Confession

Hidden Feelings

"You bolted out of theater?" Seulgi asked.

"While crying?" Joy chimed in.

"Yes," Seulgi put a pillow over her head.

"And you spent ten minutes crying in the toilet?" said Seulgi.

"And kept Irene-unnie waiting for you not knowing why you cry?" added Joy.

"Yes."

"Of course she's mad if you don't tell her what's wrong. You can't bawl like a baby in front of someone like Irene and say nothing. She worries," Seulgi threw her arms in the air.

"What am I supposed to do? Say that the movie reminds me too much of what I'm going through with her?" Wendy said.

"But I thought you were over her," said Joy.

"I thought so too. I've been trying so hard. I thought I have finally ready to just go out with her as friends but I was wrong. It's so hard," Wendy sighed. "I guess we can't actually get over somebody if we still see them everyday."

"Or get a new crush. Are you open to dating someone else?" said Joy.

"Joy. Being a lesbian doesn't mean we will date just any other lesbian. We have preferences," Wendy sneered.

"But your preferences are straight girls," Seulgi said.

"Argh, shut up!"

Wendy sighed and closed her eyes. Joy maybe had a point. Getting over somebody will be much easier if she had a replacement.

**

Yeri the voice recorder on her phone and started reciting her presentation for her finals next week. She found it easier to memorise things by listening to it instead of reading it. She was about halfway finished when Irene knocked her door and entered the room. She sat on the bed and sighed.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Preparing for my presentation. You okay?" asked Yeri.

"I just snapped at Wendy."

"Why?"

"We were watching a movie and then she cried like her dog died but won't tell me why."

"Maybe the movie was just that sad."

"It wasn't. And she's been weird to me. Everytime people are around she acts like we're the best of friends but when we're alone she acts like she hates me."

"Really? i never noticed that."

Irene put her hands on her face. "I'm going insane, Yeri. I hate when I don't know what's going on with you guys but I hate it the most when I can't figure out Wendy. Does she hate me? Did I do something wrong? Because I don't want her to hate me. She's the one person I don't want to be ignored by."

"Maybe she's going through something. Do you think she knows?"

"About what?"

"You liking her."

"No. Unless you told her."

"No, of course not."

But it struck a thought in Irene's head. What if Wendy knew?

"Can we be sure that Wendy doesn't know about my feelings for her? I mean it would make a lot of sense if she's avoiding me because of that. But that doesn't explain the crying. I, I'm confused...."

"I'll find out. I'll talk to Seulgi-unnie or someone."

"Great. Thanks."

Irene left the room. Yeri sighed. She returned her focus on the presentation. She forgot how far she read and decided to started the recording over again.

**

Yeri talked to Seulgi the next day after she finished school. Seulgi didn't tell her anything, she did say that Wendy had a lot on her mind but she didn't specify what. Joy was the same. Yeri then tried talking to Wendy herself but the girl just smiled and said sorry if she caused Yeri to worry. She realized that she was acting a little stranger than usual. Wendy also said that everything should be alright in a few days.

Yeri reported it to Irene and the older girl responded with a sigh.

For the next few days, Yeri noticed the soft tension between Irene and Wendy. It was nothing much but Yeri, being the only person aware of Irene's feelings, knew what it meant for her leader. Wendy sat a few seats away from Irene, stood farther from her, and giving away stuff from Irene.

Irene got a lot more depressed but concealed it so nicely that it only showed when she was alone with Yeri. Yeri hated that sight of Irene so she was determined to find out what was going on with Wendy.

She didn't have to wait too long because after three days of confusion, Wendy asked the members to gather in the kitchen at one evening, saying she had something to announce.

Yeri sat next to Irene. Joy and Seulgi sat across them, while Wendy sat at the head of the table.

"Thank you for your time," Wendy said with a smile. "I want to tell you something big. It has everything to do with me being weird lately and it made Yeri worried. Irene-unnie is worried, too, I'm sorry."

Irene said nothing.

"I'm going through something, as I said to all of you, which made me quite stressful. Joy and Seulgi know this. Um, for a long time now I feel that I am different than all of you. I mean as girls. Because I have long known that I have feelings not for men but to girls."

Wendy paused.

Joy and Seulgi raised their eyebrows. They didn't expect Wendy to come out. Not before consulting them.

"And, uh, a few years back I've been struggling with this unrequited love. It made me half crazy thinking about it, and, um...."

Joy held her breath. Seulgi took a glance at Irene, trying to read her expression. What if Wendy said that she loves Irene right then and there?

"Um... It all has been resolved. Thank God."

"What?" Seulgi blurted out a word.

Wendy turned to her and said, "I am on a serious relationship with a girl. Her name is Morgan and she's a friend from Canada. She moved to Korea with her family because her father was transferred here. We've been talking for a while and, uh, long story short... We're dating."

Seulgi and Joy were at loss for words. They did not expecting it at all.

Wendy, in all her nervousness, turned to Irene. Her expression was blank. Just unreadable. Then she looked at Yeri. Yeri was biting her lower lip, eyes watery, and a second later, she cried.

"Yeri?" Wendy said. "Did I upset you?"

Yeri shook her head. "No. No. I'm happy for you. I just... I don't know why I'm so emotional."

"Thanks. Irene-unnie... do you...."

Irene smiled. "Of course I'm happy for you too."

Wendy let out a relieved breath. "Thank you everyone."

Yeri took Irene's hand under the table and squeezed it. Irene squeezed back and tapped on the back of Yeri's palm, signalling her that she was okay. But Yeri knew Irene was not okay, so she cried harder. Wendy saw it and she walked over to Yeri to hug her.

Joy and Seulgi laughed saying how sweet Yeri was to care so much of Wendy. Wendy was on the verge of tears too, knowing her members took her as she was. Little that she knew Yeri was crying for Irene.

--