Secret Beach

Hidden Feelings

Irene threw an effervescent tablet into a glass and yawned. She had a late night and very early in the morning, they had to go and record their new single. She was so sleepy she could sleep standing. Joy and Seulgi were in the recording booth while Yeri was away with the manager. Something about school, he said, Irene was not really paying attention.

Irene turned around and about to take a seat when she saw Wendy was yawning. Irene froze for a second and made another glass of effervescent vitamin. Then, she walked to Wendy and gave her one.

“God, I slept at three yesterday,” said Wendy. “Thank you, Unnie.”

“What made the photo shoot so late?” asked Irene.

“The outfit. There were so many details and it took hours to get into. I feel like I’m in a sci-fi movie.”

Irene smiled and sipped on her drink.

“You got in pretty late too, Unnie. What time did you sleep?” asked Wendy.

“Five. The flight was delayed.”

“So you only had an hour of sleep?”

Irene smiled again.

The music director played Joy and Seulgi’s recording into the speaker. Then he turned around to ask Irene and Wendy’s opinion. Both of them raised a thumb. Wendy let out a really big yawn and swayed on her seat.

“Sleep,” said Irene.

“Hmm. I’m trying. I can’t with loud noises, Unnie. Remember?”

Irene stared at Wendy.

“What?”

“Here,” Irene pulled Wendy gently and let her lay on her lap. Then, Irene put one hand on Wendy’s ear. “I’ll cover your ear. Sleep.”

Wendy was silent for a really, really long time. Her heart had gone berserk, it was beating uncontrollably. She was not expecting this and she was not ready. Her fatigue went away and another thing kicked in. Wendy lay on Irene’s lap, eyes wide open, and hands clutched nervously. And all of a sudden, time seemed to stop. And Wendy hoped, prayed, that no one, NO ONE, would bother them.

An hour had passed and Wendy could feel Irene’s hand on her ear slipping. She turned her head and looked at the older girl. Irene had fallen asleep. Wendy slowly sat up, held Irene on the shoulders and placed her head on her lap. Then, Wendy let out a relief sigh. It was a tense hour.

Now, with Irene on her lap, she felt a little bit more at ease. With a smile, Wendy ran her fingers through Irene’s hair. “Sleep tight, Unnie.”

**

Irene opened her eyes and found Seulgi was looking at her. Irene was about to shriek when Seulgi shushed her.

“Sst. Be quiet, Unnie. She’s finally asleep,” said Seulgi.

“Who?”

“Wendy.”

Irene just only realized that her head was lying on Wendy’s lap. She slowly sat up and looked at the tired girl. Wendy had her head tilted to the side with her eyes closed.

“I thought I was the one cradling her to sleep,” said Irene.

“You guys switched position an hour ago,” said Seulgi in a half whispering way.

“She must be so tired.”

“Well, the director gave us an hour break. When we start again it will be Yeri’s part so…. You two had a late night so you guys can go get some more sleep. What do you want for lunch, Unnie? I’ll get it for you,” asked Seulgi.

“Um, whatever you guys are having. And don’t forget to get one for Wendy too.”

“Sure,” Seulgi smiled and left the room.

Irene waited until Seulgi closed the door. Then, she turned at the sleeping girl. Wendy looked so calm and peaceful. It brought smile to Irene’s face. She tucked a stray hair behind Wendy’s ear and observed the girl’s perfectly carved face. Her eyes, her nose, and her lips. Cherry blossom lips.

Irene found herself out of breath for no reason just by looking at Wendy’s lips. Irene turned her head away. “Damn it…,” she cursed.

Irene lost in her thoughts for a while. She closed her eyes when her imagination ran too wild. Then, she couldn’t take it anymore.

“Sorry, Wendy,” Irene said as she did the thing she always wanted to do.

**

A week later, SM Town Concert took place. It was probably the only thing that all of SM artists waited for in a year. There was no burden in that concert, no competition, just fun. Red Velvet was no exception. Aside from performing their hit singles, Irene also got to be the MC. Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri had a dance stage, while Wendy got to do a duet with Minho.

Irene, after doing the second MC part, ran backstage to get some drink. By the water bottle station, stood Taeyeon and Sunny, her seniors.

“Excuse me, Unnie,” Irene said as she took a bottle.

“Say, Irene. You will have a ten day off after this, right?” asked Sunny.

“Eight, actually. Why?” Irene said.

“We were thinking of going away to the Secret Beach this weekend for a three day stay. You want to tag along?” said Sunny.

“Oh. That famous beach? Can I come? I thought only SNSD members can go there,” Irene smiled, a little honored by the invitation.

“It used to,” Taeyeon laughed. “But we’re all busy with our own things lately so Sunny and I are the only one going. It will be a lot more fun with more people for sure. So if you have nothing to do in the weekend, come and join us.”

“Just me?”

“You can ask all of Red Velvet. We’ll pay,” said Sunny.

“Wow. Thank you. But Seulgi and Yeri are going home this day off…. “

“Oh, Joy is going on that Vietnam trip, right? With Eeteuk-oppa and Boa-Unnie. You’re not going?” asked Taeyeon.

“No,” Irene shook her head.

“Wendy then,” said Sunny.

“Yeah. I’ll ask Wendy,” Irene smiled.

“Cool,” Taeyeon gave Irene a fist bump.

Then, Irene was called back to the stage.

**

The Secret Beach was a remote beach at the southern of the island. It was so remote that almost no one took notice. Yoona was the one who accidentally found it when she was filming a CF and so she declared it SNSD Beach. SNSD members used to go there and used it as a getaway from all the business and the hype of being idols. Now, Taeyeon told, the beach had changed. There was no cabin for recreation before and now there were a few, plus a couple of beach attractions. The Secret Beach had become quite well known.

At Sunday, Irene and Wendy were waiting in front of their dorm. Taeyeon came to pick them up with a black BMW SUV which she borrowed from one of their managers. Sunny was in the passenger seat and she told Irene and Wendy to dump their things in the back. Irene and Wendy hopped in the car and let Taeyeon took them to the beach.

It took three hours to get there and along the way, the girls sang, gossiped, and joked. Three hours flew by in a blink of an eye. When the beach was in sight, the topic changed into how beautiful nature was. The BMW then entered a cottage and Taeyeon parked right in front of it.

The cottage was spacious with two huge bedrooms. There were no TV but there was hot water and adequate lighting. There was a kitchen but they decided that they won’t cook. Instead, Taeyeon and Sunny brought a ton of instant food. After putting away their baggage in the rooms, the girls walked to the beach to enjoy the sunset. They arrived just in time.

The beach was empty. Taeyeon said it won’t be long until tourists from all over the country noticed the beach so they had to cherish this moment.

After the sun had already set, they walked back to the cottage to grill some steak. Sunny was in charge. Irene was asked – ordered – by Taeyeon to grill some sausage just in case Sunny failed with the steak. Taeyeon and Wendy were outside the cottage creating bon fire. Wendy was amazed of how good Taeyeon was in making fire.

Sunny steak came out okay and Irene grilled eight sausages. Around eight, the girls sat around the bon fire facing the ocean while eating and drinking beer.

“Look. You can’t see that many stars in the city,” said Taeyeon.

Irene nodded. She rarely looked up to the sky in the city but she was sure that Taeyeon was right.

“When was the last time you guys came here?” asked Wendy.

“A year ago?” Sunny said and asked for confirmation from Taeyeon. Taeyeon nodded.

“It must be fun to hang with your members here,” said Wendy.

“It’s the best. We could stay up all night just talking and cursing and making fun of each other,” said Taeyeon. “But that was before we got too old. Nowadays we yawn at nine.”

“The steak’s good, Unnie,” said Irene as she took a bite on a steak.

 “Of course,” Sunny threw a log into the fire. “You want to play some game?”

“Sure,” said Wendy.

“Confession. Confess your most embarrassing moment,” said Sunny.

“That’s no fun. You know everything about me,” Taeyeon protested.

“Okay. How about we go versus then? Red Velvet against SNSD. Who has the most embarrassing moment?” Sunny smirked.

“Ooh, I like that,” Taeyeon smirked too.

Irene and Wendy exchanged gaze and they agreed. “Sure, fine.”

“I’ll start,” said Sunny. “Do you know that Taeyeon cried three days in a row when Tiffany went home to LA and pretended that she had allergic reaction to the sun?”

Irene spewed her beer out while Wendy choked on her sausage.

“Hey!” Taeyeon smacked Sunny on her arm. “Why are you telling my embarrassing story?”

“Because I don’t have one,” Sunny laughed.

Irene gave Wendy her beer. Wendy was coughing and laughing at the same time. “You guys killed Wendy. Now Red Velvet is short one vocalist.”

Wendy laughed even more.

“You go,” said Taeyeon.

Since Wendy was still gasping for air, Irene opened up her secret. “I just had my… first kiss.”

“Oooooh!” Taeyeon and Sunny shrieked in joy. They raised her beer and asked for a cheer.

“Congratulations!” Taeyeon ruffled Irene’s long hair.

“When?” asked Sunny.

“Last week.”

“Oooooh!” the two seniors cheered again.

Irene took a sip on her beer.

“What?” Wendy said.

“Hmm?”

“You what, Unnie?” asked Wendy.

“I had my first kiss.”

Wendy was frozen for a while. “You have a boyfriend?”

Irene smirked. “I wouldn’t call it that.”

“Oooooh!” Taeyeon and Sunny cheered.

“But you kissed?” asked Wendy.

“Yes,” Irene smiled.

“Oooooh!” Taeyeon and Sunny were on the verge of getting drunk.

“Hmm. Oh,” Wendy sighed. “Well, congratulations.”

“Thanks,” Irene finished her beer in one shot and yelled, “Oooooh!”

**

Taeyeon was right. Exactly at nine, she and Taeyeon was a goner. They retreated into the cabin to sleep. Irene and Wendy were left to clean up the beer cans and the meat.

“Should we go to sleep too?” asked Irene after she threw the last of the beer can into the garbage bin.

“Yes. I’m taking the couch,” said Wendy.

“Eh, why? The bed is big enough for the two of us.”

“Nah, it’s okay.”

“But…,” Irene was disappointed.

“I know you don’t want to sleep in a stranger room all alone, Unnie, but you’ll be fine. I’ll be right outside.”

“It’s not that I’m scared….”

“Why then?”

“You… you will catch a cold outside.”

“I’ll have my blanket,” said Wendy with a smile.

Irene was left speechless. She could only watch Wendy set up a makeshift bed from the couch in the living room in silent.

“Are you sure you don’t want to go to bed with me?” asked Irene.

“I’m fine right here,” Wendy gave Irene a huge smile from under the blanket.

Irene, head hung low, went into the room and closed the door. Wendy let out a sigh. All of the lamps in the cottage had been turned off, so when Wendy unlocked her phone, she was blinded by the light. After turning down the brightness to low, she texted Joy.

“I’m broken hearted,” she said and pressed send.

--