerin, and the main character, Ha Nayoung.” She laid back and looked up at the ceiling. “In the scene, my character breaks up with Nayoung.”

 

Hyejin gasped dramatically. “Why?”

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes at her dongsaeng’s antics. “Because Nayoung’s mom told Hyerin that she was going to disown Nayoung if Hyerin doesn’t break up with her.”

 

Hyejin gasped even louder. This time, the older girl couldn’t help but laughed as she sat up.

 

“I think I might like this drama unnie, do you know which actress is playing Nayoung?” Hyejin asked curiously, wanting to put a face to the main character.

 

Yongsun thought for a second trying to remember if the producers or any of the staff mentioned who the main actress was going to be. But eventually shook her head, as she realized that she had no idea. Instead she remembered someone who had been in the waiting room, practicing lines.

 

“Though I remember seeing another idol practicing lines…” Yongsun said with a sly smile.

 

Hyejin pouted and tilted her head. “Do I know her?”

 

In turn, the brunette’s smile got wider. “Jung Whee-in~”

 

Hyejin blushed hearing the name, and the older girl giggled at the pink on the tan girl’s cheek.

 

Ever since Yongsun found out that Hyejin had a crush on a fellow idol, she teased the younger girl nonstop. They couldn’t meet the solo singer, because their schedule hasn’t overlapped with Wheein’s.

 

From what they know, people say that she is sweet and has a lot of aegyo. Yongsun was looking through Youtube, and there was a lot of ‘Recommended’ videos with Wheein. That’s how the older girl found out about Hyejin’s crush.

 

“I hope you’re still rooting for me~” Yongsun said teasingly.

 

Hyejin hugged her unnie. “Of course, but if Wheein gets the role, I’m still watching it~”

 

Yongsun playfully pushed the younger girl away. “Yeah, I thought so~”

 

“When do you find out?”

 

“The staff said the producers will call me theirselves if I get any part in the drama.” Yongsun said lying back down. “Press play~” She added pointing to the TV.

 

Hyejin complied and sat comfortably on the couch.

 

Back to the Producers:

 

After Solar left, the producers had a few more auditions to go through.

 

The next actresses and other girls were a little disappointing if anyone compared them to Jung Wheein and Solar. The producers couldn’t get the two girls out of their head.

 

After the last girl left, the producers were left to discuss. They knew the two girls were going to be in the drama, but they couldn’t decide who was going to be Moonbyul’s main co-star.

 

Ki-Hyun let out an exhale. “This is going to be tough.” He looked at two pictures on their table.

 

“They’re both suitable for either Hyerin or Sehyeon.” Soyeon added.

 

“And they’re both very talented…” Sejeong stated.

 

Ki-Hyun bit his lip, racking his brain for solutions. He stared at the pictures, giving each a long hard stare. While he looked at one of the pictures, a bulb went off as if his instincts were telling him that this was his other main actress.

 

He put his hands on it. “This one…” He lifted the photo. “I can feel it.”

 

Sejeong and Soyeon looked at each other but nodded in agreement.

 

“Solar will be our Kim Hyerin.” Ki-Hyun announced finally.