Thirteen

The Royal Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your Majesty, here is the flight schedule that you requested.”

Doyoung handed the tablet that contained a list of the Royal Air’s available flights. There were a lot of empty slots, but they were mostly reserved for the King’s alternative flight schedule. Jaehyun was scheduled to visit several borders for the next couple of weeks. And the Royal staff always had backup plans for every itinerary.

In other words, it was not easy to sneak out of the country without noticing at least the head of staff from the Palace.

Ahri sank in her seat, rubbing her forehead in distress. She really wanted to see Lee Jeno and found out about everything. But it seemed almost impossible at the moment. If she wanted to, she could sneak away and get on a commercial flight, but that would give the entire security team a hard time, and would risk Jaehyun finding out eventually.

“May I ask what you are looking for, Your Majesty?” Doyoung asked from where he stood beside the Queen’s seat.

“I am planning for a trip to Japan, Doyoung, for a… personal matter…”

Doyoung seemed to get the occasion and asked carefully, “Without the King’s awareness?”

“Yes,” Ahri sighed, handing Doyoung back the tablet. “But it seems unlikely for me to make that trip.”

Ahri saw Doyoung fidgeted a little in his place after taking the electronic device. “Um, if I may ask, Your Majesty, is this ‘personal matter’ pertinent to Lady Kim’s situation?”

Ahri frowned at Doyoung. “How did you come to that conclusion?”

Nobody knew about the whole Lee Jeno case except for her and Yuta. And the fact that Doyoung found out about it gave her a slight insecurity.

Doyoung cleared his throat before answering, “Pardon me, Your Majesty, but Yuta actually informed me the whole situation. He took a few days off and is now on his way to Japan himself. He said he wanted to loop me in because he needs to reach you directly once he has the information he needs.”

In any other circumstance, Yuta might have been committing treason. Because Ahri had specifically ordered him not to disclose this matter to any other soul. But knowing that Yuta had initiatively took matters to his hands and flew to Japan himself, told Ahri that he had been nothing but loyal to her. Including Doyoung in might not be a mistake. Ahri had learned that Doyoung was just as loyal and could be trusted.

So she was glad she had these two men she could count on.

“Of course,” Ahri mumbled approvingly. “Well, then, Doyoung keep me informed if Yuta reaches out to you. And the King is not to be aware of this, do you understand?” Ahri warned him.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Doyoung bowed to the Queen.

 

≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈

 

A few days went by, but Yuta still didn’t bring any news.

And now, Jaehyun was starting to question the guard’s absence.

“I’ve noticed that Jungwoo has been with you all the time,” the King stated. They were both getting ready for the day at the walk-in closet. “Where’s Yuta?”

Ahri faltered a bit while fixing her necklace, staring at her husband’s back through her vanity mirror. She was glad that he couldn’t see her face now. “Um… he’s been doing some errands for me…”

“For three days?” Jaehyun finished buttoning up his shirt and turned around. He walked towards where Ahri was sitting. He reached around from behind and took his wrist watch.

“Yes,” Ahri barely muttered.

Jaehyun watched from the mirror. And Ahri could see something different in his eyes as he scrutinized her.

After a few moments, Jaehyun spoke, “Jungwoo’s a good guard, but I trust you more with Yuta because he’s the best,” the King then leaned down to give the Queen a peck on the cheek. “Just let the others do your errands, okay?” he raised his brows at the mirror.

Ahri let out a small smile in respond to Jaehyun’s subtle demand. “Yeah.”

Jaehyun was about to exit the closet but then he stopped his steps and turned around. “Sooyoung informed me that the test result is going to be delivered today,” he said.

The young Queen stopped what she was doing and gaped at her husband through the mirror. She didn’t know how to respond, but she was slightly anxious. She didn’t realize that it had been more than three weeks since they took Jaehyun’s DNA sample. And now, the result was ready to present itself.

Yet, she was still not ready for it. Now she really needed Yuta to come home with something in his hands.

“The legal team has already made a couple of settlement offers for Yerim.”

Ahri frowned and turned around to face Jaehyun, “Settlement?”

The latter nodded, “If the test result turns out to be negative, I want to take this to the court—”

“You’re going to sue her?” Ahri was taken aback.

But Jaehyun ignored her, “If it turns out positive, the lawyers are ready to give her a settlement, no matter the amount, as long as she doesn’t ask for a place for her son in the line of throne.”

“Wait a minute, we’re going to bribe her?!” Ahri’s voice was slightly raised. “Jaehyun, when did you decide all this? When have we ever talked about this?!”

Jaehyun stopped and gazed at the woman in front of him. “You’re not going to bribe her, I am. This is my mess, and I’m going to fix this.”

“We’re going to fix this,” she stood up and walked towards him, “Jaehyun you have to stop taking the burdens to yourself and let me in,” Ahri pleaded.

“Just like you let me in when you decided to track down Yerim’s ex-boyfriend?” Jaehyun asked with a rather calm voice, but Ahri was anything but calm.

Jaehyun never had judging eyes. Not even right now. But rather, the disappointment was very visible and it made Ahri faltered. “You knew?” she asked timidly.

“Of course I knew, Ri. I personally picked Yuta as your security detail, and now that he’s gone, you don’t think that’s going to raise some flag to me?”

Ahri pondered on this. She didn’t really tell Yuta to go—in fact she was the one who wanted to go in the first place. Of course, Yuta’s absence would be questioned, especially by Jaehyun. Ahri didn’t really think about this fact, but Yuta must’ve known. And it seemed like Yuta did this on purpose to bring the King in the loop without so much as disobeying the Queen’s order.

He was one really good Royal Guard, Ahri thought.

“Jaehyun, I…” she stepped forward again, but nothing seemed to come out of . She did not know why, but it seemed that she could not explain herself. “I’m sorry,” she whispered finally, “I’m sorry I kept this a secret from you…”

Jaehyun’s eyes were softer now, and he stepped closer to her, taking her face in his hand. “Darling, you know you can trust me on everything,” he said lowly, “I’m your husband now, and I want you to be able to tell me everything—every little thing that’s going on around you. I don’t care if it’s not important—you are important to me. Do you understand that?” he went down to her eye level and gazed at her.

The Queen nodded and once again apologized for keeping a secret from him. “I’m sorry, I’m just… I guess I was just concerned about the test results. And then I remembered Chaeyoung mentioning someone that used to date Lady Kim when she was in Japan, so I just asked Yuta to look for information on that guy,” she looked up at Jaehyun, “He found some information, and I told him I wanted to visit Lee Jeno…”

“Ahri—” Jaehyun sighed.

“I know, I know,” she cut him in an almost whiny tone, “But I’m just desperate for a lead, Jae. I can’t just sit around and wait for things to crumble down…” Ahri tried to hold in the shakiness in her voice.

“Come here,” and then Jaehyun pulled her to his embrace.

Ahri relished on the warmth of Jaehyun’s arms that always managed to make her calm.

“We’ll get through this, I promise,” the King said, kissing the Queen’s head.

They stayed that way for a few more moments before Ahri finally pulled herself away. “What time is the result going to be delivered?”

“I’m not sure, but I’ve cleared my schedule for the day, I want to see it as soon as the letter arrive.”

Ahri nodded, “I have something that cannot be canceled today. Promise you’ll call me when it’s here?”

“Of course, darling,” Jaehyun then leaned down to give her a soft kiss on the lips.

 

≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈♦♦♦≈

 

Ahri had never been this anxious before in her life. Never in a lifetime had she thought she would be in this position—waiting for a DNA test result to prove her husband’s illegitimate parenthood. It all sounded insane. Now that she thought about it, this thing had affected her so much, and it was not because of the disruption of the monarch line. It was because she couldn’t share Jaehyun. Now, she wouldn’t.

And that was because she loved him.

So, that evening, she stood at the study room, looking far at the window. She couldn’t stop fidgeting—biting her nails every now and then. She, along with Jaehyun, were waiting for Dr. Moon Taeil to come bearing the letter.

It felt like forever when it was only fifteen minutes long. But Ahri felt like she had waited for ages because of how tensed the entire room was. Jaehyun had barely spoken a word, and Ahri knew that he was just as nervous.

Finally, the door to the study room opened, and the two royals glanced at the entry. Sooyooung emerged from behind the door, followed by the doctor. In his hand was the white envelope with a logo on top of it.

Jaehyun was the first to make a move. Almost frantically, he walked towards where Taeil was standing. Ahri couldn’t help the loud thumping in her chest upon seeing Taeil’s face. He didn’t say anything, but his expression said it all. And it made it hard for Ahri to move from where she stayed rooted.

“Hyung, have you read it?” Jaehyun asked hoarsely.

Taeil didn’t answer, but Jaehyun didn’t need it to know what was the result. Instead, the doctor offered the King the envelope.

Jaehyun took the letter and saw that the seal had been ripped open. It meant that Taeil had seen it. And judging from his demeanor, Jaehyun was sure he wasn’t going to like the result. Nonetheless, he needed to see it himself.

He opened the letter, foregoing the many descriptions and explanations on top. He then moved to the second page, scanning quickly to reach the conclusion.

Ahri stood there, her arms hugging herself while one hand playing with the ring on her finger—her wedding ring. She scrutinized Jaehyun’s face for any indication. And she realized that Jaehyun stopped at the bottom part of the second page, and he read that over and over again. His face didn’t indicate what he was reading—he was stoic as he stared at something.

And then, after what seemed like infinity, the King slowly trailed his eyes to the Queen. And the Queen held her breath—bracing for impact.

“It’s a match…” she heard Jaehyun mumbled in the smallest voice ever. But because the silence was so deafening, Jaehyun’s voice almost felt booming.

No, Ahri thought. Her fist clenched hard and it trembled. She couldn’t say anything.

Jaehyun was bewildered. He glanced at Taeil for an answer, but the latter was looking down at his shoes as if he didn’t have the answer that the King demanded.

“This can’t be,” Jaehyun demanded, “My blood type doesn’t match with the baby’s… hyung you said…” he trailed, unable to finish his own sentence. He was at a loss for words.

“I said there’s still one percent chance that you’re the father, Jae,” Taeil looked up at the King.

Jaehyun could only gape at him.

“Did you supervise the procedure like I asked you to?”

The two men turned to the Queen, who was still standing by the window. She looked calmer than Jaehyun would’ve thought, but he knew better than that. If there was another person that was so affected by this other than himself, it was Ahri.

“I did,” Taeil answered. And then, after a pause, he added, “Forgive me, Your Majesty…” and then he bowed a full ninety degrees.

And that was it for Ahri. This was it. This was the thing that Ahri had been dreading. This was her nightmare coming to life.

There were no further words spoken inside the room, not even after Taeil stood straight up. Jaehyun could only stare at his wife, but Ahri could not seem to return his gaze. She could not face him at this moment. She didn’t think that the tears would be stoppable if she looked at him.

So, she decided to get out of the place. To get away from Jaehyun.

She faintly heard Jaehyun calling her name, but she didn’t stop. She didn’t rush either—she was just walking towards the door. She heard Jaehyun calling for her again once she was out of the study room, and then a hand pulled her shoulder around.

“Ahri—"

“Jaehyun, I’m sorry, I just…” she trailed, pushing Jaehyun’s chest weakly, but then retracted her hand quickly. “I just need a moment,” she covered and turned around, leaving him.

Jaehyun stood there frozen as he watched Ahri’s slumped figure retreating further away from him.

For the rest of the day, Ahri did not come see him. And Jaehyun did not search for her either. She’d told him she needed time, and he would give her all the time in the world. That was the least that he could do to her after everything.

Jaehyun only saw her again when he was about to sleep that night. He’d entered their bedroom, and found that Ahri was already asleep under the blanket. The room was dark, but he could make out her figure on the bed. She was facing away from his side of the bed. This made him sigh to himself.

But at least, she was still here sleeping on the same bed as him.

Although, the thing that scared him the most was the fact that Ahri refused to talk to him for the next two days. She was only doing the bare minimum of talking with him. No good morning, no I love yous, only a simple yes or no—and Jaehyun’s favorite was ‘I’m fine’. Jaehyun knew she was not even close to fine. And he hated it that she closed herself up from him.

Jaehyun finally reached his limit. It killed him for not being able to talk to Ahri. So, after two days, Jaehyun finally cornered her one morning inside the walk-in closet.

Ahri was getting ready for the day, already dressed up in her dress, when Jaehyun quietly entered and closed the sliding door behind him. The loud sound of the wood sliding the floor made Ahri’s head turned to the source. And there Jaehyun was, standing with his back straight, face determined, but with a little hint of apprehension.

She did not want to look at him any longer, so she glanced away, heading towards the shoe shelves.

“Ahri,” Jaehyun tried to call her, but to no avail. And when he realized that she wouldn’t respond to him any time sooner, he made a move to walk towards her. He stopped just a few feet behind her, still giving her space. And then he called her name again.

“Yes, Jaehyun,” Ahri answered, but with a hint of coldness in her tone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter