One

The Royal Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ahri in her breath and tucked her stomach in. She was clad in her knee length peach pencil skirt dress, complete with her blazer. It was the suit for a royal visitation. Today, Ahri and her parents were going to meet the Prince and the Queen to discuss of the marriage arrangement.

A knock was heard on the door of her room. And then Jinri, her personal aide walked in. “Milady, your mother has asked for your presence in the common room. You will be taking off in 5 minutes.”

Ahri nodded, “Alright...” She then looked once again to the mirror and exhaled heavily. “Jinri,” Ahri called.

“Yes, Milady,” the aide rushed forward to Ahri’s side.

“Did you ever suggest that I would be marrying a stranger at the age of twenty-five?” Ahri asked, never leaving her sight on her reflection at the mirror.

Jinri cleared . “I’ve always thought that you would end up with Mr. Taeyong, Milady...” she said with a tint of uncertainty in her voice.

A bitter smile appeared on Ahri’s face. “I’ve thought so too,” she whispered sadly. Suddenly tears began to form in her eyes.

Jinri cleared again. “My apology, Milady, but Mr. Taeyong had asked me to pass this to you,” she said.

Ahri blinked in surprise before turning to her aide. Jinri was holding a white crisp envelope with Taeyong’s handwriting in it. Undecidedly, Ahri took the letter.

Another knock sounded from the door, and another call for her to be at the common room, but this time, it was Lady Taeyeon herself that was by the door. “Sweetheart, let’s go, your father’s already in the car.”

Ahri swiftly slipped the letter behind her thigh, subtly hiding it from her mother. She nodded and turned to grab her purse before sauntering out of the room, not even having a chance to glance at the inside of the envelope. Later, she thought. She was going to read the letter later tonight.

 

♦♦♦

 

This was not the first time that Ahri set foot in the imperial place, but it was the first time that she felt hesitant to step foot inside. Never in a million years that Ahri thought her fate would take a turn like this. A lot of girls probably dreamed of marrying the renowned prince, but she wasn’t like any other girls. She never dreamed of the fairy tale. She even dreaded it.

Because the one thing that she knew, once she became the princess, her life would never be her own again. She would belong to the country.

Her parents and Queen Jessica had started to plan everything; engagement party, pre-wedding photo shoots, wedding reception, publicity, all in one neat package. Amazing how in less than twenty four hours, everything was settled—without even her say. All she had to do was meet her soon to be husband and get to know him. Everything was done backwards, and Ahri wasn’t sure if she could pull this through.

Once they arrived at the palace, the family of three were ushered instantly towards the huge family room. Ahri swallowed at the revelation. The family room was at the center of the palace, which was probably one of the most secluded part of the complex. Normally, guests would be ushered towards the common room. But not this time.

The fact that they were going to a private room in the palace showed how this meeting is solely for the two families only.

And just like what Ahri thought, once they were inside the family room, the guards left and closed the doors behind them. Again, unlike usual.

“Her Majesty Queen Jessica, and His Highness Prince Jaehyun have arrived!” one of the guards announced from behind the door.

Simultaneously, the grand double door opened and the two royalties walked in. Ahri and her parents stood not far from the doors in line, ready to greet the Queen and the Prince. The first to appear was Queen Jessica.

Jessica had an indifferent face that would put her as a cold person. But Ahri knew—from what she heard of her mother’s stories—that the Queen was actually a kind-hearted person. She was fierce, but was also warm towards the person she held dear.

And then Prince Jaehyun followed, and Ahri couldn’t help but to feel nervous at the sight of him. Now that he was here, it all began to feel so real.

Prince Jaehyun oozed maleness. His height, his sharp features, his brown hair, his sharp eyes. He was wearing a white crisp shirt with a grey suit jacket. He too, was showing an indifferent expression, so Ahri couldn’t really read him.

Soon as the two royalties entered the family room, Ahri and her parents made their curtsy. And when they stood back up, Taeyeon immediately rushed to greet the Queen. Ahri watched as her mother embraced the Queen, and how a small elegant smile crept up Queen Jessica’s face.

Next, her father greeted, “Your Majesty, Your Highness,” he said, giving another bow to the Prince, while her mother rushed with a quick peck on Prince Jaehyun’s cheek after a small bow, followed by a pat on the shoulder. Lady Taeyeon sure was well acquainted with them.

The last was Ahri’s turn to greet the two royalties, “Your Majesty, Your Highness,” she said.

When Ahri stood up, she was surprised when Queen Jessica sauntered towards her. Her indifferent face showing no emotions, showing nothing. Ahri was even more shocked when the Queen put a hand on her cheek, cradling her face delicately.

“Such a beautiful lady,” Queen Jessica muttered. And then, a genuine smile appeared. She didn’t know why, but somehow Ahri felt something that made her heart pound. Something like—acceptance.

Queen Jessica released her and turned back to her son.

“This is Jaehyun,” Queen Jessica introduced, mainly to Ahri.

Prince Jaehyun gave a small bow, to which Ahri also bowed. When they stood straight again, Ahri gave the prince a polite smile. And then the prince smiled back—a shy smile, showing two dimples on both of his cheeks. The moment he smiled, he was showing a whole different persona.

And Ahri wished that everything would turn out well in this arrangement.

 

♦♦♦

 

Lady Taeyeon had forced the two of them to take a stroll at the backyard maze. At first Ahri wanted to oppose, not wanting to spend some awkward alone time with the Prince. But when Prince Jaehyun got up from his seat and offered his hand to her, how could she say no to the Prince?

That was how the two of them leisurely walked at the garden at the back of the palace, two of the Prince’s guards following behind them. They kept a good distance between each other, not too close, but not too far to have a conversation.

“So, how was your trip from the east, Your Highness?” Ahri started as they entered the rows of flower beds. Prince Jaehyun had just arrived from visiting an area at the east. And Ahri thought that this could be the perfect topic to start a conversation.

“You may call me Jaehyun. After all, you and I are going to be spending a lot of time together in the future,” the prince muttered from beside her.

Ahri tried not to cringe at the idea of them being bound together for such a long time. “Of course,” she said meekly. “So how was your trip, Jaehyun?” She asked again awkwardly.

Apparently, Jaehyun caught on her self-consciousness for he laughed lowly under his breath. “It was quite far, I might say, but not unpleasant as well.”

“Oh,” Ahri mumbled.

“But I’m not a flying person, so the entire time in the heli I tried to sleep...” Jaehyun trailed.

“But you failed?” Ahri turned to him.

Jaehyun laughed. “I failed... of course, what fool would try to sleep amidst all that noise?”

“Ah...” Ahri laughed too.

And then silence followed. Both of them continued to stroll along the garden, now entering the maze. Hundreds of thoughts entered Ahri’s mind. What would it feel like being married to Jaehyun? Oh, how much Ahri hated being in an awkward position like this.

Jaehyun laughed again, making Ahri glance at him.

Jaehyun had stopped walking, his head tilted upwards, his eyes closed, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter