Eight

The Royal Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Double update!

 

It was on that last stressful day where Ahri found herself in her bedroom at the palace—which was right next to the Prince’s, looking out the window. The people had moved on from their loss of their beloved king, and were now euphoric for the upcoming royal wedding. Ahri could see it from the way the news reported all over the television. She too, was a tad bit excited, but the majority of her being was aptly nervous.

Jaehyun had been wonderful, as always, and he had been supportive. After the talk they had by the fountain, things seemed to move back to the way it was before they even kissed. The kiss itself never happened again, and Ahri was thankful for it.

But these days the Prince had been busy with his duty that he was barely present with her during her test days. She didn’t blame him with that, but she just wished she had somebody to be there and support her along the way. That was why she called for Chaeyoung to come to the Palace.

Being one of Lucretia’s most renowned businessman’s daughter, Chaeyoung had the opportunity to step foot inside the Palace once before. It was when the late King and Queen had invited all of Lucretia’s successful businessmen and women to a tribute party.

And later that afternoon, Ahri and Chaeyoung were having a lunch at the patio. Ahri was still slightly exhausted, because she could barely sleep for the past three days.

“But the Queen threw out the hardest question of all,” Ahri said, picking on her meat.

“And what was that?” Chaeyoung asked.

“She basically asked what I will do if ever a riot or coup happens in this country?”

Chaeyoung swallowed her food with wide eyes. “That’s some serious stuff…”

“Yeah, I figured that since a lot of people doubt Jaehyun’s ability to rule the kingdom, this scenario has been considered a possibility,” Ahri stated.

“What did you say, then?”

“Well, I trust Jaehyun wholly, with his ability to control everything. But I also have my own principal, which aims towards the best of this country. And if I think the King is doing something that won’t put the country’s best interest first, I will not hesitate to put my thoughts out front.”

Chaeyoung stared at her friend in awe. She had never thought that her shy, soft hearted friend will be sitting here inside the palace talking about politics with her. And engaged to the Prince for that matter.

“I’m really glad for that answer,” Jaehyun’s voice suddenly appeared from behind her, followed by a brief kiss on the temple.

“Jaehyun!” Ahri gasped in surprise, glancing back to find him grinning from ear to ear.

Ahri was not the only person who was flustered. Chaeyong, who was sitting next to Ahri, was also blushing at the sight of the handsome Prince.

“Um, Jaehyun, this is my best friend Park Chaeyoung, Chaeyoung, this is Prince Jaehyun…”

Chaeyoung immediately got up from her seat, putting the napkin on the table in haste before bowing 90 degrees towards the Prince. “Your Highness…”

Jaehyun on the other hand, offered his hand for a shake. “Nice to meet you, Miss Park.”

“You too, Your Highness…”

“You can call me Jaehyun,” he smiled, putting a hand on Ahri’s shoulder. “Any best friend of Ahri’s is my friend too. Anyways,” he then turned to Ahri, “I’ve come to tell you that the wedding crew wanted to talk to us later.”

“Oh, of course,” she smiled at him. “Have you had lunch yet? Do you want to join us?”

“I actually have a lunch appointment with Youngho.”

“Oh,” Ahri couldn’t hide her disappointment. And she wasn’t sure if Jaehyun could see it or not.

“I’ll see you at the library after lunch, yeah?”

“Alright,” Ahri replied.

Jaehyun then left with small wave of goodbye towards Chaeyoung. Once he was gone, Chaeyoung sat back down and couldn’t help but giggle.

“You two are cute, do you know that?”

“Cute?” Ahri raised her eyebrows, not expecting that comment.

“Yeah…” she then went back to her meal. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that you two have been dating for a long time,” Chaeyoung exaggerated as she took a sip from her wine. “I can’t believe the wedding is in three days!” Chaeyong gasped after swallowing. “Aren’t you nervous?”

Nervous could never begin to describe it. Ahri was also hesitant, and scared. “I’m fine… Just another day of realizing that I’m going to be the Queen… I’m sure everybody has been through that,” Ahri attempted at a joke.

Chaeyoung laughed at that, lifting her glass back up for a sip.

Ahri then she remembered a few days prior at the maze fountain, when Jaehyun suddenly professed his feelings towards her. She hadn’t had the time to tell her friend because she was focused on the upcoming test. And now, she really wanted to tell Chaeyoung everything because she wasn’t sure how to feel.

“Chaey,” she called. “Jaehyun told me he was in love with me…”

Chaeyong nearly choked on her drink, but she managed to swallow the liquid before taking a huge breath. “What?! When?!”

“A few days ago,” Ahri tucked a hair behind her ear.

“What did you say, then?” Chaeyoung asked with wide eyes.

“I… I didn’t say anything… I just told him that I care about him.”

“Ahri, seriously…” Chaeyoung sighed exasperatedly.

“We were in the middle of a heavy tension, Chaey, I was taken aback when he said that to me,” Ahri looked down at her plate, playing with the food on it.

“Tension? What happened?”

Ahri then recalled the happenings at the late King’s sermon. She mentioned how she despised Yerim, how she cried because she was fed up with her taunting words, and how Jaehyun suddenly kissed breathless. “Everything changed after that kiss, Chaey. I feel like things inside my head is all scrambled up now…”

“Is it good scrambled up or bad scrambled up?”

The Lady shrugged, “I’m not sure…”

“Hmm,” Chaeyoung looked at her best friend closely. “Something else is bothering your mind, is it?”

Ahri looked up at her friend. She could read her too well like the back of his hand. “Jaehyun said that he will make sure whether the baby really is his or not. But I’m nervous… I’ve been so convinced that it’s not his baby. But… what if it is?”

She hated feeling like this, but she could not help it. Her feelings towards Jaehyun had grown, and jealousy could not help but grow along those feelings.

Chaeyoung reached ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter