2. ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟᴘʜᴀ

NCT : Nᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ Cʀɪᴍᴇ Tᴇᴀᴍ
II
THE ALPHA
 

The man had come into work today feeling much more down than usual although most of the officers wouldn't have noticed his dampened mood due to the resting poker face he had. However, his friends could easily notice his change in mood and all of them knew the reason why.

It was the first day the new SIU unit would be meeting up and Taeyong hadn't gotten any news of him being involved in the new unit. He had pestered Haeun on and on to have him added into the unit but the woman had just ignored any of his questionings. There was no news of him being part of the SIU unit and although he knew he shouldn't be so saddened by it, he was a bit disappointed.

As he sat down on his desk, his eyes glanced up to the clock above. "She should be here..." he wondered, his focus diverting to the entrance of the station and sure enough the tall detective walked by. She spared a fraction of her attention towards the other officers as they stood up to greet her and as she was about to walk past his desk, he had a tiny bit of hope that she would stop by his desk and give him the good news. However, all she did was walk past him and head straight towards her office.

"Stop looking at her like that," his friend had said once he saw Taeyong continue to stare at the door Haeun had closed. "You've been chasing her for god knows how long. I don't think Chief Haeun would even think of dating you."

"He's just upset that Chief Haeun didn't pick him to be on the new SIU unit," another chimed in, looking up from his screen and looking at Taeyong. “Everyone knows just how much he likes to be partnered up with her – his crush on her isn’t exactly subtle.”

Taeyong simply let out a sigh, not in the mood to retaliate towards them. Taking in a deep breath, he opened up the case they were currently working on – he didn’t have time to dwell in misery when there was work to be done. As he flipped through the next page, he heard hurried steps and looked up to see Ten walking hastily towards Haeun’s office with a huge smile on his face. He noted the cup of coffee in his hand and guessed that it was for Haeun.

He could feel his heart beating fast when he saw the way Haeun managed to break into a subtle smile as Ten handed her the coffee. The man closed the door behind her as the two of them made their way to the new SIU unit – of course, Ten would be part of that unit with her, it only made sense. His eyes still followed her as he watched Ten hug her before clinging to her arm. He was always big on skinship between the two of them.

“You’ll bore a hole right through her if you keep on staring,” Taeyong felt his friend smack the top of his head with a file and snapped him out of it. “I just got this for you. Seems like it was urgent.” He handed Taeyong the file before walking back to his desk. Curious, he opened it with the thought it was another case for them.

Instead what he read made him jump out of his seat and rush to the new department he was assigned to. He couldn’t help but grin from ear to ear as he read the letter in his head over and over as he was running.

Haeun had asked him to be part of the team.

Not like he doubted her or anything of the sort.

Taeyong opened the door, his eyes landing on Haeun who had that smile on her face that nearly made his heart burst.

“Glad you could make it,” she spoke before she gestured to the empty seat amongst the new and familiar faces. “We’re just about to get started.”

Taeyong gave her a smile, taking the seat – not really caring who he had sat next to.

He was here and she was here too.

That was all he needed to stay.

 

 
 AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

A short intro to our Alpha, Lee Taeyong!