Without A Reason

It's Fate that's Playing with us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“If you’re here to look for President Kim,” the young woman got up from her seat before bowing to the man before her, “you’re 1 minute late, Mr. Kim.” She gathered all the files, tidily “He just went out.”

 

“I thought he doesn’t have any meetings today, where did he go?” the tall man’s eyebrows furrowed and crossed his arms before his chest. “Great, I need his confirmation on the list of the litigation cases.”

 

“Although I know his whereabouts, but I would suggest for you to check with him whether he has the time or interest,” she pointed on his file, “on those cases. I’ll be leaving in another ten minutes, let me know if you can join me, Mr. Kim.”

 

“Arghh…this man is really killing me!”

 

-

 

Entering the prestige shopping mall one of the distinguished projects completed by their group few years ago, he walked in haste steps towards the bookshop which his brother’s assistant told him earlier. He wondered when did his brother took a new hobby in reading all of a sudden when he hated books all this while. It took him months to convinced him to read the billion-dollar worth agreement, thus, he was really intrigued to know which author could make him read and get the book himself personally. Seeing the long queue in front of the bookshop, it surprised him even more.

 

“Wow Kim Taehyung, this is amazing,” he clapped his hands while shaking his head not wanting to accept the fact that his brother was actually queueing for a book. “You are actually here in this long line for that book?” he eyed on the bunting that promoted the new release of the book. “Tears? What’s this book all about?”

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes, “done talking, my turn now?”

 

“Go ahead…”

 

“Why are you even here, Kim Namjoon?” Taehyung’s brow raised, questioningly.

 

“That’s not an answer to all the questions that I’d asked,” Namjoon tucked his hand into his pants pocket. “So, you really going to queue all day long?” checking out on the people in the line, he said “there are about another 70 plus before you.”

 

“I sent Taehyun over a little late last night, so couldn’t get a good spot” Taehyung tiptoed and checked “she’s a great author, you should try reading her books. Worldwide bestseller.”

 

“Her name is Tears? That’s weird…”

 

“What’s so weird? She writes heart wrenching love stories and how ones struggles in life not just purely on love,” Taehyung smiled, describing his favorite author. “Let me take a picture and send to her, to prove that I’m really queueing,” he took a photo of his queuing number from his phone and began to work his fingers on the website.

 

“You mean you know her?” Namjoon’s eyes widened.

 

Taehyung chuckled “all the readers know her, we communicate through her official website.” Eyes glued on his phone, he somehow noticed his brother’s annoyance “I promised her that I would queue personally for this book.”

 

“Oh, come on,” Namjoon rubbed on his nape “don’t be a fanboy, Kim Taehyung.”

 

“So, what brought you here?” Taehyung turned to him.

 

“You wanted to have the list of litigation cases, remember?”

 

“But you never block my calendar,” Taehyung shrugged, innocently.

 

He turned towards the direction Namjoon looking at when chatters from the line averted both their attention. They looked up to the big LED screen at the concourse that was showing the latest sports news.

 

“Woah…she won again…” “Our nation’s pride, she even broke Im Yoona’s record…”

 

“Impressive, she won the world championships again,” Namjoon commented while watching on the highlights of the news.

 

“Who is that?”

 

“Gosh, you don’t know who is she, for real? Im Yoona’s successor.”

 

Looking at the taller man, Taehyung noticed how focus he was on the news. “you like her? Other than business news, I’ve never seen you so into a news.”

 

Turning to the younger man, Namjoon said “do you really not know how well respected she is by the nation? Despite her cool personality, people in the country still love her dearly. She has contributed a lot to the country and in the same time, she often returns to the society, huge donations.”

 

“Look, you don’t know this famous author too. She had contributed so much to the nation’s literature,” Taehyung made a face, irritated by Namjoon’s statement “no big deal if I don’t know who is that lady…”

 

Namjoon snorted, “right, right, right, keep queuing. I’ll wait for you at the coffee house on ground floor, don’t you dare try to escape. It’s urgent, I need your confirmation to get things move.”

 

-

 

Hands in the pockets, Taehyung leisurely ambled towards Namjoon who was seated at the corner with a book in hand. “You really waited here for an hour?”

 

Closing his book, Namjoon looked up to the man he came to love and hate “and you thought I was joking when I said I have something urgent waiting for your confirmation?” checking on the younger man’s hands he tilted his head “where’s that book?”

 

“Kept in a place safely,” Taehyung smiled his signature boxy smile with his nose scrunched childishly. Only when he’s with Namjoon, he could be himself, be the carefree boy he always wanted to be all these years.

 

Namjoon heaved a sigh before bringing out his ipad to briefed the man who turned serious upon seeing the list of cases in the report. All these years, Namjoon hated to put on more burden to Taehyung, he wished he could do more for him, ease his burden. But he knew very well and better than anyone else that he has no right to share his burden for Kim Taehyung owns a life that had been pre-destined. A life filled with responsibilities that forced him grew up faster than anyone else as he is the sole heir to JW Group, the great empire built by Kim Jae Woo.

 

“I don’t agree to bring that case to court,” Taehyung’s brow knitted upon speaking of the recent issue the property development team faced. “That company’s capital isn’t that strong, it’s unwise to sue them at this stage. Let’s mitigate our risks, get Minho to discuss an early settlement with them before other creditors hunt them.”

 

“Great, I’ll clean this up and send out the reports to all HODs and get them work for you,” Namjoon winked, trying to get his brother loosened up from the stress he gave him.

 

Taehyung can’t help but forced out a smile and rolled his eyes while shaking his head “hyung, you’d changed.”

 

“In what aspect?” Namjoon rested his chin on his clasped fingers.

 

Taehyung shrugged, “you don’t act like the old you. Why, are you feeling sorry for the life that I’m going through now?”

 

Namjoon was stunned for a moment upon hearing that from him, baffled by how he read his mind. And Taehyung could sense it too, “I’m just joking hyung. I’m living a good life now; you don’t have to worry about me. We change as we grow, that’s the cycle of life.”

 

“The one that really changed is you, Kim Taehyung,” Namjoon said as a matter of fact, “eomma said that you don’t against their decision on the arranged marriage. So, you’re going to be a filial son and accept it?”

 

“It’s about time to settle down, that’s one of the ways to prove to the board that I’m ready, I’ve stabilized.” Taehyung took a sip of his drink and continued “I don’t see it as a problem. After all, I don’t seem to find an ideal woman to get the title of Mrs. Kim. I’ll just leave it to eomma and appa.”

 

“If only you weren’t messing around then, you’ve met your miss right long ago. You would have been the one who is married now.”

 

“Yah hyung,” Taehyung frowned, “that’s a past, don’t ever mention it again.”

 

Namjoon sighed, “you still think she’s the little girl who got kidnapped with you then? I really doubted it.”

 

“I’m certain it was her,” Taehyung said, firmly.

 

Brushing off the solemn atmosphere, Namjoon queried “so, who is shortlisted into Kim Taehyung’s future wife potential list? Appa told me eomma is even digging into your high school ex-classmates’ profiles.”

 

“Speak of the devil,” Taehyung brought up his ringing phone, it was his mother. “Like I said, I don’t really mind.” 

 

“Mr. Kim, you should leave for your next schedule,” his young assistant informed him.

 

“Will be at the drop-off area in 5 minutes,” Taehyung smiled to his cousin assistant.

 

“Yeri’s coolness reminds me so much of Aunt Tae Hee,” Namjoon said while shaking his head, smiling.

 

“Even more savage than Aunt Tae Hee,” Taehyung whispered, jokingly before taking his leave.

 

-

 

“Oh yes, I remember,” the lady in her mid-fifty laughed elegantly upon recalling the memories she shared with her ex-schoolmate. “That was so many decades ago, our kids have grown up too.”

 

“Your boys were still teenagers when I last saw them, how’s Namjoon doing by the way?” the other lady asked. Before she could ask further, the door of their private room opened revealing the tall and stern man.

 

“You’re finally here Taehyung,” the lady held on her son’s arm, “let me introduce to you, this Mrs. Im, my ex-schoolmate and the young lady is Im’s family only daughter…”

 

“Ms. Im Nayeon, right,” Taehyung interrupted before reaching out his hand to the pale young lady.

 

Nayeon extended out her hand for him, surprised how he pecked on her front fingers, lightly.

 

“Both of you know each other?” Mrs. Im was curious.

 

“We met during Jeon’s family event,” Nayeon cut in uneasily.

 

“That’s right, during the after party we had in the club in Gangnam,” Taehyung smirked.

 

“Club?” Mrs. Im turned to Nayeon with a hard glare.

 

Feeling awkward with the sudden gloomy atmosphere, Mrs. Kim smiled “take a seat, I’ll get the waiter to serve the food.”

 

During lunch, both Mrs. Kim and Mrs. Im tried getting Taehyung and Nayeon into the conversation but it was evident that the young fair lady was behaving strangely and avoided direct eye contact. Taehyung’s constant attempts in talking to her was obviously making her troubled and ill at ease. Her anxious body language expressed how restless she was and it somehow gave satisfaction to the man as the smug never leave his face.

 

“Sorry, I’ll excuse myself to the washroom,” Nayeon got up.

 

“I’ll accompany you,” Taehyung wiped his lips gently with the napkin before rising from his seat.

 

“You don’t have too…” Nayeon mumbled, her voice was shaking.

 

“They are upgrading the nearby toilet, you have to walk a pretty long distance, let him go with you,” Mrs. Kim patted on Taehyung’s back, urging him to lead the way.

 

Once they were out from the room, Taehyung grabbed hold on Nayeon’s wrist and pulled her towards a secluded area and pinned her on the wall. He moved nearer to her, when she tried loosening his hand from him. The familiar strong perfume smell was making him sick as his nose tip touched on her chin down to her exposed shoulder blade.

 

“Stop it, Kim Taehyung!”

 

“I bet your mum don’t know how you use your body for a bet on guys,” his hand trailed down on her smooth arm, making goosebumps grew on it “that’s how we first met, forgotten? Should I remind you with my actions, how we first communicated, on bed?” he whispered in her ear, holding on her shoulder firmly when she tried fighting back again.

 

“Don’t go overboard, Kim Taehyung. I can also tell your mum everything…”

 

Taehyung snorted, “go ahead, my mother knows everything unlike Mrs. Im. You must have thought your date today was hyung.” Lowering his hand down to her inner thigh, he said “for a woman who would throw her body to any men, what makes you think you worth for my brother?”

 

“Taehyung…” her breathing became uneven under his touch.

 

“Don’t think I’ve forgotten what you’ve done to her in the past and what you did during her wedding,” his face darkened.

 

Nayeon laughed, “you’re still head over heels for that foster girl, he’s married to Jeon…ahhh…”

 

She shouted in pain when Taehyung pulled her hair with strength, “let this be my last warning, don’t ever go near her again or you and your family would be in trouble.”

 

She grasped on his wrist, “what do you want from me?”

 

“Don’t even dream that you and your family could get something out from this, I won’t agree to it if the bride is you. So back off by yourself, I hope I’ve made myself clear,” he released her and dangerously gentle, ran his hand on her hair.

 

Back in the private room, Nayeon pretended to be sick as she asked for her mother to leave immediately. Both Nayeon and Mrs. Im left the hotel uncomfortably while Mrs. Kim awkwardly sent them off, knowing her son must have done something to the poor lady. Before getting back into the room, eyeing hardly on her troublesome son.

 

“Yah Kim Taehyung, you didn’t disagree to it so what’s with all these acts, boycotting?” Mrs. Kim’s both arms held on her hips.

 

Wrapping his arm around his mother shoulder, Taehyung said “eomma, I wouldn’t have any complain if she is a decent girl instead of someone who I've touched before.”

 

“Oh god, you even laid your hand on Nayeon before?” she looked up to her son, eyes widened in shock.

 

“Don’t let her exterior deceived you,” he winked, mischievously.

 

“Just what on earth do you kids do these days, your relationships are too complicated,” Mrs. Kim sighed. “If you were just a little humble and weren’t showing your pride so much that day, Park Chaeyoung fits what you need.”

 

“Rose Park...my life would be bored to death...”

 

“You this rascal!” Mrs. Kim playfully hit his arm as they walked out from the restaurant and bumped into the owner of the hotel. “Oh Mr. Park...”

 

“Such a coincidence, Mrs. Kim,” Mr. Park greeted before turning to Taehyung. “Good to see you again, Taehyung.”

 

“Uncle Park,” Taehyung bowed to the older man, respectfully.

 

“Have you all taken your lunch?”

 

“We were having lunch at the Japanese restaurant, the food was really nice,” Mrs. Kim said.

 

“I’ll make a move first,” Taehyung bowed before making his way towards his assistant.

 

“Your son is blushing, a side I've not seen before,” Mr. Park sounded curious and amused.

 

Mrs. Kim giggled “he was worried that I would let you know he’s here for a blind date.”

 

Mr. Park chortled “our children are of an age to get married. Time flies...”

 

-

 

Staying alert with the surrounding, his eyes never leave the petite figure skater on stage. He checked on his watch for the last time before speaking to the mic attached to his blazer while holding on his translucent earpiece, making sure his partner is ready and standby to the nation’s jewel out from the ice arena safely.

 

“The Q&A session has ended, thank you very much for attending the winners’ press conference,” the host signaled to the young lady who had been standing by the side of the stage throughout the media press conference.

 

“We’ll leave after the debrief session with Coach Sung Ryung,” the tanned lady whispered to the skater before escorting her out from the room.

 

Reporters and photographers who were present in the room swarmed towards the just crowned world champion upon seeing her leaving the room. Explosion of lights from the flashes of cameras were blinding the pint-sized lady. She looked vulnerable in the sea of people surrounding her and thrown with the never ending vicious and venomous questions in relation to the recent incident. It broke down her composure.

 

“Irene, tell us about the assassination…”

 

“Someone attempted to kill you again?”

 

“Is this linked to the previous abduction case?”

 

“Irene Park, are you planning to retire?”

 

“Is it because you’re afraid of the assassin?”

 

“There are speculations that you’re getting married, is that true?”

 

Irene halted her strive in breaking free from the crowd to exit the room “I have mentioned during the press conference, the sports council would attend to your queries officially in regards to the recent incidents and I would not give any comments to it. About the speculations, if there’s any good news, I’ll make sure to share with everyone. Thank you for everyone’s concerns and caring.” She bowed her head and for the first time, a warm smile plastered on her face surprising everyone in the room.

 

Sounds of cameras clicks reverberated in the room and blinding light from the camera flashes surrounded Irene again the very second, she smiled. Holding on the reliable hand, she allowed her personal bodyguard led her out from the room together with her companion. It took them great effort to get rid of the media and rushed into the athletes waiting room. As she opened the door, she was welcomed by the familiar tender and elegant smile of the team head coach.

 

The woman in white Fila sports attire opened forth her arms, greeting the young lady “Congratulations World and Olympic Champion, Irene Park!”

 

Wrapping her arms around her coach, she felt herself melting in the warm embrace. “Thank you, I thought you couldn’t make it, Coach Sung Ryung.”

 

“I saw your medal ceremony and I was in the media press conference too,” Sung Ryung tightened her arms “what’s with that smile? Never expect that from our Ice Princess. The sudden change of demeanor made me feel distant.”

 

Irene chuckled, “thought you all always wanted me to be friendlier in public?”

 

“Not all of a sudden, Irene,” Sung Ryung turned to the two who stood by the doorway watching them.

 

Irene got the sign “Jennie, Sehun, if you don’t mind, could you please excuse us for a moment?”

 

Jennie nodded “buzz me when you are done, Sehun will be on standby outside.”

 

Kim Sung Ryung watched them exited the room and heaved a long sigh “I can see you have tightened the security even more. Those days, if Sehun is on duty Chanyeol would take his off so that at least they’re not worn out. Nowadays, even Chanyeol is keeping you safe from afar.”

 

Irene lowered her head; her voice was low and weary “I don’t think I can ever let my guard down. Whenever I thought things would be fine, it always come back again. The recent incident was too alarming.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter