06.

Unripe

The next morning, Jungkook wakes so early even the sun hadn’t risen. For a moment, he has a panic, forgetting where he was. He sits up alone in bed. Turning his head to the floor where Hoseok had sat last night and then to the door. He censors his senses, trying to focus on even the slightest of movements from Hoseok.

 “He’s still asleep, good.”

 Jungkook reaches into his bag at the foot of his bed, pulling a clean shirt from inside. He dresses in the most modest clothes he owns. He hides his figure in an oversized dress shirt he’d taken from his father’s closet, olive-colored trousers, and a flat cap to be discrete.

 Jungkook slips out without waking Hoseok. He doesn’t think far enough ahead as to what Hoseok will think when he wakes, but then again, Jungkook hopes he’ll be back by then. A short walk from the orchard brings Jungkook to the center of town. Everywhere he looked, he had been embroidered with different colored roses to emphasize the town name. 

 He encounters a stand under a tent. From underneath, A man in a dirtied apron sorts out flowers and spices into crates. The man notices Jungkook staring and promptly welcomes him over with a wave of his hand.

 “Interested in buying anything from the market, son?”

 “Selling any produce these days?”

 “I’m afraid not; nobody has the land for that kind of crops.”

 “None at all?

 “It wasn’t always like that, years ago, we would have an abundance of fruits and vegetables every week, but the Bae family responsible for that supply have since abandoned us.”

 Jungkook can’t help but frown at the sound of his maternal surname. He feels strange remorse over the actions of his family.

 “Thank you for the information.”

 “Happy to help. I hope to see you around, good sir.”

 “You will.”

 Jungkook tips his cap to the man, turning back and heading back to the orchard. As he is leaving, he catches a glimpse of a man with ash blonde hair long enough to tuck behind his ear. Swinging from that same ear was a silver trinket. Instinctively, Jungkook reaches across the crowd. His hand wraps around the curve of the man’s shoulder, unintentionally yanking him back. Now facing Jungkook, Taehyung’s glossy white eyes search the space in a panic.

 Jungkook drops his hand immediately, regretting his choice immediately.

 “I’m sorry, Taehyung. It’s just me, Jungkook. I didn’t mean to scare you, I just wasn’t sure if that was you and thought I’d take the chance.”

 Taehyung fixes his posture and relaxes his expression.

 “You should know better than to grab someone like me.”

 “It seems I didn’t think that far ahead.”

 “Well not that you’ve given me a heart attack, what did you need?”

 “Need? I just wanted to greet you again. Am I not supposed to do that? Would you rather I not approach you?”

 “I never said that. Just… at least say hello when you see me next time.”

 “I’ve taken note of that.”

 People come and go around the two as they stand in the center of the dirt road. This time of day seems to attract most of the townsfolk. When Jungkook refocuses back on Taehyung, his hand is on his chest, breathing heavily.

 “I see you’ve made your way into town; it seems you’re managing well.”

 “Yes, I was interested in the availability of produce in town. I was thinking about reestablishing the orchard. It’s a shame to let those healthy crops go to waste.”

 “That’s wise of you. I’ll be honest, I was quite curious as to why you were here in the first place, but I seem to have my answer.”

 “You don’t think I belong here, do you?”

 “I am not one to dictate what others chose to do with their lives, nor do I have an opinion on said choices. I care only about a person’s intentions and if they may be pure.”

 “You seem to like morally sound individuals.”

 “That should be expected—a human without morals isn’t a human at all in my eyes. Your heart must be good.”

 “Fair enough.”

 “You, on the other hand, Jeon Jungkook, are an interesting character. I can’t quite read you yet.”

 “All the more reason to spend more time in my company.”

 “You’re sly, I’ll give you that, but I am not that easy to swoon.”

 “I like the challenge.”

 Taehyung shakes his head with a suppressed chuckle.

 “Good day, Jeon Jungkook.”

 Taehyung gives a dip of his hip, before leaving on his way.


 

 When Jungkook arrives home, Hoseok emerges from inside at the same moment. The only thing covering him is the corduroy straps of ill sized overalls, his skin wears a gleam of sweat and dirt while his gloved hands carry gardening tools. 

 “Morning.”

 “Morning.”

 Jungkook tries not to dwell too long on Hoseok’s appearance and forces himself inside. Hoseok scoffs to himself, continuing down to the orchard. Jungkook watches him from the upstairs window. He’s cautious and ensures that Hoseok can’t see him.

 It’s ridiculous. Why am I hiding from him? He doesn’t seem the slightest bit inconvenienced by last night, and yet here I am making this into something more than it need be. Am I supposed to pretend?

 Hoseok squats down, feeling around the soil with a tool. He picks some from below the surface and rubs it between his fingers. When he’s finished his calculations, he draws water from the river.

  When Jungkook least expects it, Hoseok locks eyes with him.

 “Enjoying the view?” He yells toward Jungkook, causing him to shrink behind the curtain, pulling bundles of fabric tight in his hands until his knuckles whitened.

 “Don’t be shy, Kook.”

 Jungkook takes a seep breath before remerging. Hoseok stands there, hand on his hip, the other shielding his eyes from the sun.

 “Well come on,” he waves Jungkook down with his hand, “I could use your help anyway.”


 Hoseok leads Jungkook down the rows of citrus trees for what feels like miles until they reached barren soil.

 “We have so much more potential here than I thought there are miles and miles of untouched land. We could even plant new crops, isn’t that exciting!”

 Jungkook can’t help but soften at Hoseok’s enthusiasm. With this discovery, hope felt solidified, and the possibility of starting anew was becoming more and more possible.

 “I appreciate you, Hoseok.”

 Hoseok takes his eyes from the land to Jungkook, his smile melting as they locked eyes.

 “All this. This life, are you truly set on living one of hard labor and uncertainty?”

 “It feels right.”

 “I’m happy for you, but you know you can’t hide out here forever. Your parents will begin to suspect something sooner or later.”

 “Believe me; I’m prepared to keep them complacent for as long I need before I build up the courage to tell them I want to give up my status as a noble.”

 “You realize what you’re losing when you say that, right?”

 “Look, I may have been born into this type of life, but that doesn’t mean I asked for it. I’m happy enough, living like everyone else in this town.”

 “I just hope you understand what you’re doing.”

 “But what of you? Surely you don’t want to stay here forever.”

 “I’m willing to stay here as long as you need me.”

 “And what if I’ll always need you?”

 “Then, so be it.”

 “Hoseok.”

 “Don’t Hoseok me. I already explained to you last night; you’re important to me.”

 Jungkook crosses his arms. He feels frustrated that nothing he says changes Hoseok’s decision. 


 The two spend the next hour and some minutes excavating the soil, placing seeds in hand-formed dirt domes. Hoseok walks through rows of budding crops, dripping water from a bucket as he goes down the line. Jungkook plops down in the dirt, throwing his head back in exasperation, He turns to Hoseok who is now brushing his hands off the sides of his pants.

 “I’m getting a tad hungry, you?”

 “I suppose.” 

 “Shall we call it a night? Even the sun has begun setting.”

 Jungkook glances over the horizon, the peachy hues melding together like an oil painting.

 “Don’t worry, I’ll cook,” Hoseok extends a hand to Jungkook, pulling him to his feet, “but I get to wash up first.”

 After helping Jungkook up, Hoseok scampers back to the house, leaving Jungkook alone standing in contrast to the rosy backdrop.


 Jungkook rests in his bedroom as Hoseok finished up his bath. Though when it seemed to be dragging on too long, Jungkook grew impatient. He proceeds close enough to the washroom that Hoseok can hear him, but not enough to be imposing on his privacy.

 “Are you almost done, Hoseok?”

 “If you really can’t wait, just come join me. The water is still warm.”

 “Don’t be so crude.”

 From the crack in the door, Jungkook can see the Hoseok laid in the tub, his back to him. His arms hug the sides of the container, causing his back muscles to flex together. Steam floats about the room as Jungkook pushes further in. “Are you almost finished?”

 He stands beside the tub now, arms crossed but still averting his gaze. He sighs, lifting himself from the water. 

 “You really have no shame.”

 “And you really like making things out to be worse than they are... unless there is another reason as to why you would be embarrassed.”

 He takes a step out of the tub toward him.

 “Do I make you nervous, Jungkook?”

 “You would make anyone nervous, acting like this.”

 Jungkook’s eyes search between the floor tiles, tracing the patterns visually. Unknowingly he holds his breath as he anticipated a response from Hoseok. But instead, he feels fingers glide through his hair, so brief that he doesn’t process it until Hoseok had already left.

  Jungkook washes in solitary, taking his time, enjoying the feeling of hot water on his skin.

 “You need to pull yourself together, Jungkook.”

 He couldn’t tell if he’d been flustered by the abrupt change, too passive to the actions of others, but he certainly wasn’t acting like himself.

 “I have to make a difference, and I can’t have people thinking lowly of me “

 He finishes washing the grime off, ensuring that everything was scrubbed clean.

 He exits the tub only to find that Hoseok had taken his robe, leaving him bare. Instead, he cups himself in his hands, yelling “thanks” before promptly shutting his bedroom door.


 Downstairs, Hoseok cooks jigae over the small fire pit. He adds fresh vegetables and spices as he stirs the pot with a wooden spoon. His hair, still wet, droops onto his forehead. He takes the spoon to his lips, sipping at the liquid and trying to distinguish the flavors. While he preps, Jungkook emerges down the stairs in whatever sleepwear he could find, looking notably more damp than Hoseok.

 “Are you really wearing my robe?”

 “It was the only one there,” Hoseok shrugs his shoulders, turning back to the food.

 Jungkook takes note of the array the side dishes scattered across the table, glasses filled to the brim with freshly made wine.

 “You really did all this on your own?”

 “It’s not much, I’ve just used what was here on the grounds. We’ll have to go to the market in town and get more supplies.”

 “Can I help with anything?”

 “No, just take a seat while I finish up.”

 Jungkook sits at the head of the small wooden table. He takes the wine glass in hand, sniffing the fruity aromas.

 “Did you make this too?”

 “Yes. Is it good?”

 “God, is there anything you can’t do?”

 “Well,” Hoseok lifts the pot off the fire and carries it toward the table, “that’s up for debate.”

 He sets it down in the center, tossing the clothes he used to carry it to the side.

 “Speaking of town, you went in today, right? Did you meet anyone, gather any information about the market ?”

 “No, just an old friend.” When Hoseok sees Jungkook smiling to himself, his expression drops.

 “Oh.” He slumps into his seat, “Him.”

 “Why do you sound so disagreeable.”

 “As if I have to agree with every man I meet?”

 “Not at all, but must you scowl every time I bring him up?”

 Hoseok spoons stew into a bowl, placing it in front of Jungkook. He turns back to the pot. His spoon was plunging in, pushing around the vegetables. Maybe it’s the wine, but Hoseok’s feeling especially frustrated.

 “I don’t have to like someone just because you like them, in fact, that makes me hate him even more. He acts entitled, and yet he can’t even see how false his world really is.”

 “I’ll only ask once that you not be so insensitive. It’s unlike you.” Jungkook needs the fabric of his pants.

 “I’m not going to apologize for what I said. I’m a man of truth.”

 When all else fails, Jungkook pushes up from his seat. The sound of the chair spurting back causes Hoseok to drop the spoon in the pot. It submerges beneath the boiling liquid.

 When He develops enough resolve to look at Jungkook, the tension has already risen. The silence draws on until Hoseok makes yet another relentless comment.

 “Doesn’t this seem hysterical? Becoming heated over a man, one whom I resent even calling a man, to begin with given his feminine looks. He isn’t worth the time, Jungkook.”

 Jungkook tries to restrain his anger, but again perhaps it’s the wine that sends his forearm into Hoseok’s jugular. The knock sends Hoseok back a few steps until he hits the wall headfirst. Jungkook continues, Positioning his hand now around Hoseok’s neck. Hoseok croaks,  his hands trying to pry at Jungkook’s as the latter applies pressure.

 “I need you to remember something,” He didn’t want to hurt Hoseok; in fact, the last thing he wanted to do was temper with their relationship. There are tears in Hoseok’s eyes as Jungkook finishes, “You may be older than me, but I am stronger.”

 An audible intake of air fills the room as Jungkook’s hand drops.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Happy 2020!

I've been preparing a long update! More to come, see you soon!