Morning Love

Stay By My Side

Present Time

 

Three years have passed since I said yes to being roommates with Jeongyeonnie and I can say that those three years are my happiest. Sleeping and then waking up with her by my side. Jeongyeon has been my sun, everything rise and set on her—and now as I wake up first, I stare on her beautiful face, perfect upturn nose, luscious lips and golden brown hair. My heart swell with pride and happiness that this beautiful person is beside me and I was eternal thankful that I didn’t change roommates.

Jeongyeon stirred and with eyes still half closed she pulled me closer to her.
“Momoring…”

“Hmmm..”

“Good morning.”

I smiled and hugged her tighter. More than the kisses, this is my favourite moment—when I could just be in her arms and feel safe. Loved.  Cherished. Being with her, sleeping in one bed,  for three years gave us familiarity and bond that is special for both of us.
Don’t get me wrong, Twice is family and we love all the girls but what Jeongie and I have is, how can I say it, deeper. She understands me more than I even understand myself. She knows and understands my feelings, cheers me up when I’m tired, tease me when I’m quiet  and hugs me when I am down. I am not a skilful person, a bit clumsy and childish, but Jeonyeonie does a lot of things for me. To be honest, I don’t know what will I do without her.

I wish I could stay a bit more in her arms, but it’s 5:30am and we have an early day for a recording. I carefully removed her arms around me so I would not wake her up but before I could I get down from the bed someone pulled me back to the bed, making me fall.

“Yah!”

Jeongyeon pulled me to bed and hugged me from behind. I could feel her warm breath on my nape and it made me shiver.

“It still early. 5 minutes. Let’s stay like this for another 5 minutes.”

I smiled and faced her. Eyes still closed, I kissed her in the lips. She groaned.

“Five minutes will not be enough if you do that Momoyah.”

“Well, we don’t have forever. We need to leave by 7.”

Jeongie was still not budging. “I want to have forever with you…”

I blushed. She must still be half-asleep to utter such words.

“But you know god Ji Hyo will not allow us to be late. I’ll shower first so you could still sleep in ok?”

As soon as I got off the bed, I shivered, suddenly missing the warmth of my bed and of the arms of my best friend.

JEONGYEON

I feel cold without Momo by my side. I heard the shower on and her soft singing. I can’t help it but I grinned. Being with Momo makes me giddy like a teenager. I can’t help it, I always want to hold her hand, hug her, and kiss her hair. It’s like she’s my other half, without her beside me feels like I am incomplete, somethings missing. Even if we are sitting far from each other, just one glance makes me feel warm inside. 
I smell the pillow beside me, her scent lingered there. I want nothing but to stay in bed with her, just cuddling, talking, and laughing about random things. Moguri with her natural aegyo can make me gush on her cuteness. But on the dancefloor, her aegyo disappears and is replaced by a powerful aura that matched her on point dance steps and y body.
Not to be boastful, but Momo really has a y body. Flat stomach, small waists, hard abs and perfect s. I can’t help but fangirl whenever she dances, and I am proud that she is acknowledge as one of the best dancers in Korea. And she’s my girl.

The bathroom door opened and Momo went out on her robes. The room was filled with her scent—she uses Sweat Pea shower gel and the sweet flowery smell attacked my senses. I can’t helped it, I stepped behind her and back hug her.

“Jeong, I will get dress now..”

“You smell so good…”

She elbowed me. “No time.”

I bit her shoulders lightly. Momo leaned on me and I kissed her neck.

“Jeongie..”

I chuckled. I know she can’t resist that. I love touching and kissing her neck and shoulders.

She faced me and put her arms on my nape and tiptoed and kissed me on the lips. A loud knock on the door startled us. “Momo! Jeongyeon! Are you up?!”

Momo blushed and answered, “Yes, Ji Hyo! Will be down in a bit, Jeongyeon will shower now!”

I pulled her close for another slow and long kiss-- savouring the last warmth before we leave the dorm and start our day. 
She stuck out her tongue. I laughed. “We are not done, Moguri. You owe me one tonight.”

She winked. “Can’t wait.”
I chuckled and went to shower.
This is going to be a long day.

****

JEONGYEON

“Jeongyeon, JYP wants to see you.”

My forehead crinkled and eyebrows raised. “Me unni? Why?”

Our manager shrugged. “Do not tell the others. He specifically asked you to come up alone. I’ll accompany you to the door.”

We were preparing for the Fanmeeting later. Three hours. What possibly JYP wants with me?

We took the elevator to his office on the top of the new JYP building. I’ve been there before with the other members, but not by myself. I racked my brain for any possible thing that he wanted me to talk about. The Yes or Yes promotion is doing good, the song is up in the charts, album sales are good so…what?

“Maybe it’s something good.” Our manager assured me.

We knocked and we heard a “come in”.

“PD-nim, Jeongyeon is here.”

‘Thank you. Maybe we’ll call you after we’re done talking.”

With that Manager-unnie exited and closed the door behind her.

JYP gestured me to sit on the table. He had some food prepared for two so I figured out we will be chatting while eating.

“So how’s the promotion going on?”

I was bit surprised that he asked me about the promotion since he could have asked our managers to report those to him. But I indulged him and tell them some of our experiences with the Music Shows and Variety Shows that we’ve been.

“Jeongyeon, you’ve been in this company for almost 8 years now, and I want to tell you how proud I am of you. Do you know that you’ve been one of the most searched member in websites as of today?”

I blushed.

“Long hair suits you. Your vocals are steadier and you do live singing very well. Dancing still tires you faster?”

I laughed. “Yes PD-Nim.”

"Then go to the gym so your lungs can adjust. You’re having more and more lines now, we can’t have you breathless with one song.” 
With that I agreed.

We ate in comfortable silence when he asked, “In ten years’ time, where do you want to see yourself?”

“Hopefully, still with Twice, sir.”

“If destiny allows us why not, Jeongyeon? But you know idol life doesn’t span that long. You’re 23 now. When you are 33 do you still think you would be performing?”

I got confused where the conversation was going.

“PD-nim, are we….disbanding?”

JYP looked at me for ten seconds then he laughed.

“No, no you misunderstood me. I just want you to create a goal for yourself in the future. Let’s be realistic. By that time, there might be a lot of idols who followed you and what you have created. Have you thought of what you want to do when you are older?”

‘Probably I am still a singer? I don’t know sir. It depends where you will take us nine.” I answered honestly.

“You are very talented. Sings well. Dance well. Can write songs. You could continue that path which you build today. Your popularity right now is so enormous compare to even the last album. You’re becoming a household name. Yoo Jeong Yeon. And I hope you don’t ruin it now.”

My forehead crinkled. “Ruin it?”

JYP pulls out his cellphone and searched something. “This has been sent to just an hour ago. Maybe you haven’t checked the broadcast since you were busy earlier.” He then gave the cell phone to me to watch something.

I almost dropped his cell phone.

I recall that scene that JYP mentioned.
And it was a long day. We recorded something for section TV MBC and there was a part there where we will have to see who can speed up the MC’s heart rate through aegyo. We fell in line to see who can do it. I went to the last of the line and I hoped that I would not do it. I struggle with aegyo since I am not naturally cute unlike Momo or Sana or even Nayeon-unnie. I saw how they tried to speed his pulse and in the end, it was Sana who succeeded.

After that part there was a portion where they will play a song and anybody who wants to dance can go to the center and dance. Not interested too. But true to being a dancing machine, Momo danced to all the songs until the last song where nobody immediately went to the center because the others were still listening to the song intro. But just 3 seconds of the song, Momo went forward and sh*t! She danced ily to Despacito. Nobody went forward and the camera were all focused on her. I suddenly feel very very warm, seeing her dance on black off shoulder piece and shorts.  Twice cheered the Dancing Moguring since she’s the only one confident enough to pull that off. After that, a short press conference ensues and I was in the back, with her sitting in front of me. While the other members were answering questions from the fans, unconsciously, I still feel warm from Momo’s dance earlier. I unconsciously play with her hair while answering questions. Her dress was also distracting. From where I was standing beside her I could see creamy white shoulders and slender neck. I must be very distracted that I am not aware that I was massaging her shoulders and arms—which I always do when I am with Momo. I don’t know why, I don’t do it with the other members—before I pull her dress up to her shoulders.  All of it was caught in camera. And it didn’t help that it also caught Momo’s surprised expression with what I have done to her.

My hands trembling, I handed back the cellphone. My face was so red and tears are threatening to fall.

“PD-Nim please let me explain—“ but he raise his hand to stop me.

“I am not angry at you Jeongyeon. It was too late for me to stop the broadcast and the managers didn’t not see it since the camera was not really focused on you two. But of course knowing your fans who ship you and Momo cropped the others out and well… that’s the video that you watched.”

Tears already fell from my eyes. I am so embarrassed with PD-Nim but of course to the fans.

“Can’t I do anything sir?”

JYP shook his head. “The best is to ignore this and just go forward as usual. But it will help that you don’t fan what has already been ignited. Best if you and lay it low for a while.”

Momo. . Because of my embarassment I’ve forgotten about her and the effect of this to her.

“Please sir, it was my fault, please do not scold Momo.”

  JYP was thoughtful as he looked at me straight in the eyes.

“What is Momo to you?”

I was taken aback. It was the first time he asked me a personal question of that level.

“Sir..”

“We’ve been together for 8 years now Jeongyeon. I am your father here in this company. We are family.”

I straightened my back. “She’s special to me sir. Very special.”

“I see that. I am aware of the special bond that you both have. I am updated will all the pairings in Twice. While I find it very cute, I have to know if this will harm you and Twice in the future.  So will it?”

It took me sometime to answer so JYP spoke again.

“Do you know that Momo has a lot of offers outside Twice?”

The look on my face probably gave him the answer. “Of course Momo would not tell you that. She has been informed but she declined. She doesn’t want to do anything without Twice.”

I feel the lump in my throat. 
“She’s afraid of venturing things alone. Twice has been her comfort zone. Not that I am complaining. I would have regretted it if Momo was not in Twice. But years from now, Momo would use her experience as an idol to pursue her solo career so until then…”

I felt guilty. Did I held Momo back? Did I prevent her to grow?

“I would not tell you to stop caring for her, Jeongyeon. I just want both of you to be careful. I care for both of you. So will I have this kind of situation again in the future?
I lowered my head. “No sir.”

“I have asked your managers to guide you well. But for now, no seating near to each other. No holding hands. No hugging in public. No slapping or grabbing”

I looked at him suddenly and he laughed. “Of course I know that. I do watch JeongMo videos in Youtube. You should do too.”

I was flabbergasted.

“But seriously. I didn’t pay too much attention to that since you are still young. That’s our excuse. When you are young, you are wild and do stupid things and that’s ok. But you are 23 now. We will have no excuse anymore.”

I understand his logic. With a heavy heart, I nodded.

He stood up and for another surprise he hugged me.
“You have worked hard kids. I don’t want your hard work go to waste. Tell your members I appreciate your hard work. But you will not talk to anybody about what we have talked about ok? Not even to Momo. Understood?”
I sighed. “Yes sir.”
With that he showed me out the door. Manager unnie was not there, maybe she went down. I sat down at the sofas outside the office. I pulled out my phone and saw ten missed calls from Seungyeon. I dialled her number and she answered at the first ring. 
“Jeongyeon yah! Pabo! Why did you do that to Momo-chan?”

“I just watched it. I swear I didn’t know I was doing it like that!”

Seungyeon sighed on the other line. “What were you thinking?!”

“Apparently I was not thinking straight…All I know she was very y.”

Despite being angry Seungyeon chuckled. “We know that.”

“But still, it doesn’t look that good. The comments, well… they were insinuating that you and Momo…”

“Unnie..”

“I know, I know.”

“Please don’t tell mom and dad. Or at least don’t show it to them.”

“Even if I don’t they will probably see it sooner or later.”

“Just tell them how sorry I am.”

“Okay. Take care ok? Eat well. Call me if you want to talk.”

“Thank you unnie.”

After Seungyeon hung up I buried my face in the my hands. What mess have I done? It was very thoughtless of me, overridden with my affection to Momo—not really thinking of the consequences of my actions.

My phone rang again. This time, Momo’s picture showed up the screen. 
How will I face her?

I didn’t answer her call and then I received a text. “Where are you?”

Manager unnie suddenly came and I didn’t answer the text.

Better start now.