Four

The Royal Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was the weekend, and Ahri was scheduled for a late breakfast with the Prince. But this time, the Queen herself was going to join the two. It made her nervous, especially when she found out that Jaehyun had to be late because of something he had to tend to, and that meant she was going to be alone with the Queen.

Queen Jessica was known for her coldness. Having born in a strict family, she was always behaved. And she expected the same thing with her children, and of course, her future daughter-in-law. Ahri was just afraid that she wouldn’t see to her expectations.

She had never been alone with the Queen, and the last time she interacted with her was when her family visited a few weeks ago before the engagement.

“Ahri,” the Queen called.

“Good morning, Your Majesty,” Ahri bowed.

The Queen sauntered towards her, and pulled her in a brief hug once she was in front of her, giving a brief kiss on her cheek. “Good morning, darling. Let’s go to the patio,” the Queen said with a smile. “Jaehyunnie will join us in half an hour or so. He is still attending a breakfast meeting with the Dukes.”

“I suppose he’s meeting with his friends?” Ahri inquired, as they neared the patio.

“Yes, they are planning a bachelor party or some sort,” the Queen answered as she took a seat by the comfy chair.

“Sounds like fun,” Ahri smiled.

The Queen merely smiled back, but it seemed a little tight.

The patio was just outside the sitting room, which was by the common wing of the palace. It was looking out at the yard where the maze that Ahri and Prince Jaehyun once went to was at. Blondie and Blackie was currently playing around the yard, one of the staffs playing fetch with them.

Once the two women sat down, the maids immediately rushed to serve the food on the trays in front of them. Today, they were serving the usual carbs—pancakes and waffles, with some maple syrup, butter, cinnamon and cocoa powder on the side. They also served some fruits with honey, and a pitcher of orange juice.

It was quite a lot for just two people. But then again, just like Jaehyun, the Queen liked to have some options when it came to food.

“I always let him spend time with his friend when he has the chance,” the Queen spoke as she draped the napkin on her lap. “He might not have that luxury once he replaces his father…”

Ahri watched as the Queen’s face faltered slightly, remembering the ill condition of her husband’s. “How is the King, Your Majesty?”

“He’s… the doctors aren’t very optimistic,” the Queen started filling her small bowl with some fresh fruits. “His heart is weakening every day, and there seems to be not much that the doctor team can do. Jaehyun is aware of this. But we don’t want to spend our time with the King feeling sad and remorseful, so we try to make him happy.”

“I’m very sorry…” Ahri couldn’t seem to find a more rightful words towards the situation. She had only met the King once after the engagement, and that was during the party. Back then, the King was nothing but cheerful, looking at her eyes full of endearment.

“He is happy, though,” the Queen said.

Ahri glanced at the Queen in the midst of plating herself with a stack of waffle.

“And do you know why?” A soft smile began to appear on the Queen’s face. “Becacuse he sees how happy Jaehyun is.”

That brought a smile on Ahri’s face itself.

“I can feel that too…” the Queen continued to pour some honey on her fruits. “When I first proposed this marriage to Jaehyun, I expected him to refuse. But I was surprised when he chose you. And then I figured, he probably picked you because the King and I are close with your parents. But after seeing him with you these past couple of weeks, I can tell that that’s probably not the only reason.”

Ahri couldn’t help but blush at the Queen’s words. It seemed like people were pointing out towards her things that she didn’t realize were happening, and it made her feel this nervous feeling inside of her stomach.

And then surprisingly, the Queen leaned forward to her, “He likes you, Ahri…”

She wasn’t expecting that. And it only managed to make her feel more nervous—shy even.

“And judging by your reaction, I can tell that you like him too, no?” it sounded like the Queen was teasing her right now.

But when Ahri looked up, the Queen was still looking at her as if waiting for her answer. “The Prince is…” Ahri nervously tucked a hair behind her ear. She was questioned by her future mother-in-law about her relationship with her future husband. What could be more nerve wrecking than that? “Jaehyun is such a kind person, and I feel like I’m being taken good care of whenever I’m with him. Although, I’m not sure about the part where he likes me, Your Majesty, I mean, we have only been together for a month…” she trailed slowly.

The Queen merely smiled. “I think I’ve tortured you enough, haven’t I?” she chuckled. “Enjoy your breakfast, my dear.”

And then the two continued to eat their breakfast. Occasionally, Queen Jessica would speak of the wedding preparation. She told Ahri that her mother and her had dealt with everything, including the wedding dress. The Queen said that the two mothers were originally going to let her decide on her own dress, but time was off the essence. So they were going to have her dress done in a few days, and then she would decide if she wanted to change some bits of it.

Ahri was nothing short of grateful. In fact, she felt a tad guilty that she didn’t have a chance to help prepare her own wedding. She wished that she could take some of the burden with her, but the queen dismissed her, saying that the two mothers themselves actually enjoyed it, especially her mother.

“Good morning, ladies,” Jaehyun’s voice came from behind the two ladies.

The Prince appeared in his usual white shirt and dress pants, but this time he wasn’t wearing a tie, making him look a little more casual. He also had one button opened. Ahri thought that he looked a lot younger looking like this, and she figured he must have been having a great time with his friends.

Jaehyun leaned down and gave a peck to the Queen’s cheek before giving one to Ahri’s temple. He then took a seat right next to Ahri, scooting his chair a little close so that he could round his arm around her chair. “What are you having?” he asked, but his eyes were on her face.

“Waffles?” Ahri glanced at the Prince, feeling slightly confused of his newly found cheery attitude.

“Hmm,” he smiled at her, “Is it good?”

“Mmhmm?” Ahri was still looking at him. “You look awfully energized this morning?”

Jaehyun let out a low laugh, raking a hand through his hair. Ahri found herself wanting to rake her own hand through that hair of his.

“It’s been a long time since I hung out with my friends, I just feel… refreshed…”

“I hope you haven’t been drinking at this early hour, Jaehyunnie,” the Queen reprimanded, but her eyes were on the food in front of her, picking at the pancakes.

Jaehyun glanced at Ahri, raising his eyebrows with a wide grin.

Ahri gasped slightly, “Have you been drinking?” she whispered to him.

Jaehyun lifted his hand and mumbled, “A little bit?”

Ahri was about to reprimand him too, but his cheeky grin was growing on her. He was so close with her that she noticed his eyes turned into slits when he smiled like this. And she was liking it. Probably too much.

So she laughed along with him.

That little bit of drinking obviously explained his cheery attitude this morning.

The breakfast went by. The Queen’s main reason to join them for breakfast was apparently to discuss the wedding matters. They had already set the team for this, but the Queen wanted to update them on the important things.

The wedding was going to be set exactly thirty days from today, at the Palatial Church, the exact place where the King and Queen used to be married. That was probably the only single thing that had been at default so far. It was one of the monarch’s tradition that all the prince and princesses to be wedded at the Palatial Church, witnessed by the parliament.

The dress was still mysterious, but the Queen was excited to show Ahri. The ring bearer was going to be Jaehyun’s little niece. “She’s my cousin Seah’s daughter, Jaesi, she’s two years old. You’re going to love her,” Jaehyun said with a loving smile. It was apparent to Ahri that Jaehyun adored his niece.

“Oh, they’re actually going to visit today,” the Queen said. “Seah said she wanted to meet Ahri,” she said, glancing at Ahri.

“Ugh…” Ahri heard Jaehyun groan loudly from beside her, making her turn to him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter