Seven

The Royal Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
is Jaehyun a real prince or what??

 

 

"You can call Sooyoung and tell her to squeeze in that function to my schedule."

"Squeeze--come on, Jae, it's tomorrow, I don't need to squeeze that in, I need you to come!"

"I'm not in the mood, Youngho."

Jaehyun had been trying to get this friend of his to get off his back for awhile now. But he wouldn't stop pestering him. Youngho had insisted him to come to one of the country's most renowned artist's gallery opening. She was a famous artist, and the gallery opening was said to be the biggest in the year. 

"Come on, Jae," Youngho sighed on the phone. "It's been two months… And we both know she's never coming back. You can't just sit around and mope. Sooner or later people are gonna question where the Prince is."

Youngho was right, Jaehyun knew it. It had been two months since he let Yerim go, and it had been two months since he didn't feel like himself. He mostly kept to himself, aside from the royal business that needed to attend. He maintained a professional attitude, but he found that to be exhausting at one point.

"I don't know, Youngho…" he sighed.

"Jaehyun, please. I'm worried about you. Just humor me…"

The last thing he wanted was other people to worry about him. And that was probably the last draw of the string. "Alright, fine. Text Sooyoung the address so she can coordinate with the royal guards."

"Thanks, Jae, we can go somewhere after that. I owe you on this one."

"Owe me? What do you mean--are you trying to get laid with someone--yah!" But the line was off after Youngho yelled an 'i love you'. And Jaehyun merely sighed with a hint of chuckle, shaking his head.

**

The gallery event was not as public as Jaehyun had imagined. It was rather huge, but not packed because only a select few people were invited. It was an outdoor occasion, and Jaehyun was glad that he chose a rather lighter and thinner suit for the day.

Two bodyguards entailed, along with a couple of securities and snipers that were posted on the rooftops of the neighboring buildings. Youngho had informed the organizer that the Crown Prince was going to attend the event right after he managed to coax him, thus a lot of altercation was made in the security aspect.

Jaehyun had been having death threats over the past week. And even though it was nothing new, the royal guards never loosened their security protocol.

Jaehyun was glad that his attendance was sudden, because there would be no formalities upon his arrival, and for once, he almost felt like a regular guest.

Jaehyun had learned that the artist, Bae Irene, was one of the most considered artist, not only in the country, but also all around the continent. He had also learned that Youngho held a great interest towards the lady, and was most probably going to use him as a wingman for the day.

He was irritated at the idea in the beginning. But when he thought about it, it was going to be fun watching Youngho trying to be cool and handsome in front of a lady. He could use this as an ammunition for the future.

Eyes turned to him as he entered the venue. It was located on the rooftop of a building with an outdoor concept. Most of the arts were 3D arts, but Jaehyun could see a couple of paintings here and there. He could also see why Bae Irene was famous.

A waiter came with a tray of flutes of champagne and offered him with a slight bow of head. Jaehyun took one after muttering a thank you. His eyes scanned the room in search of his friend. But it seemed that Youngho hadn’t yet arrived.

“Your Highness!”

Jaehyun turned to the voice who sounded quite surprised. It was a guy whom he hadn’t seen in a very long time, and he couldn’t help the grin that slowly grew on his face. “Mark Lee?!” Jaehyun spoke in fluent pronunciation.

“Yo! What’s up, Your Highness?” Mark launched himself and gave the Prince a high five, pulling him in a brotherly hug with a pat on the back. 

“It’s been what, three years?” Jaehyun replied in fluent English, laughing in awe.

Mark Lee was Jaehyun’s closest friend when he went to college in America. He was the only person who never treated him differently because of the ‘prince’ title, and he was also the only person who shared the same hometown with him. Mark was two years younger, but he felt more like a friend rather than a younger brother. It had been a really long time since he last saw him that Jaehyun instantly felt reminiscence upon seeing him.

“Three years but like centuries, I swear,” Mark laughed.

“When did you get here?” Jaehyun switched back to his native language.

“You know I’ve been going back and forth from Canada to here, right? But now I’m permanently staying here,” the younger shrugged. “Oh! Forgive me,” Mark then turned to his side towards a young woman who was also holding a flute of champagne.

Jaehyun didn’t realize her earlier because of how excited he was upon seeing his old friend. But now that Mark had mentioned her, his attention immediately shifted to her.

“Your Highness, this is Lady Park Ahri of Synsithia, but I guess you two know each other already?” Mark stated hesitantly.

Lady Park smiled upon looking at the Prince and did a curtsy. “We do know each other, actually,” she smiled.

Jaehyun watched her smile.

“Our parents are really close,” Jaehyun said. “How are you doing, Lady Park?”

“I’m fine, Your Highness, thank you,” she smiled still. And a smile crept up Jaehyun’s face itself.

“I was just talking to Lady Park here about the Love-Heal Children campaign,” Mark spoke.

“Yes, yes. I heard that you are the ambassador for the campaign?” Jaehyun inquired.

“Yes, I am,” Lady Park’s face lit up brighter, and Jaehyun couldn’t not notice that.

“How is the campaign going, Lady Park?” the Prince asked.

“We are currently trying to build a children’s hospital at the rural area of Avalache, as I was explaining to Mark-ssi here,” she gestured. “The region is too far up high the mountain for the people to go to the nearest hospital, which is miles away. That’s why the organization is trying to build a small children hospital that is easy to reach. We have heard that the children there has been suffering from an endemic diarrhea, Your Highness, did you know that?” she turned to the Prince with a judging look.

Jaehyun was quite taken a back. He had no information of this, and he felt ashamed. Avalache was a small region in Lucretia near the border, and he might have missed a few details on what had been going on in that area, especially in the health department. “I—this is actually my first time hearing this…” he trailed.

Lady Park’s face changed. She looked like she was ready to state her case. And for the next five minutes, she did. Both the Prince and Mark listened to her attentively, interested in the facts that they both had no knowledge of.

But Jaehyun also noticed how Lady Park was giving all of her heart into this. She didn’t just explain to get the Prince’s attention in order to fish in cash, she explained it because she wanted the government to know. That was what Jaehyun felt.

“I promise, Lady Park, that I will handle the issue myself. I will make sure that the children there get the first help that they all need. Meanwhile, I’d like to see the organization board to give them my gratitude personally on building the hospital, if that can be arranged?”

Lady Park looked surprised for a moment. “Uh… of course, Your Highness… I… I will arrange it and adjust to Your Highness’ schedule.”

Jaehyun shook his head, “No, do it in the nearest time. I’ll have my staff contact you later, if that’s okay with you.”

**

Jaehyun was on the phone with Sooyoung, his voice stressed out as he spoke with her. He couldn’t believe that the details about the health issue in Avalache had escaped his attention. Those were children that were suffering there, and they had to basically go on a trip to get the proper treatment from the nearest hospital. If Lady Park hadn’t informed him of this, he wouldn’t have known this issue at all.

“Yes, Sooyoung. And I want to meet with the organization’s board and talk about the campaign project. I’m going to give them my full support,” Jaehyun said in a calmer tone, pushing his hand into his trouser’s pocket. “Thank you, Sooyoung,” he then ended the call and handed the phone to his aide.

“Excuse me, Your Highness…”

Jaehyun turned to the soft voice that was calling him. “Lady Park,” he called, raising his eyebrows.

Lady Park looked hesitant this time—no longer the fiery woman that was speaking about facts. She almost looked regretful, “I’d like to apologize, Your Highness, I didn’t mean to come out strong at you like earlier… not in front of your friend like that…” she trailed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Jaehyun couldn’t help but notice the way her long hair fell on her shoulder, flowy and dark like silk. Lady Park was shorter than he remembered, but she had this aura in her that made her stood tall, even when she was apologizing like this.

“There’s no need, Lady Park, if anything, I should be thanking you for caring over those children. I’m… I honestly missed those informations. Turns out that my staffs had briefed me a few weeks ago, but it slipped my mind… I… I have been having other things in my mind recently…” he shuddered inwardly at the thought of a certain someone.

Lady Park merely nodded with a smile. “I have talked to the board, and they are honored to meet you, Your Highness.”

Jaehyun once again watched her smile. He was starting to like it.

“The honor is mine, Lady Park,” he bowed his head, giving her a soft smile. Jaehyun didn’t know why, but he found himself wanting to stay longer with her, so he stepped forward and gestured for a walk.

Lady Park accepted with a nod.

“How—how are your parents?” Jaehyun started, clearing his throat a little.

“They’re both fine, thank you for asking, Your Highness. Although, I think you might have often seen my mother at the Palace. She’s been catching up some time with your mother,” Lady Park explained, tilting her head to the side and glance at the Prince.

Jaehyun hummed, “I do, actually. It seems like they’re having their girl time or something,” he shrugged.

Lady Park laughed softly at this, a sound that tickled Jaehyun’s ears and it made him glance down at her. They were still walking but then stopped at one of the paintings that were perched on the wall.

“What do you think of this one?” Jaehyun asked. He couldn’t deny it, he just wanted to hear her speak.

“Um…” she scrutinized the painting. It was a portrait of scenery; a picture looking out a grandeur lake and mountain. “I actually feel serene looking at this,” she spoke softly. Jaehyun was standing next to her, his attention towards her with his two hands in his pockets. “I could almost feel the breeze blowing…” she trailed.

Jaehyun raised his eyebrows in amusement, that was such an unusual comment.

And then Lady Park turned to him with a blushing face, “I’m sorry… I know nothing about arts. All I know is that this painting is good,” she laughed embarrassedly.

Jaehyun laughed at her, and he was sure his dimples were showing, because then Lady Park’s eyes went down to them. And she didn’t move her eyes even when they had finished laughing.

Just then he realized that Lady Park was actually beautiful. And it was funny how their parents were good friends but the two of them barely see each other. They were not even that close when they were little, mainly because Jaehyun spent his studying years in America. He barely knew this woman in front of him, yet she had amused him twice today.

They continued strolling towards other paintings; the both of them kept giving silly comments back and forth. And for the first time in weeks, Jaehyun found himself smiling and laughing non-stop. And for the first time in weeks, he found himself not thinking of the one person who left and hurt him.

**

Lady Park had been gone for a few minutes, but Jaehyun found himself still looking at her amidst the crowd. He didn’t know why, but today, she intrigued him. It wasn’t a rare occasion for them to be talking towards each other, but it wasn’t often too.

Jaehyun was leaning at the bar with a glass of champagne on his hand with his gaze towards the crowd, zeroed in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter