Lunch at Home

Hidden Feelings

Wendy made a cross with a red marker on her calendar to mark the end of Red Velvet comeback stage. From here on out, her schedule will only get worse. She flipped the calendar until the end of the year and realized that she won’t have any vacation until the first quarter of next year. She sighed a little but then she remembered that there was something to look forward to at the end of her business.

Her girlfriend Morgan Litte.

Wendy smiled at the thought and then someone knocked on her door. Irene stood while holding Wendy’s room door open. “You ready?”

“Yes,” Wendy chirped as she grabbed her suitcase and followed Irene and the rest of her members down the dorm.

Red Velvet was going on Asia Tour for a month. First stop: Thailand. Red Velvet did a two day concert in Thailand before flying to Singapore. They stayed for another two nights there and the next day, Red Velvet flew Malaysia. After that the Philippine and Indonesia. Japan was the last stop which they did a three performance in two cities before they headed back to South Korea.

Red Velvet had a one day break before flying to Jeju for an off air performance in the day and charity event in the evening. In the morning, they flew back to Seoul, drove to the neighboring city for a fansigning event. In the evening, they drove all the way back to Seoul to attend a fashion show. They finished the event the next morning.

After a short sleep, Red Velvet left to the northern part of the country for a CF filming. At four in the afternoon, they drove back to Seoul for a reality TV show. They went home, slept for the night, and they departed to a TV station for a variety show taping.

Then the year came to an end. Red Velvet’s end of year’s schedule was packed with TV performance, end of year awarding event, end of year greetings taping, agency events, and finally end of year agency concert.

The beginning of the year was just as busy. When the group had no schedule, there was individual schedule for the members. Irene had tons of CF to shoot, Joy and Seulgi had tons of variety shows to film, and Wendy and Yeri had a project to sing with Western singer.

It was already April when Wendy finally had a free space on her calendar. It was Tuesday and Wendy woke up earlier than she used to on a vacation. She took a bath and put on the best casual outfit she had. Wendy came out of her room, saw Irene in the kitchen, and said that she will go out today.

“When will you be back?”

“Um. Not sure,” said Wendy.

“You’re meeting with Morgan?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Keep me posted.”

“I will,” Wendy dashed out of the dorm.

Irene was holding a cup of coffee when Wendy went out, and then she walked to the window to watch the girl hopped on a taxi. She sipped her coffee as the taxi disappeared behind a building.

**

Wendy cut her pancake and ate a mouthful. She smiled in bliss. “Aaah. It’s been a while since I can eat breakfast this slow,” Wendy said in English.

Morgan propped her head with one hand as she observed Wendy’s every movement.

Don’t stare at people, Morgan. Eat.

Morgan smiled. “Oh, come on. We haven’t seen each other in six months. I am allowed to ogle my girlfriend.

Sush. Don’t say that word around here,” said Wendy.

Oops.”

So,” Wendy put another mouthful in, “what’s new with you? How’s work? How’s your family?”

Work’s fine. The store is finally getting revenue. Dad is as busy as ever. Mom joins the traditional music instrument club. My sister will have the final exam next week. Oh, and she’s into Blackpink now.

Oh, a traitor. I’ll spank her the next time we meet.”

She was hoping you could get her Lisa’s autograph, actually.

What? To rub salt on my wound. I’ll get her one when I see Lisa.

Morgan cackled.

Can I come over?” asked Wendy.

To my house?

Wendy nodded.

I’ve got a better plan. Can I come over?

To my dorm?

Yes.”

Why would you want to do that?

What do you mean? We’ve been dating for a year now and you haven’t introduced me to your members.”

Because they are loud and they are annoying.

But they are family.

Wendy rolled her eyes. “You got a point.

I’m free today.

Wendy smiled.

**

Yeri found Irene on the sofa all by herself drinking coffee. She came up to her and handed the script for her next filming. Irene thanked her and examined the script while Yeri sat in front of her.

Irene flipped the script to the last page. "I'm supposed to memorize this by Thursday? This is too much."

"Try recording it and play it back on your phone. It works for me."

"Oh, good idea. Ah, I'm charging my phone. Let me use yours."

Yeri handed her phone and it rang. The screen was showing Wendy's name.

"Pick it up, Unnie," said Yeri.

"Hello?"

"Irene-unnie? Why are you on Yeri's phone? I called you on your number but you're not picking up."

"I'm charging my phone. What's up?"

"Is it okay if Morgan comes by the dorm?"

Irene glanced at Yeri. "Um, yeah. When?"

"Now."

"Oh! Um... Okay. Is there anything I should prepare?"

"No. We're bringing food. Just tell the girls to wait for us for lunch."

"Sure."

"Okay. See you."

Irene ended the phone call.

"What is it?" asked Yeri.

"Morgan is coming to visit."

The Morgan!?”

Irene smiled. “Yes.”

Yeri sighed. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“No,” Irene returned her attention to the script. She pressed record on Yeri’s phone to start memorizing it.

“Are you sure?”

Irene smiled again. “Look, I get what you’re trying to do, but everything is fine. Look how happy Wendy is. It’s all good.”

Yeri nodded. “If you say so.”

**

Wendy and Morgan came to the dorm around one with plastic bags of food. Joy and Seulgi were ecstatic to see the girl Wendy was dating. Morgan had long blond hair, a head taller than Wendy, chubby cheeks, and curvy body. She barely wore any makeup but her skin glowed, especially when she was smiling. Yeri was more curious than excited. Her verdict: Irene had some heavy competitor.

Irene seemed composed. She welcomed Morgan like a good host. She helped Wendy and Morgan with their stuff and everything. Yeri was almost convinced that Irene really okay with everything.

“Wendy said you guys are okay with hot foods so we brought you spicy ones,” said Morgan as she unpacked the food from the bags. “I don’t think anyone of us is a vegetarian but there is a great place that sells amazing veggie nuggets and award winning veggie fried noodles.”

Everyone was amazed by how fluent Morgan’s Korean was that they were stumped for a second. Seulgi then spoke to Morgan comfortably after knowing that fact. Wendy finished up arranging the foods and told everyone to get a seat. Joy and Yeri stood next to each other, Wendy and Morgan took the seats across them. Irene and Seulgi sat on both ends of the table like parents at dinner.

The veggie nuggets were indeed delicious and spicy beyond understanding. Irene didn’t care for the heat but she liked the sweetness and sour taste. She was on her second nugget.

“It’s good!” said Joy.

“Right? Told you,” Morgan smiled.

“So where do you live, Unnie? Do I call you unnie?” asked Yeri.

“Call me Morgan. I live near the business district. My father is insurance business and he’s tending to the company here in South Korea.”

“Do you go to school or…,” Seulgi asked between her chews.

“I work in a tattoo parlor,” said Morgan.

“She owns the tattoo parlor.”

“It’s a friend’s. But I invested in it and I do work there regularly.”

“Ooh cool! do you have one of those invisible inks that can only be seen with special light?” asked Yeri.

“Yes, we do. I can put it on you for free if you want,” Morgan said and the whole table laughed.

Yeri looked at Irene and the older girl’s face was a mix of menacing and playful.

“Morgan has this cute Hello Kitty card game from Canada. How about we play it after we eat?” Wendy said.

Joy, Seulgi, and Yeri cheered in unison.

**

After the meal, Wendy brought the others to the living room to play. Irene decided to stay and clean up. Morgan offered to help. Irene agreed.

“Sorry, um, Unnie?” Morgan said in a low voice, unsure whether she should call Irene ‘unnie’ or not.

“Call me Irene,” said Irene.

“Okay. Irene. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“Did I do something to offend you?”

Irene cackled.

“Because I’m trying to win everyone’s heart in here and I think I did a good job with them, but not with you,” Morgan said.

Irene stopped stacking dirty plastic dishes and looked straight to Morgan’s eyes. “Can I be honest with you?”

“Yes, please.”

“I’m worried and I’m afraid,” Irene went into serious mode. “I’ve known these girls half of my life now, and as the oldest one here I took it upon myself to take care of them, and to take responsibility to their actions. So when Wendy said she’s seeing someone, it scares the hell out of me. Because in our line of work, there is no such thing as dating. There is actually an official ban in the agency. But it doesn’t stop any of us from dating, and it sure doesn’t stop Wendy from dating you behind the agency’s back. Wendy has chosen you and she knows the consequences. If she’s willing to risk her career for someone, then that someone is better be worthy.”

Morgan stood in silent.

“And here you are, blond and beautiful, cool job, wealthy family, perfect Korean….”

“So am I worthy?”

“It’s still up for debate. But I trust Wendy.”

Morgan let out a nervous laugh.

“I can tell you this though. I may not look like much but if I ever see Wendy cry because of you for any reason at all… then I will come for you and I will hurt you.”

Morgan felt her heart stop. Then Irene gave Morgan a smile. “Welcome to the family.”

Morgan smiled. They back to cleaning up the dining table. Morgan knew that what Irene said was not an empty threat. She meant every word and Morgan felt the weight of it.

--