1ST PORTRAIT: HER Life

Portrait Of You
The dusk is gradually approaching thus the noise of fast pace of blue-collared and white-collared people going home emerge at the side streets also the loud chattering of students having their sweet moment while enjoying the street food whom came after from an arduous preliminary exam day.

Kwon Mirae also loom at the streets after getting off at her bus station which is near her neighborhood. She also had difficult day today due the stress coming from the upcoming Entrance Examination Day of the senior high school students. But what occupied her mind is all the bullying she had to go throughout the day at school and the acting she need to do when she return home.

From the day she reached the age of 10, she already knew she is indifferent but she didn’t accept it at first. She ignored that idea. However, as day passes by, she felt that there something not right. She felt that she shouldn’t be the way she looks to be. Thus, bit by bit, she change herself. The way she talk. The way she walk. The way she dress.

Hence, the bullying starts. The society she belongs to doesn’t still have the heart to accept what it is outside the norm.

She is not bullied because of her looks. On the contrary of how she acts, she is pretty. Not blindingly beautiful that can be compare to famous actresses like Jun Jihyun or Suzy but her face is regal. She is elegantly beautiful like a royal, because her father has a bloodline of royalty from her great grandmother. Regardless of that, she didn’t notice that good trait she had. All she can think of she is struggling because of identity crisis.

Furthermore, she is outcasted of the reason she doesn’t know. All she knows, kids around her age purposely shun her or make a fool out of her. The only friend she had is the opposite of her. She thought that her friend must be the daughter of her parents not her. Bae Joohyun is the kind of girl her father wants her to become. She is attractively pretty. She dresses well. She walks gracefully. She talks gracefully. And all things connected to her is either pretty or beautiful.

Her reverie was halt when her phone vibrated. She fished out her phone in her MLB hoodie’s pocket.  After she get off her phone out of her clothes’ compartment that’s when she pay attention to her surroundings and realized that she is in front of the gate of their house. She enter the key of their gate which is dangling on her neck alongside with the dog tag Joohyun give her in the previous year as a birthday present which is technically it is a couple  pendant, which the other half is a heart shape necklace whom the latter owns, but because she doesn’t want anything related to feminine adornments she insist on having a dog tag.

She went inside their spacious garden and went inside her house and was greeted by the maids and her mother. Here we go again. She sigh.

“Hey darling! How’s school?” Her mother affectionately said

“It’s fine mom. Same old thing. Nothing new. Except for the fact that subjects is continuously becoming onerous.” She complained while adding softness in her voice.

“Aww… that’s alright darling. Its how the way life is. Anyway, I’ve cooked your favorite dish, lasagna. You want to eat already?”

“Sure mom. I will just go to my room to wash up and go downstairs when I’m ready, ok?” she smiled brightly to her mom before she retreated to her room.

She goes upstairs and went to her bedroom. She opens her door and face her dreading pink-colored room. Her room’s wallpaper has a floral themed into it with a taffy color in the background.  Her bed is fuscia colored with lace embellishment. Her carpet is rose-colored and so do her vanity table and working table. Her PC is rose-gold colored.

This is what she hates whenever she is coming home.

Everything screams femininity. Every single detail in her room screams that it’s a room of the daughter of the Kwon household.

And another thing she hates.

She hates being the only child. She hates doing an act every time she came home. She hates being controlled. She hates being the good girl. She hates not being to speak her mind.

After she washed up, she suddenly realize that her phone vibrate earlier and she temporarily forgot that. She immediately pick up her phone and unlocks it and read the notifications from someone who messaged her. She easily recognized that her best friend sent a message. She open the messaging app and tap her name where their conversation is held. Her nose scrunches when she read the message.

It’s just a video clip with a caption stating like this: “Please do watch it and support him.”

She was puzzled in what her best friend sent her. Joohyun knows that she doesn’t like pop genre songs.   Its not she hated it. She is not just interested in listening to Hallyu songs. She like songs with acoustic guitar accompaniment or with electric guitar but as loud as rock songs.

However, just like the saying ‘curiousity kils the cat’, she open the video and watch it until the end. While watching the video clip, she slowly start to felt a warmth feeling in the pit of her stomach. She felt something ticklish also. She felt something she never felt for the past 19 years of her life. She felt something she never felt in every boy she met except for this boy with a Cheshire-lips.