A Warm Gentleman & A Shy Lovely Lady

It's Fate that's Playing with us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Gwangju, 1997-

 

Taehyung never like the idea of joining his parents for the company events or activities but who is he to blame when he is still a kid that needed a guardian and his parents never like to leave him alone with the housekeepers. At times like this, the 7-year-old boy would usually be babysat by his aunt but it was unfortunate that she went oversea with his cousin. Left with no other option, he went to a remote town in Gwangju with his parents for their annual charity event at a rundown orphanage home. During the launch of the event, Taehyung got bored and walked away from his parents who were busy entertaining the media. As he walked further away from the orphanage home to a silent and isolated area, unconscious to his surroundings, he was pulled into a dark alley by two men. Despite his small body frame, he attempted to fight back but only gained him a harsh slap on his small face. The strength the man used was enough to knock off his consciousness and before he lost his conscious, he was pulled into a van. He noticed a small girl was shouting and running towards his direction. Gradually, he heard nothing and welcomed by a pitched black atmosphere.

 

He was unsure of how long, time had passed and when he regained his conscious, he found his surrounding was dark as he was blindfolded, hands tied tightly behind his back with cable tie and legs were tied together as well. The abductor made sure there is no room at all for him to escape. Although he knew it may be futile to try loosening the cable tie, but he needed to try instead of just waiting for someone to rescue him. His actions came to a stop when soft cries resounded through the dark chamber. He tried to move towards the source of the soft cries that soon turning into wrenching sobs.

 

Taehyung spoke in a low voice, “Are you caught by them as well?”

 

The owner of the cries was frightened and shrieked in fear, surprising Taehyung as he worried her sudden reaction would alarm whoever around. Her high-pitched voice gave him confirmation she was a girl.

 

“Shh…shh…lower down your voice,” Taehyung tried calming her, “you won’t want the abductor to know we are awake.”

 

For the first time in his innocent childhood life, he wanted to cuss so badly for not being able to see and feel his surroundings. He hated the fact that he can’t take control of the situation and the insecure feelings are eating him up. Her sobs had softened, and he could sense her earlier heavy breathing began to regulate to a state that he can barely be sure that she’s still respiring.

 

“Are you with me, are you okay?” he asked while tilting his body a little to touch the girl and somehow, he was lucky as he got her hand. Her small hand confirmed his guess that the girl was probably around his age or even younger. She was shaking, her palms drenched with cold sweat. “Don’t panic, calm down…we will find a way out.”

 

“W-hy are t-hey h-iding u-s here? I can’t see a-nything…m-my hands and legs a-re tied…” the small girl stuttered.

 

“We are kidnapped,” Taehyung sighed. “Why…”

 

Before he could utter another word, the screeching sound of the door opening frightened them and the small girl grasped on his hand immediately. He moved closer to her as if trying to shield her even though he’s unsure of the whole situation. Everything happened so fast that in split second, someone took off his blindfold harshly and his eyes were blinded by the piercing light coming from the outside. He tilted his head instantly before gradually opening his eyes to meet the man before him who was wearing a mask and it was difficult for them to identify who he is.

 

“What now? Trying to protect this girl when you yourself are already in trouble,” the man said, he was loud.

 

The man squatted before the small girl and smirked before caressing on her pale cheek “little girl, you wouldn’t have got yourself into his if you didn’t try to save him. Why did you even bother?”

 

The girl lowered her head and moved closer to the young boy.

 

“Stop touching her!” Taehyung said, firmly.

 

The masked man grabbed hold on his jaw and tightened his held when Taehyung moved. He was glaring at the man. “You have your father’s eyes. Even your manners are the same as him!” he released his hand from him and raised from his position. “Feed them and make sure they finish the food,” the man instructed his assistant before exiting the room.

 

The smaller sized man took the bento and seated before the two young kids. “Don’t fight back, you two are too small to achieve anything or get yourself out from here, so eat up, okay? Once your father pays up, we will release you two. We won’t harm you.”

 

“Why are you all doing this? This is not right,” the girl queried in a low voice, still hiding behind Taehyung in fear.

 

“My brother didn’t do anything wrong. It was Kim Jae Woo who conned us, he deceived us into taking up the project and made us lost everything,” the man explained. “Your father is a ruthless businessman. All he sees is only money, when we are of no use, he discarded us.”

 

“It’s business, why would you even trust anyone in the first place?” Taehyung moved away when he tried feeling him, “no one can be trusted in the world of business, to save yourself you shouldn’t trust anybody in that field.”

 

He shook his head, “hyung was right, you’re similar to your father. At such young age, you already have such thinking. It’s not going to bring you far, Taehyung-ssi, that’s not right.” Giving one last try again, he persuaded them to eat “if you really want to get out from here safely, then finish your food.”

 

The small girl turned to Taehyung and nodded her head in agreeing to what the man said. Taehyung gave in and started eating. After almost fifteen minutes, they finished the food and the man put on the blindfold for them again before closing the door, they were locked in darkness once again.

 

“What’s your name?” Taehyung asked as he leaned his back on the stack of bags behind him.

 

“Huh…”

 

“We’re friends now, aren’t we? Since you’ve known my name, wouldn’t be unfair if you don’t tell me your name?” he said.

 

“I wouldn’t have been locked here if you weren’t out there roaming around alone, you’re just a kid for goodness sake,” she sneered.

 

“Woah, I’m trying to be nice here so, why are you throwing me tantrums and for goodness sake, I didn’t ask for your help. You’re just a kid too, what can you do?” he wished he could show her his pissed face.

 

“You should really watch your manners, like you said, you’re kidnapped, and your life is literally on their hands, can’t you just stop provoking them?” she sighed, “I can’t just leave you alone knowing that you’re in danger, can I?”

 

“But we don’t even know each other, or was it because you know who I am and hoping for some monetary compensation when we are safe?”

 

“I don’t know who you are and no matter who that person is, I would’ve still interfered,” she pouted. “It’s just they were too fast, and no one was around…”

 

“So, you’re really not going to tell me your name and who you are?”

 

She chuckled and paused for a short moment as if taking cautious consideration whether to reveal her identity or not “Chou Tzuyu, an orphan of Light House. I assume, you’re the only son of our home’s sponsor.”

 

“Little girl, you shouldn’t risk yourself for some strangers,” Taehyung whispered, “It’s not worth, especially for someone you don’t even know.”

 

“How old are you? You sounded like as though you have been betrayed many times and every move you take, you need to consider the pros and cons. We are just kids…remember?”

 

“For you to analyzed me after a short span of time, you have a complicated mind too,” he nudged on her petite body with his shoulder. “Can we really get out from here safely?” his voice was unenthusiastic, he was losing hope.

 

“That ajuhssi said he would let us go once they receive the payment, didn’t he?”

 

“And why are you so sure that they would?” he tilted his head and rested on her little one. “What if my parents care less about this and don’t pay them?”

 

She grimaced as she began to feel his weight “your head is too heavy…” He did not move at all and smiled at her soothing voice “Taehyung-ssi, you should be positive, it’s pointless to worry too much about it now. I believe your parents would not abandon you.”

 

“I wonder if they even notice that I’m missing by now.”

 

“You shouldn’t be so negative; how could a wealthy boy be so negative. Even an orphan like me is more hopeful than you.”

 

“How long have you been in the orphan home?”

 

She was silent for seconds before uttering “I wonder how long more do I need to be there.”

 

Taehyung knew very well that she was scared but the thing that he never expected was she would be having nightmare almost every time she falls asleep. Every night, minutes after she’s asleep, her body would be shaking a lot. She would tremble in fear. On the fourth day, Taehyung finally loosened the cable tie with a sharp object he found on the floor when they were feeding them. He immediately freed Tzuyu and they attempted to escape knowing the kidnappers were asleep at the living room. Running towards the forest direction, the two small and petite sized kids were exhausted and after some time, they heard the familiar voice again and they know they were doomed.

 

“I’ll go divert his attention, you keep going,” Taehyung held on her small shoulder, “don’t turn back and just keep running.”

 

“No, I can’t leave you behind, we’ll leave together,” she insisted.

 

“This way none of us will get away from this . One of us have to escape and get help, GO!” he pushed her softly and signaled her to run before turning back to the source of the voice that reverberating the forest.

 

“Yah! I told you not to run!” the man held on Taehyung’s hair and pulled him back. “Where’s the girl?”

 

Taehyung winced in pain, holding firmly on the man’s wrist. As he looked up to the man, he recognized him immediately “Uncle Hon Dae?”

 

“Surprised?” Yoon Hon Dae’s brow arched, “you should have expected this to happen sooner or later. Your father is the most ruthless and cruel man on earth, he took all my money and ruined my family! He destroyed my company!”

 

“It’s he being ruthless or you being useless for losing your money?” Taehyung queried, defiantly.

 

Yoon Hon Dae raised his arm and Taehyung was ready to be hit as he looked away and waited for the pain but he didn’t feel any instead a loud squeak was heard. He opened his eyes only to see Tzuyu shielding him and accepted the strike for him.

 

Taehyung immediately helped her up, “Yah pabo, why did you come back?”

 

She grimaced in pain and held tightly on Taehyung’s hand “I never leave you behind the first time, why would I leave you now?”

 

“Do you know how much I’ve lost?” Hon Dae shouted, “Your father took everything away from me, it was him who deceived me into that, it was a trap.”

 

“Hyung, it’s not his kids’ fault, they are innocent.”

 

Taking hold of the gun behind his pants pocket, he pulled the trigger and pointed at Taehyung “How are they innocent? My wife is innocent too, it was killed by his family. If I can’t get back my money, I’ll take his son from him. He should pay for his father’s sin!”

 

Tzuyu cried as he interlocked his fingers with her small ones, she could feel his hand quivering. “Let her go, it’s not her fault. It’s my father’s sin so rightfully I should be the one who is paying it. It’s none of her business.”

 

She shook her head “d-don’t do this…h-his father will come…”

 

“Hyung, we’ve agreed not to kill them,” the smaller man tried convincing Hon Dae.

 

Hon Dae howled and pointed the gun upwards and fired a few shots. Both Taehyung and Tzuyu held on one another tightly upon hearing the deafening gun shot sound. Suddenly, Yoon Hon Dae stopped his action as the long sound of police car sirens filled the forest.

 

“Hyung…police are here,” the smaller man panicked.

 

“Drop your weapon and raise your hand!” the group of police pointed their gun towards both the men and before Yoon Hon Dae could react, he was pushed and pressed down by one of the police from behind. Yoon Hon Dae laid flatly on the ground and yelled “Kim Jae Woo, you sinner!!!”

 

Taehyung who was rescued by a lady police halted his steps and turned back to the agonizing yell, feeling uneasy. The little girl beside him somehow could read his mind, “let’s go, police unnie is bringing us to the ambulance to treat your wound.”

 

“Excuse me, sir” Taehyung looked up to the first aider, “could you check on her as well, she was whacked on the back earlier.”

 

“I’m okay…” she waved her hands frantically.

 

“Don’t worry, once I’m done with you, I’ll do a checkup on her,” the man who was cleaning the wound on his knee assured.

 

Taehyung nodded, “why are you so silly, you shouldn’t have shielded me.”

 

“Because a rich kid like you won’t get to endure it,” she shrugged her shoulders, nonchalantly.

 

“I’m not those typical rich boys!”

 

“But you speak like one…”

 

“Both of you are really lucky that the police found the note you all left behind, if not they wouldn’t have traced your location in such a short time.”

 

“You meant the braille note? They really found it?” she was surprised.

 

He nodded, “yes. You all left the car plate number on the note.”

 

“You mean, you know braille?” Taehyung was amazed.

 

She lowered her head, shyly “I just learned the basic in the orphanage home.”

 

 

-Seoul, 2017-

 

After a brief conversation with his foster father, Namjoon headed straight to Taehyung’s study room. The door wasn’t locked and he found the younger man asleep on his massage chair with a book in hand. When he suddenly opened his eyes and stared at Namjoon in fear, the older man knew he was haunted by his nightmare again.

 

“That bittersweet dream again?” Namjoon took a seat on the couch.

 

Taehyung nodded before placing the book on the side table.

 

“Someone told me, if we think too much about certain things, we would dream about it.” Turning to his brother, Namjoon said “it’s pointless to keep thinking and dreaming about her. It’s not going to change the fact that she’s married.”

 

Taehyung sighed, heavily “you knew I’d been having the same nightmare ever since the incident.”

 

“But you’re always happy whenever you recalled about the incident you shared with her.” Namjoon frowned.

 

“I seriously don’t understand why are you always nagging me on this, I’ve told you that I’m not changing anything or will I try to change anything.” Taehyung said and gulped down the glass of water.

 

“I just don’t want you to have your feelings dwelling on your best friend’s wife,” Namjoon said, as if giving him a reminder again.

 

Avoiding the topic again like he always does, Taehyung asked “why are you in my study room?”

 

“Appa wants you to be actively involved in all the pre-events of the Winter Olympics since we are the main sponsor.” Namjoon handed his Note 9 to Taehyung to check on the schedules.

 

Taehyung shook his head, feeling restless “I don’t understand why is he so persistent for me to attend all these events. It’s always Aunt Tae Hee who manage these.”

 

Namjoon had a teasing smile on his face, “Well, appa wants you to have a cleaner and positive image. In the world of business, you’re the almighty ruthless 2nd in line to the empire of JW Group who only cares about profit in business and in your personal world, you’re the cruelest Casanova. Such image is a big taboo to the board members.”

 

Taehyung snorted “profit and money are the only things the board interested, aren’t they? He can’t blame me for that.”

 

“Yes, they are, but they will never admit to it,” Namjoon agreed “works aside, I’ve gotten Yeri to block your calendar.”

 

“For what?”

 

“For the dinner with Park Family,” Namjoon revealed, “Uncle Park is introducing his daughter to us this weekend.”

 

“Daughter?” Taehyung was surprised, “he has a daughter? I’ve not heard about this from his son.”

 

Namjoon nodded in agreement “it seems they’ve been hiding her from the business world and media so she could live an ordinary peaceful life and to achieve her dream.”

 

“I believe this would not be just a simple dinner to introduce his daughter to us,” Taehyung looked up to his brother, serious “he must have something up his sleeve, that Park Min Hyuk.”

 

“Looks like it, and our parents are pleased with it too. I’m curious to who she is,” Namjoon tapped his index finger on his chin.

 

Taehyung shook his head and smirked “for his business, Park Min Hyuk is using all kind of ways. Here I am listening to your description on his reasons of hiding his daughter, wanting to protect her from this competitive field, but there he is selling her daughter’s happiness to someone for his own business.” Lowering his head, he chuckled, sadly “that’s how our world works, pathetic…”

 

-

 

Ending the long and embarrassing phone call with the President of JW Group, the man was clearly fatigued by the lengthy conversation. He had received the call right after landing in Seoul and he can’t express how enraged he was after knowing what his father done during his absence. Walking into his office, it irked him even more to see his father in his room. His face darkened instantly and his secretary knew she is in trouble for allowing that to happen.

 

“Great, you came at a right time,” he placed his briefcase in the drawer and seated on his overwhelming throne, the seat he took over from his father 4 years ago. “I heard that you met JW Group and created a mess.”

 

“Park Jimin, where’s your manners?” Park Min Hyuk wasn’t pleased with his son’s way of speaking to him.

 

Jimin tried not raising his voice and to control himself from lashing at the man before him “Why did you went ahead with the meeting without me, you know that I’m working on the changes for the proposal.”

 

“But there wasn’t any progress!” the older man yelled.

 

Jimin got up from his seat wanting to slam his hands on the table but controlled his temper as he held on his hips looking away to calm himself. “I’ve told you time and again that our initial proposal wasn’t something JW wants and we have to rework on the strategy.” Throwing his tablet down on the table, he continued “what you have presented the other day, they have seen it and the follow-up meeting, we were supposed to show them a new developed proposal and you just ruined it. I’ve said many times to let me handle Taehyung, what you did that day only made him feel disgusted.”

 

“Things wouldn’t have turned out this way if you’ve kept me informed with things,” Park Min Hyuk crossed his arms before his chest, still not understanding the problems he had caused.

 

“I’ve been updating you constantly but it’s you who refused to accept how this generation people is working,” Jimin was frustrated. Leaning forward while pressing his hands on the table for support, he warned his father “Ex- CEO of MH Resort, may I remind you again on our agreement previously. You’ve no rights in meddling the operations here, anymore. But if you really want to take back this seat, then go and clean up your name and claim it back. Till then, don’t interfere on my decisions again.”

 

Park Min Hyuk tightened his fists, he knew he can’t fight his son for now.

 

Seeing his father’s silence, Jimin knew he had won the argument for now. He seated down again, “we are in the final stage of the research and should be able to finalized the proposal in a week’s time. I’ll speak to Taehyung again.”

 

“No hurry, I’ve found a better and faster way to seal this deal.” Park Min Hyuk smirked. “All you need to do is to ensure your sister come for the dinner with the Kims and listen to you like she always do.”

 

Jimin frowned at the mention of the person he came to loathed.

 

-

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Incheon International Airport,” The pilot announced as they landed on the runway and continued to explain on the safety measure as he manned the plane towards the dropping point. “On behalf of Korean Air and the entire crew, I’d like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a good evening!”

 

“We have finally arrived, I’ll just quickly briefed you on your main schedules and the key events the ministry of sports had arranged for you,” Jennie checked on her planner.

 

The skater wasn’t really paying her full attention and gradually her mind drifted away from the information Jennie was telling her. At the arrival hall, a massive group of reporters and supporters had been waiting for hours for her arrival. The moment the sliding door opened revealing Irene Park; blinding camera flashes filled the hall. She carefully made her steps towards the exit with her usual cold exterior and only bowed in respect when the people surrounding her began to called out her name continuously, and that small actions were enough to stirred up their chants. Sehun escorted Irene to the car where Chanyeol was already waiting at the pick-up entrance.

 

“Are we heading to the Park Mansion first?” Sehun asked.

 

“No,” Irene said firmly, “straight to the hotel.”

 

Jennie turned to her, “you have something planned?”

 

“It’s just a short 2 weeks stay, we don’t have to report ourselves at the mansion,” Irene said while leaning her head against the seat headrest. “I don’t wish to meet anyone unless I’m required by the ministry or council.” She looked out from the car window; face plastered with exhaustion.

 

Driving past the familiar buildings she used to admire a lot during her early childhood days, she can’t help to feel her heart getting heavy when she was overwhelmed with memories from the past. The recollection of memory of the very first warming meeting she had with her brother flowed in her mind.

 

-Seoul, 1999-

 

It was her first day in her new school, everything seems so foreign to her. At a tender age of 7, she doesn’t know what was ‘nouveau riche’ all about. She tried to brave herself and speak to the people around her but none wish to be associated with her after hearing rumors about her status as a nouveau riche child. Every second, every minute was a great torture to her. She wasn’t sure what ought to be done other than staying alone quietly at the back of the class. Kids in the class were always staring at her with a disdainful look and mockery teases. One day, her homeroom teacher, the only person who knows her real identity as the daughter of the MH Resort founder, found her crying alone in the literature club’s room.

 

“Park Jimin, you need to check on your sister,” the lady had called him to the staff room, “she’d been hiding in the literature club during recess time and keep crying. No matter how many times I asked her, she refused to tell me what’s wrong. Perhaps she’s new and still can’t adapt to the system here. As the elder one, you should be more caring to her.”

 

Jimin bowed, “I’m sorry to troubled you, Han seonsaeng.”

 

“She’s in the infirmary room now,” she said before holding on the small boy’s shoulder, “it’s never easy to be an heir to the conglomerate family. You two are family, you should look out for each other.”

 

Running down the flights of stairs, he rushed to the infirmary room and found his sister’s soft sobs. She was hiding at the corner of the room, squatted down next to the bed. If he didn’t search the room, he wouldn’t have found her. Getting down on a knee, he stared into her reddened eyes. Her face was flushed by tears.

 

“Why are you hiding here?” he offered his hand, wanting to help her up but she looked away, worriedly. “I don’t bite…”

 

“B-but…you looked…f-fierce…” she uttered.

 

Rummaging his blazer pocket, he took out a small pack of gummy “I’ll give you this if you stop crying and listen to me.”

 

She lowered her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter